Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,791 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! (25820 Views)

Should I Replace My 15inch Rims With 16inch Rims On My Toyota Camry 2001 Model? / My Toyota Condor Wont Start When The Engine Is Hot. Pls Help. / Mazda 626(1998) Gulps Fuel, ABS,TCS OFF,AIRBAG Light All Showing On The Dash Boa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by mattaz(m): 6:30pm On Jun 19, 2012
Plz haus,

I desperately need help wit my toyota corrolla 2006....Its agreed that one strong points of this car is its low fuel consumption but mine is runnin down south...I av had it checked a number of times for exhaust leakage but nothing has been found wrong with the exhaust. plz cn someone enlightened help throw more light as to wat could be wrong?...Someone just told me now to check the throttle sensor(whatever that means). I'l be grateful for ur wholesome contributions.
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by mdautotec(m): 10:09pm On Jun 19, 2012
Firstly, is there a check engine light (amber colored), illuminated on the instrument cluster?

If so, the first step would be to run a diagnostics. By that I mean a scan tool needs to be connected to the DLC (data link connector) of the vehicle. This will retrieve any trouble codes stored in the memory of the ECM (engine control module).

Any previous mechanical work done on this vehicle recently?
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by msb247(m): 10:31pm On Jun 19, 2012
may be:

you have diluted fuel in your tank.
your fuel pump is faulty.
the injector is problematic.
its your driving.
the silencer is leaking somewhere.
there's too much dirt in the engine.

check all these. also check the type of engine it has because the higher its performance, the more fuel it would consume.
good luck!

5 Likes

Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 19, 2012
mattaz: Plz haus,

I desperately need help wit my toyota corrolla 2006....Its agreed that one strong points of this car is its low fuel consumption but mine is runnin down south...I av had it checked a number of times for exhaust leakage but nothing has been found wrong with the exhaust. plz cn someone enlightened help throw more light as to wat could be wrong?...Someone just told me now to check the throttle sensor(whatever that means). I'l be grateful for ur wholesome contributions.
sir. I used to think Honda was is more fuel efficient than Toyota till i started using the 2008 corrolla RSA model.

I went to check out one today after buying one about one month ago.

SIR, first take the car to a fine rewire with modern diagnostic tools. before ur rewire start opening things up, get the car scanned and what ever TDC it throws can be analysed here

cheers
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Decapo: 10:50pm On Jun 19, 2012
Maybe your fuel tank is leaking
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Frando29(m): 11:00pm On Jun 19, 2012
check the Exhaust Gas Recirculation - EGR port and valve. The EGR port may be clogged and needs cleaning. Also replace the EGR valve. You should have better fuel economy. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by komek(m): 11:07pm On Jun 19, 2012
Guy, go and sell it. Shikina.
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Lexusgs430: 11:29pm On Jun 19, 2012
Toyota Corolla is meant to be very good on Fuel, get your vehicle plugged to an OBD scanner to see if any engine management fault would be picked up. No point second - guessing, when fault can be scanned.
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Nobody: 12:13am On Jun 20, 2012
1st of all, what's your analysis based on?
Heres my suggestion I hope it comes in handy.

Next time your buying fuel,fill up your tank and have some injector cleaner put in it.

How often do you change your oil and filter? I do mine everytime the service light comes on.

Then after a full tank rest your trip odometer and see how far a full tank of fuel takes you. If you cant fill up your tank try approximating with a gallon of fuel and come back and tell us the MPG you get from your trip odometer on the dash. Note that if you drive in lagos idling the car with a/c and constant stops on traffic add up to xtra fuel consumption.

I hope you don't expect your car to magically not consume fuel or you expect unrealistic efficiency. Well try the above experiment and lets see the mpg you get
NOTE: as long as the check engine light doesn't come on there is no point scanning the car because no error code will show up for a toyota.
Another question, is your 06 corrolla bank type? Or the yankee spec?
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Lexusgs430: 12:36am On Jun 20, 2012
babs2aroks: 1st of all, what's your analysis based on?
Heres my suggestion I hope it comes in handy.

Next time your buying fuel,fill up your tank and have some injector cleaner put in it.

How often do you change your oil and filter? I do mine everytime the service light comes on.

Then after a full tank rest your trip odometer and see how far a full tank of fuel takes you. If you cant fill up your tank try approximating with a gallon of fuel and come back and tell us the MPG you get from your trip odometer on the dash. Note that if you drive in lagos idling the car with a/c and constant stops on traffic add up to xtra fuel consumption.

I hope you don't expect your car to magically not consume fuel or you expect unrealistic efficiency. Well try the above experiment and lets see the mpg you get
NOTE: as long as the check engine light doesn't come on there is no point scanning the car because no error code will show up for a toyota.
Another question, is your 06 corrolla bank type? Or the yankee spec?

The poster did not mention engine management light been illuminated or not, whereas scanning is probably the cheapest and quickest option if he feels the consumption is on the high - side, which is why I pointed him in that direction.
I have a scanner for personal use, and it is an important tool for all car owners with OBD ports.
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by icemann(m): 2:24am On Jun 20, 2012
mattaz: Plz haus,

How do you know your car is a fuel guzzler?
Did you compare it to the company posted fuel consumption?
How long has this your "unusually gulping fuel" been going on?
Have you noticed any thing different about your car since this started?

Your question is very Vague and i think you need to give more details on your car problems.

House, increase in fuel consumption can be caused by a lot of things and some can not be detected by a computer scan
Just because you don't see a check engine light doesn't mean the car is ok. faulty check light wouldn't detect some engine problems
Faulty bearings, low tire pressure, Binding breaks etc are some things that can cause high fuel consumption and cannot be detected by A 2006 corolla
(I have driven one)

3 Likes

Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by StarrMatthieu: 5:15am On Jun 20, 2012
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by StarrMatthieu: 5:16am On Jun 20, 2012
Well
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Pakavy(m): 5:28am On Jun 20, 2012
komek: Guy, go and sell it. Shikina.
c ur mawt
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by komek(m): 6:40am On Jun 20, 2012
Pakavy: c ur mawt
like U̶̲̅я own
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by osajojo(m): 7:12am On Jun 20, 2012
@mod have u seen fishes drinking fuel
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by livingstoneony(m): 7:40am On Jun 20, 2012
Dude go and sell d car#wer r does ppe dat ask "how did dis even get to d front page?" I tink dis is d tym!**sell d da*n car bro
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Vicjustice: 7:49am On Jun 20, 2012
Why not put it CONSUME instead of "drink" Can a car drink petrol?
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Tadup: 7:57am On Jun 20, 2012
What is the engine capacity?
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by myfriend1(m): 7:59am On Jun 20, 2012
If you run your car in town and you agreed that it consume fuel i will disagree with you. Your first step should be to fill your tank on saturday evening, on sunday morning take this vehicle and cover 50 kilometres and fill the tank again. This is when you will know your real fuel consumption. If you buy more than 7 litres, i believe the vehicle is bad. Please do this first, before you conclude that this vehicle consume fuel.

1 Like

Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by humblebee: 8:25am On Jun 20, 2012
Vicjustice: Why not put it CONSUME instead of "drink" Can a car drink petrol?

good to know you understood his point... its to explain how bad his situation is.
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Olubachar(m): 8:30am On Jun 20, 2012
Lexusgs430:

The poster did not mention engine management light been illuminated or not, whereas scanning is probably the cheapest and quickest option if he feels the consumption is on the high - side, which is why I pointed him in that direction.
I have a scanner for personal use, and it is an important tool for all car owners with OBD ports.
How much did u buy ur scanner? Which product?
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by tyor: 9:07am On Jun 20, 2012
Ogbeni, before you start spending money scanning the car and replacing parts.

Firstly, u have to understand what causes the fuel consumption. The problem could be you. If you have a HEAVY FOOT meaning ur acceleration is HIGH. If u're the type of person that would compete for space in Traffic, u would burn more fuel. Also, if u're the type that wants ur car to be on 100km/h within 7seconds, u will burn more fuel.

U should drive the car for another 2 weeks changing ur driving style and examine the consumption. I drive MMA2, Ikeja - Ajose Adeogun, VI daily and I dont finish N5000 worth of fuel in a week. kindly note that my consumption is based on the fact that I leave my house at 6:30am and close from work at 8pm. (I drive a 2005 corolla).

I travel to Ilorin on half-tank.

After this exmination, u can conclude that its d car that needs help.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by ManTJ1(m): 9:41am On Jun 20, 2012
embarassed cheesy cool angry angry cool shocked sad
tyor: Ogbeni, before you start spending money scanning the car and replacing parts.

Firstly, u have to understand what causes the fuel consumption. The problem could be you. If you have a HEAVY FOOT meaning ur acceleration is HIGH. If u're the type of person that would compete for space in Traffic, u would burn more fuel. Also, if u're the type that wants ur car to be on 100km/h within 7seconds, u will burn more fuel.

U should drive the car for another 2 weeks changing ur driving style and examine the consumption. I drive MMA2, Ikeja - Ajose Adeogun, VI daily and I dont finish N5000 worth of fuel in a week. kindly note that my consumption is based on the fact that I leave my house at 6:30am and close from work at 8pm. (I drive a 2005 corolla).

I travel to Ilorin on half-tank.

After this exmination, u can conclude that its d car that needs help.

1 Like

Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by ManTJ1(m): 9:43am On Jun 20, 2012
humblebee:

good to know you understood his point... its to explain how bad his situation is.
cheesy wink smiley
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by ManTJ1(m): 9:44am On Jun 20, 2012
osajojo: @mod have u seen fishes drinking fuel

U worry o
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Exponental(m): 9:59am On Jun 20, 2012
Where is ur route n how much fuel do buy? Is ur car a V6?
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by kuss: 9:59am On Jun 20, 2012
i use a Toyota tundra 2009 model it drinks fuel as my baby drinks sma gold

1 Like

Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 20, 2012
kuss: i use a Toyota tundra 2009 model it drinks fuel as my baby drinks sma gold

You Drive a 5.7L V8 Truck am sure you knew what you got you're self into before buying the car. That's a very thirsty beast you have smiley

1 Like

Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by ayojosh2k(m): 11:37am On Jun 20, 2012
I drive a 2003 Toyota Sequoia...'drinking' fuel is an understatement. its a V8 4.7L engine.
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by femi4: 12:47pm On Jun 20, 2012
Scan the car, perhaps you have check engine on
Re: Help My Toyota Corolla Unusually Gulps Fuel!!!! by webplay: 3:35pm On Jun 20, 2012
I think i understand what the poster means. I drive a 2003 corolla, US spec, and lately, i've been noticing same.
The car was initially very good on fuel comsumption, but recently, i have noticed a very marked increase in its fuel consumption.
Some mechanic said its the fuel injector, and he sprayed fuel injector cleaner or something like that, and though it seemed to abate for a while, the fuel consumption is still high.

And I am sure i am not confused because of the increase in fuel price over the period of usage (2010 till now).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos Of Keke Made & Assembled In Gombe State / Coscharis Motor To Start Producing Renault Cars In Nigeria / 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.