Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:58 AM

During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? (103652 Views)

NYSC: A Litmus Test For A Faithful Wife/girlfriend / 10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Staying In Family House During NYSC / Why Do Some Married Ladies Commit Adultery During NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Bisjosh(f): 10:17am On Jun 18, 2012
Please house kindly advice my good friend of a proper course under management to take during his NYSC programme. Thanks as I await your intelligent responses.

1 Like

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by escobar07(m): 10:43am On Jun 18, 2012
NIM associate membership wont be bad. The other one is ISMN.

1 Like

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Bisjosh(f): 10:59am On Jun 18, 2012
escobar07: NIM associate membership wont be bad. The other one is ISMN.

Thank u very much. Pls what is the full meaning of ISMN so that i can google it
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by librangyps(f): 11:02am On Jun 18, 2012
NIM, CIA, structural mgt
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by escobar07(m): 11:08am On Jun 18, 2012
it means institute of strategic management of nigeria(ISMN)
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Bisjosh(f): 11:18am On Jun 18, 2012
librangyps: NIM, CIA, structural mgt
THANKS

2 Likes

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Bisjosh(f): 11:18am On Jun 18, 2012
escobar07: it means institute of strategic management of nigeria(ISMN)
GRATEFUL!!!
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jun 30, 2012
Hello Bisjosh. I may be wrong, but from what I've seen, I consider NIM, ISMN and their lookalikes as ''organized scam!''

If ur friend is sciences, (s)he should go for HSE, HUET, BOSIET and their likes and/or any IT course like MCSE, MCITP, CCNA..etc. If (s)he is not sciences, then any of the IT courses would do.

Shalom.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Bisjosh(f): 9:24am On Jul 03, 2012
fluid26: Hello Bisjosh. I may be wrong, but from what I've seen, I consider NIM, ISMN and their lookalikes as ''organized scam!''

If ur friend is sciences, (s)he should go for HSE, HUET, BOSIET and their likes and/or any IT course like MCSE, MCITP, CCNA..etc. If (s)he is not sciences, then any of the IT courses would do.

Shalom.

Thanks bt he studied economics
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Nosu(m): 8:15pm On Jul 03, 2012
Nim is a waste of time, NIM programe during Nysc is more like a membership programme I.e after taking the exam and pass they nw see u as a member. Which means u still hv some stages of exams to write to be certified. Dat y I also see it as a scam. Was really interest and I bring along materials from home to my ppa until I browse thru their site and it done on me dat it was a waste of time.
He/ she shld do things like ICAN,CIBN etc if the money is there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jul 03, 2012
my advice for your friend is to be careful and be very watchful
she should know what she wants rather than think of acquiring more certificates she should focus on
acquirng skills that would enhance her employability.

most programs being offered to corpers are very fraudulent. and from everything
i have seen so far, i would advice him to do his research very well before acquiring some useless paper in the
name of qualification or course.
in general any course or whatever that would not add value to his life should not be considered.
let him take the time to plan his career path, and let God do the rest.
best wishes.

7 Likes

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by mygee33(m): 11:26pm On Jul 03, 2012
Preference are giving to corps members for masters! NIM is pure Scam!! Who said Economist can't get IT certified! Am I really earning with my first degree in Economics? NO.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by linsa01(m): 11:33pm On Jul 03, 2012
CIPM, ICAN. Any of this is ok for econs. Graduate if the financial stregth is there. IT courses ain't bad as well

1 Like

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by achmed1(m): 12:19am On Jul 04, 2012
CIPMN, CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF PERSONNAL MGT IS THE WAY TO GO AND IT AINT CHEAP OOO. THE WHOLE PROGRAM COST ME NOTHING LESS THAN 150000 INCLUDING LECTURE FEES. AS A GRAD OF ECO YOU WILL START FRM INTERMEDIATE TWO THROUGH TO PE 2. THREE STAGES EXAMS COME UP FEB AND AUGUST EVERY YR.
THERE CERT IS RELEVANT FOR HRM HUMAN RESOURCES. ANY COY WITH AT LEAST 50 EMPLOYEES SHLD HAVE A HR DEPT.

5 Likes

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Cnwaiche(m): 12:24am On Jul 04, 2012
fluid26: Hello Bisjosh. I may be wrong, but from what I've seen, I consider NIM, ISMN and their lookalikes as ''organized scam!''

Shalom.

I think fluid is right here, all those programmes he listed are very nice and self-sustaining for an average nigerian youth. I'm currently a serving corp member with certification on HSE and CCNA. Believe me, ur friend won't regret it (s)he enrols in one.
Kudos Fluid.....u r on point.
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by hustla(m): 12:44am On Jul 04, 2012
Cnwaiche:

I think fluid is right here, all those programmes he listed are very nice and self-sustaining for an average nigerian youth. I'm currently a serving corp member with certification on HSE and CCNA. Believe me, ur friend won't regret it (s)he enrols in one.
Kudos Fluid.....u r on point.

Studied Mass Comm,would H.S.E,PMPI and NIM be good for me? And also would d CCNA make sense?
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by hustla(m): 12:46am On Jul 04, 2012
achmed1: CIPMN, CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF PERSONNAL MGT IS THE WAY TO GO AND IT AINT CHEAP OOO. THE WHOLE PROGRAM COST ME NOTHING LESS THAN 150000 INCLUDING LECTURE FEES. AS A GRAD OF ECO YOU WILL START FRM INTERMEDIATE TWO THROUGH TO PE 2. THREE STAGES EXAMS COME UP FEB AND AUGUST EVERY YR.
THERE CERT IS RELEVANT FOR HRM HUMAN RESOURCES. ANY COY WITH AT LEAST 50 EMPLOYEES SHLD HAVE A HR DEPT.

Studied Mass Comm and I'd like to do my Masters in HR...would you recommend dis CIPM for me during my service year?I would be done in October..
Thanks
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by hustla(m): 12:48am On Jul 04, 2012
mygee33: Preference are giving to corps members for masters! NIM is pure Scam!! Who said Economist can't get IT certified! Am I really earning with my first degree in Economics? NO.

Are u earning with your IT certification? Please share some knowledge and hint us sir..
Thanks
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Heymus(m): 1:07am On Jul 04, 2012
Pls. Can someone tel me a gud prof. Course to embark on during this my service year, i studied Architecture. Pls.
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by dipotepede(m): 2:10am On Jul 04, 2012
I will recommend the Project Management Professional Certification.

1. It is scalable

2. It is globally recognized

3. It is the highest paying certification on earth according to about dot com with an average pay out of 90K dollars per annum

4. The world is more agile and running business in a projectized manner, its important to get with the band wagon.

5. It is more than career development skill but more of a personal development in all ramification of life

You can read more about it by reading an interview I had with a PMP by clicking the link below:

http://www.dipotepede.org/pm-with-dipo/pmp/interview-with-a-pmp/

2 Likes

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Cuddlemii: 2:59am On Jul 04, 2012
Bisjosh: Please house kindly advice my good friend of a proper course under management to take during his NYSC programme. Thanks as I await your intelligent responses.

I would prefer IT course(s)/certification(s) for your friend. Very diverse,flexible and versatile.
He/She can work anywhere with it and its acceptable around the world.
Its also a field that peeps from sciences, arts or social science can practice with just a certification of few weeks.
Your friend can save funds by doing self study or use the internet as a resource (tutorial videos etc) and pay for just sitting for the exams.

Project mgt is not bad, its linked to IT as well(and much more). PMP(North-America and more recognized around the world), Prince2 and one other one(UK). But I think there are some prerequisite to writing the PMP like work experience in a project.
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Phikom(m): 4:36am On Jul 04, 2012
Bisjosh:

Thanks bt he studied economics
PRINCE2 Project Management will definitely be of immense addition and great advantage
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by rodeo0070(m): 4:54am On Jul 04, 2012
I would suggest you go for your ICAN. Its a good professional course. along side it, u can go for some IT courses like CISA. Or u can try and learn how to use softwares like peachtree accounting, tally pro etc. all these are very good ways to build yourself and profile cos its they are worth it in d labour market.
Sure NYSC might be a waste of time to some but don't waste yours as well cos this is d time you can channel or re-channel your career path. Wherever u r posted u shud see it as a place to improve urself.
Apart frm taking of course, engage yourself in some trainins like how to repair things(say, electronics, fashion,agric, entertainment etc) . It helps a lot cos u neva can tell wen it will be useful. I used mine to support myself for d period of joblessness till I got a job.
Just see to it that you must learn everyday. Thank you.

9 Likes

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by rodeo0070(m): 5:12am On Jul 04, 2012
@Bijosh. I studied Economics as well but I'm not earning from it. I'm into accounting now. I mentioned earlier that this is d time for "channeling or re-channelin your career path".
I completed my NYSC service in yobe state. Presently, I work as an accounts officer in a world class construction company here in south-west and still puttin the little skills I learned during NYSC to use(phone repairs and pay-tv installation.) I'm mobile phone sales along side my job now
My point is don't let your course limit your friend rather its just a steppin stone.
So lean on yourself, d sky is not just your limit but your spring board.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by abysirius(m): 6:11am On Jul 04, 2012
[quote author=achmed1]CIPMN, CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF PERSONNAL MGT IS THE WAY TO GO AND IT AINT CHEAP OOO. THE WHOLE PROGRAM COST ME NOTHING LESS THAN 150000 INCLUDING LECTURE FEES. AS A GRAD OF ECO YOU WILL START FRM INTERMEDIATE TWO THROUGH TO PE 2. THREE STAGES EXAMS COME UP FEB AND AUGUST EVERY YR.
THERE CERT IS RELEVANT FOR HRM HUMAN RESOURCES. ANY COY WITH AT LEAST 50 EMPLOYEES SHLD HAVE A HR DEPT.[/quote
I hold a B. Tech in Transport Management with option in Maritime Mgt. Hw many stages do u think I'm likely to write b4 qualification? Besides,like hw much are we talking about for a diet? Pls revert asap
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by Heymus(m): 6:31am On Jul 04, 2012
dipotepede: I will recommend the Project Management Professional Certification.

1. It is scalable

2. It is globally recognized

3. It is the highest paying certification on earth according to about dot com with an average pay out of 90K dollars per annum

4. The world is more agile and running business in a projectized manner, its important to get with the band wagon.

5. It is more than career development skill but more of a personal development in all ramification of life

You can read more about it by reading an interview I had with a PMP by clicking the link below:

http://www.dipotepede.org/pm-with-dipo/pmp/interview-with-a-pmp/
Thanks and God bless u sir, i had considered p.m.p. before and just want someone to convince me, which you did 'cos i finds the interview very interesting.

1 Like

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by dabrake(m): 6:36am On Jul 04, 2012
PMP, ITIL.
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by mantote: 6:45am On Jul 04, 2012
@Achmed good morning,pls i will need more info about cipmn.i have been to their site on several occassions but its not interactive.i hardly can find a guide on how to enrol etc.i learnt from the site that they have two exam diets.pls lets get in touch.my e mail add is kingfunsy@yahoo.com
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by NeuroBoss(m): 6:54am On Jul 04, 2012
I think he should consider taking up a new challenge like taking a course to be proficient in second language like, say French. It will be a rewarding venture to embark on during his 11 months as a youth corp membeq. My friend, the world is fast changing and becoming more competitive. Learning a new language will give you an edge whether you'll be doing your own business or working for someone else. I speak several languages so I know the advantages.

5 Likes

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by denzel2009: 7:02am On Jul 04, 2012
Forget PMP you won't meet the requirements to write the exams. Go for ITIL, PRINCE2 and learn Microsoft Office.
Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by horlatunde(m): 7:39am On Jul 04, 2012
escobar07: NIM associate membership wont be bad. The other one is ISMN.
. In my own candid opinion u either do NIM/ISMN 2geda or u do ISMN alone cos it is far more educative dan NIM.

2 Likes

Re: During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? by violent(m): 7:43am On Jul 04, 2012
Try NIOGG (Nigerian Institute of Goalless Graduates)

Do you not have any objectives set for yourself, that you depend on people to tell you what you must do with your own life? Nothing is more indicative of a life without goals than someone who comes on internet asking for a good professional course to take. Do you intend to just become anything?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

NYSC Personal CDS: Procedures Made Easy For The Prospective And Serving Corps / The Shameful Adulterous Lives Of Some Corpers / Female Corper Sexually Harasses Male Corper At Lagos NYSC Camp, Touches His Dick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.