Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,384 members, 7,800,773 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? (14219 Views)

Modernised Hummer Jeep Spotted In Enugu / Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming / How Good Is Toyota Matrix? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by Syenite(m): 11:09am On Jun 18, 2012
I see alot of Cherokees on the road these days (1999-2004 models). Come to think of it they are relative cheap. How durable are Cherokee SUVs? How is their maintenance cost, second-hand value and reliability and comfort. I am contemplating on getting one for my Wife. Cherokee users and experts what are your views please?
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by sultaan(m): 5:28am On Jun 19, 2012
If serviced as scheduled in manual they are bullet proof.

The I6 engine(most common) uses a 42re transmission, as long as you service it and tighten the bands you will be fine.The only fault they may have is the speed sensors dying so your transmission will shift funny because it doesn't know how fast the car is going(happens in all cars brands).

The V8 takes more fuel but powerful, engine and transmission very good.

Jeep has forums that will help you maintain the car, and parts are very cheap.

One good advantage of jeep is you don't need a OBD scanner to scan the truck, by turning the keys on and off 3 times without scanning, it will diagnose itself and give you any code on the odometer screen.

Nissan can do something similar too.

3 Likes

Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by Icon4s(m): 8:21pm On Jun 19, 2012
Thanks a million Sultaan! But d questn is with all d features u mentioned above how come it is a lot cheaper than d Japanese SUVs of same year? I am also interested in d cherokee.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by sultaan(m): 9:47pm On Jun 19, 2012
Nigerians are like most Africans insist on Toyota, or Honda.

I have seen people pay more for a 4cyl Accord than a Acura. Japanese car have higher second hand value because they get exported to Africa.

Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Ford explorers sell a lot more than 4Runner, and Pilot, they may even stop making the 4runner.

Americans do not see Africa as a market, they are focused on new car sales, and the policy in Africa is not conducive i you consider the volume of new car sales. Paying $6k duty on a new car 25% of value excluding freight is kills capitalism.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by Icon4s(m): 5:22pm On Aug 20, 2012
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by omotoda(m): 5:06am On Sep 04, 2012
sultaan: Nigerians are like most Africans insist on Toyota, or Honda.

I have seen people pay more for a 4cyl Accord than a Acura. Japanese car have higher second hand value because they get exported to Africa.

Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Ford explorers sell a lot more than 4Runner, and Pilot, they may even stop making the 4runner.

Americans do not see Africa as a market, they are focused on new car sales, and the policy in Africa is not conducive i you consider the volume of new car sales. Paying $6k duty on a new car 25% of value excluding freight is kills capitalism.

Bros you are perfectly on point.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by redcliff: 6:18am On Sep 08, 2012
I'l advice you to lay ur hands off from that suv if you are looking for fuel economy and cheap maintenance cost. That car gulps fuel, that aside, the parts are quite expensive. I remember when my mum had to change the brake pads, a set was 14000 thereabt.(Don't know if its a set of the front, back or both). I also remember when my cousin used to drop me in scul with it cos I schooled along lagos/ibadan and fuel of 2500 was always not enough to and fro. If its durability,its 100% and that is when u do preventive maintenance o. And it doesn't have a second hand value cos I remember it took us close to a year without driving to sell the damn thing. Its the definition of a beautiful girl smoldered in poop.
If you want performance, then go for it..
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by cretin: 1:04pm On Sep 08, 2012
stick to toyota highlander or 4runner...jeep is good...but it isnt for the techinally unsavvy........n from ur question...am guessing u are...that means u will be at the mercy of ur semi ignorant mechanic..not a good scenario at all
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by adora4u1: 4:11pm On Sep 08, 2012
sultaan: If serviced as scheduled in manual they are bullet proof.

The I6 engine(most common) uses a 42re transmission, as long as you service it and tighten the bands you will be fine.The only fault they may have is the speed sensors dying so your transmission will shift funny because it doesn't know how fast the car is going(happens in all cars brands).

The V8 takes more fuel but powerful, engine and transmission very good.

Jeep has forums that will help you maintain the car, and parts are very cheap.

One good advantage of jeep is you don't need a OBD scanner to scan the truck, by turning the keys on and off 3 times without scanning, it will diagnose itself and give you any code on the odometer screen.

Nissan can do something similar too.

Bros Sultaan, dis your analysis be like Spanish to me o! I remove my gele for you!
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by sultaan(m): 4:13pm On Sep 08, 2012
http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?c=0&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t96965&v=m10997

The fuel economy of 4Runner is better than GC and more powerful, but the used car price is the attractive point for me and the powertrain is good.
redcliff: I'l advice you to lay ur hands off from that suv if you are looking for fuel economy and cheap maintenance cost. That car gulps fuel, that aside, the parts are quite expensive. I remember when my mum had to change the brake pads, a set was 14000 thereabt.(Don't know if its a set of the front, back or both). I also remember when my cousin used to drop me in scul with it cos I schooled along lagos/ibadan and fuel of 2500 was always not enough to and fro. If its durability,its 100% and that is when u do preventive maintenance o. And it doesn't have a second hand value cos I remember it took us close to a year without driving to sell the damn thing. Its the definition of a beautiful girl smoldered in poop.

Brake pads are not expensive should cost the same as in any SUV I actually paid $40 for a very good pad.

If it consuming too much fuel, your check engine light was on
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 08, 2012
FOr your wife ? Cherokees doesnt look feminine. If you ask me, I will say, go for a better truck Cherokees are not lady-like. Sounds like Tipper.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 08, 2012
I dont know why i hate the Grand cherokee even the latest model angry angry angry angry
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by ujukala: 4:51pm On Sep 08, 2012
Americans love GC. If you think the way they do, then you will get your wife one otherwise, get her a Japanese suv.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by pato405(m): 4:53pm On Sep 08, 2012
illitrate: I dont know why i hate the Grand cherokee even the latest model angry angry angry angry

your name alone says it all ! grin

1 Like

Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 08, 2012
No go there...my friend just his own after 1 year.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by vanstanzy(m): 5:01pm On Sep 08, 2012
Syenite: I see alot of Cherokees on the road these days (1999-2004 models). Come to think of it they are relative cheap. How durable are Cherokee SUVs? How is their maintenance cost, second-hand value and reliability and comfort. I am contemplating on getting one for my Wife. Cherokee users and experts what are your views please?

check out Cherokee d'@ss on google and u'll see the reason for the mad rush for the grand cherokee.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by dasparrow: 5:11pm On Sep 08, 2012
redcliff: I'l advice you to lay ur hands off from that suv if you are looking for fuel economy and cheap maintenance cost. That car gulps fuel, that aside, the parts are quite expensive. I remember when my mum had to change the brake pads, a set was 14000 thereabt.(Don't know if its a set of the front, back or both). I also remember when my cousin used to drop me in scul with it cos I schooled along lagos/ibadan and fuel of 2500 was always not enough to and fro. If its durability,its 100% and that is when u do preventive maintenance o. And it doesn't have a second hand value cos I remember it took us close to a year without driving to sell the damn thing. Its the definition of a beautiful girl smoldered in poop.

Well said. One thing about american cars is that they consume alot of fuel. If I was looking for a car, I will go for a car that does not consume too much fuel, is easily maintainable, does not break down easily and whose spare parts are easily accessible and cheap.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by Siga: 5:12pm On Sep 08, 2012
The question remains.....Are there capable and skillful mechanics to fix this SUV? And if there are....how far do you have to travel to find a good, competent one and at what cost? The parts I doubt are cheap in Naija....reason maybe cos of quantity on Naija roads...but if u have someone in North America to send you parts when needed, u should be fine....I have people sending parts to Naija for every car actually....
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by luvinhubby(m): 5:33pm On Sep 08, 2012
Has a very problematic gear box.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by victorD3: 6:37pm On Sep 08, 2012
dasparrow:

Well said. One thing about american cars is that they consume alot of fuel. If I was looking for a car, I will go for a car that does not consume too much fuel, is easily maintainable, does not break down easily and whose spare parts are easily accessible and cheap.

You need a 504 cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by 19naia(m): 6:53pm On Sep 08, 2012
chevrolet has been coming up in world market with lots of cheap car sales in asia and europe as they make more fuel efficient and small cars now...they are with GM and so jeep also was among the auto industry in america that recieved huge amounts of money to keep itself in business and keep its cost under control...This may be why many american cars compete well in price with foriegn cars...Its true most Japanese cars have higher resale....USA may be the cheapest place to buy a good car in the world when you consider that they have many mandatory upgrades there like catalytic converter,and yet the same car in asia without the $3000+ catalytic converter,sells for the same price.....In USA many people always tell me to never get a JEEP,even when they already have one(they experience sorrow)They last long time but only under much maintaining cost...Many americans say to buy jeep and ford because it supports local economy....Asian and european cars in africa have been well supported for a long time...
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by sylve11: 8:56pm On Sep 08, 2012
vanstanzy:

check out Cherokee d'@ss on google and u'll see the reason for the mad rush for the grand cherokee.
grin grin grin grin cool
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by OKX(m): 10:58pm On Sep 08, 2012
@op.
Steer clear of dat car unless u have tons of cash n a substitute. They run ok (apart from high fuel consumption)but at d first sign of trouble, offload it on anoda sucker.there is hardly any support for it,parts r xpensive n not easily accessible unless ur in lagos or onitsha. There is only 1 spareparts dealer in all of aba, none in portharcourt. I know, I bought one for my wife 3 years ago n its parked more than its driven.

D first issue is usually d gear box, but if u must, go for d 6cylinder straight engine. Its older but less problematic dan d v8
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by xJaysonx(m): 12:11am On Sep 09, 2012
My dad got that car (Jeep Cherokee 2004) since 2009 and up till date, there avnt been any major fault. Continual service and good maintenance sustains any car. The car is a machine and its worth it. Go for it if your heart feels so. You won't regret it.
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by heman: 12:11am On Sep 09, 2012
I own a jeep grand cherokee and I enjoy its power and durability. If you ever get it, just make sure you change your oil every 3-4 months or 5k miles, whichever comes first. Interms of fuel economy, it is a bit average or a little below. Just make sure you add fuel injection cleaner every now and then just maximize your fuel efficiency. Mine gives me 14/16 on city and 19/20.8 on high way. As mine is v8, I spend a little extra on fuel but the power iss some thing you cannot beat. Again, you can save on your gas if you travel on highway by putting your drive on cruise control so that the computer system will better regulate your gas pedal which will exert less inconsistent pressure like the human foot. should you cruise control, don't set it beyond 65mph. The faster or slower you go means a lot on fuel differential. 2. You can also save on gas by winding up you all your window and turning up your A/C. It helps to save more gas as the suv becomes more aerodynamic and wouldn't have the wind entering through wond down windows to drag the vehicle. 3. make sure your tires are properly inflated to aid balance and optimum fuel saving , 33 is usually the best On the whole, if your are getting the 4x4, it is perfect for Nigerian road condition. I must add that my experience is borne out of US road conditions. You may have to consider things like availability of spare parts in Nigeria.The transmission system & engine are very reliable. Go for it if you have the will; otherwise, pipe low on gas with the toyotas.

3 Likes

Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by Nobody: 1:29am On Sep 10, 2012
Well said fellas
Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by ayoade2: 9:16am On Sep 10, 2012
I Have been using one for some years now and never had issues with it. I am planning to buy the recent models soon. For me, it seems it's the real 'jeep'. As for your wife, there some of the recently made jeep suvs that looks pretty much lady like. You can get that for your life. The V6 has a fantastic fuel economy for its size than the V8. Its just gaining acceptance in the Nigeria market of late so I guess the second hand value will improve. Also the part is not as expensive as people thought. A complete engine of 4x4 would cost 70-80k and the cpmplete brake pads is about 6k. I do my maintenace every 2 months cos i travel a lot and it about 5k. I have also a Honda car, so comparatively, I think jeep is ok for a suv.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 10, 2012
I love grand Cherokee for "comfort" (my first consideration in choosing a car).

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

NADDC Director-General, Jelani Aliyu Visits Innoson In Nnewi / Free VIN Check -On Hold / Cars Names And Their Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.