Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,224 members, 7,807,748 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! (7417 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / Buhari Set Implement Dress Code For Journalists Covering Villa- NigerianTimes.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by wales(m): 6:31am On Jun 13, 2012
National Leader, Action Congress of Nigeria, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has urged the Federal Government to implement the Senate’s resolution on immortalising the acclaimed winner of June 12, 1993 election, Chief MKO Abiola.

He said the upper chamber had, at one of its plenary, resolved that the National Stadium, Abuja be renamed after Abiola.

Tinubu stated this in an interview with journalists shortly after the inauguration of Rehoboth House, Lagos Central Senatorial Constituency Office, Yaba, Lagos State.

He said since the Senate resolution, the Federal Government had not deemed it necessary to implement it.

He said the renaming of University of Lagos after the fallen politician by the Federal Government portrayed him (Abiola) as a sectional leader, which he was not when he was alive.

Tinubu said the mandate Abiola had was a national one not ethnic, stressing that giving him an honour from one section was not good.

The ACN leader said, “There is a pending Senate resolution asking that the National Stadium, Abuja, be named After Chief MKO Abiola.

“Why did the Federal Government ignore that resolution? Abiola was not a sectional leader – he did not have a sectional mandate – he had a national mandate.”

He said the whole exercise was an attempt to bring division in Lagos State.

Link: http://www.punchng.com/news/implement-senates-resolution-immortalising-abiola-tinubu/

3 Likes

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 9:35am On Jun 13, 2012
I don't think people like Tinubu have any say in what should be used to honour Abiola. They should shut up and focus on what's their business.

3 Likes

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Pukkah: 9:36am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva: I don't think people like Tinubu have any say in what should be used to honour Abiola. They should shut up and focus on what's their business.

Why doesn't he have a say? Who are the people who have a say?

3 Likes

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by fuke(m): 9:43am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva: I don't think people like Tinubu have any say in what should be used to honour Abiola. They should shut up and focus on what's their business.

Pukkah:

Exactly. Politics and leading the Yorubas is his business and
he is giving it a damn good shot.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by utimayor(m): 9:44am On Jun 13, 2012
L.

1 Like

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 9:45am On Jun 13, 2012
Every Nigerian should have a say. That's what democracy is about (everybody has a say, majority has their way).
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 13, 2012
Thats jst it, Mr Gej open ur ear make u listen 2 wetin dm dy tel u, M.K.O is nt a sectional leader, do d rite tin 4 d first time in ur maverick tenure...

1 Like

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by malc619(m): 9:47am On Jun 13, 2012

In the gutter where you live have you ever heard of "FREEDOM OF SPEECH"??
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 9:47am On Jun 13, 2012
Pukkah:

The FG decides what will be named after Abiola. It's funny how people who have been drumming Abiola into our heads were the ones against the renaming of UNILAG for the stupid reason that the renaming should be done on a structure located in Abuja and not n lagos.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by rasputinn(m): 9:50am On Jun 13, 2012
Has he not been immortalised already,what did he even do for Nigeria(let no semi-ignorant student of history come spewing bunkum about June 12)that requires he be immortalised more than he has already been.
Maybe a resolution should be passed in the upper and lower arms of NASS and sent to President Jonathan to rename Nigeria MKO ABIOLALAND.

The irony of the whole thing is that most of the people making a public show of these senseless calls actually loathe the man in their hearts
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by finezlord: 9:51am On Jun 13, 2012
i don't know why all the yoruba leaders are all section leaders both old and present and they still ask for national recognition. just saying this because if they don't turn a new leave it will hurt them at the long even if they are not yet already feeling heat.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 9:53am On Jun 13, 2012
Everybody has a say in a democracy. However, you would need to petition your representatives in government (members of national assembly, state assembly, ministers, etc) if you want to have your way.

Remember, it's government of the people, by the people and for the people. It's not a dictatorship. (The people are the government).
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by puffpuff: 9:58am On Jun 13, 2012
I never knew that any structure outside Abuja is not national. Tinubu, I thank you for this enlightment. Hope Fasola is d one paying those defunct Unilag staff?
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by jude33084(m): 10:01am On Jun 13, 2012

It is either you where still very little during 93' saga or you don't have anything meaningful to say angry
Abiola had a National mandate not a regional one like what GEJ is portraying him. sad
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 10:05am On Jun 13, 2012
jude33084:

It is either you where still very little during 93' saga or you don't have anything meaningful to say angry
Abiola had a National mandate not a regional one like what GEJ is portraying him. sad
Nnamdi Azikiwe also had a national mandate and he was probably the most nationalistic leader in Nigeria's history but the Nnamdi Azikiwe University and Stadium in Awka and Enugu respectively were named after him. MKO is not the founder of Nigeria neither did he rule Nigeria at anytime. He was just a victim of circumstance and that does not in any way make him a hero. We should be honouring people like Herbert Macaulay who in my view is the most under-honoured leader in Nigeria's history.

1 Like

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by werepeLeri: 10:05am On Jun 13, 2012
So that they can have what to attack GEJ with one more time? So University of Lagos is now a regional university?
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by malc619(m): 10:06am On Jun 13, 2012
finezlord: i don't know why [b]all the yoruba leaders are all section leaders both old and present [/b]and they still ask for national recognition. just saying this because if they don't turn a new leave it will hurt them at the long even if they are not yet already feeling heat.

Ur ignorance is Phenomenal shocked shocked shocked shocked
Was MKO a sectional leader
Was his mandate sectional
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Pukkah: 10:06am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva:
The FG decides what will be named after Abiola. It's funny how people who have been drumming Abiola into our heads were the ones against the renaming of UNILAG for the stupid reason that the renaming should be done on a structure located in Abuja and not n lagos.

Prove that Tinubu was against the renaming of Unilag. Also prove that he did not contribute to the June 12 struggle. Regardless of personal sentiments, and your own right of speech, let's be fair to all.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Pukkah: 10:08am On Jun 13, 2012
finezlord: i don't know why all the yoruba leaders are all section leaders both old and present and they still ask for national recognition. just saying this because if they don't turn a new leave it will hurt them at the long even if they are not yet already feeling heat.

Was MKO a sectional leader? Do you know about June 12 at all?
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by werepeLeri: 10:08am On Jun 13, 2012
Tinubu- if you love MKO so much, then stop romancing with the man Buhari who closed down MKO Abiola's concord Newspapers in his clap down on journalists. Dont be an hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 10:09am On Jun 13, 2012
Pukkah:

Prove that Tinubu was against the renaming of Unilag. Also prove that he did not contribute to the June 12 struggle. Regardless of personal sentiments, and your own right of speech, let's be fair to all.
Here you have it http://www.liveinnaija.com/2012/06/bola-tinubu-fayemi-others-reject-renaming-of-unilag-to-moshood-abiola-university.html

Where did i say Tinubu did no contribute to the June 12 struggle?
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by jude33084(m): 10:09am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva:

If you had took your time to read the article very well you would have noticed a place where he(tinubu) said that the upper house of the Senate had earleir passed a resolution that the National Stadium Abj should be named after Abiola smiley
So, is the Senate house not FG now?
undecided
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 10:11am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva:
Nnamdi Azikiwe also had a national mandate and he was probably the most nationalistic leader in Nigeria's history but the Nnamdi Azikiwe University and Stadium in Awka and Enugu respectively were named after him. MKO is not the founder of Nigeria neither did he rule Nigeria at anytime. He was just a victim of circumstance and that does not in any way make him a hero. We should be honouring people like Herbert Macaulay who in my view is the most under-honoured leader in Nigeria's history.

While I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Tinubu, you should remember that Nnamdi Azikiwe Street was the major road in Lagos up until the late 70s. Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport is also the gateway to Abuja.

(By the way, I share your view that Macaulay should receive greater recognition, though you should remember that he was also a divisive figure in his time).
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 10:12am On Jun 13, 2012
jude33084:

If you had took your time to read the article very well you would have noticed a place where he(tinubu) said that the upper house of the Senate had earleir passed a resolution that the National Stadium Abj should be named after Abiola smiley
So, is the Senate house not FG now?
undecided
What i'm saying is that in as much as i'm not a fan of GEJ, people like Tinubu should not be using MKO to play politics. GEJ was probably trying to appease some people by renaming UNILAG after Abiola but the same people rejected it. I think that's the height of hypocrisy.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 10:14am On Jun 13, 2012
naptu2:

While I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Tinubu, you should remember that Nnamdi Azikiwe Street was the major road in Lagos up until the late 70s. Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport is also the gateway to Abuja.

(By the way, I share your view that Macaulay should receive greater recognition, though you should remember that he was also a divisive figure in his time).
Even Awolowo that was a sectional leader has a street in Abuja, so Zik having a street named after a capital of Nigeria at that time is no biggie. Also remember that he was a Lagos politican at some point.

How was Herbert Macaulay a divisive figure?
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Pukkah: 10:15am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva:
Here you have it http://www.liveinnaija.com/2012/06/bola-tinubu-fayemi-others-reject-renaming-of-unilag-to-moshood-abiola-university.html

Where did i say Tinubu did no contribute to the June 12 struggle?

The following is what is in your link:

In a statement, Tinubu contended that though the President’s decision to rename the university after Abiola was welcome, it fell short of what was required.
He said, “We must congratulate the President for attempting to do it, but we say-do it right. MKO was elected by the entire country not just by the Yoruba – he was arrested and taken to Abuja. He was tried, incarcerated and eventually died in very controversial circumstances in Abuja under the custody of federal agents. Abiola’s mandate was a national mandate which he tried to reclaim. But we must be careful not to localise or sectionalise MKO.”

http://www.liveinnaija.com/2012/06/bola-tinubu-fayemi-others-reject-renaming-of-unilag-to-moshood-abiola-university.html

Please point to where Tinubu was against the renaming of Unilag. You guys should fear God and be FAIR!

And if you're saying that you did not say that Tinubu did not contribute to June 12 struggle, kindly explain what you meant here:

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by redsun(m): 10:17am On Jun 13, 2012
Abiola was a thief like tinubu(ITT) But b/cos naija is and has always been a rogue state,men like that are recognized as honorable,while tjge honorable people are relegated to the background because they are not ruthless.

Sing abiola patriotism to the dogs,not to rational nigerians that knows who the traitors and enemies of nigerian sucklings are.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Afam4eva(m): 10:17am On Jun 13, 2012
Pukkah:

The following is what is in your link:

In a statement, Tinubu contended that though the President’s decision to rename the university after Abiola was welcome, it fell short of what was required.
He said, “We must congratulate the President for attempting to do it, but we say-do it right. MKO was elected by the entire country not just by the Yoruba – he was arrested and taken to Abuja. He was tried, incarcerated and eventually died in very controversial circumstances in Abuja under the custody of federal agents. Abiola’s mandate was a national mandate which he tried to reclaim. But we must be careful not to localise or sectionalise MKO.”

http://www.liveinnaija.com/2012/06/bola-tinubu-fayemi-others-reject-renaming-of-unilag-to-moshood-abiola-university.html

Please point to where Tinubu was against the renaming of Unilag. You guys should fear God and be FAIR!

And if you're saying that you did not say that Tinubu did not contribute to June 12 struggle, kindly explain what you meant here:

I also wrote this:

afam4eva:
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by Pukkah: 10:18am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva:
What i'm saying is that in as much as i'm not a fan of GEJ, people like Tinubu should not be using MKO to play politics. GEJ was probably trying to appease some people by renaming UNILAG after Abiola but the same people rejected it. I think that's the height of hypocrisy.

And why shouldn't Tinubu use MKO's name to play politics? Is GEJ not also using it to play politics? Why are you fixated on Tinubu? Be fair to all. All politicians are free to use the name to play politics. Period.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by jmoore(m): 10:19am On Jun 13, 2012
Moshood Abiola Polytechnic
Moshood Abiola University

and now Moshood Abiola Stadium?

These actions by politicians like Tinubu and co are very foolish.

Is the "defunct UNILAG" not a federal institution?

1 Like

Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by jude33084(m): 10:19am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva:

Thank my bro but my question is why did Jonathan ignored what the upper house of senate proposed? Are they not the Law makers? I am nt a Yoruba man bt to me June 12th is like yesterday and it is in History that June 12th election was won fairly and freely by Abiola and died for the course so he should be given the status of a Hero. Nmandi is a National hero whom we all know.
Re: Implement Senate’s Resolution Immortalising Abiola – Tinubu ! by naptu2: 10:20am On Jun 13, 2012
afam4eva:
Even Awolowo that was a sectional leader has a street in Abuja, so Zik having a street named after a capital of Nigeria at that time is no biggie. Also remember that he was a Lagos politican at some point.

How was Herbert Macaulay a divisive figure?

1) That's what I'm saying, it's also no biggie if Abiola has a structure in Abuja (eg, National Stadium Abuja, which was MKO's idea [research into the Presidential Committee on Abuja stadium, which was inaugurated circa 1991]) named after him.

2) Find out about Dr Henry Carr, Sir Adeyemo Alakija, Sir Kitoye Ajasa and many other's opinion of Macaulay.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 / FG Completes The First Black Box Flight Safety Laboratory In Africa- AIB Boss / Meet Udom Gabriel Emmanuel - Profile of Akwa Ibom State Governor Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.