Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,287 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? (28625 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Buy Used Car Rather Than Buying A New Car? / Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? / Why Do Nigerians Form Extra Lanes During Slow Traffic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by Eokolo: 2:25am On Sep 26, 2013
I guess I know why Nigerians don't like Nissan cars. I bought a Nissan murano and shipped it to nigeria. It probably got there in 2010 or so. No sure of dates but in august 2013. The transmission failed. This is a car that has been know to have transmission problems and this is why they have an extended CVT transmission to 120,000 miles because they know there was a fault in the design of the transmission . Now my vehicle is only about 30,000 miles . I called Nissan and they told me because the car is not in the USA, the warranty is void. But I keep wondering, why is the warranty void. At least you can say, maybe because in Africa the roads are worse, maybe the warranty mileage is less. I think if these companies don't want to give waranties to cars they sell to Africa then they have to stop doing business with us at all. I think it's time African governments stand up to these companies and say if you are not going to warranty cars that you sell to us or are in our countries like other countries , then that's fine , we ll ban your cars from being shipped into our countries. There's a lot of double standard.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by USAutoBuy(m): 1:01pm On Sep 26, 2013
Eokolo: I guess I know why Nigerians don't like Nissan cars. I bought a Nissan murano and shipped it to nigeria. It probably got there in 2010 or so. No sure of dates but in august 2013. The transmission failed. This is a car that has been know to have transmission problems and this is why they have an extended CVT transmission to 120,000 miles because they know there was a fault in the design of the transmission . Now my vehicle is only about 30,000 miles . I called Nissan and they told me because the car is not in the USA, the warranty is void. But I keep wondering, why is the warranty void. At least you can say, maybe because in Africa the roads are worse, maybe the warranty mileage is less. I think if these companies don't want to give waranties to cars they sell to Africa then they have to stop doing business with us at all. I think it's time African governments stand up to these companies and say if you are not going to warranty cars that you sell to us or are in our countries like other countries , then that's fine , we ll ban your cars from being shipped into our countries. There's a lot of double standard.

Not exactly. Manufacturers are only responsible for the market that they sold the car to. Murano was never sold in Nigeria and Nissan should not be responsible for the warranty. Nigeria govt has no control on Nissan to honor the warranty.
Can you imagine the Nightmare if a manufacturer has to honor all the warranty on their product REGARDLESS of its point of sale and its location? Does not make sense.
I respectfully disagree with you on this
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by staffingx: 7:43am On Sep 28, 2013
KA24DETT:

What you know about VQ .. I know that engine inside out. When nissan first brought it out in 95 nissan maxima, it was to die for. very smooth, economy of 4 cylinder in a v6. check ur facts boy, i am a nissan guy and i have owned 6 differnt nissans at some point and that engine is as reliable as it comes. You think it is easy to win WARDS TOP 10 BEST ENGINE 12 YEARS IN A ROW.

I am about to buy a 2002 maxima gxe, top end luxury interior with a smooth v6. But the dealer who incidentally drives one advised me to always have a spare air flow meter in the trunk. as that is its major issue.

Is that TRUE?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by KA24DETT(m): 12:48am On Sep 29, 2013
staffingx:

I am about to buy a 2002 maxima gxe, top end luxury interior with a smooth v6. But the dealer who incidentally drives one advised me to always have a spare air flow meter in the trunk. as that is its major issue.

Is that TRUE?

Not true..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by austin4real(m): 11:17am On Sep 29, 2013
Hey nlanders, I currently just purchased a nissan primera p11-144, and I wanna know if this vehicle is worth the purchase, I bought the one with the QG18DE engine and wuz told dat engine wasn't too relaible as against the SR20DE, but I believe the engine I went for would be mor economical wats ur take nlanders
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by vaLasce(m): 8:53pm On Sep 30, 2013
t2luv:

Very good car. I think in US it is call Maxima. Change the oil every 3 months, and use a fuel injector cleaner once a month. You shouldn't have any problem. Then at 100,000 miles change the the fuel injector nozzles.
Ok nau!
I jus got a nissan tiida,2008..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by jcshols: 11:20pm On Oct 02, 2013
The CVT on Nissan especially dem Murano n co is smthgelse. Now on documentries,its bn said d@ Honda's new CVT is beta than Nissans. Nissan n probably Mitsubishi r som of d sweetest FWD in d Asian collection. V owned a maxima n it was sweet except 4 d fuel ofcos. An avrge or shd I say a lot of peeps d@ buy Jap mobile aint afta speed so Toyota in its wisdom makes cars d@ will take u easily from point A to B n if u want d lil fun added to it u'll probably end up gettin Honda whch cld b finer dan toyotas bt Nissan seem 2 go a lil more 2 d extreme(for non car-speed freaks)whch affects dem.
Well d@ bn said,i still love me some G35 (VQ engine,best engine award).
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by zik4ever: 11:59am On Oct 07, 2014
Are the Nissan vehicles sold brand new in Nigeria by Stallion motors made in Japan, South Africa or where?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 07, 2014
jcshols:
The CVT on Nissan especially dem Murano n co is smthgelse. Now on documentries,its bn said d@ Honda's new CVT is beta than Nissans. Nissan n probably Mitsubishi r som of d sweetest FWD in d Asian collection. V owned a maxima n it was sweet except 4 d fuel ofcos. An avrge or shd I say a lot of peeps d@ buy Jap mobile aint afta speed so Toyota in its wisdom makes cars d@ will take u easily from point A to B n if u want d lil fun added to it u'll probably end up gettin Honda whch cld b finer dan toyotas bt Nissan seem 2 go a lil more 2 d extreme(for non car-speed freaks)whch affects dem.
Well d@ bn said,i still love me some G35 (VQ engine,best engine award).
SOME LANGUAGE!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by zik4ever: 2:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
Good day all,
I have picked interest in Nissan products especially the Qashqai +2. Nissan motors in Nigeria are currently being sold by Stallion Nissan Nigeria Ltd. Now, I wish to know if the Nissan cars they sell are directly made in/imported from Japan, Europe or Nissan South Africa? I would imagine a direct Japanese production would be of higher quality/spec or grade? Would also appreciate any comment on these Nissan brand new cars especially the Qashqai relative to say its equivalent among the Koreans or all these South African Toyotas/Hondas.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by nyfemy(m): 4:51pm On Oct 21, 2014
KA24DETT:

What you know about VQ .. I know that engine inside out. When nissan first brought it out in 95 nissan maxima, it was to die for. very smooth, economy of 4 cylinder in a v6. check ur facts boy, i am a nissan guy and i have owned 6 differnt nissans at some point and that engine is as reliable as it comes. You think it is easy to win WARDS TOP 10 BEST ENGINE 12 YEARS IN A ROW.

Am aware of the listing of the VQ series on Wards Top Ten Best Engines,too. Its one of the reasons i love my a34 Max. Based on what u said i trust you are knowledgeable about Nissans. If u are interested i need guidance with some issues that i believe once fixed will enable me enjoy the full potential of the car. Via a pm ... perhaps? Thanks.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by KA24DETT(m): 11:49pm On Oct 21, 2014
nyfemy:

Am aware of the listing of the VQ series on Wards Top Ten Best Engines,too. Its one of the reasons i love my a34 Max. Based on what u said i trust you are knowledgeable about Nissans. If u are interested i need guidance with some issues that i believe once fixed will enable me enjoy the full potential of the car. Via a pm ... perhaps? Thanks.

Yeah bro . Hit me any questions. i am here to help.
u can also send me your number and i would add you on whatsapp
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by femicousim: 12:21am On Oct 22, 2014
tpia5:
nissan is the same thing as datsun, which was commonly used in nigeria back in the day.

i doubt there's any major car brand from anywhere in the world which isnt found in nigeria.

saying nigerians dislike nissan smacks of ignorance.

I disagree with you and the OP has made a very valid observation

of the big three(honda, nissan & toyota) of mass market cars in Nigeria, the nissan is less favoured, it has more complex electronics mimicking the germans, hence, the local repair technician avoid them, and discourage car owners as well, as for cost of maintenance, I believe it is just a case of demand & supply, i.e if there's a higher demand of toyota parts, more importers, more dealers, more competition, more taiwans. so the less common cars or brands usually have parts that are more expensive

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by zik4ever: 10:52am On Oct 23, 2014
zik4ever:
Good day all,
I have picked interest in Nissan products especially the Qashqai +2. Nissan motors in Nigeria are currently being sold by Stallion Nissan Nigeria Ltd. Now, I wish to know if the Nissan cars they sell are directly made in/imported from Japan, Europe or Nissan South Africa? I would imagine a direct Japanese production would be of higher quality/spec or grade? Would also appreciate any comment on these Nissan brand new cars especially the Qashqai relative to say its equivalent among the Koreans or all these South African Toyotas/Hondas.

Any feedback on this please?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by nyfemy(m): 4:57pm On Oct 23, 2014
KA24DETT:

Yeah bro . Hit me any questions. i am here to help.
u can also send me your number and i would add you on whatsapp

Thanks for your response and your offer to assist. My e-mail address:- femobash@ gmail.com
As it is am not much into social apps...yet, so cant communicate via whatsapp right now.
I currently drive an '04 Max SL 5 Speed. Just a brief background, my main issue is a knocking, metallic sounding noise from the engine as in when you accelerate from standstill in a higher gear instead of the normal 1st gear if one were driving a manual. But then when i switch from D to Manual mode to check what gear its in, it shows 1st gear. I only used the manual gear-box analogy for clarity. I know its not the famous timing chain tensioner issue as that, i believe, is like a whiny type sound upon acceleration. Looking forward to any pointers.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by KA24DETT(m): 10:27pm On Oct 23, 2014
nyfemy:

Thanks for your response and your offer to assist. My e-mail address:- femobash@ gmail.com
As it is am not much into social apps...yet, so cant communicate via whatsapp right now.
I currently drive an '04 Max SL 5 Speed. Just a brief background, my main issue is a knocking, metallic sounding noise from the engine as in when you accelerate from standstill in a higher gear instead of the normal 1st gear if one were driving a manual. But then when i switch from D to Manual mode to check what gear its in, it shows 1st gear. I only used the manual gear-box analogy for clarity. I know its not the famous timing chain tensioner issue as that, i believe, is like a whiny type sound upon acceleration. Looking forward to any pointers.

Most likely bad gas.. Knocking on acceleration is signs of low octane gas ,,, Drain your gas tank and add another gas froma different sation or you can buy octane booster.. try the octane booster first, if that does not work, let me know.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by oziawo: 4:59am On Oct 24, 2014
but u forgot dat in ondo state nissan cars is well used
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by nissparts(m): 11:59pm On Oct 24, 2014
nyfemy:

What you are experiencing is known as pinging and is as a result of low octane gas. If u experience it mostly just after starting the car and driving off,try this. Start the car and wait for the engine temp gauge to get to the middle,this shld be about 3mins, then drive off and see if it will still occur.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by AkinPikin: 10:34am On Dec 15, 2014
I bought a 2004 Nissan Altima in 2008. Used it till a few months ago when I sold it for cheap. the guy I sold it to lives in my neighbourhood and is still enjoying the car. I also own a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, which I bought as a Naija used in 2010. The car is still going strong. Nissan rocks!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by Mcdonelldouglas(m): 9:27am On Feb 03, 2015
Because their designs are as ugly as volvo cars.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by Dreamflyin(m): 2:12pm On May 14, 2016
Please my Nissan Sunny 2010 throttle just quit working. Car idles at 1800rpm, and throttle don't work.It has no throttle cable, but electronic.From one mechanic to another, and all are saying change the brainbox, change throttle sensor, and the throttle body.Car is 5years old. Bought brand new and only changed clutch fibre and brake pads.Help a brother please.Scanning threw up these codes -P2122 P2127 P2138 P1229
Oga Siena, and Ikenna please help.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by Lexusgs430: 6:10pm On May 14, 2016
I love the Nissan GTR aka Godzilla!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by Nobody: 10:39am On May 15, 2016
Dreamflyin:
Please my Nissan Sunny 2010 throttle just quit working. Car idles at 1800rpm, and throttle don't work.It has no throttle cable, but electronic.From one mechanic to another, and all are saying change the brainbox, change throttle sensor, and the throttle body.Car is 5years old. Bought brand new and only changed clutch fibre and brake pads.Help a brother please.Scanning threw up these codes -P2122 P2127 P2138 P1229
Everything seems to point to your throttle pedal.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by nissparts(m): 9:15pm On May 15, 2016
Dreamflyin:

Replace throttle body
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by Dreamflyin(m): 6:22am On May 16, 2016
nissparts:

Replace throttle body

Oga NissParts, can I get OEM throttle body from you?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by Conductor261: 3:56pm On Jun 23, 2020
I was suprised at the volume/number of Nissans cars I saw on my trip to the US. It is shocking that Nissan as a brand in Nigeria is not adopdted as a reliable car e.g the Nissan Murano etc. It was also shocking to see the Altima on every five mile as I drove, which was by far the most popular. I just wonder why Nigerians don't appreciate Nissan? Why?
Wrong heavenlybang drives one
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:11pm On Jun 23, 2020
Bait. Do not engage.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by Conductor261: 4:22pm On Jun 23, 2020
Fact. You drive a Nissan
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by joselekas(m): 12:15pm On May 20, 2021
Hello seniors.

I just bought a Nissan Teana 2008. A Nigerian used, bought as a brand new, car. Is there anything I should worry about.

I noticed it takes time to accelerate and the engine sound increases when the AC is one.

Thanks.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by PAQ(m): 6:46pm On May 20, 2021
Nissans bad image started in early 2000s with thier awful Continuous Variable transmissions CVT used in Murano, Altima, Pathfinder, Rogue, Sentra, Versa .....

Nissans use of CVT was in its early stages when that type of transmission was still new, adding to its myriad of issues Nigerians kept on using the wrong transmission fluids, leading to premature failures.

Even now most mechanics do not know that AT oils are different from CVT oils.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Dislike Nissan Cars? by kingbee90: 7:13pm On May 20, 2021
joselekas:
Hello seniors.

I just bought a Nissan Teana 2008. A Nigerian used, bought as a brand new, car. Is there anything I should worry about.

I noticed it takes time to accelerate and the engine sound increases when the AC is one.

Thanks.

I am sure it's the black colored unit advertised here on nairaland you just bought.
Teana uses a cvt transmission and I hope you actually checked the state of the gear, engine and cooling system with a competent mechanic before you bought it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Range Rover 2014: Your Autobiography LWB 2015 – Review / Car Rams Into A Building In Surulere Area Of Lagos. Photos / What Is The Difference Between Bumper And Fender?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.