Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,902 members, 7,799,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? (4991 Views)

Most Web Developers Are Guilty Of This / Free Ebook For Developers From Packt.limited Time Offer / How To Prevent Hired Developers From Stealing Your Source Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by auwal87(m): 11:50pm On Jun 21, 2012
I have been trying to figure out the reasons why most Nigeria's developers haled from Lagos. Being most developed state in Nigeria, doesn't mean it should produce all the developers. This is not a criticism, I want to know how Lagos came about to produce such number so that the same method can be applied in other states.

Millions of jobs can be created in web development, by creating demand not only from Nigerians, but from outside the country, like the way Indian developers are in demand, it will seriously ease unemployment and bring some sanity especially in the North.

For example; Earning $50 per week as a freelancer is conservatively possible, that is equivalent to N8,000 roughly, or N32,000 monthly. This is just a conservative figure, a freelancer can earn much more than this.

If we can bring about a solution to this, we can presumably change the lives of so many Nigerians.

Please let's have a constructive discussion about this issue.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Afam4eva(m): 6:31am On Jun 22, 2012
Lagos is the most developedf and enlightened city in Nigeria, so, you're bound to have more web afficionados than anywhere else.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by databoy247(m): 9:05am On Jun 22, 2012
Talking about web developers and money making. I have always nursed the idea of majority of us coming together (even if its not done in other countries, it can be done here in Nigeria) and kinda setting up a union. We hold a developers conference, were a decision can be reached on maybe setting up a body that regulates the web developers business. I believe with this, activities will be co-ordinated and proper records can be kept. Now, with this it will be easier to create a freelance web portal where all webmasters can be registered. Possible clients (around the world) can easily seek out freelancers from the portal and in no time Nigerian web developers will be "occupied". This freelance portal will be controlled by the registered regulatory body and if this happens, in no time, Nigerians will be known across the globe as a center for web development. Trust me, we do have some great developers and programmers. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by DualCore1: 9:27am On Jun 22, 2012
databoy247: Talking about web developers and money making. I have always nursed the idea of majority of us coming together (even if its not done in other countries, it can be done here in Nigeria) and kinda setting up a union. We hold a developers conference, were a decision can be reached on maybe setting up a body that regulates the web developers business. I believe with this, activities will be co-ordinated and proper records can be kept. Now, with this it will be easier to create a freelance web portal where all webmasters can be registered. Possible clients (around the world) can easily seek out freelancers from the portal and in no time Nigerian web developers will be "occupied". This freelance portal will be controlled by the registered regulatory body and if this happens, in no time, Nigerians will be known across the globe as a center for web development. Trust me, we do have some great developers and programmers. cool
A conference of Joomla and Drupal installers, you mean? tongue

Nice idea you have brought up for the web developers though. This board alone does not have up to 10 web developers.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by databoy247(m): 10:16am On Jun 22, 2012
Dual Core:
A conference of Joomla and Drupal installers, you mean? tongue

Believe me, some people will get paid just to help install joomla and drupal. So also, others who will get paid just to design logos for websites, and also plenty of money for linux server administrators also wink
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 22, 2012
I am from Lagos, i think it is a coincidence. . . .

As for income, hmmn, most developers in my circle make at least 50 - 100k monthly (am talking of freelancers here).
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by auwal87(m): 10:34am On Jun 22, 2012
databoy247:

Believe me, some people will get paid just to help install joomla and drupal. So also, others who will get paid just to design logos for websites, and also plenty of money for linux server administrators also wink

An average price of a logo is $30 (which is equiv. to N4,500), a freelance graphics designer can design 3 to 5 logos every week, which will generate N13,500 for him/her. I say this is more than enough to take care of family of 4 in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by databoy247(m): 10:38am On Jun 22, 2012
^^^^ errmmm, so if i design 3 logos, install 4 joomla, customize 3 wordpress, and develop 2 contents i should be talking about over 100k a month shey? grin

@Dual core/dhtml, una see say i nor need to be coder before i begin chop money from web business cool
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by auwal87(m): 10:42am On Jun 22, 2012
databoy247: Talking about web developers and money making. I have always nursed the idea of majority of us coming together (even if its not done in other countries, it can be done here in Nigeria) and kinda setting up a union. We hold a developers conference, were a decision can be reached on maybe setting up a body that regulates the web developers business. I believe with this, activities will be co-ordinated and proper records can be kept. Now, with this it will be easier to create a freelance web portal where all webmasters can be registered. Possible clients (around the world) can easily seek out freelancers from the portal and in no time Nigerian web developers will be "occupied". This freelance portal will be controlled by the registered regulatory body and if this happens, in no time, Nigerians will be known across the globe as a center for web development. Trust me, we do have some great developers and programmers. cool

The work of the Nigerian Computer Society should have involved what you suggested, but I cannot see any benefit of this body to date. undecided
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by auwal87(m): 10:47am On Jun 22, 2012
databoy247: ^^^^ errmmm, so if i design 3 logos, install 4 joomla, customize 3 wordpress, and develop 2 contents i should be talking about over 100k a month shey? grin

@Dual core/dhtml, una see say i nor need to be coder before i begin chop money from web business cool

What drives demand to India was cheap prices per hour, if an American is working at $60 - $80 per hour, then an Indian will work for you at $30 to $50 per hour, in must cases with the same result. So a Nigerian can also drive demand by giving the same quality as Indians at a lesser price, maybe starting from $15 to $50 per hour.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 22, 2012
auwal87:

An average price of a logo is $30 (which is equiv. to N4,500), a freelance graphics designer can design 3 to 5 logos every week, which will generate N13,500 for him/her. I say this is more than enough to take care of family of 4 in Nigeria.

When i said at least - i meant if you do just one single job, even if it is low-budget - you can make 50 to 100k straight up. And you can make that in less than 24 hours too. Just saying. . . (notice i used the word least)
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by auwal87(m): 11:17am On Jun 22, 2012
*dhtml:

When i said at least - i meant if you do just one single job, even if it is low-budget - you can make 50 to 100k straight up. And you can make that in less than 24 hours too. Just saying. . . (notice i used the word least)

Oh yes, I was just elaborating more on what you said.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by ajoguegbe(m): 12:01pm On Jun 22, 2012
Of course, Lagos population is one, but again that population is filled with enlightened people with very high demand for sophistication.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by talk2hb1(m): 12:28pm On Jun 22, 2012
One Nigeria developers are yet to meet local demand, what I meant by local demand is that there are few competent expert in all over Nigeria. The few that are available are mostly busy to be running after foreign job that will pay less than what they can earn from those oyinbos forming a society is not the issue but having enough hands to fill in the gap is the problem. I'm part of a team developing an application that will soon go public, the lead team developer is in Belgium while the rest of the team is scattered across the country everybody communicate via skype whenever there is an issue to be fixed. This oyinbo guy was employed 2yrs back then when they couldn't get competent hand to handle the job, so I think when we have enough people to fill in the gap the job will come knocking on our door. Even those who said they are installing Joomla and wordpress they cant even install it properly to now talk of those calling there self developer abeg go find job for yourself, help those who are willing to be helped and leave the rest.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by niddamugu(m): 12:44pm On Jun 22, 2012
ajoguegbe: Of course, Lagos population is one, but again that population is filled with enlightened people with very high demand for sophistication.

In addition, the facilities/infrastructures are easily accessible.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by crackhouse(m): 12:59pm On Jun 22, 2012
Because Lagos houses abt 1/4 of Nigeria's population.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by info4bayempire: 1:13pm On Jun 22, 2012
I Reside in the North(kaduna).Add me on info4bayempire@gmail.com on gtalk let's get to interact.I have a great deal of information I will like to share so let's come together and make it a success. Whether you new or existing developer let's get talking who knows where your next client may come from.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by funkymedina: 1:20pm On Jun 22, 2012
Lagos is the commercial capital of Naija. Those r were majority who need websites and logos for their businesses r. I can't program but I am mean with Wordpress and can add small codes to child thems for desired results. There is nothing new under the sun and any adjustments needed to a site has a solution in some forum somewhere. U mean people like me r calling themselves web designers in Naija? Hahaha, I dey here, I must return home n come n make 100k installing wp and joomla grin
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by musulumi(m): 1:24pm On Jun 22, 2012
One day, Harvey, an American Author was asked why it was just too hard for Chicago to hire professional. His response was very direct: "bacause that is where they all come from"
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by GideonG(m): 1:24pm On Jun 22, 2012
Same reasons why Silicon Valley has better programmers compare to anywhere in America. Followed by Boston and New York.

Same reasons why Hip Hop music is concentrated in few American cities like New York, Los Angeles,Miami, Atlanta, St Louis,Claveland,Chicago.
But Los Angeles, New York and Atlanta rules...

I am a programmer for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 22, 2012
auwal87: I have been trying to figure out the reasons why most Nigeria's developers haled from Lagos. Being most developed state in Nigeria, doesn't mean it should produce all the developers. This is not a criticism, I want to know how Lagos came about to produce such number so that the same method can be applied in other states.

Millions of jobs can be created in web development, by creating demand not only from Nigerians, but from outside the country, like the way Indian developers are in demand, it will seriously ease unemployment and bring some sanity especially in the North.

For example; Earning $50 per week as a freelancer is conservatively possible, that is equivalent to N8,000 roughly, or N32,000 monthly. This is just a conservative figure, a freelancer can earn much more than this.

If we can bring about a solution to this, we can presumably change the lives of so many Nigerians.

you are jst bored...probably jst want to make a post.... Shouldnt hav made d front page
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by mrperfect(m): 2:29pm On Jun 22, 2012
Developers go where market is.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by barin24(m): 3:10pm On Jun 22, 2012
auwal87:

You must be living under a rock..
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by slimming: 3:47pm On Jun 22, 2012
That is where the money is possible.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by omega7ky: 3:56pm On Jun 22, 2012
info4bayempire: I Reside in the North(kaduna).Add me on info4bayempire@gmail.com on gtalk let's get to interact.I have a great deal of information I will like to share so let's come together and make it a success. Whether you new or existing developer let's get talking who knows where your next client may come from.
pls i will like to interact with you because am in kaduna and trying to get fammilaized with the web develpment...pls how can we relate based on this topic am very new in kaduna.... u can call me on this number 08050523364....I will expecting your call thanks
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by yemmy19(m): 4:37pm On Jun 22, 2012
auwal87: I have been trying to figure out the reasons why most Nigeria's developers haled from Lagos. Being most developed state in Nigeria, doesn't mean it should produce all the developers. This is not a criticism, I want to know how Lagos came about to produce such number so that the same method can be applied in other states.

Lagos is a place where pple embrace any available opportunity.Lagos is Nigerias small London,nd its a cosmopolitann city W̶̲̥̅̊н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇e̶̲̥̅̊r̶̲̥̅̊e̶̲̥̅̊ pple of different cultures runs thngs
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by guru01(m): 5:29pm On Jun 22, 2012
Having said all these. What NEXT!!!
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by taharqa: 5:41pm On Jun 22, 2012
*dhtml:
I am from Lagos, i think it is a coincidence. . . .

As for income, hmmn, most developers in my circle make at least 50 - 100k monthly (am talking of freelancers here).
guy where dis ya circle dey?here where i am(not lagos) dere is little work even 4 gud ones like us,so where rili(locatn,field) re dese opportunities even if they re freelance.tanks
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by lumeneng22: 6:06pm On Jun 22, 2012
My brother, its a matter of interest and commerce oriented city/location couple with empowerment. Look at the cashless thing also lagos is being use as a pilot scheme. As for the north, forget it cos they are more interested in using guns, bomb and daga to forment trouble.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 22, 2012
info4bayempire: I Reside in the North(kaduna).Add me on info4bayempire@gmail.com on gtalk let's get to interact.I have a great deal of information I will like to share so let's come together and make it a success. Whether you new or existing developer let's get talking who knows where your next client may come from.
wonders shall never end. Wetin come concern aboki with website. Talking of ideas hope is not for making bomb detornators. Ndi ara.
Re: Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jun 22, 2012
yea

(1) (2) (Reply)

What You Should Do First After Buying A Fresh Adsense Account / Naija Or Nigerian, Which Is Better For Domain Name? / Buy A Domain In Nigeria At $1 With Godaddy Discount Coupon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.