Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? (11661 Views)

Why Do Atheist Hate Something That Doesn' Exit. / Why Do Atheist Hate Only The "Christian God"? / Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by mctemmy(f): 11:21am On Jun 22, 2012
When atheist have anything to do in law court be it marriage or legal case.

In whose name do they swear to the oath of truth?
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by tintingz(m): 12:09pm On Jun 22, 2012
mctemmy: When atheist av anytin to do in law court be it marriage or legal case,in whose name du they swear to d oath of truth?
good question. Me sef wan knw, buh d way am tinkin dey sworn in what their family believe in
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by mctemmy(f): 12:33pm On Jun 22, 2012
I tink its nt a family issue its a individual decision so u tink u r nt ryt ooo!atheist do nt believe in any god!
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 22, 2012
Smh...
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by AtheistD(m): 12:51pm On Jun 22, 2012
I don't think it matters. The court of law as an imstitution has enough power to hold up any oath. This means if you lie in you can be punished regardless of religious beliefs. Hence it matters not to which deity an oath is made to.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by logicboy01: 1:16pm On Jun 22, 2012
Atheists dont swear to anybody. A liar will lie even with the oath to God.

We just make the same oath and leave out the God part.

5 Likes

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by inspirenet: 1:28pm On Jun 22, 2012
Atheist:-D:
I don't think it matters. The court of law as an imstitution has enough power to hold up any oath. This means if you lie in you can be punished regardless of religious beliefs. Hence it matters not to which deity an oath is made to.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 22, 2012
Atheist:-D:

GODamnit shocked grin Does that sound familiar too ?
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Simba757(m): 1:56pm On Jun 22, 2012
Atheists are required to 'SOLEMNLY AFFIRM'.
That's the right reserved for them in the court of law.

4 Likes

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by greatgod2012(f): 2:11pm On Jun 22, 2012
no swearing at all
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by meetkris(m): 2:14pm On Jun 22, 2012
Simba757: Atheists are required to 'SOLEMNLY AFFIRM'.
very well said.that's the position.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by trent9002(m): 2:14pm On Jun 22, 2012
we swear by Illuminati. Mtchewww.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by tunapawizzy: 2:27pm On Jun 22, 2012
In d name of GEJ

1 Like

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by begwong: 2:44pm On Jun 22, 2012
In d name of mammy water
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 22, 2012
Simba757: Atheists are required to 'SOLEMNLY AFFIRM'.
_
@OP, there's your answer.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by uche13: 3:04pm On Jun 22, 2012
[quote author=SimonAndal]
_
@OP, there's your answer.[/quote

This right does not solely belong to the atheist but to anybody who does not want to swear but affirm either muslim or christian
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Akpan107(m): 3:06pm On Jun 22, 2012
mctemmy: I tink its nt a family issue its a individual decision so u tink u r nt ryt ooo!atheist do nt believe in any god!
This is not the answer to the question!
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Akpan107(m): 3:07pm On Jun 22, 2012
mctemmy: I tink its nt a family issue its a individual decision so u tink u r nt ryt ooo!atheist do nt believe in any god!
This is not the answer to the question! The question says '' in whose name do the Atheist swear in''?
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Akpan107(m): 3:11pm On Jun 22, 2012
Akpan107: This is not the answer to the question! The question says '' in whose name do the Atheist swear in''?
we know they don't believe in God, that is why they called ''Atheist''
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by mctemmy(f): 3:21pm On Jun 22, 2012
Fine we knw dey don't believe in God so don't they take oath in court??christians swear by God and muslims by allah!.....so do atheists swear by logic or science or whatever? Dats d simple question written in plain english language!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by logicboy01: 3:26pm On Jun 22, 2012
mctemmy: Fine we knw dey don't believe in God so don't they take oath in court??christians swear by God and muslims by allah!.....so do atheists swear by logic or science or whatever? Dats d simple question written in plain english language!!!!!!!!!!!

For at least 20 or 30 years, courts have accepted the concept of a secular oath against perjury.

Oddly enough, it wasn't an atheist who cause such an oath to exist. I don't recall which denomination it was, but a really seriously fundamentalist person refused to swear to God because swearing to God was forbidden by his religion. In essence, his religion believed that God stayed in church and had no place in a courtroom because a courtroom is a secular place. So it was actually an unusually devout Christian who is responsible for the existence of secular oaths.

Basically, the oath says you will tell the truth in the matter before the court and you acknowledge that perjury is the crime of lying to the court during testimony

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100804173933AAsmpxD

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by mctemmy(f): 3:29pm On Jun 22, 2012
@logic pls can u kindly give an example of a template of an athesist taking oath in court?
Example I mr king do hereby in d name of God (with bible or quoran held at his right hand)promise to tell d truth and nothing but the whole truth so help mi God!!!.
Wud u pls gimme d atheist version of d above?any atheist can help plzzz
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by slimming: 3:31pm On Jun 22, 2012
By him/herself of course, no harm intended to God.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by logicboy01: 3:33pm On Jun 22, 2012
mctemmy: @logic pls can u kindly give an example of a template of an athesist taking oath in court?
Example I mr king do hereby in d name of God (with bible or quoran held at his right hand)promise to tell d truth and nothing but the whole truth so help mi God!!!.
Wud u pls gimme d atheist version of d above?any atheist can help plzzz

I, Mr. King, promise to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.

2 Likes

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by scopusng(m): 3:43pm On Jun 22, 2012
All the deluded atheists answer this simple question and stop hiding. Fooolsss

2 Likes

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by logicboy01: 3:44pm On Jun 22, 2012
scopusng: All the deluded atheists answer this simple question and stop hiding. Fooolsss

How very christian of you to call people fools. angry
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 22, 2012
Thor

1 Like

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by logicboy01: 4:26pm On Jun 22, 2012
Zediccus: Thor

Why not the seeker or the mother confessor?

1 Like

Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 22, 2012
logicboy01:

Why not the seeker or the mother confessor?
_
lol! You really made my day. And here I was practicing taekwando with mosquitoes and having my arse handed to me.
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by logicboy01: 5:55pm On Jun 22, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
lol! You really made my day. And here I was practicing taekwando with mosquitoes and having my arse handed to me.

hahaha
Re: In Whose Name Do Atheist Swear In Court? by Barristerlaw(m): 6:34pm On Jun 22, 2012
It is not mandatory that a person must swear an oath with bible,quran,iron or whatever.the most important thing is for a witness to take an oath to tell the truth before giving evidence in court.this oath taking can either be in form of swearing in the name of God or you can choose to affirm.being a xtian or muslim does not mean it is mandatory for you to swear by God.you can decide to affirm and your oath goes thus:'i ......do solemnly affirm dt anything i shall say in this matter b4 ds court shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth,so i affirm'.you affirm by raising up your right hand.
With due respect , some of the contributors are either ignorant of rights to freedom of conscience,association and religion as entrenched by the constitution or that they dont see anything good in whatever that is outside their beliefs.i dont see a reason why ,somebody, because of his belief refuses to swear by God's name should be attacked.what is the purpose of swearing in God's name when we know that we are going to lie.TAFA BALOGUN Swore with quran but lied,JAMES IBORI swore with bible and denied all the allegations levelled against him in court.criminals either swear wt the bible or quran but they will proceed to say 'not guilty'.does swearing in God's and lie make a criminal a saint or not swearing in God's name make an atheist a criminal?.we trivialise God and bring him into everything even though we are not Godly .we criticise people that are not of our belief even though we are not saint.we dont want to see reason in others'bco we are not in the same camp.to my mind,religious belief should be a personal issue,once we start seing ourselves as superior then that is the begining of an end!one of such trend is boko haram.indeed there are many more boko haram in thought than the real boko haram.in fact,there is no place where bible or quran is mentioned in the constitution but rather it sees us as citizens of this country.one love regardless of our belief

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Prophets Speaks On Cause Of Ebony’s Death, She Went For Juju (video) / Household Enemies, Wickedness And Witchcraft / ~UPDATED~ Rules And Regulations Of The Religion Forum ~UPDATED~

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.