Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,968 members, 7,803,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (257) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4385660 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 1:10am On Jul 07, 2015
Eumaca:

I agreed with you especially on that stress issue. I know someone who lost her baby recently after long distance travel. She
Moved from east to north with her family, the last baby of abt 7-8weeks died 2days later. They said stress and cold despite the fact that they travelled in private car.

I took my 9day old baby out, to get her int'l passport done. Private car, AC.....but even with that, I slmost peed in my pants when we were done. She was soooo tiredddd....Oh lord.....she was obviously weak. I was just cussing myself that who sent me message. And that was donestic travel o
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 1:28am On Jul 07, 2015
rezzy:
Hi sweet mothers,

My baby will be 8 months on Friday.

He is not growing as he should. We went for 6 months immunisation last Friday of June(he was 7 months 16 days then) , he weighted 5.6kg. In short infact, he was the smallest baby among 6 and 7 months babies that came for the immunisation. Shame nearly killed me.

He stopped taking cerelac so I decided to buy pap. In the process of buying the pap, the seller asked me who wants to drink it, I told her my baby. She said why this small baby(imagine how small my baby is for her to say it). Then I told her my baby is approaching 8 months. Immediately, she removed my baby's socks and checked his leg. She said something is eating him up inside that it happened to her daughter too. She said my baby won't grow, that it can even kill.

Con see fear for my heart shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Alagbo woman checked his tummy and showed us green veins.

Though, my landlord said he knows it, that if I was in the village they will bath him with herbs and I will see the worm abi snail eating him coming out from his body.

To cut the long story short, my baby is taking agbo now. My Mil is giving him the agbo by force.

Abeg who has experienced this or have any idea about it?

I dey find my menses ooo. I need prayers. 3 days late

Madam! You get mind o! Someone you dont know from Adam, all because she is elderly and sells agbo, diagnosed and prescribed 'drugs'....your landlord came and said some mumbo jumbo....and you jumped to give your little baby.....hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Haba!!!

Not all babies are meant to be big! My son is the smallest kid in his class....but he is hitting his milestones. My son has always been a small baby. He never had all those folds that babies have. Our family friends have a daughter, dhe is about 3 weeks older than my daughter, my daughter is much bigger than her.....but this girl is qlready ssying BYE with her mouth and hands. She is just a little over 9 months.

It's only in Nigeria people make a fuss about big babies. People made me feel so bad back in naija. It got to a point where I didnt even want to go out or wear fine clothes out, cos you get people looking at you as if you are spending money on yourself and not feeding your kid. My son was on Enfamil and imported cereals....different varieties....there was no mising of money.

Long and short....you are putting your kid in harm's way. I really want to know the outcome of this experiment you are performing on your live kid. Pls let us know if he magically adds weight. Hopefully, it is not mawu mawu you are giving the poor kid. So vexed!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 2:05am On Jul 07, 2015
Megilicious:

I myslf was horrified, bt u nid 2 c d. "dis 1 Neva Sabi anytin" look dy gav me, wen I was askd y my zara was cryn constitenly evry 9t. Evn breastmilk cudnt pacify her. Dy said I shud giv her a pinch of it, 4 jedi. N d Tommy ache. Evn wen I hesitated wit a certain luk, d issue here is I wudnt want my hubby 2 knw coz he may giv her, n if I say no it may b wahala.

You want to harm your baby becaude of 'look'

Let's see where that 'look' gets you if your baby falls ill. The same people looking at you one kain now, will not be there with you, if your baby falls ill.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 2:15am On Jul 07, 2015
babythug:

You want to give a baby with barely developed internal organs agbo? Agbo that is in its natural, unrefined and possibly toxic state? so that her tiny kidneys and liver would work extra hard to purify it abi

good luck......

Couldn't have said it better! *thumbsup*

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MumZ(f): 3:42am On Jul 07, 2015
rezzy:
Hi sweet mothers,

He is not growing as he should. We went for 6 months immunisation last Friday of June(he was 7 months 16 days then) , he weighted 5.6kg. In short infact, he was the smallest baby among 6 and 7 months babies that came for the immunisation. Shame nearly killed me.

He stopped taking cerelac so I decided to buy pap. In the process of buying the pap, the seller asked me who wants to drink it, I told her my baby. She said why this small baby(imagine how small my baby is for her to say it). Then I told her my baby is approaching 8 months. Immediately, she removed my baby's socks and checked his leg. She said something is eating him up inside that it happened to her daughter too. She said my baby won't grow, that it can even kill.

Though, my landlord said he knows it, that if I was in the village they will bath him with herbs and I will see the worm abi snail eating him coming out from his body.

To cut the long story short, my baby is taking agbo now. My Mil is giving him the agbo by force.

I can remember we gave birth almost same time. I'm really not comfortable wit who prescribed agbo 4 ur child. Everybody feels dey av an opinion of how one shld take care of her baby. U shld av just taken ur child 2 ur doctor, explain ur fears n he could av prescribed a good deworming medcine 4 ur baby after examining him. As a mum, u av 2 b firm o else u end up trying every suggestions given. Pele, its well.

6 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by enioladimeji: 6:16am On Jul 07, 2015
MumZ:

I can remember we gave birth almost same time. I'm really not comfortable wit who prescribed agbo 4 ur child. Everybody feels dey av an opinion of how one shld take care of her baby. U shld av just taken ur child 2 ur doctor, explain ur fears n he could av prescribed a good deworming medcine 4 ur baby after examining him. As a mum, u av 2 b firm o else u end up trying every suggestions given. Pele, its well.
Correct my sis. One has to be firm o. My mum knows me, my NO is NO. She even said i behave as if she wasn't the one that brought us up. As for MIL. I play along. No wahala. I go tell am say i don hear but i do what i feel is right for my baby cos i gave birth to him. Even if a doc prescribe drugs for him, i still google and find out if i can use it for him to avoid stories that touch.
Pple will so tell u some things as if they love and care for ur child more than u do.

6 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mubzay(f): 9:04am On Jul 07, 2015
Mamas, hope u and ur los are doing great? May God in His infinite mercies bless us all.
On d issue of herb taking (agbo), it does work if u get d original ones and use in moderation for babies I.e one or two drops in dia mouth esp for eela n alefo n ezcema. I did use for my son when he had alefo nd it worked. I didn't use orthodox drugs with d herbs. Used only herbs. But opinions differ, u can choose not to use it. In some cases drugs just offer temp relieve for them n u wait the rest out.
Av a frnd whose baby had oka ori (greenish veins on d head), it prevents d baby from eating well n growing. All drugs just relieved temp until she used d herbs for it.
I think its a personal decision. It saddens me when we castigate mothers who do. Everything is in moderation. #mythots
Av a blessed day you all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by desiree(f): 10:40am On Jul 07, 2015
joyousf:

hope it doesn't darken the skin color cos my baby is fair.

No, it doesn't darken. Make sure you get it in its original solid form.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by desiree(f): 10:47am On Jul 07, 2015
MiracleMum:

**smiles**
Bossladymo1 elucidated extensively on that.
I travelled at 6 weeks with my LO (by air) but her paed insisted she takes the necessary immunization and also gave me some very useful safety tips which i couldnt have gotten from the internet . It's just possible that this baby is yet to be immunized since the mum is having emotional issues.
I strongly believe she can have another option which may not be too convenient compared to the long trip.

Please mama could you share the tips your paed gave you for air travel?. I will be going on vacay with the family very soon and I'm particularly worried about my LO's eardrums as per cabin pressure. cry
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by desiree(f): 10:57am On Jul 07, 2015
mubzay:
Mamas, hope u and ur los are doing great? May God in His infinite mercies bless us all.
On d issue of herb taking (agbo), it does work if u get d original ones and use in moderation for babies I.e one or two drops in dia mouth esp for eela n alefo n ezcema. I did use for my son when he had alefo nd it worked. I didn't use orthodox drugs with d herbs. Used only herbs. But opinions differ, u can choose not to use it. In some cases drugs just offer temp relieve for them n u wait the rest out.
Av a frnd whose baby had oka ori (greenish veins on d head), it prevents d baby from eating well n growing. All drugs just relieved temp until she used d herbs for it.
I think its a personal decision. It saddens me when we castigate mothers who do. Everything is in moderation. #mythots

I personally don't feel comfortable with giving babies any thing orally if the ingredients are not listed....because I google all the components of any medication and even ask on baby center when in doubt. We all read about what "My pikin" teeth mixture did to those poor babies.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olaoyekemi(f): 11:00am On Jul 07, 2015
Good morning mamas,dis is my first post on dis thread.am a FTM,pls am in pains o,my baby verge on my boss on without knowing BT av been feeling pains since morning,I even vommited,body temperature,serious pain on d breast and its swollen.have massage wit warm water,added shear butter and rob BT the pain is still dear.pls mamas come to my aid help a FTM out.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 11:07am On Jul 07, 2015
olaoyekemi:
Good morning mamas,dis is my first post on dis thread.am a FTM,pls am in pains o,my baby verge on my boss on without knowing BT av been feeling pains since morning,I even vommited,body temperature,serious pain on d breast and its swollen.have massage wit warm water,added shear butter and rob BT the pain is still dear.pls mamas come to my aid help a FTM out.

How old is your baby? Do you mean your baby belched on your boss om?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sayoberry(f): 11:55am On Jul 07, 2015
desiree:

Please mama could you share the tips your paed gave you for air travel?. I will be going on vacay with the family very soon and I'm particularly worried about my LO's eardrums as per cabin pressure. cry
Traveled with my twins when they were four weeks. About 18 hours journey. When the plane is about to take off, make sure u start breastfeeding or at least he sucks on something. And constantly feed him. Request for a bassinet on the plane, or before u travel.
Depending on the airline, some planes give pregnant women and women with babies extra care. Like u get to eat 'extra' snacks, extra water etc. always ask for them.
When u re about to land too. Feed your baby.
Mine dint even fuss one bit.

And carry about 20 diaper and loads of wipes and ur babys food (if he's eating already), napkins, etc

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 07, 2015
MumZ:

This is the best and nice approach to give advice.

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 07, 2015
[quote author=bossladymo1 post=35570562]

May d merciful Lord bless u and ur kids,infct u av no idea hw ur words av helped modas,am passin thru same issue d woman raised,my one year old boy luks 9mnths,his nickname is baba kekere,it bodas me b4 bt wen I see him reachin all his milestones nd docs nd nurses told me dia is no issue wt him,am flexin now o infct wen he walks,he luk so cute,I undastand her worries cuz I almost got frustrated bt tnx to babycentre nd dis thread,I care less,madam bosslady,thank u again ma.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 07, 2015
[quote author=rezzy post=35566469]
Madam,we r in d same boat here,as long as ur lo av bn checked and dia s nt any medical issue,pls let him be,my hubby and I r on d small side so it calms my fears too,my opinion abt agbo:we av to b extra cautious wt it cuz plenty fake. Concoction is out dia bt in sum circumstances agbo is required,let's kip in mind dat tins av changed,dia r new discovery dat substitute herbs now bt let's not dilute,if u r goin local,go 100% nd bear d outcum,if its medical,no wahala too,all in all its only God dat is supreme nd may He gv us all d wisdom to take adequate care of d younguns,dia is nottin lyk a MOTHER'S INSTINCT,follow it!

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by forlahkhe: 12:45pm On Jul 07, 2015
.....bt the mothers around me who use agbo for their babies keep using it on and on.like some1 I know who stl uses agbo eela for her 1yr old baby & she has been using it frm day 1 she had d baby. Wen d baby poop they say he's pooing d eela, u c eela on his body and they say d agbo is driving d ones inside to d outside....I can't imagine d continious use of d agbo for my baby jare, so I dropped d one my mother inlaw brought for me on one side*though my baby has eela dt coms on and off*
mubzay:
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by forlahkhe: 1:21pm On Jul 07, 2015
It actually got to a stage I had to ask masef that: can som1 lov ma child more than I do?? Its because of d way all ds mamas treated me wen I had ma baby o. I ddnt lactate until afta 3days and because of dt they started calling me names; odaju, some say I hav a male breast. I was emotionally down..... Now dt my baby is nt adding weight, chai! I go hear am o...
Nurses @ d general hosp too ar nt helping matas, na so dem go dey praise d mama of a big baby like say u wey ur pikn small offend God.
enioladimeji:

Correct my sis. One has to be firm o. My mum knows me, my NO is NO. She even said i behave as if she wasn't the one that brought us up. As for MIL. I play along. No wahala. I go tell am say i don hear but i do what i feel is right for my baby cos i gave birth to him. Even if a doc prescribe drugs for him, i still google and find out if i can use it for him to avoid stories that touch.
Pple will so tell u some things as if they love and care for ur child more than u do.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by franky2013(f): 2:28pm On Jul 07, 2015
gud day mummies, pls who knows where i can get sebamed soap n Enfagrow formula in Abuja? i ve bn searching for since lastweek.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by desiree(f): 2:33pm On Jul 07, 2015
olaoyekemi:

Mastitis is what you have...it happened to me when my LO was 2 weeks old. rub some olive oil on your tips and leave on for 10_ 15mins before washing off. You can take pain killers to deal with the temperature and pain but you will have to go and see your doctor for antibiotics. It is caused by accumulation of br east milk and your LO not sucking it out...so breas tfeed that pikin well well o.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rezzy: 2:40pm On Jul 07, 2015
@cutienik, forlahkhe this your post made me lol. They call mine, baba konkonlo.

@all mamas, thanks for your advice.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by desiree(f): 2:44pm On Jul 07, 2015
sayoberry:

Traveled with my twins when they were four weeks. About 18 hours journey. When the plane is about to take off, make sure u start breastfeeding or at least he sucks on something. And constantly feed him. Request for a bassinet on the plane, or before u travel.
Depending on the airline, some planes give pregnant women and women with babies extra care. Like u get to eat 'extra' snacks, extra water etc. always ask for them.

And carry about 20 diaper and loads of wipes and ur babys food (if he's eating already), napkins, etc

Thanks for the tips ....my LO will be 5 months then. He is eating pureed food and cereal now,I hope they would let me pass through security with my flask of hot water.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mamacajah: 2:48pm On Jul 07, 2015
desiree:
Pls mamas that live in Lagos, has anyone come across Gerber Good Start formula in any store?. I'm asking on behalf of my friend that would be relocating from the states in September. She is planning to bring in some but it would be nice if she can buy from stores when she runs out. Thanks in advance.
There is a shop in surulere, near Havana Hospital, akinrele, shitta that sells it. i think it starts from 9k or so.
I bought once but since I stopped using US milk as my DD was reacting to it, I don't know the current price. Up till 2 weeks ago, she was still selling it as I bought some goods from her then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MiracleMum(f): 3:02pm On Jul 07, 2015
desiree:

sayoberry:

To add to what Sayoberry already listed. I will try to summarize the ones I can recall.
She discouraged air travel shortly after I delivered because I wanted to make the trip earlier than 6weeks. Her reason was that newborns have developing immune systems and that air travel might increase a baby’s risk of catching an infectious disease, so she insisted my baby must be up to date in the necessary vaccines.
Next, she talked about changing cabin pressure during a flight causes temporary changes in middle ear pressure, which can trigger ear pain. She said to help equalize the pressure in my baby’s ears, I should breastfeed or let her suck a bottle or pacifier during takeoff and landing. (she warned that I shouldnt overfeed my baby mid-air because bloated tummy may cause pain and crying)
She also said thank God my baby wasn’t premature because there's a special flying safety tip for them that has to do with their respiratory system.
She advised I wear my baby warm clothing, with cap, mitten and socks. Not forgetting a good blanket for the baby to keep warm.
And to keep change of clothes handy.
we cannot over-emphasize the Carrying of plenty diapers and wipes, it is very important.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MiracleMum(f): 3:06pm On Jul 07, 2015
desiree:

Thanks for the tips ....my LO will be 5 months then. He is eating pureed food and cereal now,I hope they would let me pass through security with my flask of hot water.

They will, i passed through security with Expressed BM and hot water in a flask. Just have all the necessary things in your hand luggage. for a 5 months, please dont forget a teether to keep baby busy.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mubzay(f): 3:13pm On Jul 07, 2015
@forlahkhe: in every thing one does, moderation is imp. D max I did was three months and it worked well. Like I said it is ur choice to use it or not. Just follow ur motherly instincts.
May God help us in nurturing our Los.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by dunnybaby26: 3:39pm On Jul 07, 2015
joyousf:

thanks my sister. I'd try that with black soap too. I used to dry his body n it indeed stains the towel. I bath him morning n night with the water o.

Yes. Mrning nd night bt after u might av used ordinary water,dnt dilute it.soap is nt necessary in d night so as nt 2 dry d skin out
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by desiree(f): 3:41pm On Jul 07, 2015
MiracleMum:

They will, i passed through security with Expressed BM and hot water in a flask. Just have all the necessary things in your hand luggage. for a 5 months, please dont forget a teether to keep baby busy.

Awesome tip...thanks. Help me remember to pack everything needed. Packing for myself, 2 young children(dh makes it 2) and an infant is not easy.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by dunnybaby26: 3:48pm On Jul 07, 2015
rezzy:
Hi sweet mothers,

Wisdom is also needed here so as nt 2 offend MIL,my 1st was around 6 weeks wen my grandma came cos I ws at hometown wt ma mum nd said smthin was eatin my boy up,in short he was bathed wt agbo nd palm kernel which ws later broken nd I saw hair coming out of it.ws tld my baby swallowd hair in d tummy.though I didn't bliv it bt d stomach ache stopped.why nt go 2 a pead if u dnt want agbo?u ar d mum nd u av d right 2 object.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tchiwinnie: 3:50pm On Jul 07, 2015
@rezzy, 5.6kg is below d normal weight for a 7month old. Abeg stop d agbo. Its not good at all for dat delicate kidney. Pls and pls tk dat child to a good hospital for proper evaluation. Na u kno wot u suffer during labor, push dat baby out so dont allow pressure frm anybody to mk u do wot s wrong, abeg. How re his milestones? Is he sitting yet? Crawling? Wot does he eat currently?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by dunnybaby26: 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2015
Megilicious:

I breast feed mine while lying dwn @ 9t, she's 2mths+ n I started doing DAT aftA I read online DAT its NT harmful in anyway. Well differnt strokes 4 differnt pple. DAT 9t feeding dy tire prsn my sista

I also breast fed my 1st child lying down nd nothing happened so I think children ar jst diff frm each other

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by olaoyekemi(f): 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2015
bossladymo1:

How old is your baby? Do you mean your baby belched on your boss om?
. Yes she belched& she will be a month old on monday

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.