Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting (31581 Views)

ACCA Nigeria Exemptions ICAN & BSC Accounting / Bsc(ed),business Education Accounting Option. Vs. Bsc Accounting / Bsc Biochemistry Vs Bsc Community Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by neyyo101: 5:42am On Jul 06, 2012
ishmael: You have a valid point here. Universities also admit people with less than 5 credits thru Pre-Degree/Remedial programmes. People with passes in maths and english get admitted into the university and later re-write WAEC to make it up. Professors can't teach u what they don't see in the syllabus. The poly curriculum was designed by mostly uni lecturers and profs who made some ammendments and modifications making the poly curriculum richer than that of thier corresponing university curriculum.
ishmael: You have a valid point here. Universities also admit people with less than 5 credits thru Pre-Degree/Remedial programmes. People with passes in maths and english get admitted into the university and later re-write WAEC to make it up. Professors can't teach u what they don't see in the syllabus. The poly curriculum was designed by mostly uni lecturers and profs who made some ammendments and modifications making the poly curriculum richer than that of thier corresponing university curriculum.

Before getting to ND1,U MUST HAVE AT LEAST 5C with credit in Maths and English
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 6:12am On Jul 06, 2012
sweet9: Those who ended up with HND were the ones who were not accepted by universities...., but this is plane truth which everybody in Nigeria knows, anyway, i dont wish to talk detail on this issue.
The stone that was rejected by the builders has today become the cornerstone of the building. The HND guys have it as far as Accounting is concerned.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by yemmyma: 6:17am On Jul 06, 2012
Jarus:
Endorsed, even if not totally agreeing with everything.

I think your earlier post implied that uni accounting students are better which is contrary to chambers2 position.

tanimola22: From the debate so far, I may personally conclude that many top employers in Nigeria are indeed very mad for preferring less trained people to more trained people.

Or what else can one say?

T22

I will not want to believe that you actually meant what i am thinking of this post.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by nitrogen(m): 6:43am On Jul 06, 2012
Hnd vs b.sc, there is a difference between both, although it is the system that caused the discrimination but as long as the system is not changed, then no choice for the diploma guys. I am also partially disputing the fact that wider syllabus is covered in polys, it is the same.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by stevewale(m): 7:07am On Jul 06, 2012
All well said and done... I am a polytechnic graduate from Poly Ibadan. Also, a Chartered Accountant... Bsc or HND, if you want to be relevant
In d profession, then get Chartered. Either ACCA or ICAN. Considering what all these poly and univ are producing now... They are nothing to write home about. That's why in most cases, if its accountant's position it does not matter if its
Bsc or HND, all they nEed is ICAN certified candidate cos that's the only credible exam and professional body in Naija
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 06, 2012
[quote author=yemmy_ma]Of course this is a very good topic where statistics could have been the judge. But in the absence of it, i have also heard things like Polytechnic graduates do well in the ICAN exam or also more particular to Yabatech graduates of Accountancy.

My aunt had her HND in Accountancy from Moshood Abiola Polytechnic with her ICAN PE whatever it is called exam in 1998.She was exempted from the National Diploma. She has worked in the Local Government all her life even before she started the fact is, it all depend s on an individual and not he alma mater. uni or poly- a dumb guy is a dumb guy and a sharp guy is a sharp guy. period!
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by emmykk(m): 8:02am On Jul 06, 2012
plantation: Everything stil bores down to individual abilities. A student who found it so difficult to pass thru the University, wil stil not find it easy at the Polytechnic. I believe whether Bsc or HND, the curriculum is the same. However, Is passing ICAN the only parameter for measuring who a good accounting student is? Anyway, i jst think their on-field perfomance should be the ideal parameter. As a Lawyer, i can guarantee that most of those students who came out tops in our days at the nigerian Law School aren't anywhere around a decent and bouyant legal practice today. So like i said earlier, whether it's HND or Bsc, a gud accountant is a gud accountant and a bad one is stil a bad one. I REST MY CASE.
good report.the same debit and credit.ican test our quality.if u attend kings college and i attend 1 unknow school,but i should b able 2 past waec
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Ekowise(m): 8:03am On Jul 06, 2012
betrani: SO HOW COME WHEN EVER THESE BANKS ADVERTIZE POSITIONS, THEY OFTEN PREFER PEOPLE WITH HND CERTIFICATES, IF THE EXPERIENCE WASN'T A GOOD ONE? IS IT THAT THEY ARE SCARED OF PAYING B.SC HOLDERS LARGER SUMS, HALF OF WHICH THEY WOULD PREFER TO PAY A HND HOLDER OR WHAT? WHAT EXACTLY WAS UR EXPERIENCE? COS I ALWAYS THINK MYSELF; THAT POLYTECHNIC GRADUANDS ARE BETTER TRAINED THAN UNIVERSITY GRADUATES; PRACTICALLY ANYWAY NOT THEORITICALLY!
BAISE!!
If u ar nt ok wit d alrdy point den ur case is diferent. It's a FACTUAL issue and u cnt help it. Stop given urself hopes. If u ar a HND graduate, i advice u go 4 ur PGD & get ur Master fast. During dat u'll knw wht it means 2 be tot by Profs.
Being Good is a personal tin. Help urself dan sit and being baise. Ur Employ/HR wil nt listn 2 dat bcz u dnt knw beta dan dem in dis case.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Idrico(m): 8:43am On Jul 06, 2012
For me who have passed thru both polytechnics(OND and HND), got chartered before doing another 4 years at Unilag,I can tell you that the exposure and experience are different.HND holders are more determined to pass ICAN because they believe that is the only way they can match the university degree holders.Do note that approach toprofessional exams is totally different from academics.If you are not really determined you will find it very difficult to pass ICAN, because questions can be asked from anywhere in which the papers are linked to from foundation.

Therefore,in terms of resilience,I give it to HND holders.But in terms of academic standard nothing is comparable to university education.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by tanimola22: 8:49am On Jul 06, 2012
yemmy_ma:

I think your earlier post implied that uni accounting students are better which is contrary to chambers2 position.

I will not want to believe that you actually meant what i am thinking of this post.

Hi,

I think my submission (short passage) is abundantly clear, unless of course a conclusion is to be drawn outside of what I wrote. I've no hand in such a conclusion.

Employers should have their heads examined because it is astonishingly absurd (or economically irrational) to neglect more for less. Expected utility theory tells us that more value should normally be preferred to less value. I agree that some people violate the assumptions of expected utility theory, but labor contract theory tells me that expected utility assumptions are at the heart of labor contracts. So, I ask myself, why then would naija employers prefer less to more? Perhaps due to madness! Perhaps labor contract theory does not hold in naija labor market! For me sha, in my small way, I will never prefer less to more, unless I do not have any proof to conclude that item A offers more than item B.

As I much earlier remarked, at the end of the day, the desirably of a product is mostly determined by the final consumers of that product(and maybe the middle men), not the producers of the product. For sure, every producer will do anything possible to ensure that its product does well in the market. However, for a product to do well in the market, the final consumers must be willingly ready to embrace and consume it. This argument explains why Ecole Polytechnic graduates are revered, pampered and more favored than their university counterparts in France.

Previous poster(s) remarked that the comparison between poly and uni graduates is an effort in futility. I somewhat agree with that. At the end of the day, many competitive employers will mostly hire people that can bring valuable input to their businesses.

T22.

*** Market is not monopolistic, otherwise the above story will fail ayakata cheesy
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by yemmyma: 9:33am On Jul 06, 2012
Addressing this matter with economic theories i would say is absolutely uncalled for. I still would not want to say much on your submissions unless you clearly state what you meant by less and more. If what i conceived about your argument is true, then i will keep my judgments to myself unless i am really pushed to come back here and increase the intensity of this discussion.

For now, hope you are enjoying your holiday in naija smiley
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 06, 2012
Someone in the House is Comparing ANAN with ICAN i think ANAN is an exam that is meant for frustrated Accountant, especially people in the Public and Civil service that cannot pass ICAN, ANAN is no where recognized and you can never see any Professional people claiming that certificate.

As far as i am concern ANAN is an exam that is meant for Frustrated accountant that want to becomes a chartered accountant by force.

Back to the debated yes i agree that some polythecnic graduate pass ICAN eazily that Univerisity because most of them start the program from ATS,ICAN foundation levels so they are used to the Module/methods of the exam while most univeristy graduate join the exam at PE 11 level and find it difficults
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by tanimola22: 10:35am On Jul 06, 2012
yemmy_ma: Addressing this matter with economic theories i would say is absolutely uncalled for. I still would not want to say much on your submissions unless you clearly state what you meant by less and more. If what i conceived about your argument is true, then i will keep my judgments to myself unless i am really pushed to come back here and increase the intensity of this discussion.

For now, hope you are enjoying your holiday in naija smiley

Hi again,

It is about discussing what the other person says and what he has written down, not what we suspect he might be saying.

A sizable number of graduates hope to offer goods and services(labor and all) to willing consumers (employers), so economic analysis is never out of place.

The meaning of less and more simply follows from the claims made in some posts on the previous pages of this topic. You may want to go through the posts.

You are very much free to further argue your point. At the end of the day, everyone will be at least one step more educated. The facts I stated are really trivial facts long known in labor market analysis. It would be interesting though to have someone disprove what has been considered true for years.

Yeah, I'm enjoying naija. The only challenge is that money has been recklessly spent on fuel.

T22
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by yemmyma: 11:07am On Jul 06, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi again,

It is about discussing what the other person says and what he has written down, not what we suspect he might be saying.

A sizable number of graduates hope to offer goods and services(labor and all) to willing consumers (employers), so economic analysis is never out of place.

The meaning of less and more simply follows from the claims made in some posts on the previous pages of this topic. You may want to go through the posts.

You are very much free to further argue your point. At the end of the day, everyone will be at least one step more educated. The facts I stated are really trivial facts long known in labor market analysis. It would be interesting though to have someone disprove what has been considered true for years.

Yeah, I'm enjoying naija. The only challenge is that money has been recklessly spent on fuel.

T22

Well, i will just let this HND and BSC accounting pass. The only conclusion i have come up with is that almost all the contributors to this topic have made their argument based on the institution they attended in naija. Me and you included. So knowing which is actually better between both institutions from these discussions alone cannot be verified. I think the real evidence should be in the archives of the organizing body ICAN which has been the benchmark for accessing the competence of both sides. Other than that, the argument as you said earlier is a total waste of effort.

And as per your fuel, i am sure their is still more paper in that locker room. Just keep it open, this is naija!

barnabasj:
Someone in the House is Comparing ANAN with ICAN i think ANAN is an exam that is meant for frustrated Accountant, especially people in the Public and Civil service that cannot pass ICAN, ANAN is no where recognized and you can never see any Professional people claiming that certificate.

As far as i am concern ANAN is an exam that is meant for Frustrated accountant that want to becomes a chartered accountant by force.

Back to the debated yes i agree that some polythecnic graduate pass ICAN eazily that Univerisity because most of them start the program from ATS,ICAN foundation levels so they are used to the Module/methods of the exam while most univeristy graduate join the exam at PE 11 level and find it difficults

I am sure you referencing my earlier post. If you have understood me correctly, you will notice in this case a uni accounting grad with years of experience failed the exam while her lower ranked subordinate from a poly got qualified at one sitting. Mind you, she gained admission to study accounting at the poly using her ICAN results. There you have it.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 06, 2012
HND Accountancy Graduates are more experienced than Bsc Accounting graduates because they took part in the 4months Industrial Training after ND1 and 1 year Industrial Training after ND2 before they apply for HND. During that training they acquired working experience while the Bsc holders didn't.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by LFJ: 12:18pm On Jul 06, 2012
Uncanny Genius: HND Accountancy Graduates are more experienced than Bsc Accounting graduates because they took part in the 4months Industrial Training after ND1 and 1 year Industrial Training after ND2 before they apply for HND. During that training they acquired working experience while the Bsc holders didn't.

The standard say get a place to do your IT, how many people get a place to do IT, so technically no training.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
LFJ:

This standard say get a place to do your IT, how many people get a place to do IT, so technically no training.

apart from the IT, the courses they do in ND, some 300L students havn't done them of which they polytechnics have covered more of it, so its not a mater of the IT alone but the volume of work they do
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by chamber2(m): 12:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
^^

Can you pls provide facts and figures? This conjectures won't lead us anywhere. You mentioned courses, what are these courses?

You said ICAN, can we have a detailed research release from ICAN stating that the poly grads perform better than Uni grads?

Can we have industry reports to that effect?? Employers survey/reports?

Any of these??

All these chest beating is just unnecessary.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by sambal: 12:44pm On Jul 06, 2012
PROPERTIES FOR SALE

1. An area of land measuring 520.94m2 with R.C. documents situated on Ipodo Road, Ikeja area of Lagos (N50Million Asking Price)
2. An area plot of land measuring 755.408m2, a corner-piece and dry land with C of O under processing @ Ogudu G.R.A Phase 2, Lagos State. (Call For Price)
3. An area plot of land measuring 2.779 hectares within Flower Gate Scheme Extension along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway with C of O. (Call For Price)
4. Area plots of land measuring 1,141.982m2, 964.044m2, 1,102.58m2, 900m2 situated at Riverview Estate, Isheri North, Ogun State with C of O and they all corner-piece. (Call For Price)
5. A 5 hectares area plot of land for proposed advance Modern Technology Residential Estate with a Global C of O @ Riverview Estate, Isheri North, Ogun State. It has a significant potential for residential estate. (Call For Price)
6. An area plot of land measuring 2 Hectares with C of O situated on Lagos/Ibadan Expressway, immediately after Redemption Camp, Ogun state. (Call For Price)
7. An area plot of land measuring 2,477.763m2 with C of O, partially with perimeter fencing proposed double-gate facing two different main roads @ Riverview Estate, Isheri North, Ogun State. It is good for hotel, shopping mall and any commercial activities. (Call For Price)
8. An area plot of land measuring 1,200m2 fenced with double-gates, receipt and surveyed situated at Tola Adegoke Street, adjacent YETKEM International School, Ajasa Command area, (N5million Net).
9. A block of 7no 3bedroom flats property along Muritala Muhammad Airport Road, Ajao Estate, Lagos State with C of O. (Call For Price)
10. A land measuring 1,104.74m2 at Asokoro, Abuja fenced with gate secured with C of O. (Call For price)

For further details, visit us at Mass Investment Holdings Ltd., 5B, Adedeji Close, Off Opebi, Ikeja, Lagos State of call Segun/Folorunso on 08060437687 or 08075995333.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Boyoorisha: 12:56pm On Jul 06, 2012
ishmael: No source broda, it's "dem say". I want to find out from Accountants if this is true. I have equally seen the quality in HND Acctancy graduates, they are better and more skillful than the Bsc Acctng graduates. I have worked with them before. May be it's a fluke.
Well, you are very correct. But that does not mean uni grads are not good, one can only get proficiency in accountancy through the method of teaching in polytechnics. They teach technical aspects of accounting in poly which give their serious students a good root in accountancy. As regards the statistics at ICAN, yes ICAN has more poly grads as members than the Uni. May be this is as a result of their efforts to brace up the HND thing
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
chamber2: ^^

Can you pls provide facts and figures? This conjectures won't lead us anywhere. You mentioned courses, what are these courses?

You said ICAN, can we have a detailed research release from ICAN stating that the poly grads perform better than Uni grads?

Can we have industry reports to that effect?? Employers survey/reports?

Any of these??

All these chest beating is just unnecessary.
Boyoorisha:
Well, you are very correct. But that does not mean uni grads are not good, one can only get proficiency in accountancy through the method of teaching in polytechnics. They teach technical aspects of accounting in poly which give their serious students a good root in accountancy. As regards the statistics at ICAN, yes ICAN has more poly grads as members than the Uni. May be this is as a result of their efforts to brace up the HND thing
thats the answer
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 1:58pm On Jul 06, 2012
lecorn:

thats the answer
Thanx for showing him the answer.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by tuasefemi(m): 2:16pm On Jul 06, 2012
Poly grdts seem 2 ve won ds debate....am not surprised though,w@ do u expect,they re not recognised & they need recognition.....they were rejected wen they were seeking admission,they are always spelt out clearly as not qualified 2 apply in most job adverts,they re seen as those who can not head any organisation,.....hmmm,are these not enough reasons 4 them 2 go extra mile in making sure they excel in any professional exams?...this of course would earn them some form of recognition which they lack.....there's no poly grats d@ would nt want 2 die weneva ds kind of debate is going on but just ask dem if any1 of dem would encourage their children 2 attend anytin less dan uni even 4 free.....unfortunately,dey wil bluntly reject it, in fact wt 'holy ghost fire'
I don't want 2 be a judge here,we always have judges-d employers & post graduate schools
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by tanimola22: 2:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
[quote author=yemmy_ma]

Well, i will just let this HND and BSC accounting pass. The only conclusion i have come up with is that almost all the contributors to this topic have made their argument based on the institution they attended in naija. Me and you included. So knowing which is actually better between both institutions from these discussions alone cannot be verified. I think the real evidence should be in the archives of the organizing body ICAN which has been the benchmark for accessing the competence of both sides. Other than that, the argument as you said earlier is a total waste of effort.

And as per your fuel, i am sure their is still more paper in that locker room. Just keep it open, this is naija!

/quote]

It is fine to disagree with someone. This is very well encouraged, especially when we feel strongly about our perspectives. But it is also good to do so with sound points that actually negate whatever the person earlier claimed, not just a general statement discrediting the person's point of view. At least, this is the method of debate I am used to for some years now.

There was never a time I took sides with any form of higher education, whether poly or university. I have no time for such futile effort as I strictly work with facts and figures, not e be like say. If you have time, please go through my posts on this particular topic. You will see how very detached I am from taking sides. So, I do not see how my unbiased submissions are structured to favor the kind of higher institution I attended. Unless you are saying that the fact that [i]consumers of a good determine how far the good will go [/i]is only taught at a certain type of higher institution. To the best of my knowledge, I am not sure this is true. I only stated an obvious and a universally acceptable fact. If you feel my points are biased, please show me how.

All the points I made in my earlier posts have nothing to do with the type of institution I attended. I just reinforced simple facts that I hope everyone should easily relate to. If you think they are lies, please endeavor to specifically tell us why you think so. It won't be bad for known facts to be disproved, especially here on nairaland.

T22.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by tanimola22: 2:38pm On Jul 06, 2012
tuasefemi: Poly grdts seem 2 ve won ds debate....am not surprised though,w@ do u expect,they re not recognised & they need recognition.....they were rejected wen they were seeking admission,they are always spelt out clearly as not qualified 2 apply in most job adverts,they re seen as those who can not head any organisation,.....hmmm,are these not enough reasons 4 them 2 go extra mile in making sure they excel in any professional exams?...this of course would earn them some form of recognition which they lack.....there's no poly grats d@ would nt want 2 die weneva ds kind of debate is going on but just ask dem if any1 of dem would encourage their children 2 attend anytin less dan uni even 4 free.....unfortunately,dey wil bluntly reject it, in fact wt 'holy ghost fire'
I don't want 2 be a judge here,we always have judges-d employers & post graduate schools

I think the final consumers of any form of training and education are the employers of labor. Graduate schools produce graduate degree holders(goods), professional exams further refine the graduate (and other) degree holders(refined goods) while employers finally consume them (employ them, require their services). So, in the standard labor reasoning, which I happen to wholly agree with, most things depend on the perception of the final consumers. It is as trivially simple as that.

In this case, please note that the producers and refiners can also be employers of labor, but I weakly assume that they are solely charged with the responsibility of developing human capital.

T22
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 3:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
tanimola22:

I think the final consumers of any form of training and education are the employers of labor. Graduate schools produce graduate degree holders(goods), professional exams further refine the graduate (and other) degree holders(refined goods) while employers finally consume them (employ them, require their services). So, in the standard labor reasoning, which I happen to wholly agree with, most things depend on the perception of the final consumers. It is as trivially simple as that.

In this case, please note that the producers and refiners can also be employers of labor, but I weakly assume that they are solely charged with the responsibility of developing human capital.

T22
Hey man, i like ur contributions on this thread. U're never biased.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by Toshibasexy(m): 3:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
mikeapollo: Have you compared the standard of qualification required for entrance into universities and polytechnics?

Until recently, Nigerian polytechnics were admitting candidates with just 3 credits at WAEC/O Level(even if without Engl/Maths) while Universities dis not compromise on 5 credits at a maximum of 2 sittings. There was also JAMB requirement(very tough in those years) for university admission while the Polytechnics had no entrance exams!

So the standards were different.
University education gives an all-round education in other field related to your discpline, while polytechnics tend to concentrate more on ur discipline.

However, this does not mean that a university student is more intelligent or more brilliant than a poly student. It only means that one is comng from an environment with higher expected standards.
In the end, a poly graduate can do better if he works hard (likewise for a university graduate)
But there should be no controversy.....University education is at a higher level than Poly education. Not only in Nigeria, but worldwide. But the Nigerian situation of unemployment has made everybody to rush for the ultimate choice(university education) in order to have a better chance of securing jobs in the labour market. Both schools play very important roles in the economy/educational sector.

The best universities are almost always a notch higher than the best polytechnics
if i don't know anything and wanted to have 9 A'S in my waec i know how to go about it even if i want to have 350 in jamb i know how to go about it shey you know?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 4:02pm On Jul 06, 2012
Toshibasexy: if i don't know anything and wanted to have 9 A'S in my waec i know how to go about it even if i want to have 350 in jamb i know how to go about it shey you know?
Yes, that's why we have people who ought to have gone to learn hand work getting 9 A's in WAEC and going into the university to study. At the end of the day they still find a way to graduate with 2.1 or 2.2. It is when u employ them to work in ur firm that u would realised that a trained monkey would have been doing the job better than they do.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by veraponpo(m): 4:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
I am a BSc Accounting holder fom OAU and I can tell u categorically that BSc Accounting is better than HND although depending on the individual in question.I became qualified almost immediately I finished my NYSC so also my friends, in facts, some of my frinds are ICAN award winners. Bsc holder is expected to do all accounting programmes in school plus other management courses like psycology, sociology, philosophy,political science, etc to equip him more for the society. This makes him a manager and not an accounting technician.

However, HND may do well too if he is a serious student but can only be a under a BSc holder due to different academic backgrounds.
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by gaskydudu: 4:36pm On Jul 06, 2012
LFJ:
As at today u need 5 credit to gain admission to both Uni and poly; before 2010 few people gained admission with 4 credit, Maths and English inclusive, majority were with 5 credits. The only occasion you can see people with less than 5 credits and with either no credit in Eng or Maths is when you have people that gained admission through pre ND, and this happen in Uni too with those that came through remedial. ACCA and CIMA are rated higher not because they are better than ICAN in term of quality, but because of their international outlook, so let us forget about the story of this or that analysis.

The reason why we are having this type of debate is because those who establish both institutions don’t even know what they intent to gain from having them. I may not be able to talk about other discipline, but for accounting, I can talk about both institution, the polytechnic students have more understanding of accounting issue than the University students.

You equally talk about exposure, that those in Uni have more exposure than those in Poly, what exposure other than proud to be lecture by professor. May be there is something that is new to me, I am here to learn.

1. What you have said is your assumption, not the generally accepted and empirically tested one with regards to ACCA. What justification do you have about the quality of the courses? As a qualified accountant in ACCA you are recognised in ICAN but not the other way round. Isn't that enough? I never compared the quality of the course but the method...and what hasn't quality to do with the international outlook..C'mon!

2. 'Before 2010, a few people gained admission with 4 credit...' The fact people gained with less qualifications is still given. Two years ago is too short to even compare the standards. It will take a longer while for the entry standard to be accepted socially.

3. My initial contribution used the general average comparison between poltechnics and universities. Please note that cos there could be wide variances. However, education is NOT only about reading and doing your courseworks, the quality and experience which are shared from lecturers come in, the learning environment and the brand. How many professors do u have in an average good university to a polytechnic? Those things count. Have you ever considered a BSc in OAU or Havard? Or better still, a mushroom uni in the US against Havard? Yeah they practically teach the same thing but different methods cos of the quality and experience of their teachers.

4. I know this issue is quite emotional/controversial, but in my opinion the AVERAGE university graduate has more opportunities than a polytechnic graduate. With regards to exposure, I have worked with enough of them for over a decade to justify my assumption. I have also come across very smart ones, no doubt about that, but my assumption is on the AVERAGE.

5. If you feel so strongly about polytechnics, why don't you let your sibblings or kids (if you have) attend?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 4:38pm On Jul 06, 2012
veraponpo: I am a BSc Accounting holder fom OAU and I can tell u categorically that BSc Accounting is better than HND although depending on the individual in question.I became qualified almost immediately I finished my NYSC so also my friends, in facts, some of my frinds are ICAN award winners. Bsc holder is expected to do all accounting programmes in school plus other management courses like psycology, sociology, philosophy,political science, etc to equip him more for the society. This makes him a manager and not an accounting technician.

However, HND may do well too if he is a serious student but can only be a under a BSc holder due to different academic backgrounds.
Why should HND + ICAN holder be under a Bsc holder? On what basis?
Re: HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting by ishmael(m): 4:44pm On Jul 06, 2012
veraponpo: I am a BSc Accounting holder fom OAU and I can tell u categorically that BSc Accounting is better than HND although depending on the individual in question.I became qualified almost immediately I finished my NYSC so also my friends, in facts, some of my frinds are ICAN award winners. Bsc holder is expected to do all accounting programmes in school plus other management courses like psycology, sociology, philosophy,political science, etc to equip him more for the society. This makes him a manager and not an accounting technician.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Success Story As A Civil Engineer Earning 7 Figures / Lagos Bus Conductors To Wear Uniforms From January 1 2018 / 400k Salary, but nothing.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.