Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? (4875 Views)

Paul Vs. Jesus's Teachings: Is There A Conflict? For serious bible scholars / Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told / Is Religion A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nkonadi(m): 11:17pm On Jun 14, 2012
You will agree there are conflicts and occasional agreements in "truth" between science and religion. The following two quotations indicate the range of beliefs about the conflict and/or harmony between science and religion:

"There can never be a conflict between true science and true religion, because they both describe reality." - Anon.

"Science is almost totally incompatible with religion." - Peter Atkins

So we have true religion and true science. Which side do you belong?
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by thehomer: 12:19am On Jun 15, 2012
Nkonadi: You will agree there are conflicts and occasional agreements in "truth" between science and religion. The following two quotations indicate the range of beliefs about the conflict and/or harmony between science and religion:

"There can never be a conflict between true science and true religion, because they both describe reality." - Anon.

I guess it is a good thing that Anon. is quoted as saying that there is true religion because I would really like to know what this true religion that describes reality is. Who can speak for Anon.?
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by italo: 2:04pm On Jun 15, 2012
thehomer:
I guess it is a good thing that Anon. is quoted as saying that there is true religion because I would really like to know what this true religion that describes reality is. Who can speak for Anon.?

Catholicism.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by italo: 2:05pm On Jun 15, 2012
What about "true science?" You seem unconcerned about that.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 2:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
Religion is in conflict with science.

Science VS Religion

1) Human origin;
-Science; we evolved from other life forms. Theory of evolution
-Religion; God created man. Creationism

2) Disease;
-Science; germs cause diseases. To cure diseases, we need drugs or medicine or anitdotes. Germ theory
-Religion; God heals. God can heal through his prophets or when doctors cure patients, they do the work of God. Faith healing. Disease is a result of sin

3) Supernatural;
-Science; there exists no evidence for the supernatural. The best definition for supernatural is "that which we do not understand".
-Religion; God is supernatural. Supernatural exists
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 15, 2012
There is no conflict except for the manufactured ones christians concoct. Science is just a process of aquiring knowledge about how the world works. Religion on the other hand is people trying to find purpose in their lives to protect them from the seemingly nihilist nature of reality.

And since religion provides some people with comfort, when science comes across some fact of nature that contradicts their security blanket, they turn on science and present their religious claims as valid despite evidence to the contrary. They are quick to say things like "it's just a theory" when they don't agree with a particuar scientific paradigm but when they don't have a problem with it they ignore the fact that the thing they are agreeing with is also "just a theory".
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 2:25pm On Jun 15, 2012
Martian: There is no conflict except for the manufactured ones christians concoct. Science is just a process of aquiring knowledge about how the world works. Religion on the other hand is people trying to find purpose in their lives to protect them from the seemingly nihilist nature of reality.

And since religion provides some people with comfort, when science comes across some fact of nature that contradicts their security blanket, they turn on science and present their religious claims as valid despite evidence to the contrary. They are quick to say things like "it's just a theory" when they don't agree with a particuar scientific paradigm but when they don't have a problem with it they ignore the fact that the thing they are agreeing with is also "just a theory".

Wrong. The very nature of religion is unscientific. When you stat talking about the supernatural, you are going out of science into faith
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:
Wrong. The very nature of religion is unscientific. When you stat talking about the supernatural, you are going out of science into faith

Shut up already or go b#tch about slavery. I never said religion was scientific, I said they are not even in the same field.

I guess i should add that there are some atheists (logicBoy) who perpetuate the religion vs science pseudoconflict.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 2:33pm On Jun 15, 2012
Martian:

Shut up already or go b#tch about slavery. I never said religion was scientific, I said they are not even in the same field.

I guess i should add that there are some atheists (logicBoy) who perpetuate the religion vs science pseudoconflict.

There is a conflict between religion and science in the sense that they have opposing points. Evolution and creationism are opposites.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:
There is a conflict between religion and science in the sense that they have opposing points. Evolution and creationism are opposites.

There is no conflict!!! It's people like you and the fundamentalist christians who insist on this "conflict". If you ay that there is a conflict, that implies that creationism is a possible scientific theory, and we know it's not.

Evolution is a scientific theory like the other extant scientific theories while creationism is nothing but the judeo christian myth that some ould like to call science. Calling their irrationality science is an insult to the scientific process. Sorry if I sounded harsh earlier but you give these christians and their irrationalities too much credence. Call creationism what it truly is, BULLSHIT
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 2:48pm On Jun 15, 2012
Martian:

There is no conflict!!! It's people like you and the fundamentalist christians who insist on this "conflict". If you say that there is a conflict, that implies that creationism is a possible scientific theory, and we know it's not.

Evolution is a scientific theory like the other extant scientific theories while creationism is nothing but the judeo christian myth that some ould like to call science. Calling their irrationality science is an insult to the scientific process. Sorry if I sounded harsh earlier but you give these christians and their irrationalities too much credence. Call creationism what it truly is, BULLSHIT

Saying that two things conflict does not mean that those two things are from equal categories. Get your logic right. I have never said that creationism is science.

Creationism is a main part of the three major religions. As long as creationism remains central to those religions, then it stands that religion is in conflict with science.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by JeSoul(f): 2:56pm On Jun 15, 2012
Solid comments from Martian. I agree there is no conflict.

I will only like to add that the conflict is not only fueled by some christians but also atheists a la Dawkinian style (such as logicboy) who hijack sciencific theories and attempt to use them to comment on religious matters.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 3:05pm On Jun 15, 2012
JeSoul: Solid comments from Martian. I agree there is no conflict.

I will only like to add that the conflict is not only fueled by some christians but also atheists a la Dawkinian style (such as logicboy) who hijack sciencific theories and attempt to use them to comment on religious matters.

Wow. Just wow.

Answer a simple question; If religion is not in conflict in science why is it that schools had to go to court with before they could teach evolution as science and remove creationism from science and other factual classes?
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:
Saying that two things conflict does not mean that those two things are from equal categories. Get your logic right. I have never said that creationism is science.

Mr logic.lmao If creationism is not a science, then there is no conflict. The only people who consider it to be a conflict are the christians who made it up and people like you who bother to entertain their myth.

An example of a valid conflict is Hayek vs Keynes because both were economists witth opposing and valid viewpoints about economic organization. Compare that to the manufactured conflict of creationism vs evolution. They are two subjects from two different fields!!

logicboy:
Creationism is a main part of the three major religions. As long as creationism remains central to those religions, then it stands that religion is in conflict with science.

Religion only stands in conflict with science for those who feel religious claims should tally with scientific views. Those are christians and evangelical atheists(enigma must be pleased lmao).
Let them have creationism, but the fact is, creationism will never be taught in a reputable science class so therefore there is no conflict.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by JeSoul(f): 3:12pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:

Wow. Just wow.

Answer a simple question; If religion is not in conflict in science why is it that schools had to go to court with before they could teach evolution as science and remove creationism from science and other factual classes?
Martian is doing a good job so I'll just quote him:

Religion only stands in conflict with science for those who feel religious claims are should tally with scientific view. Those are christians and evangelical atheists

And I'll modify it to say "some christians" as I personally don't feel as a christian (and a scientist if I may be allowed to add) any need whatsoever to 'reconcile' science with religion. The two are seperate and distinct disciplines.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 15, 2012
JeSoul: And I'll modify it to say "some christians" as I personally don't feel as a christian (and a scientist if I may be allowed to add) any need whatsoever to 'reconcile' science with religion. The two are seperate and distinct disciplines.

Yes "some christians". This is important because i wouldn't want to be classified as "all atheists" with Mr Logic the slavery abolitionist.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 3:16pm On Jun 15, 2012
JeSoul: Martian is doing a good job so I'll just quote him:

And I'll modify it to say "some christians" as I personally don't feel as a christian (and a scientist if I may be allowed to add) any need whatsoever to 'reconcile' science with religion. The two are seperate and distinct disciplines.

Typical. I asked you a simple question and you dodge with a foolish quote from martian. "Evangelical atheists" LMAO
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:
Typical. I asked you a simple question and you dodge with a foolish quote from martian. "Evangelical atheists" LMAO

lol, this "foolish" quote of mine is more logical than anything you can ever come up with. My foolishness is better than your "logic".

Martian:
Religion only stands in conflict with science for those who feel religious claims should tally with scientific views. Those are "some" christians and evangelical atheists(enigma must be pleased lmao).
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 3:28pm On Jun 15, 2012
Martian:

lol, this "foolish" quote of mine is more logical than anything you can ever come up with. My foolishness is better than your "logic".

[b]Martian:
Religion only stands in conflict with science for those who feel religious claims should tally with scientific views. Those are "some" christians and evangelical atheists(enigma must be pleased lmao).[/b]

Debunking your quote and exposing its stupidity;

-Science is contradictory to religion whether people substitute science for religion or not
-Evolution is contradictory to creationism
-Creationism is central to the three major religions.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Jenwitemi(m): 3:32pm On Jun 15, 2012
The "conflict" between the two is bogus. The so-called conflict is artificially manufactured by insidious social engineers to keep idiots on both sides at each other's throat wasting all their entire lives arguing over non-issues like creationism vs evolution.
Nkonadi: You will agree there are conflicts and occasional agreements in "truth" between science and religion. The following two quotations indicate the range of beliefs about the conflict and/or harmony between science and religion:

Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:
Debunking your quote and exposing its stupidity;

Lol, may THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN bless your poor heart.You are like a free comedy show.

logicboy:
-Science is contradictory to religion whether people substitute science for religion or not
-Evolution is contradictory to creationism
-Creationism is central to the three major religions.

and this "logic" leads to where exactly?? Color me confused.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 3:37pm On Jun 15, 2012
Jenwitemi: The "conflict" between the two is bogus. The so-called conflict is artificially manufactured by insidious social engineers to keep idiots on both sides at each other's throat wasting all their entire lives arguing over non-issues like creationism vs evolution.

Non issues? Do you realise how much taxpayers' money has gone into litigation because of teaching evolution in schools? Or how many children are being taugth pseudoscience instead of proper facts?

Evolution and creationism are contradictory to one another. End of story.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 3:39pm On Jun 15, 2012
Martian:

Lol, may THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN bless your poor heart.You are like a free comedy show.

and this "logic" leads to where exactly?? Color me confused.

The logic leads to the conclusion that your quote is wrong. Your quote states that science and religion only contradict themselves when people force it to be so. Religion in it's essence is contradictory to science whether people substitute one for the other or not.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:
The logic leads to the conclusion that your quote is wrong. Your quote states that science and religion only contradict themselves when people force it to be so. Religion in it's essence is contradictory to science whether people substitute one for the other or not.

How am I wrong when it's obvious that you are forcing it to be so?? You brought up Evolution vs Creationism and used it as an example of the conflict but creationism is absent in scientific circles so the only one with the conflict is you and others who can't separate science from religion.
If you insist that there is a conflict, that means you're acknowledging that creationism and the god it implies are valid scientific concepts.

If you understand evolution and have knowledge of religious doctrines, you should be smart enough not to compare the two. You're also fixated on the three major religions while ignoring other religions that do not regard the judeo christian god as real. Do you think those people have a conflict between Evolution and creationism too or is the conflict exclusive to the people who believe in the jew god?? I'm not sure but I don't think buddhists consider creationism to be nothing but christian stories.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2012
Martian:

How am I wrong when it's obvious that you are forcing it to be so?? You brought up Evolution vs Creationism and used it as an example of the conflict but creationism is absent in scientific circles so the only one with the conflict is you and others who can't separate science from religion.
If you insist that there is a conflict, that means you're acknowledging that creationism and the god it implies are valid scientific concepts.

If you understand evolution and have knowledge of religious doctrines, you should be smart enough not to compare the two. You're also fixated on the three major religions while ignoring other religions that do not regard the judeo christian god as real. Do you think those people have a conflict between Evolution and creationism too or is the conflict exclusive to the people who believe in the jew god?? I'm not sure but I don't think buddhists consider creationism to be nothing but christian stories.

but creationism is absent in scientific circles

Does the fact that creationism is not in scientific circles make creationism and evolution any less contradictory to each other? Use your brain.

the only one with the conflict is you and others who can't separate science from religion.

Science and religion and separate. This separation does not mean that they are not also contradictory. Use your brain.

When people talk about religion, they mostly mean the 3 major religions. However, you re deviating. You are grasping at straws by moving the golaposts away from the 3 major religions. If you go that way, why not include the flying spaghetti monster and the pastsfarian religion? SMH
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:
but creationism is absent in scientific circles

Are you arguing with the voice in your head? I don;t recall anyone saying anything different. And if it's absent, where is the conflict?

logicboy:
Does the fact that creationism is not in scientific circles make creationism and evolution any less contradictory to each other? Use your brain.

No, I don't view creationism to be nothing but a fancy name for judeo chritian mythology about how the universe and organisms came to be. Evolution is about how living organisms share share a common ancestor and the micro and macro changes that have taken place over millions of years. So to me, there is no contradiction or conflict. One is myth, the other is acquired knoledge. If i want a conflict it will be "Evolution vs The Theogony".

logicboy:
the only one with the conflict is you and others who can't separate science from religion.

Science and religion and separate. This separation does not mean that they are not also contradictory. Use your brain.

Religion contradicts science but I don't take religious vie to be valid so there is no conflict.

logicboy:
When people talk about religion, they mostly mean the 3 major religions. However, you re deviating. You are grasping at straws by moving the golaposts away from the 3 major religions. If you go that way, why not include the flying spaghetti monster and the pastsfarian religion? SMH

You can include anything you want. Just because you are more familiar with the 3 major religions "in Nigeria" doen't mean those are the only ones to consider. Anyway, you forgot to tell me to use my brain.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 15, 2012
I wasn't clear above.
I feel religion contradicts reality and nature but I don't view those contadictions as conflicts with science because I undertsand them to be myths and I don't try to reconcile them with scientific knowledge.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 4:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
Martian:

Are you arguing with the voice in your head? I don;t recall anyone saying anything different. And if it's absent, where is the conflict?

You were the one that mentioned that creationism is absent in scientific circles. Are you that forgetful?

Martian:
No, I don't view creationism to be nothing but a fancy name for judeo chritian mythology about how the universe and organisms came to be. Evolution is about how living organisms share share a common ancestor and the micro and macro changes that have taken place over millions of years. So to me, there is no contradiction or conflict. One is myth, the other is acquired knoledge. If i want a conflict it will be "Evolution vs The Theogony".

Creationism stops becoming mythology and becomes a dangerous religious idea when people start saying that it should be taught as an alternative to evolution

Martian:
Religion contradicts science but I don't take religious vie to be valid so there is no conflict.

The contradiction is the conflict. I was talking of conflict in the sense that the two things are contradictory.

Martian:
You can include anything you want. Just because you are more familiar with the 3 major religions "in Nigeria" doen't mean those are the only ones to consider. Anyway, you forgot to tell me to use my brain.

Kiss my azz.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:
You were the one that mentioned that creationism is absent in scientific circles. Are you that forgetful?
It was the way you edited your post at first. It attributed it to you. satisfied? lol

logicboy:
Creationism stops becoming mythology and becomes a dangerous religious idea when people start saying that it should be taught as an alternative to evolution

The constitution of the U.S and the judcial sytem has been able to curb the euthusiasm of the religious zealots. Calm down, it will never happen. Google Scopes monkey trial. On the other hand, you should worry about the sharia schools in Northern Nigeria. Alo, when I went to high school in Nigeria, creationism was never taught.Again, chill out.

logicboy:
The contradiction is the conflict. I was talking of conflict in the sense that the two things are contradictory.

A contradiction is not a conflict unless one chooses to use one assertion to refute the other.

Contradiction- To assert or express the opposite of a statement
Conflict- mental struggle resulting from incompatible or opposing needs, drives, wishes, or external or internal demands.

An example, a few years ago, Adeboye was named as one of Time's most infuental people and some Nigerian christians were proud and honored. I thought it was appaling that the Nigerian to make the list was a Mystic. In the age of industrialists, inventors and intellectuals, Nigeria's contribution was a man whose expertise are public speaking and jewish mythology.F#cking sad.

Anyway, he told a story about how he drove for 300km on a bone dry gas tank. Now this contradicts common sense and scientific knowledge but there is no conflict in my view because his claim is a based on his religious beliefs which I think are lies so there is no need for me to try to reconcile science and religion. The person with the conflict is the member of his church who has to reconcile a natural impossiblity with his belief in the supernatural.

logicboy:
Kiss my azz.

THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN says you can kiss both of our azzes. Pucker up boychik!
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by logicboy: 5:40pm On Jun 15, 2012
Martian:
It was the way you edited your post at first. It attributed it to you. satisfied? lol

The constitution of the U.S and the judcial sytem has been able to curb the euthusiasm of the religious zealots. Calm down, it will never happen. Google Scopes monkey trial. On the other hand, you should worry about the sharia schools in Northern Nigeria. Alo, when I went to high school in Nigeria, creationism was never taught.Again, chill out.

A contradiction is not a conflict unless one chooses to use one assertion to refute the other.

Contradiction- To assert or express the opposite of a statement
Conflict- mental struggle resulting from incompatible or opposing needs, drives, wishes, or external or internal demands.

An example, a few years ago, Adeboye was named as one of Time's most infuental people and some Nigerian christians were proud and honored. I thought it was appaling that the Nigerian to make the list was a Mystic. In the age of industrialists, inventors and intellectuals, Nigeria's contribution was a man whose expertise are public speaking jewish mythology.F#cking sad.

Anyway, he told a story about how he drove for 300km on a bone dry gas tank. Now this contradicts common sense and scientific knowledde but there is no conflict in my view because his claim is a based on his religious beliefs which I think are lies so there is no need for me to try to reconcile science and religion. The person with the conflict is the member of his church who has to reconcile a natural impossiblity to his belief in the supernatural.

THE GREAT LEPRECHAUN says you can kiss both of our azzes. Pucker up boychik!

What is wrong with you? We end up saying similar things. Why cant you ever be patient with me?

As for conflict;

con·flict   [v. kuhn-flikt; n. kon-flikt] Show IPA
verb (used without object)
to come into collision or disagreement; be contradictory, at variance, or in opposition; clash: The account of one eyewitness conflicted with that of the other. My class conflicts with my going to the concert

Dictionary.com
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conflict
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jun 15, 2012
logicboy:
As for conflict;
con·flict   [v. kuhn-flikt; n. kon-flikt] Show IPA
verb (used without object)
to come into collision or disagreement; be contradictory, at variance, or in opposition; clash: The account of one eyewitness conflicted with that of the other. My class conflicts with my going to the concert
Dictionary.com
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conflict

Notice in your definition that there are two contradictory choices. Well, I don't consider creationism and the rest of hebrew crap stories to be nothing but crap stories. Every culture has one or two. So creationism is not a choice. (at least for me)

The conflict occurs because YOU are trying to compare and contrast to see which one is valid. By doing this, you are actually lending credence to creationism, hence the conflict. You are reponsible for the conflict.

If you insist that there is a conflict, that means you think that the judeo christian gods feats in bible have the possiblity of being true. You are the one giving it the sanction to be paraded. You and PEOPLE whose religious views have unabled them to accept evolution.

I and others don't have a conflict because creationism isn't science so there is no need to consider it as an explanation for anything.

If you want a conflict, use Creationism vs Summerian Epic or Hesiod's Theogony vs Allah's creation of the universe.

creationism vs evolution is just the foolhardy of some fundies and yourself.
Re: Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? by Kay17: 6:27pm On Jun 15, 2012
Both science and Christianity are caught up in the same field: metaphyics. Both have competing say on the question of reality. Science looks up to Nature as all there is, Christianity finds a transcendent truth which is the most competent explanation for everything.

There is a conflict between both. Though some Christians have found a way of integration scientific results to their faith, however Creationism is a fundamentalist response to Science.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

It's about genuine Love (Summary of GOD's Commandments) / Names To Describe God. / Jesus And Other Gods Born On December 25

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.