Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (514) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4390901 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 9:17am On May 03, 2016
Please I would like to mention something quickly about all this "my baby is swallowing this-and-that medication" especially Paracetamol, Ibruprofen, antibiotics, Acetaminophen and most cold and cough syrups:

Please stop it. You are building up a drug resistance in your child (which means that one day very soon, maybe at the age of 5, your child will require very strong medications to treat a minor ailment) and that happens especially in Antibiotics. Doctors complain a lot about parents abusing drugs especially Antibiotics. The same goes with painkillers of any sort. You are harming your child's kidneys with consistent dosing of painkillers, even if you give the right dosage, as long as you give it for a prolonged time, you are endangering their kidneys. Same with Antifungal or Antibacterial (steriod) creams, you're removing the upper epidermis (top layer of their skin). There is a reason that day on the back of medications "after 3 days, consult your doctor".

Speak to your doctor and if you see no improvement after a certain number of days, go back and tell for doctor and if you're not satisfied, get a 2nd opinion from another doctor.

25 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tchiwinnie: 9:26am On May 03, 2016
ahnie:
Gudnoon pls help one of your own o,my lil zino has severe cough,wen coughing she do vomits n accompanied wit runny nose,cattarh.pls what drugs shud i buy.i bot emzolyn,but no improvement.cctchwinnie,soonest,ozycy,zaynie,nggie,onegai and the rest sabi mamas.pls its urgent.
Sorry, just seeing this. Pls take lil zino to d hospital. There re different causes of cough in children. Let her b properly examined and treated

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by supermum01: 9:47am On May 03, 2016
Morning mamas. For those mamas battling wt their LO's cough here's a recipe my grandma tought me which is very very effective nd would clear d cough in 3 days. Dat was wat I used 4 my LO after d hopital prescription no work. D ingredient ar bitter leaf, lemon and honey. Squeeze out d bitter leaf juice and lemon juice and add honey den mix very well and start giving a teaspoon morning nd night do not refrigerate if after 3 days d cough no go add small palm oil. To d mixture and giv once daily. HTH
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by supermum01: 9:49am On May 03, 2016
Pls mamas can I use adult haircream on my 10months old daughter? Tnx
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tchiwinnie: 9:49am On May 03, 2016
Well said @ Onegai. #letsstopselfmedication

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tchiwinnie: 9:51am On May 03, 2016
Pls DO NOT gv honey to a child less than 1yr. Risk of botullism. cc supermum01

8 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 10:14am On May 03, 2016
supermum01:
Morning mamas. For those mamas battling wt their LO's cough here's a recipe my grandma tought me which is very very effective nd would clear d cough in 3 days. Dat was wat I used 4 my LO after d hopital prescription no work. D ingredient ar bitter leaf, lemon and honey. Squeeze out d bitter leaf juice and lemon juice and add honey den mix very well and start giving a teaspoon morning nd night do not refrigerate if after 3 days d cough no go add small palm oil. To d mixture and giv once daily. HTH

Honey is raw and cannot be pasteurized. Sometimes it can carry Botulism. Which can sometimes kills babies. So no doctor in the world will recommend it to a baby under the age of 12 Calendar months or 1 year. A mum in this group came out and stated that she lost her child to Botulism in honey. It does not matter how pure or how clean the honey is, it carries Botulism and is fatal in attacking babies.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by creamyzone: 10:22am On May 03, 2016
Rossy99:
tnks 4 d info bt dt excessive heat,i dnt knw hw to control it cos she cnt b expose yet

Am a new dad and I advice you try out. "Rising raving powder". It very effective for heat. The big one is N400 and small one is N200. It will also protect your baby' skin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MrsNimat: 11:01am On May 03, 2016
Good mornin mama am an ftm and my lo is not adding well she is 2 months old now,please what type of.milk or supplement can I give her so she add weight like her peers,thank you veri much as u respond.and also am goin to enrol her in a creche once she is 3 months pls does anyone knw a very good creche in gbagada lagos.thank you for ur endless aupport.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MiracleMum(f): 11:19am On May 03, 2016
supermum01:
Pls mamas can I use adult haircream on my 10months old daughter? Tnx

why not use Shea butter or better still buy baby detangler and a leave-in conditioner. Even as an adult, i dont use hair cream on my hair. Shea butter all the way!

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by creamyzone: 11:20am On May 03, 2016
Hello super mums in the house. I am new here on this thread. You all are doing a good job and God bless you so much. I am a 1st time dad and need urgent advice for my baby. She is 13months now and never had any skin problem before. she is fair in complexion and super active. We use "pears" baby cream for her, "cussons baby oil" for her hair, baby tetmosol soap and dettol antiseptic to bath her. To the glory of God we've never had any reason to visit the hospital from birth till date except for immunization. Then at 11 and half months old she developed a diaper rash. We were adviced to get this "rising raving powder". Its very effective against heat rashes and also cleared the diaper rash.

Later just few days to her 1st birthday she got ringworm. It started just like a spot and started spreading rapidly even to her private part area and buttocks. The chemist man said it was contacted outside while playing with other kids. He prescribed "whitfield" ointment with "griseofulvin" oral suspension. The ring worm has cleared on her back, neck and private part but left some scars on her skin. She is still taking the griseofulvin. Then just three days ago fresh ringworm appeared under her chin and under her armpit. The chemist man then prescribed "neo skin" tube cream again but this is making those affected parts go light.

Please super moms these are my questions...

1. What effective medicine can we use to heal this ringworm permanently.

2. The healed ringworm left scars on her shoulder, back, neck and buttocks. What cream or soap can be used to clear these scars.

3. My wife cut her hair with home scissors recently then she started having small small boils on her head. (My wife said she may be reacting to "amplicox" syrup and "piccan" that we gave her recently for her swollen eyes from teething pain... Please what medicine can we use for these small small boils on her scalp...

cc:
Zaynie
kaffy4bill
soonest
onegai
ozycy
chinwendym
Supermom01
and other super mothers on this thread.

Please kindly respond because this condition has affected our babies cute and fine skin...

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 11:31am On May 03, 2016
Original comment modified by me. wink

For heat rashes, rather than using powder (i actually bought Agnesia powder based on all pf your recommendations here. It's good but don't fling it all over your baby, rather please pour in hand, pat together and gently press it into baby's skin, avoiding nose and mouth). Please UnCloth baby all through the day, give towel baths with rapid water or put baby in bathtub (or big bowl) with water to play or go swimming (very recommended for babies). Also, soak a washcloths in cool water and give baby to suck on. Helps their gums. The bad side effect of all that water is that baby will really like pouring water everywhere so that instead of drinking their water, they will pour it on the carpet, inside the DSTV box, on the bed, on the chair, on your phone...

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by creamyzone: 11:45am On May 03, 2016
Onegai:
Creamyzone, please use the Search function and look for the solutions. We have discussed it very well here (why we shouldn't use powders, especially in the private parts, why most of us don't use teething meds, why we shouldn't use meds without consulting a doctor especially from a Chemist, not even a pharmacist o etc). Who prescribed Ampliclox syrup?? Why are you giving her antibiotics for teething and swollen eyes, does she have a bacterial infection??

We say the same thing, shout ourselves hoarse, get medical people to chime in and it's like we are just talking because we are jobless. I don't get it, I simply just don't get...

Sorry but I'm tired.

The sad thing is that all will look well and alright until it is too late.

She is a trained pharmacist from a reputable university. The chemist man is just the front cashier that works for her. Ampiclox was prescribed by the same pharmacist when her eyes was swollen during teething and it worked and cleared in two days. I am not a fan of hospitals really as long as its not malaria or any feverish conditions. Even "baby centre", a renowned american website said you can consult your pharmacist for certain drugs. I came here just to hear out other mums that may have experienced similar condition...

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 11:48am On May 03, 2016
creamyzone:

She is a trained pharmacist from a reputable university. The chemist man is just the front cashier that works for her. Ampiclox was prescribed by the same pharmacist when her eyes was swollen during teething and it worked and cleared in two days. I am not a fan of hospitals really as long as its not malaria or any feverish conditions. Even "baby centre", a renowned american website said you can consult your pharmacist for certain drugs. I came here just to hear out other mums that may have experienced similar condition...

Ah, sorry no vex. I merely asked a dermatologist, a pharmacist and consultant paeditrician because we were gisting online. Please ignore my comment.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MiracleMum(f): 12:00pm On May 03, 2016
MrsNimat:
Good mornin mama am an ftm and my lo is not adding well she is 2 months old now,please what type of.milk or supplement can I give her so she add weight like her peers,thank you veri much as u respond.and also am goin to enrol her in a creche once she is 3 months pls does anyone knw a very good creche in gbagada lagos.thank you for ur endless aupport.

Your pocket and baby's milk tolerance will determine the choice of formula you go for. There're several in the market:

Similac, Enfamil, Aptamil, SMA Gold, Thrive signature, Nan, peak etc,. You may need to supplement her breast feeding with formula immediately since she's not gaining weight now and would soon start creche. except you're #teamexclusive.

It's advisable you search for a good creche yourself with proximity top most in mind. A good creche should have the following:

The place must be well ventilated, spacious, neat and well secured ( i do not subscribe to parlour system creche)
The floor must be fully padded with either a rug or mat.
There should be cctv
There should be sleeping cots, rockers, lots of indoor toys and play equipment
There should be a TV showing cartoons or nursery rhymes and not telemundo or africa magic
At least 1 Female caregiver to 2 babies (no man oh)
A supervisor who monitors the activities of the caregivers

Check like 3 or 4 creches before making your choice. Your baby is very young, please visit her every afternoon until she isn't interested anymore in your visits ( it's a lot of work but it will help you breastfeed her, thats why its important the creche is close by). Well done!

5 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by creamyzone: 12:01pm On May 03, 2016
Onegai:

Ah, sorry no vex. I merely asked a dermatologist, a pharmacist and consultant paeditrician because we were gisting online. Please ignore my comment.

Vex ke. Why will I be angry. I only replied to your comment because you thought it was an ordinary chemist. My sister calm down please and how can you say I should ignore your comment. You later added to the comment I quoted. We all came to learn here. And as I noted in my post that this is my first time on this thread so I expect you to be more patient ehn.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by supermum01: 12:24pm On May 03, 2016
Tnx ma'am
MiracleMum:

why not use Shea butter or better still buy baby detangler and a leave-in conditioner. Even as an adult, i dont use hair cream on my hair. Shea butter all the way!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 12:40pm On May 03, 2016
creamyzone:

Vex ke. Why will I be angry. I only replied to your comment because you thought it was an ordinary chemist. My sister calm down please and how can you say I should ignore your comment. You later added to the comment I quoted. We all came to learn here. And as I noted in my post that this is my first time on this thread so I expect you to be more patient ehn.

There's a paste that can mixed from some leaves that will help with the skin (i can't remember it but Red acalypha is one of the ingredients). Griseofulvin can be taken for a while because Ringworm takes time to clear. A doctor should be able to tell you how long to give it for. Antifungal shampoo can help clear the skin but won't treat the ringworm and neither will creams. Bleach her comb and wash anything fabric she had come in contact with. Dont share her towel and there's no need to cut her hair. A pharmacist really shouldn't be prescribing (my sibling always tells me to check with the Doctor before I take her advice) but if you wanna do that, it's your choice.

I'm going to quote an old post from 2013 from another mama on this thread:

sweettweet:

I was advised by a consultant paed @ BMH in PH not to use piccan for baby. She said the long term effect is terrible for baby.

That's why I advise that we search for answers. So you can get the full conversation on all sides.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 1:30pm On May 03, 2016
@ Creamyzone,
Her puffy eyes would have most likely gone without Ampiclox.....its an antibiotics ( for infections)and has zero effect on teething o.
-Watch the kids your kids play with to prevent re-infection.

I really dont know what to prescribe but I do know there is a very effective tincture that these herbal traders sell. You apply on the affected site.
For the hospital phobia, try to register her at a good clinic at least. She needs to have a medical record.

Quick story:
I have a 3years+ 10 months old son. When he was a year plus he was finding it difficult to swallow and had temp, ppl around us said it was sorw throat but I took him to the hospital anyways. Turned out it was a throat infection. Antibiotics were prescribed and we went home.
A couple of months later, he had mouth sores. Went to the hospital, it was an infection, we got antibiotics.
A few months down the line, his mouth was smelling really bad, off to the hospital, it was tonsilitis. Then the Dr picked up a heart murmur. The tonsilitis was treated, Dr said he should be on VitC to boost his immune system and we also improved on his dental hygiene ( talk about brushing 2ce daily, rinsing his mouth after eating). He referred us to a Paed Cardiologist and included all medical history.
Fastforward to an active 3 years old, the heart murmur has been thoroughly examined, he will most likely outgrow it but we need to be careful so the heart doesnt get an infection, so another round of antibiotics was prescribed to be taken for 6 months at a stretch.
You know why the Dr was worried about an infection? My son had an history of infection in his upper extremities and has a high risk of developing endocarditis, which we dont want.
Imagine if we never went to an hospital.
Ordinary Vit C saved my son from recurrent infections.
Tonsilitis helped us discover he had a heart murmur, so we can at least monitor him properly.

Your daughter might need her own dermatologist cos she might be easily susceptible to fungal infections ( which would be higher if she is on antibacterials and steroids that strip off the skin layers).

Goodluck and welldone.

5 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 2:59pm On May 03, 2016
Zaynie, thank you. This is why I don't us like stating names of meds here because people will go the pharmacy and buy it without checking to see first if they are treating the illness or the symptoms of the illness. You may end up treating just the symptoms of that cough or cold but have no idea what caused it in the first place and it will keep coming back. Doctors are not infallible but at least it is a start. God gave Mankind brains and intelligence to develop Modern Medicine. A pharmacist is not a doctor even though they went to med school. Most pharmacists I know actually don't like prescribing medicine sef.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mzfunshy(f): 3:48pm On May 03, 2016
Well done mamas, pls my 15 weeks old son has been sneezing since yesterday and he now has a running nose ( he sweats a lot). Sabi mamas wat do I do?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 03, 2016
Hello to all mamas In the house, please I wanted to prepare pap in powder form for my baby, after all for 3 days,, I was not able to spread under the sun yesterday, ds morning d millet has growth all over, I want to discard it but my mum insist its oksoakinits dt she will rinse and sun dry, pls can I still grind this for my baby
Secondly my baby has rash all over, took her to d who gv mpaedgvcalamine lotion, pls does it help, she is not itchy or anything
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 03, 2016
Hello to all mamas In the house, please I wanted to prepare pap in powder form for my baby, after soaking all for 3 days,, I was not able to spread under the sun yesterday, ds morning d millet has growth all over, I want to discard it but my mum insist its ok dt she will rinse and sun dry, pls can I still grind this for my baby
Secondly my baby has rash all over, took her to d paedgv who cacalaminelaotion, pls does it help, she is not itchy or anything
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Rossy99(f): 4:18pm On May 03, 2016
creamyzone:

Am a new dad and I advice you try out. "Rising raving powder". It very effective for heat. The big one is N400 and small one is N200. It will also protect your baby' skin
i use it for her already bt thr is no changes dtz y am looking for oda remedy.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Rossy99(f): 4:20pm On May 03, 2016
zaynie:

Apply nipp.le cream....lasinoh.
Dont stop brreastfeeding.
is dt d only tin i can apply,dnt tink i can get dt here
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Rhukie(f): 5:29pm On May 03, 2016
good evening supermums, thank you for all the help you've been rendering. please, where can i get nice outfits for my son aside from PEP store. I am based in lagos thank you
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 03, 2016
MiracleMum:

pls can you post the name and/or picture of your baby detangler and leave-in conditioner
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 6:29pm On May 03, 2016
OloriAbdulatif:
Hello to all mamas In the house, please I wanted to prepare pap in powder form for my baby, after soaking all for 3 days,, I was not able to spread under the sun yesterday, ds morning d millet has growth all over, I want to discard it but my mum insist its ok dt she will rinse and sun dry, pls can I still grind this for my baby
Secondly my baby has rash all over, took her to d paedgv who cacalaminelaotion, pls does it help, she is not itchy or anything

Sorry to bother you mama. How can one make pap (whether corn, millet, guinea corn ) in powder form
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MiracleMum(f): 6:38pm On May 03, 2016
Rossy99:
i use it for her already bt thr is no changes dtz y am looking for oda remedy.

Agnesia works better for me.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MiracleMum(f): 6:39pm On May 03, 2016
hotmum:

pls can you post the name and/or picture of your baby detangler and leave-in conditioner

Would snap when I get home.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pricelessV: 7:51pm On May 03, 2016
hello mummies.pls I want to know if I can give my 7 months old Bird custard. and also i heard about adding egg to pap can someone please tell me how it's done and is it suitable for is age
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 03, 2016
MiracleMum:

Would snap when I get home.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.