Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,055 members, 7,807,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Learn From My Mistake: Car Buying Tip - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Learn From My Mistake: Car Buying Tip (1552 Views)

Learn how / Car Buying Tips, Advise, Guidelines. / 2009 Toyota Matrix ( Learn From the Best, Live in Nigeria ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn From My Mistake: Car Buying Tip by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 13, 2012
Good day all
Just want to share a bit of bad experience i had in the past 2months. althought it ended today. it set my pocket back by 290k. PS: I ADVICE YOU PRE-ORDER FROM THE US. 80% of cars coming into nigeria are accident cars.

for me my problem started when i helped advice a friend get a car from nairaland. as we wr not present in lagos we asked for the car to be inspected. it was a low budget car 1m and when payment was to be made the car had already been sold. we then depended on the judgement of the dealer to get a beter deal as i was assured something better will be gotten for a 97/98/99 camry. upon arrival of the car in abuja after pictures had previously been sent. it came with
1. bad paint job. even stains of the spary showed on the head light
2.the a./c vents waz broken
3.the back bumper was not well in place
4.the arm rest was bad and the interior was well below average
5.the shafts were gone
6. my shocker was that the floor mat was replaced with a household carpet.! you could actually see the loose ends at the door edges sticking out.
i personally know he didnt get the car for up to a million and xtra was paid for delivery
and after all this the mechanic who inspected the car was not impressed at the condition of the car. if we had physically inspected that car.theres no way in the world i would have gotten that car.
to cut it short the dealer agreed to get a buyer and all who came priced the car for 850k and till date non of them showed up. after 2months i had to make up the loss my friend made cos i served as his spokes person and the trust i made him have on the dealer. the car was sold for 760k today without the help or assistance of the dealer. my advice is if you cant pre order a car. please dont trust anyones judgement on what you dont pysically see.
Re: Learn From My Mistake: Car Buying Tip by uboma(m): 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2012
u will do better in sounding the warning if u tell us the name of the dealer on NL that got the car 4 ur friend so that we can all take heed and avoid transacting with him in the future. If he did this to u guys, he will still do same to unsuspecting victims in future. Once bitten, twice shy. Am sure u guys wudnt repeat such mistake again.

1 Like

Re: Learn From My Mistake: Car Buying Tip by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 13, 2012
i wouldnt want to call names, sorry about that. i assume he made poor judgements or so i am made to understand. like i earlier pointed out. its best you physically see a car. pictures may hide some hidden details unless the dealer is totaly open with you.

like i advice, pre order from the us or if u hv to get one in nigeria please physicaly see it.

example: i had gotten a good deal on an accord once but thanks to bizzbooks je was able to point out the leather on the drivers seat had worn out and other chips n dent on the car. his some one i personally trust as he has a good eye for cars.
i may not be able to name all but inspired femmy and alot of other dealers are doing good with there past sales speaking for them
Re: Learn From My Mistake: Car Buying Tip by Fixed: 7:32pm On Jun 13, 2012
"1. bad paint job. even stains of the spary showed on the head light
2.the a./c vents waz broken
3.the back bumper was not well in place
4.the arm rest was bad and the interior was well below average
5.the shafts were gone
6. my shocker was that the floor mat was replaced with a household carpet.! you could actually see the loose ends at the door edges sticking out.
i personally know he didnt get the car for up to a million and xtra was paid for delivery"

Poster, sorry about the loss on the vehicle. However, I want to say that he only rubbed it in on you by telling you he made a poor judgement. If truly you observed all the six issues you stated above with a pencil light model of camry sold for N1M, I will say it's either the guy is a 'dealer' that knows next to nothing or he decidedly cheated you. Unfortunately, it appears you were very soft on him as you heaped his misdeeds on the fact that you didn't do a physical check by yourself.

IF YOU WANT TO HELP OTHERS LIKE YOU TRULY CLAIMED, NAME THE DEALER AND SAVE A BROTHER FROM A SCAVENGER.

The other issue I wish to clarify is the fact that you don't have to preorder before you can get clean used cars to buy in Nigeria. After all the 20% you described as good tokunbo cars are still in Nigeria in their hundreds. I have bought clean cars for people here on nairaland, off nairaland, Cotonou and even at Berger that Nairaland Dealers often tongue-lash. My starting point is a clean VIN report anything outside is a no-no for me. Then every other checks can follow.

(1) (Reply)

2001 Toyota Camry(spread Lite) / 2003 Coja Bmw For Sale!!! / 2006 Nissan Murano For Sale - N900,000.00 (port-harcourt)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.