Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout (9764 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: Low Turnout Mars Schools Resumption In Lagos State / Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. / The Positive Turnout Of UNN Protest(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 19, 2012
zordx: as written by afan4eva the educational standard of the school does not justify the increase,why should i be struggling to enter a state owned university when i can enter a private one with similar tuition fees e.g. Covenant University. The should have improved on the quality of education before subjecting students and also parents to this type of situation.

You Can say that again.... grin

afam4eva:
By brother, God bless you. The way people scamper to get admission beats my imagination. It's not as if when they come out, they'll become automatic millionaires. Everyone mustn't attend a university.
Little wonder the state of illiteracy in this country is alarming.. If you don't know, you guyz are disgracing and embarrassing your country....
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by Afam4eva(m): 2:51pm On Jun 19, 2012
Ijogz K:

You Can say that again.... grin

Little wonder the state of illiteracy in this country is alarming.. If you don't know, you guyz are disgracing and embarrassing your country....
Explain yourself pls...
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:58pm On Jun 19, 2012
I gt beef 4 d high tuition fee of some private schs (especially d 1s founded by churches). Ds unis r supposed 2 b d cheapest.God ll judge!
2ndly, I dnt knw y state univ. (xpecially in western 9ja) r punishin dr indigenes & non-indigenes wt high fee. Afterall most of dm r 2nd class 2 most federal schs.
3rdly, y must LASU's fee b as high btw 190k-350k. Ds is nt d promise of our Govt. Dr agenda s 4 d rich alone. A poor or average parent cant afford 190k nt 2 talk of 350k sch fee. & ds 9ja leadrs don 4get dt ova 70% of hr pple poor. D govt no dy consider d salary structure of most civil servants & earnings of small scale enterpreneurs, traders, farmers, artisans etc. Ds pple constitute d largest % of 9ja labour force. Dr earnings r jst average, belowaverage or little.Can dy afford 190k tuition fees nt 2 mention 350k. Abi dy wnt everybody 2 b corrupt & b fapping national cake anytym dy v d chance inoda 2 maintain? Or dy jst wan increase sch fee 2 depopulate pple wey wan go sch?
Lastly, I dnt trust any political party n 9ja. D 1 callin 4 gud governance in 2007 is nw hurting hr pple wt high sch fee, high health services, etc in 2012. I fear d worse aftr 2015 if dy come bak in power. Bt ofcos, d old enemy party s still as bad as hell. Bt d truth of d mata s; We need pple who fear God n Govt

1 Like

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by ifeware: 3:04pm On Jun 19, 2012
suqexconcepts: i actually need contact of a current student who can supply me all I need to do as a Direct entry applicant. can u help?
sorry i can't provide u with the info.u need am an alumni of that great institution. Graduated a long time ago. Cheers
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by Pakavy(m): 3:06pm On Jun 19, 2012
Damseluc: What's so special about that school that the tuition fees is so high, Even the best school in Nigeria is not as expensive as that. So the poor or middle class can't go to school anylonger? I have seen people who graduated from expensive schools but cannot even defend their certificates or even express themselves well.
i wonder!
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by sammhi(m): 3:50pm On Jun 19, 2012
Fasola is the worst governor to ever rule lagos state. he hates the people of lagos and see them as those to expolit for his thirst for money.
I cant just see what he does with all these money. yet no social program(s)whatsover
just to mention a few of his inhuman actions:
1 increase LASU school fees with about 1000% .
2.indiscriminate tax increase without justification
3. Exepnditure does not match the service on ground (please note that the budget for lagos this year is 480b.This means 40b per month. what does he do with all that money every month ?.
4.Took over market and other places only to charge exorbitant fees for same shops
5.Added one lane to a six kilometer Lekki road and then mount two tolls gates on the road(Jakande built this raod without charging a dime.
6.Terminated 788 doctors appointment for going on a 3 days warning strike .--- most ridiculous)
7.Demolition of peoples houses without a court order and takes over the land without resettling the former occupant
8.Carrying out a systematic approach to chase out non lagosians (ibos, yorubas from other state ,hausas etc) out of lagos with his bias handling of cases
9. Deportation of so called beggars to their state witin same country..yet this man is a lawyer
10. Paying a minimum wage 14,000 far below approved wage rate of 18,000 yet deducts high tax from same peolple
11.Selective handling of lagos raods, priority givem to Surulere/Yaba axis to the detriment of other areas. No good road in ikeja/Alimosho /Ajegunle etc Imagine that Opebi road and allen are beggig for just aa resurfacing. passing Opebi/toyin during rain is hell . same for most part of Alimosho

please Tinubu, next time give us a kind hearted man who feels the pains of the people and is considerate not this heartless fashola
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by DonCmos: 4:10pm On Jun 19, 2012
Damseluc: What's so special about that school that the tuition fees is so high, Even the best school in Nigeria is not as expensive as that. So the poor or middle class can't go to school anylonger? I have seen people who graduated from expensive schools but cannot even defend their certificates or even express themselves well.

Abeg go and ask Fashola that sensible question. The revenue generator some times we go out of the way when we are reasoning. Why that outrageous fee? How I wish there will be no candidate @ all. Then they will know how it's going but hence they see it as a right decission, since candidates are being admitted.
All go seek international education n forget this naija make una just ja!!
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mikolo80: 4:17pm On Jun 19, 2012
afam4eva:
By brother, God bless you. The way people scamper to get admission beats my imagination. It's not as if when they come out, they'll become automatic millionaires. Everyone mustn't attend a university.
ABI O.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mikolo80: 4:18pm On Jun 19, 2012
afam4eva:
ABI O. 300K IN FISH FARMING WILL BE WORTH LIKE 12MILLION IN FOUR YEARS OF COMPOUNDED INTEREST
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mikolo80: 4:19pm On Jun 19, 2012
afam4eva:
ABI O. 300K IN FISH FARMING WILL BE WORTH LIKE 12MILLION IN FOUR YEARS OF COMPOUNDED INTEREST.DEGREE CERTIFICATE OVERRATED.MAKE MORE SENSE TO DO 4 MONTH PRACTICAL SKILL ACQUISITION THAN LOOKIN FOR NON EXISTENT WHITE COLLAR
JOB
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by DonCmos: 4:20pm On Jun 19, 2012
sammhi: Fasola is the worst governor to ever rule lagos state. he hates the people of lagos and see them as those to expolit for his thirst for money.
I cant just see what he does with all these money. yet no social program(s)whatsover
just to mention a few of his inhuman actions:
1 increase LASU school fees with about 1000% .
2.indiscriminate tax increase without justification
3. Exepnditure does not match the service on ground (please note that the budget for lagos this year is 480b.This means 40b per month. what does he do with all that money every month ?.
4.Took over market and other places only to charge exorbitant fees for same shops
5.Added one lane to a six kilometer Lekki road and then mount two tolls gates on the road(Jakande built this raod without charging a dime.
6.Terminated 788 doctors appointment for going on a 3 days warning strike .--- most ridiculous)
7.Demolition of peoples houses without a court order and takes over the land without resettling the former occupant
8.Carrying out a systematic approach to chase out non lagosians (ibos, yorubas from other state ,hausas etc) out of lagos with his bias handling of cases
9. Deportation of so called beggars to their state witin same country..yet this man is a lawyer
10. Paying a minimum wage 14,000 far below approved wage rate of 18,000 yet deducts high tax from same peolple
11.Selective handling of lagos raods, priority givem to Surulere/Yaba axis to the detriment of other areas. No good road in ikeja/Alimosho /Ajegunle etc Imagine that Opebi road and allen are beggig for just aa resurfacing. passing Opebi/toyin during rain is hell . same for most part of Alimosho

please Tinubu, next time give us a kind hearted man who feels the pains of the people and is considerate not this heartless fashola
May Yahweh bless you for this... hat manis something else.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by georgesylva(m): 5:36pm On Jun 19, 2012
idiots go abroad, Ghana should do.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by georgesylva(m): 5:40pm On Jun 19, 2012
Don Cmos:
May Yahweh bless you for this... hat manis something else.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by GboyegaD(m): 6:33pm On Jun 19, 2012
mapet: O boy relax with your sensational postings and outright falsehood...... Haba! You know what? I take it that you've not been to Lagos talkeless knowing LASU........

The reasons adduced by the government for the fees is that Lagos State government is pushing LASU to become semi-autonomous and self sustaining. If Private Schools can be funded with fees paid by students, then may be government sees this as a long lasting way of running it.

Recall that when this was announced by the Lagos state government, debated on the floor of the House of Reps and even students protested.

Meanwhile all you guys hailing private schools.......I simply see them as get-away for low-scoring and "Jamb" failed students......

And what would be the difference between the private schools and LASU? Who told you LASU would not have to scout for the low scoring JAMB failed students like you called them in order to meet up the monies needed to run the school in the long run?
The standard of education in LASU does not warrant such increase. We have witnessed increase in tuition fees over the years and the best it has ever yielded was bringing in more financial institutions who sees it as an opportunity to get cheap deposits into the school and the standards even fell.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by manny4life(m): 7:37pm On Jun 19, 2012
mapet: O boy relax with your sensational postings and outright falsehood...... Haba! You know what? I take it that you've not been to Lagos talkeless knowing LASU........

The reasons adduced by the government for the fees is that Lagos State government is pushing LASU to become semi-autonomous and self sustaining. If Private Schools can be funded with fees paid by students, then may be government sees this as a long lasting way of running it.

Recall that when this was announced by the Lagos state government, debated on the floor of the House of Reps and even students protested.

Meanwhile all you guys hailing private schools.......I simply see them as get-away for low-scoring and "Jamb" failed students......

Self sustaining? Then they should change the name from Lagos State University to another name because State Universities receive some of their funding from the State. I don't know how many self sustaining state universities that you know.

Private Universities are what they are; why people pay more to have environment that state universities do not have. You see them as a getaway for low scoring students, because in you induced mind, you believe all students who go private are all "FAILED STUDENTS", while you're there looking down on them, they are being challenged to the best with the best resources available; something you don't have in state universities. When they're done, they have the better jobs than you, CONTINUE CONSOLING YOURSELF THAT THEY'RE FAILED STUDENTS embarassed embarassed embarassed undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by profb: 10:33pm On Jun 19, 2012
Chanchit: Phuck lasu...! Nxt yr they would get 1000 students for their p.ume, no body go teach them before they announce the new tuition fee.... Mtcheeew... Even those that graduated from that God forsaken school are yet to recieve their certificate... Increasing tuition fee, while rendering bad service...

) i graduated frm the school in 2007. biochemistry. i collected my certificate 2nd day after the convocation. the new fee does not worth it .nothing has changed from the facilities i used 4 years ago, so why the increase.. the school senate better reverse the fee now else.....
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by Olalekan0(m): 11:38pm On Jun 19, 2012
afam4eva:
Explain yourself pls...
Don't bother asking this IDIOT K(Ijogz K) of a guy any question. His niche is in the romance secton as he is not intelligent enough to contribute to any serious topic here on nairaland, He's delluded and suffereing from profound mental disability!Of the scores of Covenant grads i know,he's the dumbest
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by monami2abd: 12:57am On Jun 20, 2012
For all you guys running your mouths that lasu is not a good school.... Open the link and read.... Ignorance is indeed a disease........www.4icu.org/ng/
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by luvola(m): 2:03am On Jun 20, 2012
@ mona- dnt mind all their retardeen post including the moderator. We posted a thread last week about lasu convocation where( we expect the retardeen modarator to pv it m d front page) the sch turns out 41 first in three years,2853 2nd class upper out of over 28,000graduates. I finished last year dec and and our certificates are ready for collection. It is only bad news that normally tarnish d image of that do appear on the front. Smh for d retardeens post thrash about lasu
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by Vicony4real(m): 6:43am On Jun 20, 2012
385,000?? !!!!!!
No comment.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 20, 2012
O ga ooooo.here in lautech,i pay 40k per yr equalling to 200k for 5yrs and yes,lautech students are good.Thanks to our Rashidi Ladoja(Accord Party)and our present governor(ACN)..
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 20, 2012
luvola: @ mona- dnt mind all their retardeen post including the moderator. We posted a thread last week about lasu convocation where( we expect the retardeen modarator to pv it m d front page) the sch turns out 41 first in three years,2853 2nd class upper out of over 28,000graduates. I finished last year dec and and our certificates are ready for collection. It is only bad news that normally tarnish d image of that do appear on the front. Smh for d retardeens post thrash about lasu

the argument is that 385k as school fees is too much at lasu. How many families of the aspiring students can afford it?
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by tobezekiel(f): 3:37pm On Jun 20, 2012
why do pple have this belive that, private uni applicant ars JAMB FAILED STUDENTS?? well u cant generalize just because we have some dilapitated private uni dosn't mean all are thesame. Take covenant university for example, the cut-off mark for this year is 215 and pple dat dint get upto that were not allowed to take the post ume exam. it happend to me last year, i scored above 200(205 or so..)and wasnt given the admission becos the score was low 4 accounting or business admin(220) which i applied for. and that same year we sent some1 to get NOVENA UNI form in delta state could u belive the person came back with my addmisn letter! asin they dint see my face, no exam nothing nothing. whn i told a frnd of mine, she quickly bot the form and shes nw in reading accounting an her jamb score was 162 o.. Whn my dad saw d addmisn leta, he was like there s no way ur going to that sch.dats also a private uni. so nt all are bad.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mapet: 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2012
Ok!Ok!Ok!

Apologies for being off this page longer than I should be. I guess I have lots to respond to and I'm sorry I've been in the "bush" and I don't enjoy doing forums on my BB.....

1. Well Pardon my sentiments and I can understand some of our sentiments as well. I'll try as much as possible to justify my assumptions and submissions.

2. Sentiments - I finished from my first degree LASU in 1999. So I guess I'll naturally defend my alma-mata. For most of you guys talking stuffs you don't know about LASU and products, I simply laff.

3. But let's get back to focus. I believe this piece is not primarily about if LASU is a bad school or good school, or if it's better than private university or not, but about the seeming exhorbitant school fees. It's so funny.... my Final year school fees was 90Naira, and I'm sure anybody that passed out with or before my set will bear witness. So you wonder why I'll defend LSG on the move.

4. Now I am a very realistic person. Lets begin to look at things from practical perspectives. Why has Ghana, that was a back-water country educational-wise in the 80s overtaken Nigeria with only 4 universities. Why did we have a sudden high-rate of "export" of Nigerian students to Ghanian Universities, even almost at the cost of an average University in UK? I guess my answer will be as good as some of yours......Now we need to choose what we want as a people. Ever wondered why the CBN governor said Nigerian graduates are unemployable?

5. For me until we start placing quality above a lot of things, then we are probably like the fool that does the same thing same way and expect the same result. Do we want our junior ones to go to any of these schools only to be complaining about lack of facilities? Are we going to be ok with lecturers going on incessant strikes for want of tool to carry out research? are we ok with schools that cannot even give anything to the private sectors? I wonder if the professorial chairs of oil companies are still held in our universities.

6. My first question is; do you know what it takes to run a university? Do you think it's sustainable to have low/next to nothing paying university and still have good standards? Have you considered from what source lecturers' and professors will be remunarated decent, good and quality wages? rent from government? you and I know that will never come. Someone talked about budget and I laugh. Have you ever thought to yourself that budgets are based mostly on projected revenue streams. The logic is that let sectors and parastatals begin to be run as profitable ventures are they go dead.

7. I appreciate the talk about the children of the poor. My tots are these. I agree to some extent with some posters that said it is not compulsory for everybody to get a university education, and not a prerequisite to be successful. In other climes, there are exit points in education that caters for the needs of people of various backgrounds - Polytechnics, Specialize skill Acqusition schools etc. For me the children of the poor deserves quality education and not just some hogwash. At the end of the day, in a capitalist world we all work very hard to make our aspirations a reality. The children from diverse background still get to university if they so aspire; scholarships, part-time programs, loans, state subventions etc.

8. So back to this fees. The reality are these; The governing council of LASU in their own resolve has deemed it so that they can no longer be reliant of rent to sustain LASU. Curcify them for that, it still doesn't change the fact that they've decided a new strategy to pursue the running of the institution. IF other states are lowering the fee, no problem - you and I know that these are political gimmick that are not sustainable.

3 Likes

Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mapet: 4:09pm On Jun 20, 2012
basadenet: @mapet. It is rather unfortunate that somebody like you can think in the way the present Government.Is LASU better than other state university? No... Did Fashola not benefited from the Free Education of lagos State Government? Yes... What moral justification does he have to unilaterally increase the school fee without recourse the plight of the Masses? Out of state universities in the country Lagos fee triple that of other states. It will be advisable for the Governor to tow the part of honor than that of dishonor which is presently staring him in the face. And he should realized that very soon he will leave the seat of Government, so what will become of him?

1. Is LASU better than other state university? Hell YESSSSSSS grin grin grin
2. Did Fashola not benefit from Free Education? Well i don't know, but is free education still sustainable in an ever increasing year on year entry rate like LASU on lean facilities?
3. Let's not get overtly sentimental here, there is nothing dishonourable Fashola has done here. Lagos state should have standard University.
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mapet: 4:10pm On Jun 20, 2012
My Bros, Edo state is not Lagos state......
Clemzy16: Edo state government has reduced the tuiton fees of Ambrose Ali university, Ekpoma. to about 70k. And even, the major opposing party **P has promised to reduced it more if voted into power in the next election. And now, Lagos state government are increasing their.. Hmm.. Na wa o!
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mapet: 4:15pm On Jun 20, 2012
You are correct, I was just being "corky" there. Truth inpart is that the coming of some of these private Universities has taught us how to run Universities as profitable ventures and government are learning a thing or two in improving the state owned universities....
f.babs:
i beg to disagree.nt all private uni students failed jamb. Some are there due to d shortcomings of public unis
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mapet: 4:16pm On Jun 20, 2012
My brother, please do an elaboration of how much of that budget is allocated to LASU and how much is need to run a profitable, standard and qualitative LASU

Ibanga p:
And d money allocated 2 d state frm the educational budget will be used 4 wat?
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mapet: 4:22pm On Jun 20, 2012
Thank you my bros..... but let me differ a bit somewhere here

1. The enrolment rate and the fees are 2 disparate things. Besides, cutting down enrolment may economically translate into increase the fees further to break even.
2. Honestly it is not a must that anybody must attend LASU, after all there is IMSU, DELSU, ABSU, KATSU, Tai Solarin, OSU, Ekiti State Univeristy, Edo State University...... or just go be ab artisan or learn a trade.....
asudan: Although d fees r high,d no of graduate are more n no guarantee or possibility that they will have job.I think what LASG would have done is to design strict policy to cumb d population applying instead of increasing fees.[U]On the other hand,it is not a must that you attend LASU afterall they are other schools that are less expensive-UNIBEN,UNILAG E.T.C[/u].
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by mapet: 4:23pm On Jun 20, 2012
Phuck education then....
Chanchit: Phuck lasu...! Nxt yr they would get 1000 students for their p.ume, no body go teach them before they announce the new tuition fee.... Mtcheeew... Even those that graduated from that God forsaken school are yet to recieve their certificate... Increasing tuition fee, while rendering bad service...
Re: LASU Post-UTME: ₦190K To ₦384k Tuition Causes Low Turnout by Bomi(m): 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2012
It is unfortunate that a politician in the right sense can introduce such fee in LASU of all University! For school that was created for a common under free education by a politician who is still alive and emulated by all.

The most intrigue problem is that those who work and sacrifice their time for LASU to be in existence to keep quite at this time of LASU! Someone like Professor Leigh, and co to keep mute when Abacha incarnate called Fashola powered by Tinubu allow the school be run aground under the slogan of Eko o ni baje!

For eight years of Tinubu reign in Lagos, LASU did not witness any meaningful investment, rather it was money throw out of his majesty's moving vehicle to irate students and thugs in the campus like one throwing lamb unto lion in his cage.

The only sensible reason given so far is that Lagos State government wanted to build World class university in LASU! Listen to lame excuse from Draconian regime of Fashola who has no respect for rule of law and does not respect existence of constituted authority. As governor and ordinary visitor to the university he has effrontery to announce embargo on honorary degree where you have a senate at the helms of affairs that comprises of Professor and Doctor of various degree and experience!

Someone should announce to Fashola, his god father and his cohorts that "Eko o ni baje' and his part in history of Lagos is well documented. He will need to retrace his step before is late by;
1. Apologise to Jk Randle; who he abuse and alleged wrongly and have respect for the elders
2. Apologise to all the people and lagosian that lost their relative during Doctors' strike and the Doctors
3. To all the students and prospective students that his action has cause untold hardship.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Engineering Students Really More Intelligent Than Medical Students? (picx) / UNIABUJA Cut-off Mark 2019/2020 for Admission [All Courses] / Who Knows The Date For The 2007 Jamb Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.