Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,209 members, 7,807,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities (9708 Views)

Poll: Would swearing by our deities/irunmole work for our governance

Yes, It will definitely work: 85% (91 votes)
No, It can never work: 14% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

African Ancient Deities Vs Western God / Who Is The Most Powerful Pastor/prophet In Nigeria Be Host Pls / Why Christianity Will Always Be Better Than Islam- FROM AN ATHEIST! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ghostofsparta(m): 1:29am On Jun 12, 2012
If our sinators, legislooters, politrickcians, governors, ministers, commissioners etc were made to swear whatever promises and manifestoes they meant before assuming office under the presence of our deities (Amadioha, Ayilala, Shango, Ogun, Shopana) wouldn't their be 25hours of electricity supply and good roads and other social amenities. The argument of the possibility that the swearer can go back and offer something to the priests in order to revert the effect of the oath made can be easily resolved by televising the whole process on NTA or AIT where the politician/president/governor will be making such an oath with the provisio that in the event of him/her attempting to reverse the sworn oath...may 'so so and so' happen. That condition of the oath and the 'so, so and so' provisio would be an an agreed upon 'curse'. I know many would disagree with this benevolent measure because of their cling to foreign religions brought onto them by Euro-Arab colonialists/jihadists. These religions have rendered our society retrogressive and decadent since 1914.

8 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ZUBY77(m): 4:16am On Jun 12, 2012
You definitely have an idea here. I guess they know that their Gods and Allahs dont act fast enough in punishing them. If a bill for such comes up, i will support it. Not that i beieve in deities but fear will hold them up.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ghostofsparta(m): 5:57am On Jun 12, 2012
ZUBY77: You definitely have an idea here. I guess they know that their Gods and Allahs dont act fast enough in punishing them. If a bill for such comes up, i will support it. Not that i beieve in deities but fear will hold them up.

I don't see it as an idea rather a panacea to the multifaceted problems that afflicts Nigeria. You said 'fast enough' as if they've ever acted. Why does the God of C&I acts through a medium - supposedly revealed book? Why do most Nigerians associate the happenings in their realities to how the holy B&Q can interpretes it. Suppose you were to go into a business partnership with someone on a deal that bears the prospect of yielding huge, unimaginable profits; for instance a situation very similar to what happened in the movie 'The Social Network' - and you were given two options of swearing with the Bible/Quran or Ogun/Shango, would you have gone for the Ogun/Shango option because of the fear it MAY strike you if you don't adhere to the conditions of whatever oath that you must have sworn? No qualms if you don't believe in deities since infact the the word 'deity' isn't Ghanian nor is it a Calabar language. But do you believe in Irunmole/Orisha?

3 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ZUBY77(m): 6:28am On Jun 12, 2012
I dont trust anything that demands for my soul and that includes orisha
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Nobody: 10:57am On Jun 12, 2012
that would be the best, the diety of my village kills exactly 4days from the day you break the oath.

7 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ghostofsparta(m): 12:05pm On Jun 12, 2012
ZUBY77: I dont trust anything that demands for my soul and that includes orisha

Is that what you think or what your religion have brainwashed you to believe, or perhaps your understanding of the 'soul' is a reflection of literature works such as The Faustus Legend. My brother, our deities don't require the soul as a price for their service. You are probably mis-interpreting the African deities to mean 'demon' which are usually connected with the 'soul' of which both are white man's concept. The Yorubas don't have a close translation for them. Nevertheless you can checkout my take on the soul here: www.nairaland.com/954879/human-clones-souls/5#11051728

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jun 12, 2012
ghostofsparta:

Is that what you think or what your religion have brainwashed you to believe, or perhaps your understanding of the 'soul' is a reflection of literature works such as The Faustus Legend. My brother, our deities don't require the soul of a price for their service. You are probably mis-interpreting the African deities to mean 'demon' which are usually connected with the 'soul' of which both are white man's concept. The Yorubas don't have a close translation for them. Nevertheless you can checkout my take on the soul here: www.nairaland.com/954879/human-clones-souls/5#11051728
Nigeria would be better if the humans/citizens living within begin to look beyond tribalism and religion. When the people develop an intense hatred for mediocrity, when the people decide to be more aware of their role in nation building..

These stupid gods, Allah and Yaweh have certainly not done their work, thieves have sworn on the Bible and Quran, stolen public funds and then built temples/churches/mosques for the same God.. the foolish African gods meanwhile watched as their land was raped by the WHITE man and did nothing about it... I rather choose to believe and trust the power of my mind and hands, than in any gods/Gods...

2 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by emofine2(f): 12:32pm On Jun 12, 2012
@OP This is an interesting topic and I contemplated and briefly discussed this with another individual some time ago.
It seems as if some if not many Nigerians fear the traditional curses and gods much more than the imported ones thus will they be more faithful if they swore under a native god(s) with consequence?

Would Nigeria be better off?

I guess what you really mean is if their life literally depended on Nigeria’s success then would those necessary changes be made?

Hmmn....

I think it will depend which dwells greater in the individual...fear or greed.

I think it is an interesting experiment but one that will for various reasons will not be welcomed and that is also due to the perception of traditional beliefs i.e “uncivilized"...”idolatry”..."witchcraft" etc

But are there not rival gods? Couldn’t the swearer back him/herself with another god to render themselves immune from consequences?...and what about those who actually have no beliefs in these native customs (they are thus not bound by fear or superstition)? ....or what about those with a contrary faith (whether imported or not)...is it permissible to submit a contrary believer under rituals that they do not observe?

Despite the “if’s” and “but's” I do certainly understand where you (the OP) is coming from.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ghostofsparta(m): 12:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
991: that would be the best, the diety of my village kills exactly 4days from the day you break the oath.

Do you know the name of the deity? Would like to add it to my research.
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by emofine2(f): 12:41pm On Jun 12, 2012
991: that would be the best, the diety of my village kills exactly 4days from the day you break the oath.

ghostofsparta:

grin
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ghostofsparta(m): 2:12pm On Jun 12, 2012
musKeeto:
Nigeria would be better if the humans/citizens living within begin to look beyond tribalism and religion. When the people develop an intense hatred for mediocrity, when the people decide to be more aware of their role in nation building..

These stupid gods, Allah and Yaweh have certainly not done their work, thieves have sworn on the Bible and Quran, stolen public funds and then built temples/churches/mosques for the same God.. the foolish African gods meanwhile watched as their land was raped by the WHITE man and did nothing about it... I rather choose to believe and trust the power of my mind and hands, than in any gods/Gods...

How is it possible for the citizens to look beyond tribalism and colonial-imposed religions when you like most fail to accept the brutal fact that the colonial experimentation called Nigeria was a result of the AMALGAMATION of incompatible tribes whose consent weren't sought prior to its formation in 1914.(note the 419 in the date). Now can I force you to marry a lady who's not only strange to you but also don't love? Your sincere answer would be NO...but then again you could if under duress. If I point a gun at you to commit bestiality with animals, does that mean you should go on when I am gone? My pont is senatorialism is Italian by origin, democracy is a western thing, these and others aren't ours but are intrinsical to governing a nation, the whites who originated this system can practice it because not only do they respect and obey rule of law but also because they don't want anarchy. And since we now find ourselves to be copying their system of government, I see no reason why we shouldn't integrate our traditional check and balances to it just as its done in certain Asian countries.

For you to have expressed your thought that the foolish African gods stood by and watched how their lands were raped shows that you are just like the majority who haven't researched deep but chose to believe whatever they are told or heard from a 'pepper-soup joint talk and pro-Euro-Arab religious pastors and imams/alfas. Are you familiar with the saying that 'the victor rewrites history'. Our deities don't act like the ones you must have read in some books about Greek/Roman myths, ours are propitiated when a task is needed from them and in the case of 'slavery' some tribes never saw it coming while others who did through the IFA oracle neglected several heedings and sacrifices that if when done would avert it, though from my research, I garnered that the Odu that came out to address the 'slavery' phenomenon was such that it is bound to happen for certain reasons.

Another mistake most Nigerians make, which you also did is to single in only the WHITES as the sole perpetrators of black slavery. Infact I can tell you that the Arabs did more damage to Africa than the whites. In primary school we were all made to believe the whites were the ones responsible for black slavery, pointing accusing fingers to them..A misleading lie...the Arabs devastated Africa for 4centuries, Uthman dan Fodio, a black Arab who alone controlled the largest slave economy in West Africa. At least we can today see the descendants/generations of black slaves that were carted away to New World as Africican-Americans but the same can be said of the blacks slaves that were marched to Arab emirates and the males were castrated and turned to eunuchs in order for them not to be aroused when commanded to fetch their harems and thus blacks couldn't perpetuate among themselves there.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by buzugee(m): 2:22pm On Jun 12, 2012
whats that deity called ? machete ?
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 12, 2012
ghostofsparta:
How is it possible for the citizens to look beyond tribalism and colonial-imposed religions when you like most fail to accept the brutal fact that the colonial experimentation called Nigeria was a result of the AMALGAMATION of incompatible tribes whose consent weren't sought prior to its formation in 1914.(note the 419 in the date). Now can I force you to marry a lady who's not only strange to you but also don't love? Your sincere answer would be NO...but then again you could if under duress. If I point a gun at you to commit bestiality with animals, does that mean you should go on when I am gone?
First off, I believe Nigeria could have been the greatest fiction ever told. I believe with the clueless President currently leading the nation, this nation's ending could be written before 2015.
I fully understand your point, but I replied to your post based on current Nigerian system, not one that I wish for..

ghostofsparta:
My pont is senatorialism is Italian by origin, democracy is a western thing, these and others aren't ours but are intrinsical to governing a nation, the whites who originated this system can practice it because not only do they respect and obey rule of law but also because they don't want anarchy. And since we now find ourselves to be copying their system of government, I see no reason why we shouldn't integrate our traditional check and balances to it just as its done in certain Asian countries.
Fully agree..

ghostofsparta:
For you to have expressed your thought that the foolish African gods stood by and watched how their lands were raped shows that you are just like the majority who haven't researched deep but chose to believe whatever they read from historical books. Are you familiar with the saying that 'the victor rewrites history'. Our deities don't act like the ones you must have read in some books about Greek/Roman myths, ours are propitiated when a task is needed from them and in the case of 'slavery' some tribes never saw it coming while others who did through the IFA oracle neglected several heedings and sacrifices that if when done would avert it, though from my research, I garnered that the Odu that came out to address the 'slavery' phenomenon was such that it is bound to happen for certain reasons.
I have heard that, i think from the popular Call of Duty game series. Lots of new info you've given me here and I may have to go back to study my history. It might be shameful, but I recently started reading 'Things fall Apart' to get an idea of how our society was run before the WHITES came. Do you have any books or links through which one can get more info? Thanks in advance.

ghostofsparta:
Another mistake most Nigerians make, which you also did is to single in only the WHITES as the sole perpetrators of black slavery. Infact I can tell you that the Arabs did more damage to Africa than the whites. In primary school we were all made to believe the whites were the ones responsible for black slavery, pointing accusing fingers to them..A misleading lie...the Arabs devastated Africa for 4centuries, Uthman dan Fodio, a black Arab who alone controlled the largest slave economy in West Africa. At least we can today see the descendants/generations of black slaves that were carted away to New World as Africican-Americans but the same can be said of the blacks slaves that were matched to Arab kingdoms because the males were castrated and turned to eunuchs in order for them not to be aroused when commanded to fetch their harems and thus blacks couldn't perpetuate among themselves there.
Hmm... interesting info. I'd keep an open mind, till you post links or resources on which you based your research..
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2012
ghostofsparta:

it is called "Arusi-Ogbunizu" unfortunately you cant find it online, unless you wish to visit it to do your research undecided

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ghostofsparta(m): 2:45pm On Jun 12, 2012
991:

it is called "Arusi-Ogbunizu" unfortunately you cant find it online, unless you wish to visit it to do your research undecided

Ofcouse I know it can't be found online and I wouldn't intend to visit it if you can tell me more about it here for us to learn.
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ghostofsparta(m): 3:17pm On Jun 12, 2012
emöfine2: @OP This is an interesting topic and I contemplated and briefly discussed this with another individual some time ago.
It seems as if some if not many Nigerians fear the traditional curses and gods much more than the imported ones thus will they be more faithful if they swore under a native god(s) with consequence?

Would Nigeria be better off?

I guess what you really mean is if their life literally depended on Nigeria’s success then would those necessary changes be made?

Hmmn....

I think it will depend which dwells greater in the individual...fear or greed.

I think it is an interesting experiment but one that will for various reasons will not be welcomed and that is also due to the perception of traditional beliefs i.e “uncivilized"...”idolatry”..."witchcraft" etc

But are there not rival gods? Couldn’t the swearer back him/herself with another god to render themselves immune from consequences?...and what about those who actually have no beliefs in these native customs (they are thus not bound by fear or superstition)? ....or what about those with a contrary faith (whether imported or not)...is it permissible to submit a contrary believer under rituals that they do not observe?

Despite the “if’s” and “but's” I do certainly understand where you (the OP) is coming from.

Both corruption and greed are just part of the several human nature which is mainly triggered and fuelled by X. Let us assume X to be 'the absence of certain conditioning force or check and balances'. If X is a triggerer of malevolent human nature, then there must be Y which is the opposite of the purpose of X because it suppresses the triggering effect of X.

Y is not to inspire fear but to enforce a condition that counteract the triggering result of X where it will self-act whenever the condition in which it was programmed is breached.

Why can't we implement Y into the equation of our reality here in Yorubaland if not Nigeria?

And no the swearer can't be made immune by even a deity/god he personally propitiates in his home provided he has sworn an oath under another deity. Yoruba cosmogony is similar to computer GIGO (garbage in garbage out)... When anyone or leader is to swear under these deities, every possible turnaround would also be sworn into it as 'if I shall in anyway attempt to reverse or appeal to...in order to exempt myself from the wrath of....may Z happen.

Z can be a curse of
1. Thunder striking(Shango)
2. Instantaneous drying of blood or mysterious accident involving metal (Ogun)
3. Having himself/Herself and offsprings afflicted with incurable terrible diseases until death.

I am not a sadist but I, like millions of suffering Nigerians are victims of sadistic leaders in power. They just brought the light bill now which is exactly N3,728 for a supply that didn't make up to 48 hours in a month. They bring their light and everyone shouts 'Up Nepa' and as I begin to charge or iron the clothe, they just take it off until at times midnight. This is Psychological torture and yet people don't have a choice than to pay for fear of disconnection. This is rainy season, bad roads and pot holes everywhere gives walkers a lot of injuries in my area due to sliding from slippery untarred roads and streets while the top officials at the local government rides their jeep and SUV over the undulate wacky terrains that constitute most of Lagos suburbs.

Emofine, what is your understanding of term 'witchcraft'? Do you think it's the same thing with what the Yorubas call 'Aje'?

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Afam4eva(m): 3:32pm On Jun 12, 2012
I don't support this because we'll have to be conducting elections every week.

3 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by amosy007: 3:32pm On Jun 12, 2012
I think it will be a good idea.. Buh i dnt tink its guna change anything... U know naija now and the get rich quicky syndrome.. I bet if they start it today... Our politrikians will still find a way of bribing those that will carry out swearing (i mean the priests) to over turn the thing so it wnt have any effect
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by honeric01(m): 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
afam4eva:

I don't think so because we are likely never going to have an candidates for any election because Nigerians (most) are corrupt from birth so they won't dare contest.
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by amosy007: 3:43pm On Jun 12, 2012
ZUBY77: I dont trust anything that demands for my soul and that includes orisha
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ghostofsparta(m): 3:44pm On Jun 12, 2012
afam4eva:

Lol! At least it will filter out those who don't intend good life for it people. As it is now most Nigerians aren't living just merely existing.
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Afam4eva(m): 3:44pm On Jun 12, 2012
honeric01:

I don't think so because we are likely never going to have an candidates for any election because Nigerians (most) are corrupt from birth so they won't dare contest.
You have a point. But even those that are clean won't want to contest for fear of Amadioha and Sango striking them mistakenly.
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ghostofsparta(m): 3:47pm On Jun 12, 2012
amosy007:
do u have a soul? grin

Please let don't trivialise this topic into insult. Ofcourse he has a soul just like you and I simply because we have minds that can think, memorize, deduce, etc
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Joey82(m): 3:48pm On Jun 12, 2012
well, u can only swear by what you believe in, what u dont believe in cannot have any effect on you, any aboki that swears to amadioha will not be struck by thunder.
funny enof the politicians/leaders will tell u they dont believe in those deities and they cant be coarsed to doing so.
I only pray God of the bible and Allah of the quaran hastens action on these corrupt lot.
'cos like my friend said, "hell is empty, all the demons are in abuja" milking us dry....ish

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by ebamma(m): 3:49pm On Jun 12, 2012
even if the swear by amadioha or ogun,it won't matter,cos even the priest that protect dis deities can be bribed and then the vow won't have any effect again.
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by amosy007: 3:56pm On Jun 12, 2012
ghostofsparta:

Please let don't trivialise this topic into insult. Ofcourse he has a soul just like you and I simply because we have minds that can think, memorize, deduce, etc
was just joking man! Nothin personal o.. Me i just dnt believe in all d soul crap
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by abhosts(m): 3:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
Ngige broke the oath he made to a local god and nothing happened to him. Remember Okija?
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by odumchi: 3:57pm On Jun 12, 2012
Good luck trying to get a staunch Muslim (or even a Christian for that matter) to swear to Ibini Ukpabi.
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Afam4eva(m): 3:58pm On Jun 12, 2012
abhosts: Ngige broke the oath he made to a local god and nothing happened to him. Remember Okija?
Were you there when he made the oat? It should have been televised live.

2 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Iskra: 4:07pm On Jun 12, 2012
@ghostofsparta...I love this ur post sha...unleash it on all these mealy mouthed religious gays and prostitutes who no nothing about deity...the very reason why our society is decrepit and sunken into deep slumber is becos of these religions of strangers who have come to subjugate not just our bodies but most especially our minds.These touristic religions that require you to visit and spend your money each year...when you dont have..then go and borrow and come and be reminded of the lies that were told and perpetuated over time.true deity does laugh at this charade and those who know should keep saying it.The religions of christianity,islam and any other one that may rear its head in the future needs to be checked.I must be clear though..its religion that is the problem....and not spirituality...for the one is different from the other and they dont have anything in common.
Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 12, 2012
OKIJA JUJU, where are u?
i'd love to read ur view on this thread
no fall my hand o.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Be Better Off, If Our Leaders Swears By Our Ancient Deities by emofine2(f): 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2012
ghostofsparta: Emofine, what is your understanding of term 'witchcraft'? Do you think it's the same thing with what the Yorubas call 'Aje'?

I don’t know anything about “Aje”...enlighten me?

Although I don’t invest much thought into that in which is tagged as “witchcraft” my little understanding of the term is that its associations are negative and is usually used in a context to refer to something/someone supposedly evil.

But just to be clear I am not averse to traditional beliefs but admittedly I have no inclination to them either. When I listed “witchcraft” as a usual attachment to the native beliefs I was not projecting any personal sentiments just reeling the usual negative connotations attached to the native beliefs...”witchcraft” being one of them.

Both corruption and greed are just part of the several human nature which is mainly triggered and fuelled by X. Let us assume X to be 'the absence of certain conditioning force or check and balances'. If X is a triggerer of malevolent human nature, then there must be Y which is the opposite of the purpose of X because it suppresses the triggering effect of X.

Y is not to inspire fear but to enforce a condition that counteract the triggering result of X where it will self-act whenever the condition in which it was programmed is breached.

Why can't we implement Y into the equation of our reality here in Yorubaland if not Nigeria?

And no the swearer can't be made immune by even a deity/god he personally propitiates in his home provided he has sworn an oath under another deity. Yoruba cosmogony is similar to computer GIGO (garbage in garbage out)... When anyone or leader is to swear under these deities, every possible turnaround would also be sworn into it as 'if I shall in anyway attempt to reverse or appeal to...in order to exempt myself from the wrath of....may Z happen.

Hmm very interesting...but I do wonder how the systems are in the other traditional beliefs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Evidences That God Exist / Fulfilling Your Role In A Struggling Marriage As A Christian Spouse / Reasons Financial Prosperity Doesn't Answer To Prayers Directly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.