Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,355 members, 7,808,241 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Who Is God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is God? (2082 Views)

Is GOD GOOD TO YOU THIS YEAR / Where In The Bible Did Jesus Mentioned He Is God / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is God? by geegee(f): 9:16pm On Nov 27, 2007
im not a christian nor a muslim but lately i don't know what is happening to me,after i read someone post encounter with Jesus changed my life. i was touched and i was wondering if it is real? i kept thinking about it for days. i am curios and want to know more of him. can all these hurt, abuse and pain i feel go away just like that? can he truly help me forgive those who hurt me and give me a new beginning? can he truly heal me of my blood disease? can he take away the feeling of anger,bitterness and revenge away?and give me a purpose and a focus? i mean i sense of direction? can he be trusted? because the once i trusted the most are the once that hurt me.
Re: Who Is God? by JeSoul(f): 11:32pm On Nov 27, 2007
My sister all the answers to ur questions lie in Lk 1:37 "For nothing is impossible with God"
and in Heb 6:18 "It is impossible for God to lie"

It is not a coincidence or by chance you're feeling that tug in your heart, that's God reaching out to you and I encourage you to listen. I don't want you to think though that coming to Christ is a quick fix for everything that's wrong in ur life, no it's not. All the pain and hurt will not disappear overnight, but gradually it will as God heals you, teaches you to forgive and love those who've hurt you in the past. Can God be trusted? it is impossible for Him to change or lie - so you need not fear rejection, hurt or pain from Him. All He ever wanted for us all are good things - I encourage you to listen to Him as He speaks to your heart. I'd love to talk futher with you if you like - hit me up aight?

Godbless! smiley
Re: Who Is God? by uchetobi(f): 11:18am On Jan 29, 2008
geegee:

im not a christian nor a muslim but lately i don't know what is happening to me,after i read someone post encounter with Jesus changed my life. i was touched and i was wondering if it is real? i kept thinking about it for days. i am curios and want to know more of him. can all these hurt, abuse and pain i feel go away just like that? can he truly help me forgive those who hurt me and give me a new beginning? can he truly heal me of my blood disease? can he take away the feeling of anger,bitterness and revenge away?and give me a purpose and a focus? i mean i sense of direction? can he be trusted? because the once i trusted the most are the once that hurt me.

My dear just close your eyes and say God almighty i know u are dere and u are real, reveal urself 2 me cuz i want 2 knw u and my dear he will so reveal himself 2u and embrace u, welcome 2 d peace of knowing God
Re: Who Is God? by ohis4: 1:18pm On Jan 29, 2008
Just freely accept Jesus Christ has your personal Lord and saviour.He has a great purpose 4ur life.The best of ur life is yet to come,In Christ u will never regret anything,you will always smiling and have a positive mind set,you will be the best among others and u will have a bless and fulilled future.
Sister dont think about what you have done that was wrong or ur pain and sickness instead give ur heart totally to Christ and watch and see how great u will become.the bible said Prov 3v5 Trust in the lord with all ur heart and depend not unto ur own understanding,in all your way acknowlegde Him and He will direct ur path.
God bless you.
Re: Who Is God? by dafidixone(m): 1:50pm On Jan 29, 2008

This is great experiencing you are having. Keep on into it move on dear. God is real you will see Him more clearly as you press further.

All you need do is Seek His Kingdom and all other things will be added unto it for you.

I will suggest you look for a Bible believing Church e.g The Reddemed christian church of God in your areas. Attend Believers Class there you will know Him the more.

Bless you ! smiley
Re: Who Is God? by olabowale(m): 2:13pm On Jan 29, 2008
@geegee:
If you do not go directly to the God and Lord of Jesus, even if you are relieved of all the conditions that you listed above and even what you may have put aside, without telling a soul, you would have gotten temporary relieve! Permanent solution, in one shot to all problems, is with the Creator. And Jesus is not the Creator! I advice you to approach your Creator, without setting up an intermediary between the two of you. If you go to Jesus, you have not approached your Creator. It will be as if you have gone to a voodoo person, yet some get healed through them. The reason is that they have purchased evil because of lack of sincere belief! Look at China in their generally lack of believe in God. Look at Bill Gate, an atheist. Success or difficulty is not based on faith. But through success is in having the right and correct faith in God, in the way of non association, worship and good deed. Failure is an everlasting effect, starting from the time of death; If you associate anything with God! Christianity is association of Son, holy spirit/ghost with God the Almighty Creator. Think and please make the righ connection to your Creator!

Allah the Almighty is always ready to accept repentance from His creations!
Re: Who Is God? by samsonola(m): 4:32pm On Jan 29, 2008
true talk wink
Re: Who Is God? by samsonola(m): 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2008
@Olabowale
true talk wink
Re: Who Is God? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 29, 2008
God is no thing.
Re: Who Is God? by goodguy(m): 5:03pm On Jan 29, 2008
uchetobi:

My dear just close your eyes and say God almighty i know u are dere and u are real, reveal yourself 2 me because i want 2 knw u and my dear he will so reveal himself 2u and embrace u, welcome to the peace of knowing God

BULL crap.  So if she nor close her eyes, God no go come abi?  Kai, our pastors don long dey deceive us o. lol. cheesy

@poster.

Stop searching for God.  Yes, STOP.   If He's truly there, and if He really cares, trust me, He'll come for you. wink
Just keep living a good life, and have a clean heart and a loving spirit towards people.  All shall be well. smiley
Re: Who Is God? by dimpules: 1:53pm On Jan 30, 2008
@geegee

God really cares for you. He says you are fearfully and wonderfully made. He loves you. Please open your heart to Him and just call on the name of Jesus with a sincere heart and he will help you and heal you of all the hurt and pain.

The bible is really deep. There is alot to know. God promises to heal and deliver us through our circumstances not out of our circumstances. He also says his ways are not our ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts so please do not be discouraged or disappointed when he seems quiet. He is not. He is fighting battles for you behind the closet.

Be strong and i will be praying for you.

God bless
Re: Who Is God? by Alphazee(f): 2:50pm On Jan 30, 2008
Just like you, I was trying to reach God through the Bible. I've done some research and the following are some of the results to help guide you,

In the Bible, words having to do with killing significantly outnumber words having to do with love.

GE 3:1-7, 22-24 God allows Adam and Eve to be deceived by the Serpent (the craftiest of all of God's wild creatures). They eat of the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil," thereby incurring death for themselves and all of mankind for ever after. God prevents them from regaining eternal life, by placing a guard around the "Tree of Eternal Life." (Note: God could have done the same for the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" in the first place and would thereby have prevented the Fall of man, the necessity for Salvation, the Crucifixion of Jesus, etc.)

GE 4:2-8 God's arbitrary preference of Abel's offering to that of Cain's provokes Cain to commit the first biblically recorded murder and kill his brother Abel.

GE 34:13-29 The Israelites kill Hamor, his son, and all the men of their village, taking as plunder their wealth, cattle, wives and children.

GE 6:11-17, 7:11-24 God is unhappy with the wickedness of man and decides to do something about it. He kills every living thing on the face of the earth other than Noah's family and thereby makes himself the greatest mass murderer in history.

GE 19:26 God personally sees to it that Lot's wife is turned to a pillar of salt (for having looked behind her while fleeing the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah).

GE 38:9 ", whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. What he did was wicked , , so the Lord put him to death."

EX 2:12 Moses murders an Egyptian.

EX 7:1, 14, 9:14-16, 10:1-2, 11:7 The purpose of the devastation that God brings to the Egyptians is as follows:
to show that he is Lord;
to show that there is none like him in all the earth;
to show his great power;
to cause his name to be declared throughout the earth;
to give the Israelites something to talk about with their children;
to show that he makes a distinction between Israel and Egypt.

EX 9:22-25 A plague of hail from the Lord strikes down everything in the fields of Egypt both man and beast except in Goshen where the Israelites reside.

EX 12:29 The Lord kills all the first-born in the land of Egypt.

EX 17:13 With the Lord's approval, Joshua mows down Amalek and his people.

EX 21:20-21 With the Lord's approval, a slave may be beaten to death with no punishment for the perpetrator as long as the slave doesn't die too quickly.

EX 32:27 "Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor.

EX 32:27-29 With the Lord's approval, the Israelites slay 3000 men.

LE 26:7-8 The Lord promises the Israelites that, if they are obedient, their enemies will "fall before your sword."

LE 26:22 "I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children."

LE 26:29, DT 28:53, JE 19:9, EZ 5:8-10 As a punishment, the Lord will cause people to eat the flesh of their own sons and daughters and fathers and friends.

LE 27:29 Human sacrifice is condoned. (Note: An example is given in JG 11:30-39)

NU 11:33 The Lord smites the people with a great plague.

NU 12:1-10 God makes Miriam a leper for seven days because she and Aaron had spoken against Moses.

NU 15:32-36 A Sabbath breaker (who had gathered sticks for a fire) is stoned to death at the Lord's command.

NU 16:27-33 The Lord causes the earth to open and swallow up the men and their households (including wives and children) because the men had been rebellious.

NU 16:35 A fire from the Lord consumes 250 men.

NU 16:49 A plague from the Lord kills 14,700 people.

NU 21:3 The Israelites utterly destroy the Canaanites.

NU 21:6 Fiery serpents, sent by the Lord, kill many Israelites.

NU 21:35 With the Lord's approval, the Israelites slay Og ", and his sons and all his people, until there was not one survivor left , "

NU 25:4 (KJV) "And the Lord said unto Moses, take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the Lord against the sun , "

NU 25:8 "He went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly."

NU 25:9 24,000 people die in a plague from the Lord.

NU 31:9 The Israelites capture Midianite women and children.

NU 31:17-18 Moses, following the Lord's command, orders the Israelites to kill all the Midianite male children and ", every woman who has known man , " (Note: How would it be determined which women had known men? One can only speculate.)

NU 31:31-40 32,000 virgins are taken by the Israelites as booty. Thirty-two are set aside (to be sacrificed?) as a tribute for the Lord.

DT 2:33-34 The Israelites utterly destroy the men, women, and children of Sihon.

DT 3:6 The Israelites utterly destroy the men, women, and children of Og.

DT 7:2 The Lord commands the Israelites to "utterly destroy" and shown "no mercy" to those whom he gives them for defeat.

DT 20:13-14 "When the Lord delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the males , As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves."

DT 20:16 "In the cities of the nations the Lord is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes."

DT 21:10-13 With the Lord's approval, the Israelites are allowed to take "beautiful women" from the enemy camp to be their captive wives. If, after sexual relations, the husband has "no delight" in his wife, he can simply let her go.

DT 28:53 "You will eat the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the Lord your God has given you."

JS 1:1-9, 18 Joshua receives the Lord's blessing for all the bloody endeavors to follow.

JS 6:21-27 With the Lord's approval, Joshua destroys the city of Jericho men, women, and children with the edge of the sword.

JS 7:19-26 Achan, his children and his cattle are stoned to death because Achan had taken a taboo thing.

JS 8:22-25 With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly smites the people of Ai, killing 12,000 men and women, so that there were none who escaped.

JS 10:10-27 With the help of the Lord, Joshua utterly destroys the Gibeonites.

JS 10:28 With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the people of Makkedah.

JS 10:30 With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the Libnahites.

JS 10:32-33 With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the people of Lachish.

JS 10:34-35 With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the Eglonites.

JS 10:36-37 With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the Hebronites.

JS 10:38-39 With the Lord's approval, Joshua utterly destroys the Debirites.

JS 10:40 (A summary statement.) "So Joshua defeated the whole land , ; he left none remaining, but destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel commanded."

JS 11:6 The Lord orders horses to be hamstrung. (Exceedingly cruel.)

JS 11:8-15 "And the lord gave them into the hand of Israel, , utterly destroying them; there was none left that breathed , "

JS 11:20 "For it was the Lord's doing to harden their hearts that they should come against Israel in battle, in order that they should be utterly destroyed, and should receive no mercy but be exterminated, as the Lord commanded Moses."

JS 11:21-23 Joshua utterly destroys the Anakim.

JG 1:4 With the Lord's support, Judah defeats 10,000 Canaanites at Bezek.

JG 1:6 With the Lord's approval, Judah pursues Adoni-bezek, catches him, and cuts off his thumbs and big toes.

JG 1:8 With the Lord's approval, Judah smites Jerusalem.

JG 1:17 With the Lord's approval, Judah and Simeon utterly destroy the Canaanites who inhabited Zephath.

JG 3:29 The Israelites kill about 10,000 Moabites.

JG 3:31 (A restatement.) Shamgar killed 600 Philistines with an oxgoad.

JG 4:21 Jael takes a tent stake and hammers it through the head of Sisera, fastening it to the ground.

JG 7:19-25 The Gideons defeat the Midianites, slay their princes, cut off their heads, and bring the heads back to Gideon.

JG 8:15-21 The Gideons slaughter the men of Penuel.

JG 9:5 Abimalech murders his brothers.

JG 9:45 Abimalech and his men kill all the people in the city.

JG 9:53-54 "A woman dropped a stone on his head and cracked his skull. Hurriedly he called to his armor-bearer, 'Draw your sword and kill me, so that they can't say a woman killed me.' So his servant ran him through, and he died."

JG 11:29-39 Jepthah sacrifices his beloved daughter, his only child, according to a vow he has made with the Lord.

JG 14:19 The Spirit of the Lord comes upon a man and causes him to slay thirty men.

JG 15:15 Samson slays 1000 men with the jawbone of an ass.

JG 16:21 The Philistines gouge out Samson's eyes.

JG 16:27-30 Samson, with the help of the Lord, pulls down the pillars of the Philistine house and causes his own death and that of 3000 other men and women.

JG 18:27 The Danites slay the quiet and unsuspecting people of Laish.

JG 19:22-29 A group of sexual depraved men beat on the door of an old man's house demanding that he turn over to them a male house guest. Instead, the old man offers his virgin daughter and his guest's concubine (or wife): "Behold, here are my virgin daughter and his concubine; let me bring them out now. Ravish them and do with them what seems good to you; but against this man do not do so vile a thing." The man's concubine is ravished and dies. The man then cuts her body into twelve pieces and sends one piece to each of the twelve tribes of Israel.

JG 20:43-48 The Israelites smite 25,000+ "men of valor" from amongst the Benjamites, "men and beasts and all that they found," and set their towns on fire.

JG 21:10-12 ", Go and smite the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead with the edge of the sword and; also the women and little ones, every male and every woman that has lain with a male you shall utterly destroy." They do so and find four hundred young virgins whom they bring back for their own use.

1SA 4:10 The Philistines slay 30,000 Israelite foot soldiers.

1SA 5:6-9 The Lord afflicts the Philistines with tumors in their "secret parts," presumably for having stolen the Ark.

1SA 6:19 God kills seventy men (or so) for looking into the Ark (at him?). (Note: The early Israelites apparently thought the Ark to be God's abode.)

1SA 7:7-11 Samuel and his men smite the Philistines.

1SA 11:11 With the Lord's blessing, Saul and his men cut down the Ammonites.

1SA 14:31 Jonathan and his men strike down the Philistines.

1SA 14:48 Saul smites the Amalekites.

1SA 15:3, 7-8 "This is what the Lord says: Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass , ' And Saul , utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword."

1SA 15:33 "Samuel hewed Agag in pieces before the Lord , "

1SA 18:7 The women sing as they make merry: "Saul has slain his thousands and David his ten thousands."

1SA 18:27 David murders 200 Philistines, then cuts off their foreskins.

1SA 30:17 David smites the Amalekites.

2SA 2:23 Abner kills Asahel.

2SA 3:30 Joab and Abishai kill Abner.

2SA 4:7-8 Rechan and Baanah kill Ish-bosheth, behead him, and take his head to David.

2SA 4:12 David has Rechan and Baanah killed, their hands and feet cut off, and their bodies hanged by the pool at Hebron.

2SA 5:25 "And David did as the Lord commanded him, and smote the Philistines , "

2SA 6:2-23 Because she rebuked him for having exposed himself, Michal (David's wife) was barren throughout her life.

2SA 8:1-18 (A listing of some of David's murderous conquests.)

2SA 8:4 David hamstrung all but a few of the horses.

2SA 8:5 David slew 22,000 Syrians.

2SA 8:6, 14 "The Lord gave victory to David wherever he went."

2SA 8:13 David slew 18,000 Edomites in the valley of salt and made the rest slaves.

2SA 10:18 David slew 47,000+ Syrians.

2SA 11:14-27 David has Uriah killed so that he can marry Uriah's wife, Bathsheba.

2SA 12:1, 19 The Lord strikes David's child dead for the sin that David has committed.

2SA 13:1-15 Amnon loves his sister Tamar, rapes her, then hates her.

2SA 13:28-29 Absalom has Amnon murdered.

2SA 18:6 -7 20,000 men are slaughtered at the battle in the forest of Ephraim.

2SA 18:15 Joab's men murder Absalom.

2SA 20:10-12 Joab's men murder Amasa and leave him ", wallowing in his own blood in the highway. And anyone who came by, seeing him, stopped."

2SA 24:15 The Lord sends a pestilence on Israel that kills 70,000 men.

1KI 2:24-25 Solomon has Adonijah murdered.

1KI 2:29-34 Solomon has Joab murdered.

1KI 2:46 Solomon has Shime-i murdered.

1KI 13:15-24 A man is killed by a lion for eating bread and drinking water in a place where the Lord had previously told him not to. This is in spite of the fact that the man had subsequently been lied to by a prophet who told the man that an angel of the Lord said that it would be alright to eat and drink there.

1KI 20:29-30 The Israelites smite 100,000 Syrian soldiers in one day. A wall falls on 27,000 remaining Syrians.

2KI 1:10-12 Fire from heaven comes down and consumes fifty men.

2KI 2:23-24 Forty-two children are mauled and killed, presumably according to the will of God, for having jeered at a man of God.

2KI 5:27 Elisha curses Gehazi and his descendants forever with leprosy.

2KI 6:18-19 The Lord answers Elisha's prayer and strikes the Syrians with blindness. Elisha tricks the blind Syrians and leads them to Samaria.

2KI 6:29 "So we cooked my son and ate him. The next day I said to her, 'Give up your son so we may eat him,' but she had hidden him."

2KI 9:24 Jehu tricks and murders Joram.

2KI 9:27 Jehu has Ahaziah killed.

2KI 9:30-37 Jehu has Jezebel killed. Her body is trampled by horses. Dogs eat her flesh so that only her skull, feet, and the palms of her hands remain.

2KI 10:7 Jehu has Ahab's seventy sons beheaded, then sends the heads to their father.

2KI 10:14 Jehu has forty-two of Ahab's kin killed.

2KI 10:17 "And when he came to Samaria, he slew all that remained to Ahab in Samaria, till he had wiped them out, according to the word of the Lord , "

2KI 10:19-27 Jehu uses trickery to massacre the Baal worshippers.

2KI 11:1 Athaliah destroys all the royal family.

2KI 14:5, 7 Amaziah kills his servants and then 10,000 Edomites.

2KI 15:3-5 Even though he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, the Lord smites Azariah with leprosy for not having removed the "high places."

2KI 15:16 Menahem ripped open all the women who were pregnant.

2KI 19:35 An angel of the Lord kills 185,000 men.

1CH 20:3 (KJV) "And he brought out the people that were in it, and cut them with saws, and with harrows of iron, and with axes."

2CH 13:17 500,000 Israelites are slaughtered.

2CH 21:4 Jehoram slays all his brothers.

PS 137:9 Happy will be the man who dashes your little ones against the stones.

PS 144:1 God is praised as the one who trains hands for war and fingers for battle.

IS 13:15 "Everyone who is captured will be thrust through; all who are caught will fall by the sword. Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their , wives will be ravished."

IS 13:18 "Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children."

IS 14:21-22 "Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers."

IS 49:26 The Lord will cause the oppressors of the Israelite's to eat their own flesh and to become drunk on their own blood as with wine.

JE 16:4 "They shall die grievous deaths; they shall not be lamented; neither shall they be buried; but they shall be as dung upon the face of the earth: and they shall be consumed by the sword, and by famine; and their carcasses shall be meat for the fowls of heaven, and for the beasts of the earth."

LA 4:9-10 "Those slain by the sword are better off than those who die of famine; racked with hunger, they waste away for lack of food. , pitiful women have cooked their own children, who became their food , "

EZ 6:12-13 The Lord says: ", they will fall by the sword, famine and plague. He that is far away will die of the plague, and he that is near will fall by the sword, and he that survives and is spared will die of famine. So will I spend my wrath upon them. And they will know I am the Lord, when the people lie slain among their idols around their altars, on every high hill and on all the mountaintops, under every spreading tree and every leafy oak , "

EZ 9:4-6 The Lord commands: ", slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women , "

EZ 20:26 In order that he might horrify them, the Lord allowed the Israelites to defile themselves through, amongst other things, the sacrifice of their first-born children.

EZ 21:3-4 The Lord says that he will cut off both the righteous and the wicked that his sword shall go against all flesh.

EZ 23:25, 47 God is going to slay the sons and daughters of those who were whores.

EZ 23:34 "You shall , pluck out your hair, and tear your breasts."

HO 13:16 "They shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."

MI 3:2-3 ", who pluck off their skin , , and their flesh from off their bones; Who also eat the flesh of my people, and flay their skin from off them; and they break their bones, and chop them in pieces, as for the pot, and as flesh within the caldron."

MT 3:12, 8:12, 10:21, 13:30, 42, 22:13, 24:51, 25:30, LK 13:28, JN 5:24 Some will spend eternity burning in Hell. There will be weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

MT 10:21 ", the brother shall deliver up his brother to death, and the father his child, , children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death."

MT 10:35-36 "For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law a man's enemies will be the members of his own family."

MT 11:21-24 Jesus curses [the inhabitants of] three cities who were not sufficiently impressed with his great works.

AC 13:11 Paul purposefully blinds a man (though not permanently).
Re: Who Is God? by pilgrim1(f): 3:14pm On Jan 30, 2008
@Alphazee,

How body? I hope nothing happen O! grin U dey vex for God? Sorry, eh?

Just wanted to drop you the link to my reply on the same thing you posted in another thread which you opened: (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-109269.0.html#msg1902776)

Shalom.
Re: Who Is God? by Alphazee(f): 10:20am On Jan 31, 2008
pilgrim.1,
Don't be hard on me. I didn't write those verses. The're written by those inspired by God Himself !!
Re: Who Is God? by jagunlabi(m): 12:56pm On Jan 31, 2008
Alphazee:

pilgrim.1,
Don't be hard on me. I didn't write those verses. The're written by those inspired by God Himself !!
Lol!The "word of god" revealing in no uncertain terms,the brutal and sadistic "love" of the jewish tribal deity.
Wonderful! grin

Not even the firebreathing Sango was that brutish.
Re: Who Is God? by Alphazee(f): 1:21pm On Jan 31, 2008
Jangulabi
Not even the firebreathing Sango was that brutish.

Absolutely!
Re: Who Is God? by fathfam(f): 1:54pm On Jan 31, 2008
Say He his Allah

It is a known fact that every language has one or more terms that are used in reference to God and sometimes to lesser deities. This is not the case with Allah. Allah is the personal name of the One true God. Nothing else can be called Allah. The term has no plural or gender. This shows its uniqueness when compared with the word god which can be made plural, gods, or feminine, goddess. It is interesting to notice that Allah is the personal name of God in Aramaic, the language of Jesus and a sister language of Arabic.

The One true God is a reflection of the unique concept that Islam associates with God. To a Muslim, Allah is the Almighty, Creator and Sustainer of the universe, Who is similar to nothing and nothing is comparable to Him. The Prophet Muhammad was asked by his contemporaries about Allah; the answer came directly from God Himself in the form of a short chapter of the Quran, which is considered the essence of the unity or the motto of monotheism. This is chapter 112 which reads:

"In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate.
Say (O Muhammad) He is God the One God, the Everlasting Refuge, who has not begotten, nor has been begotten, and equal to Him is not anyone."
Re: Who Is God? by Logical(m): 6:48pm On Jan 31, 2008
The Bible is a nice book. It teaches—to some extent—morality and guidance. But it was not revealed by a Deity. It was written by inspired men and maybe women, like all other books. These men and women based their values on the understanding of their time. Going through the Bible, one is able to capture a perfect evolutionary process in theology. We begin with Yahweh, a tribalistic God, who loves the Hebrews and hates other people. This God later evolves to become the Father of Jesus Christ who surprisingly loves all people. How strange!

In reality, God never evolved. It was human understanding of the nature of God that evolved, hence the transformation from the vengeful and unpleasant Yahweh to the loving and kind God the Father. The Bible is a compilation of Jewish/Christian understanding of a Deity over centuries. Thus, while it was okay to stone someone to death for adultery in the Old Testament, the New Testament is filled with nothing but love, love, love. Same God? Then why such different laws?

I could go on and on but let me end with this: in what language were the Gospels written? Some scholars think in Aramaic (the language of Jesus). But where are the original Aramaic texts? The fact is, it is becoming increasingly accepted that the Gospels were originally written in Greek! Yes Greek, and the oldest texts we have are all in Greek. Not a single Aramaic codex is known. So, how could fishermen who probably barely knew how to read and write Aramaic, learn not only how to write in Greek but also how to state: “In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with God and the Logos was God.”

Sounds rather Aristotelian doesn’t it? It sure does, because the Gospels are most likely nothing but personified forms of mystical stories that existed long before they were written. Replace Mithras, Horus or Krishna with Jesus. Modify the theme a bit and change the setting from India or Egypt to Palestine, and you have a perfect story. Of course, the story has to be set to real history, so you choose as the time when Palestine was under Roman occupation. Once in a while you mess up so much with history, like asserting that Herod the Great existed at the same time as Caesar Augustus (according to Matthew’s Gospel) because your story isn’t based on facts but on ancient myths.

Let those who are interested study history and other religions and find things out for themselves.I do not subscribe to dogmatic theology based on a “Word of God”.
Re: Who Is God? by jagunlabi(m): 5:20pm On Feb 01, 2008
Halleluyah to this post! grin
Logical:

The Bible is a nice book. It teaches—to some extent—morality and guidance. But it was not revealed by a Deity. It was written by inspired men and maybe women, like all other books. These men and women based their values on the understanding of their time. Going through the Bible, one is able to capture a perfect evolutionary process in theology. We begin with Yahweh, a tribalistic God, who loves the Hebrews and hates other people. This God later evolves to become the Father of Jesus Christ who surprisingly loves all people. How strange!

In reality, God never evolved. It was human understanding of the nature of God that evolved, hence the transformation from the vengeful and unpleasant Yahweh to the loving and kind God the Father. The Bible is a compilation of Jewish/Christian understanding of a Deity over centuries. Thus, while it was okay to stone someone to death for adultery in the Old Testament, the New Testament is filled with nothing but love, love, love. Same God? Then why such different laws?

I could go on and on but let me end with this: in what language were the Gospels written? Some scholars think in Aramaic (the language of Jesus). But where are the original Aramaic texts? The fact is, it is becoming increasingly accepted that the Gospels were originally written in Greek! Yes Greek, and the oldest texts we have are all in Greek. Not a single Aramaic codex is known. So, how could fishermen who probably barely knew how to read and write Aramaic, learn not only how to write in Greek but also how to state: “In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with God and the Logos was God.”

Sounds rather Aristotelian doesn’t it? It sure does, because the Gospels are most likely nothing but personified forms of mystical stories that existed long before they were written. Replace Mithras, Horus or Krishna with Jesus. Modify the theme a bit and change the setting from India or Egypt to Palestine, and you have a perfect story. Of course, the story has to be set to real history, so you choose as the time when Palestine was under Roman occupation. Once in a while you mess up so much with history, like asserting that Herod the Great existed at the same time as Caesar Augustus (according to Matthew’s Gospel) because your story isn’t based on facts but on ancient myths.

Let those who are interested study history and other religions and find things out for themselves.I do not subscribe to dogmatic theology based on a “Word of God”.
Re: Who Is God? by IDINRETE: 5:33pm On Feb 01, 2008
if i may second Jagunlabi, Logical i applaud you but one thing i beg to differ is that the bible is not a nice book; IT IS A VERY VERY BAD BOOK, those[i] idiotais [/i] that were inspired to write it were very ignorant of science, morality, astronomy, justice, et al plus whoever inspired them to write it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Is God? by lordisgood: 6:39pm On Feb 02, 2008
HE is the I AM that I AM, THE EVELASTING ROCK OF AGES, THE ALPHA AND OMEGA, THE AUTHOR and FINISHER OF OUR SOULS, all you need to do is to seek our LORD Jesus CHRIST first and he will reveal HIMSELF to you, and you will be glad to know HIM. for there is no salvation in any other than the name of OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST and the moment you confess HIM as your LORD and personal saviour you will be free.
Re: Who Is God? by Logical(m): 9:33pm On Feb 02, 2008
IDINRETE:

if i may second Jagunlabi, Logical i applaud you but one thing i beg to differ is that the bible is not a nice book; IT IS A VERY VERY BAD BOOK, those[i] idiotais [/i] that were inspired to write it were very ignorant of science, morality, astronomy, justice, et al plus whoever inspired them to write it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Well maybe that is so. But do understand my context of saying its nice. It grows around the evolution of God according to the bible, and perhaps the complexity of the variations, nothing more.
Re: Who Is God? by babs787(m): 3:43pm On Feb 03, 2008
@lordisgood

HE is the I AM that I AM, THE EVELASTING ROCK OF AGES, THE ALPHA AND OMEGA, THE AUTHOR and FINISHER OF OUR SOULS, all you need to do is to seek our LORD Jesus CHRIST first and he will reveal HIMSELF to you, and you will be glad to know HIM. for there is no salvation in any other than the name of OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST and the moment you confess HIM as your LORD and personal saviour you will be free.

Did he tell you to take him as your personal lord and savior?
Can I have the verses where he said you should take him for that and where he also said that one would perish for not taking him as personal lord and savior?

Thanks
Re: Who Is God? by weebee(f): 11:33am On Feb 05, 2008
Forever oh Lord
Thy word is settled
in Heaven it is settled ([singing)

God is God no matter what u say
Your comments do not reduce or increase Him
He is God and He does not change

God doesnt not beg people to accept him because he has given us the free will
He says i put before you life and death and he advises us to choose life that we may live.
So its a matter of choice and everybody will reap the consequences of our choices someday

Heaven and Hell are real.

Accept Jesus, believe in God and avoid sins then you will make heaven
If at the end of the day you now discover there is no God, then you wouldnt have anything to lose
But on the contrary if you dont accept Him and die in your sins for you to discover there is God shocked, I wonder where you are going to hide then.
Re: Who Is God? by samba123(m): 4:19pm On Feb 07, 2008
Allah (swt ), says
And I created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship me. I seek not any provision from them, nor do I ask that they should feed Me. Verily, Allah is the All-provider, Owner of Power - Most Strong" (Qur'an 51:56)

Allah (swt ), says:
" And verily, We have sent among every community a Messenger [proclaiming]: "Worship Allah [Alone] and avoid the Taaghoot .1 Then of them were some whom Allah guided, and of them were some upon whom the straying was justified. So travel through the land and see what was the end of those who denied [the truth]" (Qur'an 16:36)

Allah (swt ), says:
" And your Rabb has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect [uff!], nor shout at them, but address them in terms of honour. And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: "My Rabb! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was a child."" (Qur'an 17:23-24)

Allah (swt ), says:
" Worship Allah and join none with Him in worship, and do good to parents, kinfolk, orphans, the poor, the neighbour who is near of kin, the neighbour who is a stranger, the companion by your side, the wayfarer and those [slaves] whom your right hands possess. Verily, Allah does not love those who are proud and boastful" (Qur'an 4:36)

Allah (swt ), says:
" Say [oh, Muhammad!]: "Come, I will recite what your Rabb has prohibited for you: Join not anything in worship with him; be good and dutiful to your parents; kill not your children because of poverty - We provide sustenance for you and for them; come not near to shameful sin [adultery, fornication etc.], whether committed openly or in secret, and kill not anyone whom Allah has forbidden except for a just cause [in accordance with Islamic Law]. This has He commanded you that you may understand" (Qur'an 6:151)
Re: Who Is God? by Kuns: 5:02pm On Feb 07, 2008
People love the painting drawn by the 15th Century artist Michelangelo that is displayed in the Sistine Chapel in Rome. Where did this concept come from, drawing the Gods, Neteru on walls for all to see and tell a story with it? It came from Egypt. (Not the Egypt you see today)

That’s right, hieroglyphics of Egypt—it came from us. The painting is called The Creation, and portrays a so-called God pointing a finger to create Adam. So again, God is being depicted as a physical being. The Christians personify God in their image to form the many statues that don the many crosses in Christianity. Muslims symbolically present God in a black stone in the corner of a cube-shaped building in Mecca. Yet, when Egipt says it (God can be a physical being) and uses the Bible and Koran to back it up—he’s called a blasphemer.

Egipt teaches that a God is anything in control. The arrow tip that takes the life is God over death. The sperm and ovum meeting in procreation in life is God in life. The nourishment in food for health is God of health. The bacterium in sickness is God of sickness. ANYTHING IN CONTROL IS A GOD.
Re: Who Is God? by Maykelly(f): 4:06pm On Feb 08, 2008
God IS IAM THAT IAM. THE BEGINING AND THE END
Re: Who Is God? by bodsibobo(m): 1:56am On Feb 09, 2008
Hi all,

Can I ask a question from those of you who says there is no God? Especially to Idinrete who says the writers of the bible know no science etc.

I myself have been thinking of this for some time now. You see I did a bit of science before I went into accounting (at least I had an A2 in physics in WASCE O level.)

I look at the universe or the solar system as science have taught us with all the many bodies; sun, moon, the stars, earth, mars, venus, pluto et al; and I hope you know that there are many millions of them.
Science makes us know that all these bodies are in motion either rotating or revolving or both. All these bodies have been in these motions for years, many, many years.

I try to imagine that if these bodies are left to randomly move as they do on their own, there is no way that they would remain in such perfect motions and positions that they are now and have ever maintained.

My question is do you really believe there is no 'influence' on the organised motion(s) of all these bodies in the solar system that they have at no time crashed into each other?

I know science made several attempts at explaining with several 'laws' such as Newton's laws of motion; Law of universal gravitaion etc, etc. Yes but think beyond these 'laws' and look at the very basics.

Methinks the fine order we have in the solar system is the biggest proof we have of God's existence because if there was no 'influence' from him, the whole planet/solar system would have crashed.

P.s. Please don't even raise the issue of the so-called "Big-Bang-Theory".
To me, the big band was what happened in Genesis when God created the heavens and the earth!!!
Re: Who Is God? by IDINRETE: 5:51pm On Feb 09, 2008
what Genesis
Re: Who Is God? by bodsibobo(m): 10:10pm On Feb 09, 2008
The book of Genesis in the Bible of course. What else? undecided

And you know another thing, Archeology, and the whole of science if compared to the whole of the Bible (with an un-biased mind of course) proves the more and more of the truth of the Bible and of God's existence.
Re: Who Is God? by smile4kenn(m): 5:42pm On Feb 16, 2008
God is a Supreme Being. The Father of the fathers
Re: Who Is God? by kolaoloye(m): 4:10pm On Feb 18, 2008
GOD IS THE ONE THAT MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE
READING RIGHT NOW. FOR HIS MERCIES YOU ARE NOT CONSUMED. THAT IS GOD--THE
CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE,THE UNCHANGABLE CHANGER. I BOW FOR GOD O.
WITHOUT HIM NOTHING WAS CREATED INCLUDING YOU.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls OLAADEGBU,JJyou, Davidylan And Others, Can I Ask You Random Questions Here? / Why Arent There Any Nigerian Saints In Christianity? / Religious Violence In Nigeria: Boko Haram As A Tool Of Religious, Political & Foreign Interests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.