Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe (8214 Views)

Senate Presidency: APC May Conduct Primaries For Lawan, Saraki, Akume / IGP Receives $620,000 Subsidy Scam Video / 200 Lawmakers Sign Up For Lawan’s Suspension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Beaf: 2:32am On Jun 19, 2012
[size=14pt]Police contact banks in search for Lawan’s $620,000 bribe[/size]
By Yusuf Alli, Abuja 1 hour ago
Task Force retrieves video tape from SSS

SUSPENDED lawmaker Farouk Lawan yesterday appeared before the Police Special Task Force probing the bribe-for-clearance scandal.

The police are searching for the $620,000 bribe businessman Femi Otedola gave Lawan, chairman of the House Committee which probed the fuel subsidy scandal. Lawan has confessed that he collected the cash, saying it was to prove that Otedola bribed him.

The Zenon Oil chair says the lawmaker put pressure on him to part with the money, which security agents gave to him to facilitate a sting operation against Lawan.

Also yesterday, the police began a fresh analysis of the video tape of the bribery saga and launched a fresh search for the cash, which Lawan has refused to surrender.

The police retrieved the video tape from the State Security Service (SSS), which conducted the sting operation.

Besides, the police sent enquiries to banks on any trace of a “strange lodgment” of such amount in the last one and a half months.

But members of the Lawan Ad Hoc Committee are yet to get any police invitation on the bribe, contrary to some reports.

Investigations by our correspondent revealed that Lawan barely spent one hour with the police team, which asked him to report again tomorrow.

A police source said: “The Representative came to us without any response yet on how to facilitate contact with the Chairman of the House Committee on Narcotics, Drugs and Financial Crimes, Mr. Adam Jagaba.

“After a short interaction with Lawan, the lawmaker was asked to go and report on Wednesday for further briefing on the matter.”

Asked whether Lawan produced the cash, the police source said: “Not yet. We are expecting to hear from Jagaba.”

One of the counsel to Lawal, Mr. Israel Olorundare (SAN), said: “The lawmaker was with the police and he was asked to come back on Wednesday. He was just there briefly.”

The source, however, added that the police are looking beyond the intrigues over the whereabouts of the money.

“I can conveniently tell you that we have retrieved the video tape to get the details of what transpired between Otedola and Lawan. We are reviewing this tape to determine the extent of the involvement of others in the bribery.

“The review will enable us to re-invite Otedola and Lawan for interaction.

“So far, we are still exploring clues on how to get the bribe, including checking lodgements in and out of Lawan’s accounts and a few other suspected accomplices.

“It may task us a bit but we are hopeful that we will get the bribe sum. We have also been relating with banks in tracking down the money.

“We have isolated some banks for investigation. We hope they will cooperate with us.”

As at press time, there were strong indications that members of the Ad Hoc Committee were yet to be invited by the police.

A member of the committee, who spoke in confidence, said: “None of us has received any letter of invitation or summon from the Police.

“But since we have nothing to hide, we will honour the police, if they want us.”

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/50771-police-contact-banks-in-search-for-lawan%E2%80%99s-$620,000-bribe.html
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Novice1(m): 2:43am On Jun 19, 2012
Why are they particular about locating the cash?
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by onomeasike: 2:44am On Jun 19, 2012
Peter TOSH OF BLESSED MEMORY said that darkness can only overshadow light for a shortwhile but in the end we shall see the light.All these your shenanigans will go into our nations annal as the low ebb of the GEJ era,we shall tell our children and children`s children that there once was one president who was bad and had bad advisers.You(Reno omokri,Farouk lawan et al are the pharaohs we see now,tomorrow,we shall see you no more.Today alone,we got a demonstration of patriotic zeal on the parts of Falana who single hadedly instituted a request for an inquest into the DANA air mishap,I will talk about that show of patriotism today aand tomorrow but you,you are the darkness PETER TOSH talks about!

3 Likes

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Beaf: 3:19am On Jun 19, 2012
Novice1: Why are they particular about locating the cash?

They want to trace whose accounts it has gone into. Any such person would be implicated, so far as they had any influence over the subsidy probe (thats why the money was marked).
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by onomeasike: 3:22am On Jun 19, 2012
@ Reno omokri aka beaf,it gives you greater joy to use your talent to deny jonathan of a fair assessment by posterity.I will not join you in any uncouth debate,I will appeal to you to use your closeness to Jonathan as the presidential adviser on social media to provide good leadership.We careless about the facrooks et al,the state of urgency demands we focus on jonathan we elected as president,we believe if your principal jonathan provides exemplary leadership and make a scapegoat of all these crooks,Nigerians will be better for it!
Tell him to resolve the 150 billion naira malabo oil deal,pension scam,oil subsidy scam,capital market et al.Tell him to provide us with employment,security etc.Save your energy for giving the president good advice,all these pettiness will lead you nowhere!

(

4 Likes

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Kobojunkie: 4:08am On Jun 19, 2012
Now I am beginning to doubt there was a 'sting' to begin with.

Why in the world would the Police use MARKED DOLLAR NOTES for a sting, and somehow forget to make sure they can easily TRACE THE NOTES? It has been about 2 months since the 'sting', yet the best our cops have to do is SEARCH BANKS for the missing notes? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by fstranger6: 4:33am On Jun 19, 2012
Kobojunkie: Now I am beginning to doubt there was a 'sting' to begin with.

What will you not doubt? I am sure you sometimes doubt your own humanity, no?

Why in the world would the Police use MARKED DOLLAR NOTES for a sting, and somehow forget to make sure they can easily TRACE THE NOTES?

What is marked is the serial number of the money. It is not as if there is some chip embedded to make it electronically traceable or some chemical sprayed on it that makes it glow automatically. There are no GPS involved here.

It has been about 2 months since the 'sting', yet the best our cops have to do is SEARCH BANKS for the missing notes? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided undecided undecided

WHere else do you want them to search? under his pillow? Not everyone has a wide a/s/s to stuff money into like your awesome self. All they can do is search banks, after all, he must have deposited the money somewhere and the money mixed up with some other money in the bank for only god knows where destination. Chillax okay . . . why are you so in a hurry? Them taking their time to do a thorough job doesnt affect your SSI or unemployment one bit. Let them do their job while you continue to post trash on NL like you always do. if you could do better, you wouldnt be here on NL with your senseless posts, you'd actually be somewhere doing some real work.

6 Likes

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Murphy7h4: 6:47am On Jun 19, 2012
I very much agree with your point of view
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Clerverly: 7:49am On Jun 19, 2012
[quote author=Kobojunkie]Now I am beginning to doubt there was a 'sting' to begin with.

Why in the world would the Police use MARKED DOLLAR NOTES for a sting, and somehow forget to make sure they can easily TRACE THE NOTES? It has been about 2 months since the 'sting', yet the best our cops have to do is SEARCH BANKS for the missing notes? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided undecided undecided[/
quote]
I said it on the other tread and you doubted it. I know Nigerian polticians inside out. grin
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Demdem(m): 9:00am On Jun 19, 2012
i wonder why farouk wasnt arrested immediately when he collected the money and leaving otedola's abode since we were made to understand its a string operation.
here is what i feel will subsequently happen:
The police will continue to search for the money till kingdom come, since their is no evidence, farouk wont even see any court process let alone jail, he will be recalled back to the house and continue his job. In between, the executives will be happy deceiving themselves that that the report has lost its legitimacy and Farouk will be well compensated by the killer party for facilitating this with the governorship slot of Kano state in the next election.
In summary, till i see Farouk in jail, i see no useless string operation but a collaboration between members of the same killer party all in an effort to rubbish the Subsidy report.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by deshclones(m): 9:18am On Jun 19, 2012
fstranger6:

What will you not doubt? I am sure you sometimes doubt your own humanity, no?

What is marked is the serial number of the money. It is not as if there is some chip embedded to make it electronically traceable or some chemical sprayed on it that makes it glow automatically. There are no GPS involved here.

WHere else do you want them to search? under his pillow? Not everyone has a wide a/s/s to stuff money into like your awesome self. All they can do is search banks, after all, he must have deposited the money somewhere and the money mixed up with some other money in the bank for only god knows where destination. Chillax okay . . . why are you so in a hurry? Them taking their time to do a thorough job doesnt affect your SSI or unemployment one bit. Let them do their job while you continue to post trash on NL like you always do. if you could do better, you wouldnt be here on NL with your senseless posts, you'd actually be somewhere doing some real work.

classsssic man..................... grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by obelisk(m): 9:19am On Jun 19, 2012
fuqin retards!!!!
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by malc619(m): 9:19am On Jun 19, 2012
Once upon a "dollar"....
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by meetndee(m): 9:20am On Jun 19, 2012

Why in the world would the Police use MARKED DOLLAR NOTES for a sting, and somehow forget to make sure they can easily TRACE THE NOTES? It has been about 2 months since the 'sting', yet the best our cops have to do is SEARCH BANKS for the missing notes? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided undecided undecided
on point.and this sss guys are blockheads.y should the bar stil be wit him 4 2months witout tracking its movement.this is were our data/information system in d country is not working.i am tired of dis country.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by AtheistD(m): 9:22am On Jun 19, 2012
Demdem: i wonder why farouk wasnt arrested immediately when he collected the money and leaving otedola's abode since we were made to understand its a string operation.
here is what i feel will subsequently happen:
The police will continue to search for the money till kingdom come, since their is no evidence, farouk wont even see any court process let alone jail, he will be recalled back to the house and continue his job. In between, the executives will be happy deceiving themselves that that the report has lost its legitimacy and Farouk will be well compensated by the killer party for facilitating this with the governorship slot of Kano state in the next election.
In summary, till i see Farouk in jail, i see no useless string operation but a collaboration between members of the same killer party all in an effort to rubbish the Subsidy report.

Simple solution: scrap the reoort, do a new one with a new committee. Also set up a committee to investigate the bribery in the previous report.

1 Like

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by tebill(m): 9:38am On Jun 19, 2012
Police search for what.... if na criminals now..dem go torture extract info..abeg ask the mallam to confess or else......mak dem no dull us with stories

2 Likes

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Demdem(m): 9:38am On Jun 19, 2012
Atheist:-D:

Simple solution: scrap the reoort, do a new one with a new committee. Also set up a committee to investigate the bribery in the previous report.

if at all anything is wrong with that report that needs to be looked into, its the list of all indicted companies given. Efforts should be made all together in making sure that we determine the real companies and individuals etc that are indeed culpable not the whole report. The report is all encompassing and goes beyond indicted people. for example, it says

13. With regards to the 445,000 bpd allocation to NNPC , the Committee believes that with the current refining capacity of 53% and the SWAP/Offshore processing arrangement of the balance of 47%, it is sufficient to provide the nation with the following products:
a. 40 Million Litres Per Day (MLPD) of PMS,
b. 10 MLPD of Kerosene (HHK)
c. 8.97 MLPD of Diesel (AGO) ,
d. 0.62 MLPD of LPG and
e. 2.31 MLPD of FO
It is only AGO whose average daily consumption of 12 million Litres per day will not be achieved in full. Since AGO has been deregulated, other marketers can make up for the 3.03 MLPD AGO shortfalls. The implication of this finding is that if NNPC properly manages the allocation of 445 bpd efficiently, the availability of the products can be achieved by the NNPC alone. This contrasts the situation where in 2009-2011 NNPC got the daily allocation of 445,000bpd and the nation still had to import through Marketers.
Curiously, although NNPC confirmed that it makes some savings of about =N= 11.00 per litre refining locally than import, it could not be established that the Corporation reflects this cost differential in its claims to subsidy.

Why on earth are we still importing and paying subsidy heavily? or are these also lies?

what about this?

2. We found out that the subsidy regime, as operated between the period under review (2009 and 2011), were fraught with endemic corruption and entrenched inefficiency. Much of the amount claimed to have been paid as subsidy was actually not for consumed PMS. Government officials made nonsense of the PSF Guidelines due mainly to sleaze and, in some other cases, incompetence. It is therefore apparent that the insistence by top Government officials that the subsidy figures was for products consumed was a clear attempt to mislead the Nigerian people.

why are these liars still on their seat and not shown the door to jail?

and this

4. On its part, NNPC was found not to be accountable to any body or authority. The Corporation, in 2011, processed payment of N310.4 Billion as 2009 – 2011 arrears of subsidy on Kerosene, contrary to a Presidential Directive which removed subsidy on Kerosene in 2009. The Corporation also processed for itself, direct deduction of subsidy payment from amounts it received from other operations such as joint venture before paying the balance to the Federation Account, thereby depleting the shares of States and Local Governments from the distributable pool. Worse still, the direct deduction in 2011 alone, which amounted to N847.942 Billion, was effected without any provision in the Appropriation Act.

i can go on and on but am particular interested in the NNPC fraud. It corraborated the more what the KPMG told us about this institution. this KPMG report till date still hasnt been critically looked at.
Agreed, some part of the house subsidy report needs to be loked at but many of it remain sacrosant.
Have u wondered why the senate which started looking into the subsidy regime since october last year long before the house has till date not submitted anything?
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Revealedtv(m): 9:43am On Jun 19, 2012
The fact that this honourable man has to report to the police everyday is quite a shame...Even if u get off this case facrook, remember that a good name is better than riches...your children's children will be remembered as the great sons of facrook

1 Like

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Joey82(m): 9:47am On Jun 19, 2012

abegi, there wasnt any sting jare,
otedola in the first place did not invite police/sss during the videoing (that's if there's any)
he (otedola) was however smart enof to have a record in case things go the wrong way.
once he felt he couldnt pay the 3m dollars farouk was asking, he decided to invite the sss and provided evidence.
if it were a sting, farouk would have been arrested befor leaving the scene of bribe collection.
if it were a sting, the sss wont wait until otedola blows the whistle befroe swinging in to action,
and for the records, there were no marked dollars, if there were, the sss definitely didnt mark it, if they did, they wouldnt be tracing where the dollars have gone to.
btw, at some point i thought farouk said the dollars were with the leadereship of the national assembly.

3 Likes

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Demdem(m): 9:51am On Jun 19, 2012
Joey82:

abegi, there wasnt any sting jare,
otedola in the first place did not invite police/sss during the videoing (that's if there's any)
he (otedola) was however smart enof to have a record in case things go the wrong way.
once he felt he couldnt pay the 3m dollars farouk was asking, he decided to invite the sss and provided evidence.
if it were a sting, farouk would have been arrested befor leaving the scene of bribe collection.
if it were a sting, the sss wont wait until otedola blows the whistle befroe swinging in to action,

and for the records, there were no marked dollars, if there were, the sss definitely didnt mark it, if they did, they wouldnt be tracing where the dollars have gone to.
btw, at some point i thought farouk said the dollars were with the leadereship of the national assembly.

definately makes a lot of sense or is it that the whole of the SSS is so dumb like the retardeen himself undecided

1 Like

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by qwest(m): 9:51am On Jun 19, 2012
this guys seem to be in a hurry to get the cash and its serial numbers so as to buttress their case.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Silva79(f): 9:54am On Jun 19, 2012
As far as i'm concerned,i dont think the money otedola gave lawan was MARKED!!! And i also dont think d SSS knew bout dis sting operation shit! HOW COME D SSS HAVENT SAID ANYTHING BOUT THE SCANDAL? Who in the sss gave otedola marked 600,000 dollars

1 Like

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Chanchit: 9:57am On Jun 19, 2012
My God....! What happened to electric shock and pepper spray..? Why waste money doing foolish investigation on banks, when the person with the money is still alive..? This news is annoying..

3 Likes

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by ebamma(m): 10:11am On Jun 19, 2012
who dem wan deceive,abi as them probe lawan,him no tell dem the bank were him been put the money?.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by nduchucks: 10:13am On Jun 19, 2012
I'm afraid that without the physical evidence, the cash, Farouk cannot be convicted of anything. If I were Farouk, I will sit on the money until the sky turns blue. All the mofos are rougues, from the police, sss, efcc, nass, judges, to the executive wing of government.

Its time for the masses or some other force to chase these people out of Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by kay9(m): 10:21am On Jun 19, 2012
malc619: Once upon a "dollar"....
Clint Eastwood could teach them a thing or two... A Fist-full of Dollars.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by kay9(m): 10:21am On Jun 19, 2012

I tire o
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 10:23am On Jun 19, 2012
Novice1: Why are they particular about locating the cash?

Why did the chicken cross the road?
*Ofcourse to get to d other side.
Now to ur question.
* To have some for themselves ofcourse.
smiley
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:25am On Jun 19, 2012
I just want the authorities to make the tapes public.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Ibangap(m): 10:30am On Jun 19, 2012
stewpid nd witles police officials, beggin d banks 2 coperate, wen u can easily hold Lawan 2 confess were d money is. Foul play of d highest order.
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by Afolabs101: 10:38am On Jun 19, 2012
Like others before me have said, if it was a sting operation and the dollars were marked or their serial number noted, he should have been arrested immediately he left Otedollar's residence. The whole idea of marking/recording the serial numbers is to catch the criminal with the said notes. If you leave him to disappear and you don't find the marked dollars, you have no proof that he left Otedollar's residence with it.

You have proof that he took dollars and put them in his pocket, but he could turn around and say that he gave it back before he left the residence, or that he dropped it at the gate house. Sounds ridiculous, but how can you prove he left the house with it.

On the part of the SSS, they have not made any public statement regarding the "sting operation" and have not made any effort to arrest the target of the operation, even after he took the bait. Surely the whole point of a sting operation, one where you end up losing N96 million of public funds, is to arrest and prosecute a criminal!

Mr. Ita Ekpeyong, you basically gave N96 million of public funds to a lawmaker. Can we have it back please?
Re: Police Contact Banks In Search For Lawan’s $620,000 Bribe by IleIfe2(m): 10:46am On Jun 19, 2012
Silva79: As far as i'm concerned,i dont think the money otedola gave lawan was MARKED!!! And i also dont think d SSS knew bout dis sting operation shit! HOW COME D SSS HAVENT SAID ANYTHING BOUT THE SCANDAL? Who in the sss gave otedola marked 600,000 dollars

I doubt there is a country where the secret service SSS holds a press conference to update the public on an ongoing case. The only logical reason they must have allowed Farouk leave with the money, will be to investigate how widespread the problem is. The marked money should at least lead them to other individuals involved plus $10,000 is said to have been found in his house

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vindictive Buhari Replaces Marilyn Ogar With Another Fulani / Igbos Should Stop The Blackmail, Yorubas Have A Right To Vote Any Candidate. / 'don't Drag Us Into Your Smear Campaign Against Judiciary' -presidency Warns PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.