Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,772 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:46 PM

Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour (28843 Views)

Is This Always True Abt The Binis?? / Why Do Some Yorubas Like Claiming The Binis Originated From Yorubaland? / Marriage Between Rivers People And Igbos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ezotik: 1:41am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx:

15k years ago was the migration into the continent, not Igboland...

They were probably alluding to Egypt and the arrival of the Hyskos, or Greeks...

ok, do.
im tired, i wan go sleep.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 1:43am On Dec 11, 2012
More research needs to be done by Africans to know our real history...

Personally, I think archaeology and anthropology courses should be promoted around Africa - we need more people in those fields, to be honest...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Crayola1: 1:50am On Dec 11, 2012
~Royal~:
I put the same "emphasis" on Lip Prominence as well

Notice the wording is Exactly the same

Yet you approached me to only complain about the statements i made about noses

and not lips

When i have intertwined them Both

This is a direct result of your own brainwashing and negative perceptions of "Big Noses"

So keep your insecurities on the Sideline "Sister"...Ight? cheesy

Broad features is what I originally said grin

Crayola1: What's with all this broad features nonsense, a good deal of Nigerians have broad features that one would consider African, not just Igbo people undecided

~Royal~:

As an Igbo Woman, Don't be offended.

When Royal speaks of Broad Wide Noses...He is speaking of flawless Beauty

#TeamBigNoses
You brought up noses first, not me. So who is really insecure grin
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 1:51am On Dec 11, 2012
bokohalal: @ PhysicsQED,there is only one 'Aybo'street by Isekhere/Ibiwe.You could even ask any driver or Okada to drop you there. The same pronunciation applies to the Bazuaye appellation not the 'e' as in 'Edward' which is for divinity.

Thanks for clearing that up. Could you explain the origin of that street's name to me then?

I've read about some Europeans lodging in some houses in Benin in past centuries and I posted one source in another thread from a Dutchman who gave a description of the city and said that he and another Dutchman were lodged in the same house. Was Ebo street a specific area of the city that most or all of the European traders stayed at in the past? Or does it have no such association?

No one is saying that there was large-scale admixture of races but to deny that there was none at all, would be fantastic.

You're right. I guess what I'm against is not really the claim that there was some admixture here and there in a few places, but some claims that something (skin tone variation) that happens naturally between and within different human groups everywhere else has to be due to admixture when it occurs among Africans.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Crayola1: 1:52am On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx:

How can wikipedia be more credible than that site??

The same wikipedia that can be edited by anyone?? grin

Wikipedia links to credible sources more often then not, that site's only source is someone's behind.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 1:54am On Dec 11, 2012
Exactly, she looks regular Nigerian.

Yet that "skin tone" is always claimed to be a sign of Mixture

not always.

it IS a sign of admixture, but at the same time, isnt the only sign of admixture.

neither is it considered a definitive proof of admixture.

besides, it can come out of a bottle.

in addition, all the extra stuff used by women nowadays, are designed to mimic admixture, so one needs to see the natural facie first in order to have an informed opinion.

Once again, Hair tells more about admixture than Skin Complexion.

true
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Crayola1: 1:55am On Dec 11, 2012
Anyway, some folks need a hobby. Skin color this and that undecided this has to be the 30+ thread on this. Lord kiss
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 2:01am On Dec 11, 2012
Crayola1:

Wikipedia links to credible sources more often then not, that site's only source is someone's behind.

The website is credible and most of the text on it are also on wikipedia and academic sources on the internet...

I just referenced it because of the map...
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by bokohalal(m): 2:03am On Dec 11, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Thanks for clearing that up. Could you explain the origin of that street's name to me then?

I've read about some Europeans lodging in some houses in Benin in past centuries and I posted one source in another thread from a Dutchman who gave a description of the city and said that he and another Dutchman were lodged in the same house. Was Ebo street a specific area of the city that most or all of the European traders stayed at in the past? Or does it have no such association?

You're right. I guess what I'm against is not really the claim that there was some admixture here and there in a few places, but some claims that something (skin tone variation) that happens naturally between and within different human groups everywhere else has to be due to admixture when it occurs among Africans.
Sorry,origin is unknown to me. But with the family I mentioned living very close by,I have concluded that Europeans lived on that street.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 2:05am On Dec 11, 2012
Crayola1: Anyway, some folks need a hobby. Skin color this and that undecided this has to be the 30+ thread on this. Lord kiss

It's better to debate it and set it records straight to educate Africans in Africa and those who're new in the Western world... I noticed Africans have colour problems and most think being light-skinned is better...

Emancipation of black minds from mental slavery and making them embrace the blackness of their skin... grin
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 2:12am On Dec 11, 2012
bokohalal:
Sorry,origin is unknown to me. But with the family I mentioned living very close by,I have concluded that Europeans lived on that street.

Alright, I see. Thanks.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 2:27am On Dec 11, 2012
Just to also put this out there: the haplogroup E1b1b which is prominent among most West Africans including all the ethnic groups in Nigeria originated from the horn of Africa... It shows that we all migrated from there, however, our physical features have changed due to climate and our new environment...

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by LondonLisa: 3:43am On Dec 11, 2012
Viewing this topic: happy_bird, stillwater, Sybellah(f)
kiss
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by LondonLisa: 3:51am On Dec 11, 2012
tpia1:

not always.

it IS a sign of admixture, but at the same time, isnt the only sign of admixture.

neither is it considered a definitive proof of admixture.

besides, it can come out of a bottle.

in addition, all the extra stuff used by women nowadays, are designed to mimic admixture, so one needs to see the natural facie first in order to have an informed opinion.

true

Yep
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 10:17pm On Dec 11, 2012
shymexx:
R1b DNA already proved that Edos and Igbos have a significant amount of people with European ancestry - you just can't argue against that...

R1b DNA is found in Chadic speakers in Africa, not in speakers of languages classified in the larger language group that Edo or Igbo is classified in.

And even then it seems that this probably Eurasian DNA in Chadic speakers is slight.

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 11:12pm On Dec 11, 2012
^ your last sentence is debatable, unless you're not referring to peoples from around the chad basin, many of who are araboid.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by PhysicsQED(m): 11:29pm On Dec 11, 2012
tpia1: ^ your last sentence is debatable, unless you're not referring to peoples from around the chad basin, many of who are araboid

Actually, after (re)checking I found both sentences are only partially true. There are some groups with heavier amounts of Eurasian DNA than others and there is even some R1b DNA found in a few non-Chadic language speakers. But none has been found among the two non-Chadic speaking peoples shymmex was referring to, and anyways, that R1b DNA has nothing to do with mixing in recent colonial times (I think he knows this, but was just looking for something to argue with ezeagu about.)
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia1: 12:27am On Dec 12, 2012
ok, fair enough.

i wasnt following shymexx's posts, so i have no idea what he wrote.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Abagworo(m): 2:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
I don't know why but I dislike all these Igbo association with whites and Jews. It gets to my nerves. Igbos are the same with every other black people on earth.

2 Likes

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 12, 2012
Abagworo: I don't know why but I dislike all these Igbo association with whites and Jews. It gets to my nerves. Igbos are the same with every other black people on earth.

I agree. It's very tacky tbh.

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 12, 2012
@topic...why are we so obsessed with facial features and skin complexion?

1 Like

Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 29, 2012
shymexx: Haplogroup R1B (Y-DNA) Map...

^^^You can clearly see the Igbo region and Northern Cameroon on the map... If there's no race admixture, how come R1B Western European DNA is prominent among Igbos??

....Bruddah Shymexx......I think that Map is Pointing to Northern Cameroon....

Check this Video out.

It seems Chadic Speakers and Northern Cameroon Hold R1B Markers

.....It seems the Ibos are off the Hook........ grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0weSbf0TsZ0 <------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/ff/Haplogroup_R_%28Y-DNA%29.PNG/800px-Haplogroup_R_%28Y-DNA%29.PNG[/img]
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by morpheus24: 5:26pm On Dec 31, 2012
I really don't know why this topic continues to be repeated with the same exact conclusions for the past 5 years. Either some people are block headed or simply can't run searches.

https://www.nairaland.com/70480/igbos-only-light-skinned-tribe/5

https://www.nairaland.com/227222/igbo-people-being-light-it/1

https://www.nairaland.com/224407/albino-not-same-thing-being

https://www.nairaland.com/226540/igbos-descendent-sudanese-igala-mixed
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 6:55pm On Dec 31, 2012
^thread title says binis, while the threads you pulled up are for igbos only.

there's a difference, unless you consider both the same.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 31, 2012
I never Knew Tpia had her picture posted.

Very Nice

As Far as the Topic....The Chadic Speakers and The R1B Thing are Far More Interesting

Igbos are more diverse with skin tones just like many Bantu Speaking Groups Further South.

Their Light Brown and Medium Brown Tones don't make them Less SSA....It would be like saying the Fante are more pure black than the Yoruba, because Yoruba Carry more Medium Brown Tones

......There should be more threads on the Hausa...LoL...

My Man Pagan might Carry That R1B.... grin.....

Which Makes all of his conversations with Jallow even More Hilarious Mwuahahahaha
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by morpheus24: 8:45pm On Dec 31, 2012
tpia@:
^thread title says binis, while the threads you pulled up are for igbos only.

there's a difference, unless you consider both the same.
Tpia

Pleae look at most of the responses on this thread and tell me it doesn't tilt towards the Igbo ethnic group.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 9:01pm On Dec 31, 2012
it didnt get tilted towards igbos until the third page.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by ChinaMade: 2:37am On Jan 01, 2013
ibo wear light skin tone from sukky fukky with oyibo
oyibo mans play with long ibo arms
ibo womenz make babiis color of urine wif short arm
ibo nose still stay big
oyibo alwayz playz trickz
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 9:13am On Jan 01, 2013
^what's your known moniker and when did nairaland become rwandaland.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by alanmwene: 8:35pm On Feb 02, 2013
I think it is misleading to think that light-skinned=mixed with whites coz there are millions of naturally light-skinned africans,specially in tropical areas.I know plenty congolese people who are so lights that people always think they are mixed-races.And the lightest people are usually found deep in the congo forest,very far away from coastal areas.When you live in the forest,you are less exposed to the sun!And over 1000s of years ,you will lose a great deal of melanine.The perfect examples of this are khoisans and pygmees!These groups produce the lightest people in black africa.
I dont know what is the percentage of light-skinned igbos ,but I am pretty sure that you find ways more light-skinned people in congo,botswana,south africa,etc...than among igbos.
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by tpia5: 9:57pm On Feb 02, 2013
The op said some, not all
Re: Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour by Abagworo(m): 4:12pm On Feb 03, 2013
alanmwene: I think it is misleading to think that light-skinned=mixed with whites coz there are millions of naturally light-skinned africans,specially in tropical areas.I know plenty congolese people who are so lights that people always think they are mixed-races.And the lightest people are usually found deep in the congo forest,very far away from coastal areas.When you live in the forest,you are less exposed to the sun!And over 1000s of years ,you will lose a great deal of melanine.The perfect examples of this are khoisans and pygmees!These groups produce the lightest people in black africa.
I dont know what is the percentage of light-skinned igbos ,but I am pretty sure that you find ways more light-skinned people in congo,botswana,south africa,etc...than among igbos.

I'm Igbo and I believe Igbos are of the same stock as some Congolese and Zambian groups. Even though most Igbos disagree with that link, our phenotype and language similarities with Zambians, Ugandans and Congolese points to an earlier contact.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Omu-ekiti: A Community Filled With Strange Tales And Mysteries / Sleepless Ordeals Of Nigerians.. / Ooni Of Ife & Alaafin Of Oyo Attend The Finals Of Shina Peller Unity Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.