Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,240 members, 7,807,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4389962 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Isaleeko2: 4:30pm On Jul 10, 2012
Baba_Eleko: I'm not a father yet. Have girlfriends. No wife either. Neither im i planning marriage anytime soon but just reading from this thread makes me wann knock up someone so bad. The way yall talk about these kids is just too cute and adoring. Awwww.

You better not go and knock someone up if you are not ready to be with them. The poster is even lucky that his baby sleeps 6 hrs through the night and his is complaining. My first baby, now 7 months, gave us a hell of a time as she would not sleep for more than two hours at a stretch during the night. But she would go 4 - 6 hrs straight during the day.

They are cute and cuddly but once they start crawling around from 6 months sticking everything in sight into their mouth and rolling off the bed and chairs, it ain't funny at all.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jeddyMay(f): 4:34pm On Jul 10, 2012
Chaydee:

Fashola must have mastered one sided sleep, no wonder his head is Flat
grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pendo89(f): 4:37pm On Jul 10, 2012
If u can do away with dummy suckers try to do so.

Disadvantages;

Speech problems - Sucking on a dummy during waking hours means that babies miss out on the essential babble and chatter that plays a vital role in their early speech development

Dental problems - Daily use also has implications for teeth development, particularly in older infants. Teeth can become deformed and may not grow properly, leading to problems that have to be corrected later on.

Ear infections - There is some evidence that the frequent use of dummies can cause infections of the middle ear

Stomach bugs - Diarrhea, vomiting and other stomach-bug type infections are also more common with babies that frequently use dummies

Nipple confusion
- Use of dummies on a daily basis may also interfere with breast feeding, either by causing nipple confusion (whereby baby finds it difficult to adjust to suckling on their mother's nipple after an aesthetically shaped teat) or by reducing milk production in the mother as a result of less comfort feeding.

At least that is all I could google,but just let the baby grow freely with lots of freedom. smiley smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Chaydee(m): 6:14pm On Jul 10, 2012
andyanders: [i][/i]

I dey laughooooooooooooooo. No bi Fashola I talkooooooooo. embarassed
jonalatan abi grin grin grin
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by elords: 6:33pm On Jul 10, 2012
ayobarmy: Mummies pls how safe it is for an 8weeks old baby boy to sleep on his chest??
it is ok, even beta immediately afta delivery

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maasoap(m): 6:44pm On Jul 10, 2012
ayobarmy: Mummies pls how safe it is for an 8weeks old baby boy to sleep on his chest??
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maasoap(m): 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2012
Not good at all. I read it at babycenter.com that it is the major cause of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) if the baby should be in that position for long period. You can check it up.

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pak: 6:48pm On Jul 10, 2012
Isale_eko:

You better not go and knock someone up if you are not ready to be with them. The poster is even lucky that his baby sleeps 6 hrs through the night and his is complaining. My first baby, now 7 months, gave us a hell of a time as she would not sleep for more than two hours at a stretch during the night. But she would go 4 - 6 hrs straight during the day.

They are cute and cuddly but once they start crawling around from 6 months sticking everything in sight into their mouth and rolling off the bed and chairs, it ain't funny at all.

Am not a woman (and obviously not a new mum) but the way you guys have been going on about babies staying awake at night just makes me smile. I think my wife will be a very happy person especially as regards that because I've. been a night person long since my sec school days.
Right now, though am not married but I end up staying awake at nite most of the time. Sometimes I think its a disorder of sorts but then am not bothered cos it favours my Job (am into IT) and nothing's cooler than working at night (and I also have the flexibility of deciding wether to go to the office or not if am not meeting clients ).
3 nights ago, I had to take a six hour trip early the next day(I was driving) and I could not sleep until about 3.AM in the morning. It was plain crazy. I just had to pick two random people on the way (A couple) to keep me from dozing on the wheels.

Anyway with what am seeing on this thread, I think I'll just keep up the habit until I've finished raising babies then I'll seek a solution wink
Really makes me feel like 'knocking up' someone right now and being delivered of the baby this night . . . . but then the biq question is who is that someone

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by BabaEleko(m): 7:00pm On Jul 10, 2012
Isale_eko:

I hope when i'm ready i'll find the right one and have the right kid.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by beautifulzerah(f): 7:34pm On Jul 10, 2012
I love this thread. My baby, my first, is going to be 9mths old on saturday. She eats anything. She is so active, already on her feet but not yet walking. She acts like a one year old.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by watergate(m): 8:10pm On Jul 10, 2012
I and my wife are expecting our first child(a boy) in a week or two..... So much for an expectant family, we really can't wait and i must confess, i have got an invaluable information here to help my wife through the early periods of our babys' development. One funny thjng though, haven't decided on a name to call him.....lol.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Bluediamond1(f): 9:47pm On Jul 10, 2012
Am an expectant mom n reading dis thread mks it feel so gud dat i cnt wait.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 10, 2012
tjskii: Newborn babies shud sleep on their backs not stomachdown at least for the first threemonths,this prevents SID(sudden infant death syndrome)

As for suckers or dummies,its not recommended cos of the high incidence of germs,even feeding bottles are no longer recommended,wen I was to introduc formular to my son,I was adviced to sppoonfeed him,wich I did,hez sixmnths old now,and eats lik a pro cheesy

My dear, forget all these internet rumours! undecided They are usually more scary than helpful. angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugar001(f): 10:40pm On Jul 10, 2012
My Little maN is 14 weeks. Hes so adorable,loves to be cuddled and refuses to sleep in his crib. *sobs* I miss spreading in my bed with my hubby. Is the any thing that i should do to encourage him to sleep in his crib? And at what age should he start sleeping in his crib,in his room.
Plus are they exclusive moms here. My mamma no wan hear oo. She drums into my ears i should introduce formular.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by faithobodogulo(f): 11:19pm On Jul 10, 2012
[b][/b]my boy is a yr old bt sucks his finger always even wen he has jst finished eating. plz is smtin i can do 2 stop him?my boy is a yr old bt sucks his finger always even wen he has jst finished eating. plz is smtin i can do 2 stop him?my boy is a yr old bt sucks his finger always even wen he has jst finished eating. plz is smtin i can do 2 stop him?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Ninilowo(m): 11:40pm On Jul 10, 2012
ayobarmy: Mummies pls help my wife ooooo, bossom milk has refused to supply like its use to b4 and baby is just 10weeks old. We have tried pap but still no improvement or is there different pap for milk supply

I think palm wine can help produce more milk. u can give it a trial.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 12:10am On Jul 11, 2012
Am happy 2 see dis thread wch i'l foloow. Am a first timer nd ma lil princess is jus 5days old. She can sleep frm mrn(say arnd 9am) til evening without minding 2 wake 4 food. Then in d night, she disturbs all thru nd slp by 3am. Pls is dis normal cos am worried.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by funmzee(f): 12:16am On Jul 11, 2012
@sugar 001,most babies don't lyk sleeping in crib they prefer sleeping beside u 2 enjoy ur body temperature. Also they want 2 feel u beside dem. I did exclusive wit my first daughter,its very good ,it make her healthy nd she continue till she was 1yrs nd 8months. It was after 6month I introduce formula but she refuse nd go straight 4 amala nd ewedu,cereals nd co. She is 4yrs now. And am doing same exclusive 4 my baby boy now,he will b 6months on thursday.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by funmzee(f): 12:25am On Jul 11, 2012
@CoxyB,its nothing 2 worry abt She wil change. As babies grow they changes attitude nd come up wit new tins. They sleep more during d day dan in d nite nd dere wil also b a tym dat she wil adjust again. So enjoy ur bonding,congrats.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tjskii(f): 7:51am On Jul 11, 2012
sugar 001: My Little maN is 14 weeks. Hes so adorable,loves to be cuddled and refuses to sleep in his crib. *sobs* I miss spreading in my bed with my hubby. Is the any thing that i should do to encourage him to sleep in his crib? And at what age should he start sleeping in his crib,in his room.
Plus are they exclusive moms here. My mamma no wan hear oo. She drums into my ears i should introduce formular.
cheesy I feel ur pain o,my son wanted to try d same thing with me and I was lik youngman do Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ kno Ђ☺w̶̲̥̅̊ much I spent on buying you this crib,my frend enter dia now befor I open my eyescheesy ,I just continued puttin him in there,til he got used to it,I didn't want him sleepin on d bed wth me cos I was worid bout him been bitten by mosquitoes,

And as for d formular issue,imo I thnk its better Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ start intrdcng formular from bout 4mnths so dt baby can start gettin used to different tastes,cos if Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ wait til babyz 6mnths(xclusiv brestfeedin)to start intrdcin formular or oda foods, Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ go hear am o,he'll be so used to d taste of brestmilk and wnt akcpt any oda substitute,then to wean him go be anoda wahala,luckily for me my baby rejected breastmilk at bout 5mnths,he prefered his cereal,I was so happyy he saved me the stress of weanin.

And all dat gist Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ hear bout peopl sayin a child wnt be sharp ior healthy if Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ dnt do xclusiv BF is bullocks,some of the brilliant peopl I kno were not even breastfed at all,while some of d dumbest peopl around weer brestfed til they were 2yrs sef grin

20 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tjskii(f): 8:04am On Jul 11, 2012
CoxyB: Am happy 2 see dis thread wch i'l foloow. Am a first timer nd ma lil princess is jus 5days old. She can sleep frm mrn(say arnd 9am) til evening without minding 2 wake 4 food. Then in d night, she disturbs all thru nd slp by 3am. Pls is dis normal cos am worried.

Aawww 5days Ђ☺w̶̲̥̅̊ cute,congrats ,hope someone older is around to help Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ ,cos as a firstimer no be beans to take care of newborn baby,especially wen ure stil recovering from d rigours of labor,and its normal for her to be awak at night its a phase that will soon pass,wen shez aslip durin the day, Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ too use dt oportunity to catch some sleep,and wake her up to feed durin the day,dnt just let her sleep from mornin to evenin wtht foood o,wake her up at bout 3hours intervals
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ayobarmy(m): 8:13am On Jul 11, 2012
I am very pleased to see this thread growing this big., as for all the new mums and dads u are all welkom may the good lord give you all the strengt to take kare of them ijn. @sugar just introduce ur wife to this tread so she can see reason to breast feed. Infact it has been confirmed that being exclusive reduces the risk of breast cancer in women........... As for my wife, we discoverd that her milk supply reduses bcuz she was about seeing her flow. Things became normal immediatly the flow started. And as for the big boy, he changes styl every week and we are enjoying every bit of it, but he really scared us last week when we took him for the second month immunization bcuz his temp went as high as it could for complete 48hours. Its really scary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugar001(f): 8:13am On Jul 11, 2012
smiley
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tosino: 10:18am On Jul 11, 2012
tjskii: Newborn babies shud sleep on their backs not stomachdown at least for the first threemonths,this prevents SID(sudden infant death syndrome)

As for suckers or dummies,its not recommended cos of the high incidence of germs,even feeding bottles are no longer recommended,wen I was to introduc formular to my son,I was adviced to sppoonfeed him,wich I did,hez sixmnths old now,and eats lik a pro cheesy

My son is 5 months old now, and he slept on his side with a bumper ( padded cloth) to prevent him from rollingon his back as advised by the nurses.

Apparently at that early stage back sleeping is not advisable because some babies over feed at the breast and may not burp before they sleep and you put them down, this increases the risk of choking especially because head control isn't developed yet.

Eventually by 2 months i put him to sleep on his back but with his head raised up on a pillow in his crib, the pillow was covered with the bed sheet so there was no risk of him falling under the pillow etc. This was because he always over fed and the milk would come out of his nose while he was asleep.

By 2 and half months, his head and neck control was solid and almost perfect, his neck was strong and i put him to sleep on his tummy because i found that he slept better and longer that way.

Thats the way he sleeps now and he can roll over now to any position he likes.

A word about SIDS- The oyinbos that came up with this syndrome always say they do not know exactly what causes it so they give all sorts of advise just so that parents are more vigilant. In the 70's and 80's the best position for a baby to sleep was on the stomach and nothing happened to them. I'm sure most of us on this thread were raised that way. The same white people that said sleeping on the tummy was recommended then, are the same ones saying its not good now. Its up to the parent to be watchful and be in tune with their child. I dont sleep more than 3 hours a nite, always up checking and checking at any slightest sound.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tosino: 10:26am On Jul 11, 2012
Hello people.

I'm a mom of a 5 month old, and full time worker in a new generation bank. Resumed work when my son was 3 months and 2 weeks. He's still on brreast milk as we speak, God has just been good. I express at work when i can using an electric pump and it seems like we are going to ahcieve the goal of being exclusive for 6 months after all! What has pushed me also is the fact that my son would absolutely not drink formula, he would spit it out and cry until he has his mommys milk!

I'd also like to advise mothers on this forum, if you are returning to work and your child is exclusively breastfed, you will need to train the child to accept the bottle even if its bmilk you are putting inside not neccessarily formula. Believe me it is war! So start early, like from 2 and half months, i can give further advise if neccessary, tired of typing, i'm going back to work.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by PrettyCindy(f): 11:40am On Jul 11, 2012
When a baby is born, they still act like they are still in the womb, i mean active during the night and sleep during the day. My baby did exactly the same thing but i wasn‘t worried one bit because i already knew it would be like that.

Like have been mentioned, palm wine and pap increases the production of brea.st milk. Sugar cane, pounded yam and tea beverage (milo/bournvita/ovaltine with lots of milk) does same thing. Pap, pounded yam or tea works better though.

A brea.st feeding mum should avoid eating any food prepared with cocoa yam; am referring to the type used as soup thickner. It dries up brea.st milk. Months ago when i prepared bitter leaf soup and used cocoa yam as the thickner, my milk production ceased. I had to take lots of pap, tea, pounded yam with another soup before my milk started flowing again. Few weeks later, i prepared same soup, used same ingredients but used Achi as the thickner instead of cocoa yam. There was no problem with my milk production.

About a baby sleeping on his stomach, well i prefer to err on the side of caution. I didnt lay my baby that way till he was 3months plus and with semi-strong neck cordination. When a baby (new born - 2months) sleeping on his stomach wants to change position of his head, in trying to rotate the neck to another direction, the face may get stuck facing downward, if the baby doesnt completely rotate the neck to the side he wants to, he may encounter breathing problems and well.........like i said i prefer to err on the side of caution.
If you must lay your baby stomach down, make sure you check on him every few minutes and help turn the neck probably after an hour so he doesnt develop flat spots on one side of the head.

About your baby sucking his toe, my son does that too. A friend that visited me said its a sign that he will eat lots of chicken leg (lol)......who doesnt love chicken leg?. Anyway there is no cause for alarm, its one of the weird things babies do that they can never give you reason for.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by PrettyCindy(f): 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2012
@op, the vaccine that causes that rise in temperature is DPT vaccine. Its given in 3 doses at a month or so interval each with HBV. To prevent or minimize such rise is temperature, 3 or 4 days to the date of next hopital visit for immunization, start giving him paracetamol syrup drops (check leaflet for dosage).

By the way, whoever gave the name “crawling“ to babies learning movement should please think again. My son “crawls“ so fast that i began to wonder if the word ‘crawling‘ had another meaning to it.
Am a single mum to my baby and i am so loving being a mother. I give God glory that i didn‘t bow to pressure to abort him.

13 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by honeyfave: 12:50pm On Jul 11, 2012
ayobarmy: I am very pleased to see this thread growing this big., as for all the new mums and dads u are all welkom may the good lord give you all the strengt to take kare of them ijn. @sugar just introduce ur wife to this tread so she can see reason to breast feed. Infact it has been confirmed that being exclusive reduces the risk of breast cancer in women........... As for my wife, we discoverd that her milk supply reduses bcuz she was about seeing her flow. Things became normal immediatly the flow started. And as for the big boy, he changes styl every week and we are enjoying every bit of it, but he really scared us last week when we took him for the second month immunization bcuz his temp went as high as it could for complete 48hours. Its really scary.

Always give your baby paracetamol on the day of immunization(before injection is given) and after that. Then continue to give him four times on the first day(d immune day), the 2nd day give him 3 times a day and the 3rd day give him for two times.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by PrettyCindy(f): 2:58pm On Jul 11, 2012
One sure way of being “carried along“ with the happenings in you baby‘s life is to google his age; for instance if your baby is 2 months and 1 week old, google “2 months and 1 week old baby“. You will get lots of information on what milestone to expect, why your baby is acting the way he is etc. You can even google ahead. That way you won‘t be taken unaware or thrown off balance when he does something “weird“ or doesn‘t achieve a particularly expected milestone.

I did this during my pregnancy days, i was never bothered one day over anything or tricks pulled by my then womb hijacker. I knew ahead of time what to expect and why such should happen and what organs were growing weekly. My pregnancy was fun.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Isaleeko2: 4:32pm On Jul 11, 2012
watergate: I and my wife are expecting our first child(a boy) in a week or two..... So much for an expectant family, we really can't wait and i must confess, i have got an invaluable information here to help my wife through the early periods of our babys' development. One funny thjng though, haven't decided on a name to call him.....lol.

Don't worry, you will be fine. I had no clue what to name my daughter until the night of the naming ceremony. cheesy

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by chievo: 4:46pm On Jul 11, 2012
ayobarmy: Hi @all, thanks for always beeing there, may the good Lord continue to be with you all IJN(amen)........ Pls i need sum1 to clear this for me, can sex affect breast milk supply,/what causes low milk supply in nursing mother??
...)sex can neva affect breast milk supply,bt b kiaful wt d sex tin though cos i knw u dnt want 2 get pregnant again,n wen u dnt take much of liquid induced food lk tea,pap n d likes,ur gonnna get low supply breast milk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by hannydarl(f): 4:51pm On Jul 11, 2012
Every baby is different. My first would not sleep on his back at all he also used to chock on his food if placed on his back cos of refluxon his tummy it just falls from his mouth. But, slept well on his stomach. it was scary at first what with all that SIDS stories. I monitored him constantly untill he started turning on his own from back to stomach and vice versa. While my daughter would NEVER sleep on her stomAch. In short she would not sleep unless she was swaddled. Those of you with kids that don't sleep for up to 3hrs at a stretch try swaddling it saved my life. At 3mos my son slept for 9hrs straight but daughter woke up every 3hrs untill 9 months now she is one and is sleeping better. She uses the pacifier and can say bye bye, hello, calls my sister and the security by name and also says take, No and see. She walked early 10mos While my son walked on the very day he clocked 1 kids are different and unique.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.