Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,371 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:21 PM

Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him (32662 Views)

Tinubu Shaken By Fashola’s Threat To Expose Him / Farouk Lawan To Be Remanded In Prison Till February 9? / Police To Declare Farouk Lawan Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by eespunge(m): 6:42am On Jun 12, 2012
$3m bribe scandal: Farouk Lawan owns up

Rep: Otedola made $620,000 part-payment, but I briefed IGP, House
...My story, by Zenon Oil boss

BY
AKUNNA and IHEANACHO NWOSU, Abuja
Tue, 06/12/2012

The controversy over $620,000 fuel subsidy bribe allegation deepened yesterday with the Chairman of the House of Representatives’ ad hoc committee that probed the fuel subsidy regime, Hon. Farouk Lawan, accusing Chairman of Zenon Oil and Gas, Mr. Femi Otedola, of offering a $3 million bribe to spare his company in its report.

He said Otedola made a $500,000 down payment with a promise to pay up the remaining $2.5 million if the committee spared Zenon, but that the matter had been reported to the police. He dismissed Otedola’s claims that he and his committee’s secretary, Mr. Boniface Emenalo, collected $620,000 bribe from him unaware it was a sting operation as “diversionary,” saying Otedola actually offered Emenalo $100,000 to shield Zenon during the probe.

Lawan said the probe had subjected his life to a chain of threats, but that he remained unshaken. The lawmaker said shortly after Otedola approached him with the money, he duly informed Chairman of the House Committee on Financial Crimes.

In a letter dated April 24, 2012, Lawan wrote: “Attached (to the letter) is the sum of five hundred thousand dollars only, offered to me with another promise of two million, five hundred thousand dollars.”

The lawmaker said that his decision not to raise the matter on the floor of the House was deliberate, as he did not want anything that would overshadow the fuel subsidy probe.

“I had considered bringing this issue as a matter of privilege on the floor of the House later today (April 24), but I am concerned that the controversy it will generate will dwarf the contents of the report, which needs public attention so that necessary reforms in the sector could be effected,” the letter read.

“Given the desperation of Mr. Otedola, handling this matter, in a firm but diplomatic manner, is necessary as he had also made some veiled threats which put me and members of the committee in a delicate situation.”

To underscore Otedola’s desperation, said Lawan, Emenalo, had in a letter dated April 24, 2012, raised the alarm that Otedola offered him $100,000. “I wish to inform you that I was on his invitation, at the residence of their Chairman, Mr. Femi Otedola, in Maitama (Aso Drive ) this morning and he offered me the sum of one hundred thousand US dollars in two bundles of $50,000 each. The money is hereby forwarded as evidence,” Emenalo’s letter read.

The Acting Inspector-General of Police(IGP), Mr. Mohammed Abubakar, said Lawan had on May 9, 2012, directed a task force to interact with him. The Acting IGP in the letter marked CR:3000/IGP.SEC/STF/FHQ/ABJ/VOL 2/309, drew Lawan’s attention to an interview he granted a national newspaper on April 28,2012, directing “a discreet investigation into the matter.”

The Commissioner of Police, Special Task Force, Ali Amodu, signed the letter. In another letter dated May 16, 2012 also marked CR: 3000/IGP.SEC/STF/FHQ/ABJ/VOL 2/319, and signed by Amodu, the IGP requested money exhibit, names of witnesses and other material evidence from the lawmaker

In a response dated May 31, 2012, Lawan told the IGP that the House leadership had referred the matter to the relevant committee for investigation. The IGP, in a letter to the Speaker, Hon. Aminu Tambuwal, dated June 4, 2012, said investigation had been launched into the matter.

Titled: “Investigation activities: Letter of invitation in a case of criminal conspiracy and attempt to pervert the course of justice by offering gratification,” the office of the IGP stated that “the Inspector-General of Police had directed a detailed criminal investigation into the matter.” But in an interview granted ThisDay yesterday, Otedola stated his own version.

The Zenon boss narrated how at the beginning of the probe, Hon. Lawan had approached him to get some insight into how the downstream oil and gas sector works. This, he obliged Lawan by ensuring that his managing directors of Forte Oil Plc and Zenon Oil appeared at the subsidy probe during its public hearing after the two firms were invited by the committee.

Mr. otedola said that the committee was informed that Zenon does not and never made claims for subsidy payments because the company deals solely in the importation of diesel, a product which he said, is not subsidized.

Zenenon Oil Managing Director, Mr. Kanmi Kareem Otaru, had denied that the company had anything to do with the subsidy regime. “For the avoidance of doubt, Zenon never participated or benefited from the subsidy scheme or Petroleum Support Fund (PSF)”.

Otaru said going by the PSF Act: “Zenon Oil couldn’t participate in it because we don’t have a network of PMS retail outlets which was one of the key criteria beneficiaries must meet and as such, we are not qualified to participate to draw from subsidy payments on PMS. So, we never collected as records will show”.

Otedola said that in spite of Otaru’s clarification made at the hearing, Lawan still approached him a few days before the report was to be tabled on April 18, 2012 before the House of Representatives demanding money so that Zenon’s name will be kept out of the report”.

“When this happened, I was very angry and reminded him that Zenon has never participated in the subsidy scheme and that it would be criminal to rope in the company for something it didn’t do. “But Lawan responded, stating that several other marketers were playing ball and had offered the members of the committee large sums of money to ensure that their companies’ names were not published in the report”, he said.

The Zenon boss said that he initially backed at Lawan’s alleged attempt to extort money from him and to the lawmakers that he would not pay up, as the company had not committed any crime. Otedola said that he could not believe it the next day when the report came out and Zenon’s name had been listed under the category of companies that had bought foreign exchange from the Central Bank, but had not imported petrol.

The amount ascribed to Zenon in the report was $232,975,385:13. Reacting to the development yesterday, some lawmakers spoken to were divided on the matter. While some expressed outrage at the allegation, saying it had further dented the image of the House, others dismissed it as a ploy to shield “friends of those in power.”

They, however, refused to speak on record, choosing to align with the official position expressed at the weekend by their spokesman, Hon. Zakari Mohammed. The House spokesman had said the leadership would investigate all the allegations levelled against some of its officers when they return from break.

Said one lawmaker; “You know we are on break and can do very little until we reconvene on the 19th. This is sad. We were just smarting from the damage (Hon. Herman) Hembe did to our reputation. Now this,” a member, who didn’t want his name in print, told Daily Sun.

When we sought why he didn’t want his name in print, he said: “The House leadership has taken a position on the matter. It would be wrong for me to say something that would be out of sync. Another member, who chairs a standing committee, said that the allegations were weighty, but cautioned that restraint be exercised on the matter.

A female lawmaker told Daily Sun that she was surprised that Lawan was fingered in the allegation, saying he was a man who had always striven to leave above board.

“What is happening is unfortunate. Farouk (Lawan) has chaired several standing and ad-hoc committees from information to appropriation, from inter-parliamentary to education. He had been in the system long enough to know that fire burns, reason I nurse my reservations on the allegations against him.

However, a principal officer disclosed that the House would not be able to take any stand until the 19th when it reconvenes. “As matters stand, we have to allow the relevant agencies conduct their investigations,” he offered.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/national/article/3m-bribe-scandal

2 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by MrGlobe(m): 6:53am On Jun 12, 2012
If is very welcomed that otedola the thief businessman has soiled his image in this debacle. He will foever regret this dis decision to blackmail Farouk. The GEJ team used him as a lab rat to drag Farouks name into the mud but when otedola the thief realizes how deep he himself have fallen into the mud he will know what he has done to himself.
On fuel subsidy probe scam I stand

2 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 12, 2012
He should resign his positon immediately ! angry

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by nwabobo: 7:07am On Jun 12, 2012
From I didn't collect any money to I informed IG. Lol! This is getting more interesting.

11 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by MrGlobe(m): 7:10am On Jun 12, 2012
Also Farouk has released the police memo he sent to the police. That thief called otedola should be ashamed of himself. He needs to be stoned to death for trying to stand against justice
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by mspookie: 10:05am On Jun 12, 2012
i hope farouk Lawan's side of the story is TRUE! But, if Otedola's side of the story is true; why does he have to pay bribes when he wasnt involved in d importation of fuel, y wont he just stand his ground?? undecided i believe strongly farouk is smart enough not to involve himself in such.

3 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by daywatcher: 10:06am On Jun 12, 2012
By the Grace of God they will start exposing themselves one by one. Awon ole buruku

3 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by scopusng(m): 10:08am On Jun 12, 2012
Oh, Zenon never participated or benefited from the subsidy scheme or Petroleum Support Fund (PSF) yet you offered Farouk a bribe.

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by eyennyin: 10:10am On Jun 12, 2012
This talk talk back and forth I don't want to hear. All I want to know is, Was otedola's company in the first list and was it still in the second list? Na there the koko de. De truth d hide for there.

7 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by emmanjnr(m): 10:13am On Jun 12, 2012
Otedola or whatever his name are, should be apprehended; cos,we Nigerians need some good breed..
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 12, 2012
Mr. Globe:
If is very welcomed that otedola the thief businessman has soiled his image in this debacle. He will foever regret this dis decision to blackmail Farouk. The GEJ team used him as a lab rat to drag Farouks name into the mud but when otedola the thief realizes how deep he himself have fallen into the mud he will know what he has done to himself.
On fuel subsidy probe scam I stand
. Otedola is no saint but he was smarter than farouk on this matter. Farouk is already changing his Language from outright denial to I did it to Expose him. It's very funny cos all Farouk has shown by his documentary evidences can all be cooked up and backdated to claim all he said. It's just ridiculous.

3 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by talktrue1(m): 10:15am On Jun 12, 2012
In a letter dated April 24, 2012, Lawan wrote: “Attached (to the letter) is the sum of five hundred thousand dollars only, offered to me with another promise of two million, five hundred thousand dollars.”

Where is the $500,000.
Is it with Farouk or it was forwarded to Police?

6 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Yungchamp(m): 10:15am On Jun 12, 2012
All of dem b thieves,,frm GEJ to the councellor in ur ward ,it is in their Blood,,

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Funkymallam(m): 10:15am On Jun 12, 2012
Cross me, i double cross u...
Its getting interesting.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by chuks49(m): 10:15am On Jun 12, 2012
Criminals everywhere, sick country
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by dplordx(m): 10:16am On Jun 12, 2012
So, whats GEJ doing...is he just watching this drama, or will he let these two guys bribe the EFCC and walk scot-free?
Abeg Jonah. Do something....
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by jackolisa: 10:17am On Jun 12, 2012
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by JAkpayen(m): 10:17am On Jun 12, 2012
ms pookie: i hope farouk Lawan's side of the story is TRUE! But, if Otedola's side of the story is true; why does he have to pay bribes when he wasnt involved in d importation of fuel, y wont he just stand his ground?? undecided i believe strongly farouk is smart enough not to involve himself in such.

Let them use a 'lie detector' to know u be the thief. hahahahaha! this is a case of the hunter being hunted.

2 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by djon78(m): 10:17am On Jun 12, 2012
@mr globe hve a biased mind in this case. lawan said b4 he did nt collect any money, then later that his image was doctored to now claim that he collected but to nail otedola.

i do not hold brief for any of these men cos they are all imersed in deep cesspool of murky corruption. so dont come here supporting lawan, he has been in that hse 4 tenure now and u are claiming he is a saint. no they are all corrupt simple.

to clean up the oil industry in nigeria a thorough searchlight has to be beamed on every nook and crany, and if done u will see that the worst culprits are from the northern born to rule guys. they are the ones controling more than 85% of the industry and major corruption there.

because naija presidency has been like a cult shielding the oil deals from ordinary citizens, GEJ from niger delta on taking the seat was shocked at what this born to rule guys have messed up with the so much, that is why now there is a serious bunkering going on now in niger delta and the kind of money this guys are amassing is so much that by 2015 except a niger delta guy rules again they can single handedly stop totally oil production in Nigeria, and then let me see what all those greedy parasites will do.
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Sealeddeal(m): 10:18am On Jun 12, 2012
Remember that this company,zenon,was initially listed among the company that looted subsidy fund,how come it got exonerated immediately? He,Farouk,said dat he collected no dough initially but now admit dat he collected it to expose Otedola.Equally,i wonder wat company dat doesnt import a subsidized product got to do with subsidy looting.So why did Farouk invite him at all? i dnt just knw hw to attack Otedola.if this allegation against any of them become thru,the person found guilty should be punished.

3 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Reference(m): 10:18am On Jun 12, 2012
~Bluetooth:

He should resign his positon immediately ! angry

Who. The hunter or the bush meat or since we don't know who is chasing who let us declare a draw.

2 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by blueheart(m): 10:18am On Jun 12, 2012
We are never short of drama in d country. Now getting murky. So, will d IG cover Lawan's a.s.s or d whoever is on Otedola's version of events, verify his position? I dey laff. Hope dey dont sweep dis under d carpet. Obviously, they av powerful allies too. And to think Otedola is just one out of d many alleged to av benefited frm dis subsidy. Wonder what d others will say to defend themselves. Smh
Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 12, 2012

8 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Werehkpe: 10:20am On Jun 12, 2012
Ormor

I de siddon watch this drama o. E PASS DRAMA FOR PRISON BREAK O!

B right back. Make i go buy puff puff and ororbor pepsi make i enjoy this NEW SERIES

8 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Guapo(m): 10:20am On Jun 12, 2012
eyen nyin: This talk talk back and forth I don't want to hear. All I want to know is, Was otedola's company in the first list and was it still in the second list? Na there the koko de. De truth d hide for there.
Gbamm!
U are following the story. The whole story is not complex to me at all.

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by nomshu(m): 10:21am On Jun 12, 2012
They should use one of this guys as an example to others na. It like say all of dem study crimonogy sef! God pls come and save us, Boko boz, tiv, and criminal all round

1 Like

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 12, 2012
LAWAN:
1. I didnt collect bribe, the caricature of me in the video is not me.
2. I collected the bribe, and told IGP

Silly id!ot, After you are exposed, there are so many stories, the fucccker is trying to be safe

9 Likes

Re: Farouk Lawan: Femi Otedola's $500K Bribe Was To Expose Him by ebamma(m): 10:23am On Jun 12, 2012
why are u telling us

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Margaret Peter Obi Campaigns For Her Husband In Aba. She's From Akwa Ibom / Obaseki Unveils Shelter For Libya Returnees / Ben Bruce Blast Lai Mohammed:Lai Denies Saying Economy Is Out Of PMB Control(pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.