Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension (8261 Views)

Senate Presidency: APC May Conduct Primaries For Lawan, Saraki, Akume / Breakingnews:oyo Lawmakers Sign Impeachment Notice On Ajimobi / Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by free2ryhme: 6:59am On Jun 15, 2012
[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=farouk_lawan__new_961834763.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

Over 200 members of the House of Representatives have signed up for the suspension of fuel subsidy probe chairman Farouk Lawan over the bribe-for-clearance scandal.

Members are angry that the scandal has impugned on the integrity of the House and brought personal slight on members.

But Lawan, who got wind of the move, visited Speaker Aminu Tambuwal early yesterday to plead for leniency.

Lawan reportedly told Tambuwal that leaving him stranded now will also bring opprobrium to the House.

Tambuwal was said to have told Lawan that he has no personal grudge against him but that members’ decision on the floor will be final.

The Speaker’s position is in tandem with that of the Deputy Chairman of the House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Victor Ogene, who yesterday said that members will be guided by their desire to safeguard the institutional Integrity of the House.

Over five caucuses were said to have met. Meetings were held simultaneously in Asokoro and Maitama, Abuja.

The meetings were hinged on what would be the form and content of today’s plenary, it was learnt.

The Maitama meeting, which took place in the house of a member of the leadership, was to find a common way out of the $3 million bribe –for-clearance scandal and protect the House’s integrity.

Though the House has called for an emergency session today, it was polarised on the appropriate action to take on Lawan, who admitted collecting $620,000 from businessman Femi Otedola.

Some members are said to be suggesting to the Speaker not to set up an ad hoc committee to investigate the issue. They would rather have the House Committee on Ethics and Privileges take over the case. According to them, this will give Lawan a breathing space and a face-saving opportunity.

Today’s session is likely to see a motion being moved under order of privilege by Chief Whip, Mohammed Bawa.

The remaining event will be pure protocol as members will debate back and forth on all that has been in the public domain while they were on break. Eventually, it will culminate in a resolution.

Sources told our correspondents that there may be a rally today at the National Assembly in Lawan’s favour.

On rumoured plans to impeach the Speaker, a member, Kaka Kyari Gujbawu (PDP, Borno) said it was neither the intention of President Goodluck Jonathan nor that of any body within the Presidency to remove Tambuwal.

Gujbawu said: “The President is not interested in who becomes the Speaker of the House within the present circumstances, but I will say that as far as I am aware, there is no meeting that is going on to remove the Speaker or to effect a change in the leadership of the House.

“We should put our House in order and find ways and means of regaining the confidence of Nigerians because the Presidency did not ask anybody to go and collect money from anybody.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/50342-200-lawmakers-sign-up-for-lawan%E2%80%99s-suspension.html

1 Like

Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by acidtalk: 7:10am On Jun 15, 2012
Awon ole jakujaku.
Bunch of criminals in agbada.

More dangerous and evil than a billion Anini and Shina Rambo put together.

Amadioha go burn una yan*sh one after the other.

Barawo! Oyianra!! Ole!!! Theif!!!!

1 Like

Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by papadenzel(m): 7:15am On Jun 15, 2012
Are we talking suspension or expulsion? This guy should be sent straight to jail to serve as a lesson and deterrent to his colleagues.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 15, 2012
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Eazeee(m): 3:41pm On Jun 15, 2012
jail or hang Farouk 4 collecting d bribe & also implement d report of d subsidy committee by hanging dos indicted as well as conduct investigation 2 find out dos companies dat paid money so as not 2 b indicted which i belief Otedola wil b part of & shud equally b hanged..
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by sleek29(m): 3:41pm On Jun 15, 2012
hmmm, but the guy planned to share it with other members of the committee?, now they have ditched the guy, Nigeria i hail thee, what happens to the fuel subsidy probe?
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Austyn316(m): 3:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
acidtalk: Awon ole jakujaku.

Farouk Lawan has no immunity even if his colleagues let him go off the hook. He is bound to dace the music. He should reveal other co-conspirators. The truth really is that everyone in that house is a thief waiting to be caught. In the Nigerian parlance, we say "don't be caught."

You can imagine that this same Lawan, lied against Patricia Etteh and claimed to be a saint. Everyman surely reaps what he sows.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by emsquare(m): 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2012
acidtalk: Awon ole jakujaku.

Small! Small!!!

1 Like

Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Arosa(m): 3:54pm On Jun 15, 2012
I feel sorry for this small guy farouk, he is been made a scapegoat. nevertheless justice must take it's course. I hope. undecided
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Beync(f): 3:55pm On Jun 15, 2012
this is serious, these lawbreakers are bunch id*ots. rally in suport of lawan who took bribe. what a shame! why wont this lawan go to jail to teach others a lesson? instead they want to give a breathing space and a face-saving opportunity. this why curroption has come to stay. house of assemblies of id*ots.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Bosuntop: 3:56pm On Jun 15, 2012
Thief farouk suspended,what next?another set of thieves take over the probe?not these fuel probe will nail otedola i can bet it.alot of faceless companies is own by this cabal..The reason for bribe is still unknown.. Its only farouk that can release the bombshell...i dey laugh oooo.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by ebamma(m): 4:00pm On Jun 15, 2012
na chop alone kill farouk lawan,if to say him been do chop i chop wit oda members of the national assembly,the case for die a natural death.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Adagba1: 4:09pm On Jun 15, 2012
Without sounding as if Iam defending this criminal 'Lawan'.I think they are not fair to him,Elumelu was not suspended,Hembe and others accused of corruption were not suspended from the house during their trial period.Why is his case different? May be because they call him mr 'Integrity?'
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by dein77(m): 4:13pm On Jun 15, 2012
I think i need a break from these constantly depressing news! How can a nation be corrupt to this extent?
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by cusehcuseh(m): 4:18pm On Jun 15, 2012
Who amongst thm tht has collectd bribe or xyphone 9ja's money shld cast d 1st stone. Dis man didnt collect 9ja's moni bt paid 2 cover Otedola whom sum1 enlistd hs cmpany among those 2 b paid subsidy fee. Hav they caught who enlistd otedola's 2 cmpanies 2 b paid?
Subsidy's panel hw far wt d developmnt?
Is he d only beneficiary of d $620?
Pls, we nid Buhari 2 cm in n penaliz all dis pple. They make me sick.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by AnotherOkija: 4:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
[img]http:///gallery/d/55413-5/Security-cam-CCTV-vag-punch.gif?[/img]

Otedola and Farouk.. grin

Otedola wins.... AGAIN!!
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by cusehcuseh(m): 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2012
Who amongst thm tht hasn't collectd bribe or xyphone 9ja's money shld cast d 1st stone. Dis man didnt collect 9ja's moni bt paid 2 cover Otedola whom sum1 enlistd hs cmpany among those 2 b paid subsidy fee. Hav they caught who enlistd otedola's 2 cmpanies 2 b paid?
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Piyke: 4:24pm On Jun 15, 2012
The truth is that Farouk couldn't have eaten that money alone. I recall that otedola said farouk told him that the $3million was to settle other members of the house.

I think we are yet to see more dirty laundry
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by AnotherOkija: 4:26pm On Jun 15, 2012
cusehcuseh: Who amongst thm tht hasn't collectd bribe or xyphone 9ja's money shld cast d 1st stone. Dis man didnt collect 9ja's moni bt paid 2 cover Otedola whom sum1 enlistd hs cmpany among those 2 b paid subsidy fee. Hav they caught who enlistd otedola's 2 cmpanies 2 b paid?

Quote of the day..[img]http:///gallery/d/42538-1/Bravo_clap.gif?[/img]
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Piyke: 4:27pm On Jun 15, 2012
cusehcuseh: Who amongst thm tht hasn't collectd bribe or xyphone 9ja's money shld cast d 1st stone. Dis man didnt collect 9ja's moni bt paid 2 cover Otedola whom sum1 enlistd hs cmpany among those 2 b paid subsidy fee. Hav they caught who enlistd otedola's 2 cmpanies 2 b paid?

I laughed when i the part in bold especially after his recent jail or shoot recipe. I would support death anyway...personally
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Jeze: 4:29pm On Jun 15, 2012
Its easy to crucify someone for been corrupt. The truth of the matter is that the Nigerian system encourages corruption;i remembered using another State local govt identification to gain admission into the university and doing the fake age declaration thing cos i got into sch. at the age of 22yrs to study engineering. When u graduate and do the NYSC thing u are closed to 30yrs. Then GTB and their likes will say not more than 25yrs for job. The system made a lot to us corrupt.But Lawan dance ur music alone.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Reference(m): 4:35pm On Jun 15, 2012
I will continue to have respect for the Lower House. I am not unduly worried about the saga but my satisfaction lies with the willingness of the House to deal with the matter and protect the institution they belong to.

As far as I'm concerned they hold the moral high ground in the present government, willing to cut across party lines to solve problems. If only the other arms are even willing to admit their mistakes perhaps good governance will gain some traction.

Where is the Upper House in all this. Not willing to risk getting their paws all messy when corruption fights back.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Jeze: 4:35pm On Jun 15, 2012
Arosa: I feel sorry for this small guy farouk, he is been made a scapegoat. nevertheless justice must take it's course. I hope. undecided
I agreed in total with u
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by israelbenzion: 4:54pm On Jun 15, 2012
Jeze: i remembered using another State local govt identification to gain admission into the university and doing the fake age declaration thing cos i got into sch.

And tomorrow someone like u will head a panel to probe corruption. U see why the next generation of Nigerians will be worse? I tire sef!
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by AustineE1: 5:03pm On Jun 15, 2012
Farouk though a midget but have the thirst and gluttonuos aggrandisement of a million giants!...gone are those days of his so called 'intergrity group',formed to hunt down percieved political enemies!..inspite of his tiny voice,he wont ve the priveledge of lullabies any more,is time for dirges!
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by BabaOlowo: 5:05pm On Jun 15, 2012
Useless Soldiers, pot bellied idiots who cannot do anything reasonable but to drink beer and pepper soup, is this not the Best time to LISTEN to the call of Nigerians and get rid of these ROGUES.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by awesomet1(m): 5:16pm On Jun 15, 2012
[img]http:///gallery/d/42538-1/Bravo_clap.gif?[/img]A clap for the "honourables"
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by tessyade: 5:18pm On Jun 15, 2012
israel ben-zion:

And tomorrow someone like u will head a panel to probe corruption. U see why the next generation of Nigerians will be worse? I tire sef!
My thought exactly. Even our leaders of tomorrow are already deep in the corruption water. God help this country.
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by donchrisk(m): 6:07pm On Jun 15, 2012
what a mess. This honourables are truely thieves and rogues. I hop dis house will still invite obj 4 calling them thieves and robers, i de laugh oooo
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by edicolove: 6:09pm On Jun 15, 2012
Today, the Nigerian house of representatives shamed us and called us fools, asking the entire 160 million Nigerians to go do their worst! They rose from an emergency session and instead of tackling what is one of the worst corruption cases in Nigeria, they have decided to come up with a cock and bull conspiracy theory!

They have just shown that they are all accomplices in this corruption saga. From the speaker down to the last man. They have shown that Nigeria cannot move forward as a country as long as those who claim they are helping us check the corrupt executive are the real crooks and blackmailers. OBJ said they were thieves and robbers and they shouted him down only to come and show us on National TV live, that they are real barawos! Shameless to say the least.

Where is the Save Nigeria Group when it matters most? Or do they only come out when they have a cheap political point to score against the government?

Where is the NBA? Where is Labour? Where are the #OccupyNigeria people? Or is this a confirmation that they were actually sponsored to protest in January?

Passing a vote of confidence on the house leadership and claiming the already tainted report will stand is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in a situation like this. That report is not worth a patch of tissue paper in the light of this scandal. Instead of them to sit down, do the right thing and if need be, do a fresh and credible investigation and report, they are there deceiving themselves. How on earth will you admit a report whose author is seriously indicted, in this manner, in any court of law. These guys are fools of the worst breed. How did we ever vote these kind of lawmakers into office in the first place? Even the so called opposition lawmakers just sit there and shout "aye" or "nay" to everything. This is so disheartening!

This is just too much. Let us collectively insist on the following:

1. All the members involved in this saga be immediately tried and if found guilty, jailed accordingly.
2. Government should ask a new neutral body with credible elements(if there are any left in Nigeria) to conduct a thorough probe of the subsidy case.
3. Membership to the National assembly should henceforth be a part time job.
4. The NASS members should immediately stop collecting ridiculous allocations for so called constituency projects. Imagine a NASS member collecting over 45 million per quarter. For what? They are not contractors. They are elected to make laws, not to construct projects. And you have over 360 members in the house alone!!!
5. All their excess allowances should be slashed and reduced to reasonable standards.

Please we must do something, if not for ourselves, but for future generations. Don't fold your hand and watch as your country is driven aground. The least you can do is broadcast this until it gets to the phone or email or whatever of every senator, house of reps member, gov, president, minister and security agents. Let them know we are really serious and ready to take our country back!

God bless Nigeria!
Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 15, 2012
May God help my fathers land, God there is nothing too big for you to handle since the beginning of time, Help Nigeria, oh Lord.

1 Like

Re: 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension by edicolove: 6:29pm On Jun 15, 2012
Eazee-e:
jail or hang Farouk 4 collecting d bribe & also implement d report of d subsidy committee by hanging dos indicted as well as conduct investigation 2 find out dos companies dat paid money so as not 2 b indicted which i belief Otedola wil b part of & shud equally b hanged..

Stop insulting our sensibilities with this kind of rubbish. Did you not go to school? How can you implement a fraudulent report? People like you are the problem of Nigeria. They say someone is caught on camera taking bribe and you are telling us about a banana report. Do you even know the meaning of "credible"? That report is not worth more than a roll of tissue paper! You are adding salt to our injury. Nonsense!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do The Igbos Hate Buhari? - The Nation / Oyo PDP Group Endorses Eddy Olafeso As PDP Southwest Chairman / 2023 Presidency: Should Northern Candidates Be On The Ballot?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.