Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,598 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment (13257 Views)

Revealed: Practices In Nigerian Banks That Will Shock You / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by publisher(m): 9:47am On Jun 21, 2012
I have been made to understand that in order to increase your chances of getting a good job in certain Nigerian banks,you must belong to the right ethnic group.

Here's what i mean:
Wema bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Skye bank - favours Yoruba jobseekers
Unity bank - favours Hausa/ Northern Jobseekers
Zenith - favours Deltans/Delta Igbos
GTB - favours Yorubas
Diamond bank - favours Igbos
Access bank - favours Yorubas/Edos
Fidelity bank - favours Igbos
Union bank - favours Igbos
UBA - neutral
Fcmb - favours Yorubas
First bank - neutral

So people, is this gist true?

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by tanimola22: 1:02pm On Jun 21, 2012
That was how a group of people claimed that getting top oil jobs could mostly be achieved by being connected to the right people. We all know that this claim has been consistently disproved on nairaland.

Your observation is a good one. Let us wait to hear what people have to say.

T22.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by drealsirhid: 4:36pm On Jun 21, 2012
The above fact has some element of merits if closely looked at. However, the fact remains that you must be connected to enter anywhere.......even in ur ''ethnic'' bank sad. so This statement might not be far from the truth afterall.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by inspirenet: 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2012
d_realsirhid: The above fact has some element of merits if closely looked at. However, the fact remains that you must be connected to enter anywhere.......even in ur ''ethnic'' bank sad. so This statement might not be far from the truth afterall.
smiley
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by sophy09: 4:40pm On Jun 21, 2012
So true, depends on the tribe the Human Resources Manager as well as the M.D. Most times the M.D and the Human Resources Manager are from the same tribe.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by DisGuy: 4:46pm On Jun 21, 2012
wont rule it out!

I mean why would private companies require applicants to include their LGA, and state of Origin etc on their CV

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 21, 2012
liar! If you are very briliant and get what they need, you have chances of getting the job most of the time. I have many friends in bank that got the job legally without bias and not as the same tribe as the directors and chairmen.
BUT some ladies with big and thick 'ikebe' may get job faster than any body regardless of their tribe. I was in then bank phb trainning school and majority of the ladies in our set got that.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by alaoeri: 4:48pm On Jun 21, 2012
Its true τ̲̅ȍ some extent let's say 75% despite that Ʊ still need connection, 9ja factor now.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by blumail: 4:49pm On Jun 21, 2012
Dont really have facts per se but I observed, on T.V, once the C.E.O or one big shot of the bank is from one tribe, many of the other workers especially the high ranking ones are also from that tribe. If this is really the trend, then too bad... cry
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by GboyegaD(m): 4:49pm On Jun 21, 2012
Although in some locations, some banks have been observed to have more staff of some particular tribe nevertheless, I do not support the argument that there is tribalism. Take for instance, your conclusion of Skye Bank, have you ever considered that most of the banks that merged to become Skye Bank were banks thriving in the West thus, they had more branches in the West which makes it seem like a Yoruba Bank like you called it. I think it is just circumstance and people are now trying to add some sentimental flavors to it.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by pato405(m): 4:50pm On Jun 21, 2012
go to FCMB (or has it been bought over now undecided undecided undecided) or GTB and do your research.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Shokoloko(f): 4:52pm On Jun 21, 2012
from experience any tribe may be employed by firstbank but to rise fast to the top you must must be yoruba. if your from any other tribe its possible but you will surely pay your dues. but if your yoruba its smooth sailing. from experience

3 Likes

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Abujafood: 4:54pm On Jun 21, 2012
Op there might be some truth in the points you made but I think to a large extent it might be mere co-incidence. What would you say about Zenith Bank branch in Yola or Lokoja? GT bank has a lot of Igbos working for it at least in the Abuja branches I have visited and done business with.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by vitality22(m): 4:57pm On Jun 21, 2012
4bobo: liar! If you are very briliant and get what they need, you have chances of getting the job most of the time. I have many friends in bank that got the job legally without bias and not as the same tribe as the directors and chairmen.
BUT some ladies with big and thick 'ikebe' may get job faster than any body regardless of their tribe. I was in then bank phb trainning school and majority of the ladies in our set got that.
Chei bros, very very true grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by otokx(m): 5:01pm On Jun 21, 2012
Interesting
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by JahMan1: 5:04pm On Jun 21, 2012
Banks as far as i have researched are the only institutions that employ based on merit.
However when you enter,you can be frustrated based on the tribe thingy u mentioned.especially the Skye,FCMB,GTB,WEMA.
Mind you the complaint I hear is that FBN is 'Yoruba' infested.
Just hearing about UBN and Igbo shaa.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by mbulela: 5:04pm On Jun 21, 2012
Dis Guy: wont rule it out!

I mean why would private companies require applicants to include their LGA, and state of Origin etc on their CV
I have always found that requirement lousy and backward.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Maxdiamond(m): 5:13pm On Jun 21, 2012
Dis country does nt worth living in..i notice dat there is tribalism in every bank.dis happen in all d bank in nigeria..d only opportunity u av if u are nt frm a particular tribe wit bank HR MANAGER will be dat if u are a girl/lady with big "boobs & ikebe super",u stand a chance of geting dat job either banks,oil company,multinational cooperation etc.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by saintneo(m): 5:16pm On Jun 21, 2012
The OP's post might be true. However, I can confirm to you that as an Igbo boy, I worked in FCMB(first job), I didn't know anyone in FCMB but I was in an executive meeting involving the MD of FCMB on my first week at work. Don't ask me the position I was then, it was all the favour of God, my intelligence and my wits.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by sweetjummie(f): 5:26pm On Jun 21, 2012
The op is abut 80% right,bliv me u wud not want to be an emeka or uche working in GTB or FCMB,or be an Ade or kola working in a bank like diamond or fidelity,it cud get frutrasting at times for u, interms and promotion and career progression,even in central bank too wen joseph sanusi was d cbn Governor,majority of d staffs dat were recruited during his tenor were yorubas,he practically flooded cbn wit yorubas,under d present gov too,saniso lamido sanusi,must of d staffs dat were employ just last year were mostly hausas,so I guess dat naija for u ooo
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Afam4eva(m): 5:26pm On Jun 21, 2012
There's some truth in what the OP has said. I noticed that there are too many Igbos in Zenith bank. While, you find more Yorubas in First Bank and and Wema bank.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by KayDee4: 5:34pm On Jun 21, 2012
publisher: I have been made to understand that in order to increase your chances of getting a good job in certain Nigerian banks,you must belong to the right ethnic group.

Here's what i mean:
GTB - favours Yorubas
UBA - neutral
Fcmb - favours Yorubas
First bank - neutral

Most likely false.

I know the oil and gas companies work with the quota system which they declare openly, but I seriously doubt it is the same for other institutions.

That you must be connected or come from a certain ethnic group to get employed in an organization is a misleading impression. It may be the case in some instances but more often than not, people walk in based on merit.

publisher: I have been made to understand that in order to increase your chances of getting a good job in certain Nigerian banks,you must belong to the right ethnic group.

I hope you don't hinder your chances yourself back because of this impression.

Asking for State of origin, LGA and religion is merely for statistical and demographic purposes.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jun 21, 2012
4bobo: liar! If you are very briliant and get what they need, you have chances of getting the job most of the time. I have many friends in bank that got the job legally without bias and not as the same tribe as the directors and chairmen.

It seems you are still very young. Your friend told you that they were employed on merit and you believe them, what of other sacrifice? Although one may not totally rule out merit but a lot of candidates also posses this merit vying for few positions. The only way other than ethnicity/who you know/merit is divine favour.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by lakesider(m): 5:49pm On Jun 21, 2012
Eko bank employ only igbo s i can never never do business with them.i m yet to discover it in other banks
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by kaycenet(m): 5:49pm On Jun 21, 2012
Most Nigerian Banks will employ you based on two things: Merit or deposit. Merit will work for you whether you are a rookie or experienced person especially if there is a manning gap.I have personally benefitted from this without knowing anybody and my tribe was never a factor.
Promise any Nigerian Bank a deposit of N5 Billion for example,am sure you will be employed irrespective of your tribe and qualification.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by dayokanu(m): 6:09pm On Jun 21, 2012
The worst is Diamond bank

You would go to their branches in Lagos or Abeokuta and they would be filled with Igbos

I am not sure if GTB or Skye bank in Owerri is filled with Yorubas

1 Like

Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Afam4eva(m): 6:10pm On Jun 21, 2012
lakesider: Eko bank employ only igbo s i can never never do business with them.i m yet to discover it in other banks
Isn't eko bank supposed be a Yoruba bank?
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 21, 2012

I have to agree with you for the most part. I had gone into a bank in Abuja in Maitama district area and it doesn't look anything like bank to me but a beauty pageant show. For every lady that passed me by, I kept saying "chineke" (God). Is it a coincidence that all of them are light skinned.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by floriana(m): 6:17pm On Jun 21, 2012
Zenith Bank does not favour all Deltans o. It favours only Deltans from Agbor. Number one and two in the bank currently are from Agbor. Top management is also heavily populated by Agbor people. Jim Ovia is an illustrious son of Agbor town.
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by ebamma(m): 6:18pm On Jun 21, 2012
were did u get your statistics from
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by jason123: 6:18pm On Jun 21, 2012
From a family member's experience and a friend's experience, DIAMOND BANK is the worst of them all. You hardly ever find a person from another ethnic group. Other banks still employ other ethnic groups even though it can be difficult but Diamond Never!!! If you like, get a PhD in economics and finance, do ICAN tire, you no go still get the job if you are not Igbo. Even if the branch is in Warri, Ibadan, Jos, Bauchi etc.

If you are not Igbo and you got a job in Diamond bank, GOD really loves you!

PS: This is not to say Igbos are tribalists etc. Diamond bank is just a different kettle all together!
Re: Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment by dayokanu(m): 6:21pm On Jun 21, 2012

Here's what i mean:
GTB - favours Yorubas
UBA - neutral
Fcmb - favours Yorubas
First bank - neutral

Wema Bank is partly owned by Oodua Investment company

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tayo Aderinokun, GTBank CEO, Passes On / National Association Of Unemployed Graduates Openly Invites Trustees And Members / Life As A Consultant...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.