Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,466 members, 7,781,350 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:58 PM

I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan (1492 Views)

Killing Of 5 Fulani’s In Abia: Abuja DSS Lied Says Abia State Government / Amaechi Is Like Biblical Esther, He Has Shamed His Enemies – APC / Farouk Lawan To Be Remanded In Prison Till February 9? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by executinal(m): 1:24pm On Jun 13, 2012
Chairman of the House of Representatives Probe Panel on Fuel Subsidy Mismanagement, Farouk Lawan, has admitted that he collected $600,000 (about N96 million) from billionaire businessman, Femi Otedola. Farouk Lawan Lawan owned up to it barely 24 hours after he denied collecting the bribe, saying he collected it as an evidence that he was bribed by Otedola. Lawan had initially said in a statement he issued immediately the scandal was blown open:

“ I wish to categorically deny that I or any member of the committee demanded and received any bribe from anybody in connection with the fuel subsidy probe and I believe this is evident from the thorough and indepth manner the investigation was carried out and the all encompassing recommendations produced therefrom and approved by the whole House. He went further to claim that his image in the bribe taking video recording was doctored.”

In what could be a volte face, Lawan told reporters yesterday in Abuja that he actually collected $500,000 from Otedola, adding that it was the Zenon Oil & Gas boss that initiated the bribe.
Lawan, however, said he kept the police informed about it and forwarded series of letters about it to the Inspector General of Police. He said he also informed the relevant House Committee about the development. All this may not hold any water any longer, considering reports that it took Lawan six weeks before he informed some principal officers of the House that an oil marketer attempted to bribe him. And as the scandal gets messier by the day, more knocks have come the way of Lawan. Speaking with P.M.NEWS this morning, constitutional lawyer, Prof. Itse Sagay said the whole idea was to cast doubt on the fuel subsidy report as the key actor in the probe has had his hand soiled.

“This is a major tragedy. Farouk Lawan represents one of the most positive faces in the Nigeria legislature. It is a tragedy for us as a country because anybody fighting corruption will be scared.

“Everybody should ensure the report (subsidy probe) is upheld. The EFCC should prosecute all involved. We can lose Lawan but not the report. The report must be implemented,” Sagay said.
Former Governor of Kaduna State, Alhaji Balarabe Musa said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, should move in immediately and arrest Lawan and others indicted in the bribe scandal and prosecute them..

“I don’t know what the EFCC is waiting for
. Now, they have no reason to wait anymore. They should act on Lawan and the subsidy report immediately,” he stated.

National Publicity Secretary, Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, Alhaji Lai Muhammed told P.M .EWS that it had been established beyond doubt that Lawan acted on his own in collecting the bribe and that this should not in any way affect the outcome of the fuel subsidy report. Muhammed stated that the presidency might have set up the whole move in a bid to cast aspersion on the credibility of the fuel subsidy report, adding that it had been ascertained that Lawan took the money after the report had been concluded.

“Lawan should be docked. Investigations should be carried out to know the motive behind all these and the integrity of the report should not be affected at all,” he said.

Activist and lawyer, Bamidele Aturu wants a thorough investigation on Lawan and Otedola, saying that the fuel subsidy report must stay and be implemented. He added that the ongoing scenario was a ploy by some people to ensure that the report of the fuel subsidy was not implemented.

Former Convener, United Action for Democracy, UAD, Comrade Abiodun Aremu said anybody found wanting should be punished severely, adding that Lawan’s bribe allegation had nothing to do with the integrity of the fuel subsidy report.

A lawyer, Chris Akiri faulted claims by Lawan that he took bribe to expose Otedola, saying that “you don’t take bribe to expose anybody. He has committed a criminal offence. The only way you can take something to expose an individual is through what we call agent provocateur, that is, you have to do it with the knowledge of the security agents. cool cool

He collected N96 million for himself. He stole the money and must be prosecuted. The fuel subsidy report is now questionable. If he did that to remove some name, the report cannot stay. There is a heavy question hanging over the report and it cannot stay.”

Lagos lawyer, Festus Keyamo said Lawan has disgraced himself and his family, saying that “he said his picture was doctored but now admitting to the evidence. This is exposing himself to ridicule. grin

“The fuel subsidy report must be subjected to forensic analysis, that is, it must be investigated. Lawan must be prosecuted.”

Founder, Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders, CACOL, Debo Adeniran said the corruption scandal should not in any way affect the fuel subsidy report, saying “it is a product of fact finding effort.

“More investigation should be carried and Lawan should face the anti-graft agency. Both Lawan and Otedola are guilty. If Otedola had reported to the security agencies that he wanted to give bribe to catch somebody, then, he should be exonerated. The same goes for Farouk. Another panel should be set up to carry out more investigation on this,” he said.

Spokesperson, Save Nigeria Group, Yinka Odumakin said the fuel subsidy report had nothing to do with the money allegedly collected by Lawan. He stated that both Lawan and Otedola should be docked, adding that “there is no excuse for both parties. This has nothing to do with the fuel subsidy report. The two issues should be separated and both men should be prosecuted.”

sources http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/06/12/i-lied-says-shamed-farouk-lawan/

Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by executinal(m): 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2012
Just take a close look at this Midget with his innocent face. Jail this bulshiit to teach others lesson. Who know hos much he has made from other probe he chaired
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by Super1759: 2:54pm On Jun 13, 2012
The best thing is own up.mr fl.
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 13, 2012
I hardly trust people who wear those tradi-political cloths.
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by nikkyshyne(f): 6:40pm On Jun 13, 2012
So this is the world famous farouk I hear of late? See his shanko stature smiley
Na wa oo,,strange things are really happening under ground. Shooo,,so dis is how people in politics share money within themselves.

They both deserve death by hanging!!
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by saintneo(m): 6:51pm On Jun 13, 2012
beaf is still winning.
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by chosen04(f): 6:51pm On Jun 13, 2012
Mr Integrity . . . . . . . . its a shame.
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by Kobojunkie: 7:01pm On Jun 13, 2012
All this matters little. Why has he not been arrested yet? If there is all this evidence, why is the man still walking free? undecided undecided undecided
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by naijaking1: 7:02pm On Jun 13, 2012
Where is Demdem, eGuerilla, etc and a host of other rabid anti-GEJ crowd, it's good morning in Abuja!
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by queensmith: 7:13pm On Jun 13, 2012
look at him now trying to claim he was tricking the guy! ole! see im mout!

who is femi odetola? Shouldnt he be arrested too? how did everyone find out? This is gonna be interesting! lol
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by 2mch(m): 7:40pm On Jun 13, 2012
Farouk made a mistake threatening Otedola and collecting bribe. It is just like threatening Dangote. These two families are too close to the presidency. You might as well be threatening the president. They handle the funny business for these people. I wont be surprised if this was a setup and the dumbo fell for it. These guys truly do not have to go through these foo*ls to get what they want done. Someone wanted Lawan OUT! Sadly he is corrupt and fell for it. Game over for Lawan. grin cheesy
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by onatisi(m): 10:03pm On Jun 13, 2012
THIS IS THE MOST RIDICULOUS AND STUPID DFENCE ANYONE HAS EVER PUT UP , I THINK LAWAN SOULD BE SHOT NOT FOR TAKING A BRIBE THAT IS NORMAL BUT FOR BRINGING UP A STUPID EXCUSE AS THI , YOU OLLECTED A BRIBE TO EXPOSE SOMEONE BUT NEVER RETURNED the money , why did he have to come out with this story after otedola had made his own know
he is a plain theif but most of all THE DUMBEST LIAR I HAVE EVER SEEN
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by onatisi(m): 10:05pm On Jun 13, 2012
the question we need to ask ourselves is this WHAT IF OTEDOLA HASN'T GONE TO THE POLICE WILL LAWAN HAVE SAID ALL E IS SAYING NOW
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by onatisi(m): 10:07pm On Jun 13, 2012
all lawan defense is actually baseless and void once he collected that money , another question is this why did he collect the money alone why dint he have a witness with him ?
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 14, 2012
There seem to be more than meets the eye!

Is farouk lawan just greedy or plain stupid?
How come he decided to go after Otedola of all people?

Majority of nigerians knows how close Otedola is to the top echelon of naija govt and GEJ so why go after such a man. A man amongst few who were made billionaires by the PDP govt courtesy of OBJ.

Have we all along been deceived by the "INTEGRITY" status of Lawan? Or is it a ploy to discredit fuel subsidy report and why is the presidency, EFCC not taking any serious action on the report and the present crisis?

Can we deny OBJs hand writing on any of this right from the day he accused our lawmakers of being rogues and armed robbers?

These are part of the question that need clarifications but the baby MUST not be thrown away with the bath water.
THE SUBSIDY REPORT MUST BE IMPLEMENTED!
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by ishmael(m): 6:45pm On Jun 14, 2012
Let nigerians becareful with what they say about Farouk Lawal or do to him. BH boys are watching o. Or have we suddenly 4gotten that he is a brother to the Boko's? Will they allow their broda to be disgraced? Let's watch out for the next episode.
Re: I Lied, Says Shamed Farouk Lawan by ifyalways(f): 9:00pm On Jun 14, 2012
A huge shame,I was one of his praise singers during the probe days. He looked, acted and talked so innocent.

(1) (Reply)

Real Reason For The 5000 Naira Note!!! / Reunebn Abati Is At His Usual Mischief Again! / Linda Ikeji Lunches 2014 Evougue.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.