Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,098 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (593) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4389543 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) (595) (596) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 29, 2016
helovesme:

You are doing all the right things. Continue and do not stop.

However, you need to keep breastfeeding your baby. After feeding her formula, put your nippleee in his mouth and allow him suck. Do this between meal times as often as possible. This will help stimulate milk production.

Thanks sis. I appreciate your prompt response
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ozycy: 9:52pm On Aug 29, 2016
helovesme:

Yours might be refusing to buy asoebi for an event because the cost of the fabric + tailoring will pay for 3 tubs of aptamil. It also might be opting for wigs rather than "sew in" (wigs are cheaper on the long run than going to the salon every 2 weeks). So just sit down and think of one personal "need/luxury" and cross it off your list. smiley

I don't even buy things for myself o or do any expensive thing for myself. Everything about me it's children this children that. GOD help us. I don't even know which one is better between when they are babies and when they are grown. you don't talk about money for tin of milk anymore, you start talking about money for school fees, cos the higher they go, the higher their school fees
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ozycy: 9:59pm On Aug 29, 2016
Onegai:

Is your case not better than madam Baby E whom I was forced to buy Gerber milk that cheesy
Lol. How old is baby E?

I read your post on cloth diaper and went to dig out my old cloth diapers, I used it for previous baby, not everyday dou, just when we run out of diaper or I just feel like using it, I ve used it few times for baby S too.
OK, I cut some pieces of cloth from a flannel to use as liners so as to make washing easier cos the poo stain on the diaper itself is always tasking to wash out as I have to soak well before it can come off completely and the white colour retained. I attached pix, make una no laugh me o lol #just experimenting #
Modified : picture removed.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ozycy: 10:08pm On Aug 29, 2016
Mumjb:
;DHello mamas...

Gud afternoon...

me and my princess yaff finally come to join u mamas...

hope we re welcome.
Welcome mama
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 10:56pm On Aug 29, 2016
ozycy:

Lol. How old is baby E?

I read your post on cloth diaper and went to dig out my old cloth diapers, I used it for previous baby, not everyday dou, just when we run out of diaper or I just feel like using it, I ve used it few times for baby S too.
OK, I cut some pieces of cloth from a flannel to use as liners so as to make washing easier cos the poo stain on the diaper itself is always tasking to wash out as I have to soak well before it can come off completely and the white colour retained. I attached pix, make una no laugh me o lol #just experimenting #

Yeah, those stains. You can do a 20 mins cold bleach soak after they have been washed, once a month and dry them facing the sun. Stains should be gone. We use our diapers daily, from morning till night, then use a disposable at night (though sometimes I end up changing her to a cloth diaper at around 2am/3am). That is just because Himself can't change a cloth diaper. That way, a pack of 34 diapers can last us a month easily (since we only use one at night most nights). The trick is to get enough diapers so you don't wash daily. Keep those flannel and use them as wipes, I love my flannel wipes and you won't regret them. I first wondered if cloth diapers saved money in Nigeria (since diapers were so cheap here) but with what I've experienced I believe more strongly that they do. Because we would have been forced to buy the U.S. Huggies or Pampers in cartons (the local ones made her scratch her skin off till she bled or would always leak nightly). I pray we survive our change era.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Liftedhands(f): 12:07am On Aug 30, 2016
Onegai:

You see your life! Fulani herdsmen are everywia rampaging, instead of you to stop one and politely ask for fresh milk, you're buying imported formula! It's people like you that are destroying the economy, but Naija to grow the Naira grin grin grin

Just imagine the scene:

Fulani herdsmen, exchanging hot words with some villagers. "Aboki!! Maalu!!" walahi, ah kee u!". Enter LiftedH.ands, catwalking prettily with a keg in her hands.
Lift.edHands: "please can I have some fresh milk?" (You know she will deploy her oyinbo accent to ask!)
Fulani Herdsmen "Walahi! So biuriful! Abdul, give dat yarinya some fura de nunu"
Villagers: "see, they're giving milk to our tribespeople, they can't be all bad".

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how LiftedH.ands will stop all these sad stories we hear. The End.

We need to convince LiftedH.ands to go and get fresh milk....cheesy
grin grin grin grin grin grin lwkmd mama this your narrative/ description is cracking me up big time! So funny.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Liftedhands(f): 12:10am On Aug 30, 2016
Orirebaby continue giving baby breast and do so more often your production will increase sorry dear.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 30, 2016

7 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 6:20am On Aug 30, 2016
Liftedhands:
Orirebaby continue giving baby breast and do so more often your production will increase sorry dear.

Thanks sis. God bless you
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 9:50am On Aug 30, 2016
@last! baby Olamide got his 2 teeth @11 months and he took his first steps same month. I can't thank God enough. No form of any discomfort at all.

Thanks to momma babythug, helovesme for ur advice on this forum, u might have forgotten but can't forget when u guys told me that children are different in their milestone development.

Sabi mamas, I hail o.

September 27 loading......... Thank u Jesus.

9 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Liftedhands(f): 11:52am On Aug 30, 2016
Orirebaby you are welcome.

Comtem2011 congrats to baby Olamide! May this be first of many fruitful steps he will take in Jesus name amen.

Ma'am Zionx the Lord is your strength.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by DANZAK(f): 12:06pm On Aug 30, 2016
Liftedhands:
Danzak have you tried expressing breast milk so that your baby can get more? Or you look for another formula to try see if baby will accept it.

Yes dear, the Dr also advised me to be expressing milk which I started on Saturday night though I don't get more than 60ml but I now supplement with formula as advised by @Babythug.
His poo is no longer green, it has returned to the normal yellow/oily.
Thank you great mums for your prompt responses and concern, I really appreciate it.
God bless you all.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by PresVA: 12:33pm On Aug 30, 2016
Hello mamas. . My house is somewhat noisy due to generators, car horns ettcc.. so I'm thinking of buying earmuffs for my unborn baby to avoid the noise affecting him..
Don't know if this is advisable and wise?
Thanks smiley

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 2:35pm On Aug 30, 2016
PresVA:
Hello mamas. . My house is somewhat noisy due to generators, car horns ettcc.. so I'm thinking of buying earmuffs for my unborn baby to avoid the noise affecting him..
Thanks smiley

Awww, what a concerned mama. Why not soundproof your house? Because those earmuffs may not be super-comfortable (unless you can find special newborn ones). Look for the quietest room and soundproof it. The local way of doing so is to put mattress across the windows but it makes it hot. So I'm sure there's a better way.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by naturalfood(f): 2:53pm On Aug 30, 2016
i package natural babyfood, it is strictly prepared hygienically for babies 5months upward
NATURESMART BABY FOOD HAVE THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS IN 1KG

RICHYMILLET
MAZYSOY
YUMMYSORGHUM
WHEATYMEAL
BROWN RICE

ALL IN POWDER FORM, YOU CAN SEND ME A MAIL ON naturesmartfoods@gmail.com or call me on 08090492156 FOR MORE EXPLANATION. THANK YOU. GOD BLESS OUR KIDDIES.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 3:31pm On Aug 30, 2016
PresVA:
Thanks smiley

I won't worry too much about the noise.

You will be surprised how babies adapt to their natural environment and sleep through the noise.

I have seen babies sleep very soundly during night vigils and very noisy church environment without a care in the world.

You can invest in a very good rechargeable fan. So when the generators are on or you feel the noise is too much, you can shut the doors/Windows and put on the fan when there is no electricity.

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 4:50pm On Aug 30, 2016
Hello everyone. I'd like to ask a question please: how many of you have started reading to your children? What age did you start? Do you have a preference for a type of book (religious, cultural, early learning etc)? Do you know where to find books affordably? Do you think it's important to read to your child or do you hope the creche/daycare does it?

I'm asking because we keep addressing the physical well-being of our children but no-one mentions the mental well-being. And I think we rely a bit too much on teachers whom are (in all honestly) doing that job to cash a paycheck rather than because they want to give your kids the best knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by PresVA: 6:41pm On Aug 30, 2016
Onegai:

Awww, what a concerned mama. Why not soundproof your house? Because those earmuffs may not be super-comfortable (unless you can find special newborn ones). Look for the quietest room and soundproof it. The local way of doing so is to put mattress across the windows but it makes it hot. So I'm sure there's a better way.
Thanks a lot. .soundproofing is a good option, will tell my husband about it. .

helovesme:

I won't worry too much about the noise.
You will be surprised how babies adapt to their natural environment and sleep through the noise.
I have seen babies sleep very soundly during night vigils and very noisy church environment without a care in the world.
You can invest in a very good rechargeable fan. So when the generators are on or you feel the noise is too much, you can shut the doors/Windows and put on the fan when there is no electricity.
My problem isn't really with baby catching some sleep, my problem is whether the noise may affect his ear drums or something. .
My street was recently tarred, so all commuters changed route, most of them ply my street now.. The most annoying ones are the keke napep with their loud music. . And there's a road bump just by our fence, most of the drivers will speed like they've forgotten there's a bump ahead, then comes screeching of tires. .
And our rooms are close to the fence and our fence is just by the road..
Some times I have to use earpiece inorder to get some sleep... My husband always jokes that we're practically living on the road. sad

Then night comes generator sound, though this one can be taken care of..

They're making plans to fence our street and put a gate, I hope it comes through. . Till then, I'm just worried about my baby's ears.. it's well

Will ask my doctor on Thursday about it...
Thanks a lot. .
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Doubledouble: 7:25pm On Aug 30, 2016
Onegai:
Hello everyone. I'd like to ask a question please: how many of you have started reading to your children? What age did you start? Do you have a preference for a type of book (religious, cultural, early learning etc)? Do you know where to find books affordably? Do you think it's important to read to your child or do you hope the creche/daycare does it?
I'm asking because we keep addressing the physical well-being of our children but no-one mentions the mental well-being. And I think we rely a bit too much on teachers whom are (in all honestly) doing that job to cash a paycheck rather than because they want to give your kids the best knowledge.

Reading to your babies is very important. I started reading to my babies right from the womb and have continued till date. I started with babies bedtime prayer book when they were still in the womb. Now don't call me crazy, but I believe they recognize the reading from their wee days in the womb, just like they recognize my special song to them.

It is very important to read to the little ones as it helps build their interest, the coloured pictures also helps. It helps in building listening skills, it also helps their attention span and memory, et al...

I don't know where to get books at affordable price in Nigeria....is there even anywhere in this country to get anything at a good price?? Hmmm... On the type of books, I read the prayer book- religious-, fictional entertaining stories and I love showing them shapes in books. Reading to babies should not be left to the teachers alone, parents should endeavour to spend time reading and doing other little things with the kids. All the best though, with the books not ending up in their mouth!

8 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ahnie: 7:58pm On Aug 30, 2016
Please I need help,help me o

My 14months daughter z at it again...she keep rejecting her pap,and always insists on goldenmorn and happy hour drink.what will I do!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by soonest(f): 10:16pm On Aug 30, 2016
ahnie:

My 14months daughter z at it again...she keep rejecting her pap,and always insists on goldenmorn and happy hour drink.what will I do!
She's tired of pap na! Give her the goldenmorn that she likes, in that way she's happy and you are happy. Hope you have started giving her family diets too.
The happy hour drink should be once in awhile not regularly. Regards to Miss Zino
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 10:44pm On Aug 30, 2016
Doubledouble:

Reading to your babies is very important. I started reading to my babies right from the womb and have continued till date. I started with babies bedtime prayer book when they were still in the womb. Now don't call me crazy, but I believe they recognize the reading from their wee days in the womb, just like they recognize my special song to them.

It is very important to read to the little ones as it helps build their interest, the coloured pictures also helps. It helps in building listening skills, it also helps their attention span and memory, et al...

I don't know where to get books at affordable price in Nigeria....is there even anywhere in this country to get anything at a good price?? Hmmm... On the type of books, I read the prayer book- religious-, fictional entertaining stories and I love showing them shapes in books. Reading to babies should not be left to the teachers alone, parents should endeavour to spend time reading and doing other little things with the kids. All the best though, with the books not ending up in their mouth!

The reason I'm asking is for research purposes. Something interesting may come up soon.
We have a mini-library of books and baby E actually brings her books to me to read for her. If you are in Lagos, your best bet is CSS Bookshop on Broad street and its environs. Books go from about N350 upwards there. Also ZODML library is free and well-stocked, with literacy programs targeting kids and is located in Awolowo road, Ikoyi.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 5:58am On Aug 31, 2016
Liftedhands,
Thank u ma, Amen to the prayer. God bless u fr d love.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 6:20am On Aug 31, 2016
Onegai the:

I'm asking because we keep addressing the physical well-being of our children but no-one menti the mental well-being. And I think we re (ly a bit too much on teachers whom ae (in all honestly) doing that job to cash a paycheck rather than because they want to give your kids the best knowledge.
I started reading to him when he was 8 months old cos I learnt that from Mr Google. Though most of d storylines r from the internet, we do this during the day and at bedtime but he doesn't listen as he is always busy playing or wants to suck.

Also, his father got him different types of cartoon to be watching since we discovered that he likes watching TV, he would just concentrate as if he knows what they r doing. I read Bible to him a lot especially the book of Proverbs, but he is always struggling to collect d bible self.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 6:41am On Aug 31, 2016
ahnie:

same with my baby since he clocked 9 months, my saving grace is the family diet I introduced to him on time and he is really enjoying it. He now preferred packaged cereals to pap.
He doesn't joke with jar food at all, but as per juice, I give him home made juice like orange, water melon. I started using cup and soft spoon for him instead of pouring the juice in feeding bottle (courtesy of alphahandmaiden and helovesme).
I blended local rice which I made in form of pap and added formula, semo mix with milk, wheat mix with milk and they r yummy ( I can't come and kpai with this Buhari era).

Try and introduce other homemade cereal to her and homemade juice instead of happy hour, though she can take carton juice once in a while like mama soonest suggested.

As adult, we also get tired of some food at a particular time.
Posh baby Zino, I love ur style. u no be Palo babe.

mama soonest, pls at what age can we start giving Goldenmorn?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Mumjb(f): 9:19am On Aug 31, 2016
ozycy:
Welcome mama
thank u ma
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 9:35am On Aug 31, 2016
Onegai:

I started reading to him when he was about one month old. This is because I got a bag of free books from the health visitor. I did this very regularly till he was about 7months. I actually had his books by my bedside so it made it easy to read to him when we are on the bed together.

Amongst his stash of toys are several books. Sometimes he flips through them himself obviously because they are all colourful books and other times I read to him.

He attends nursery and they read to him very often. I have bumped into the baby room unannounced and unexpected to find him cuddled up to one of the nursery staff with a book being read to him. As young as he is, he goes along with other kids on day trips to the library.

Although I do not read to him very often these days (maybe once every other weekend), I'm happy that area is being adequately covered by his nursery.

7 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 10:56am On Aug 31, 2016
Comtem2011, I've read and have been told, that too much tv below the age of 2 is not good. That there are studies which monitor their brain pattern during watching tv and it shows very little brain activity during watching (they can't interact with the tv so they don't use their brains) so tv doesn't benefit them before the age of 2, which leads to slower learning at that age. My daughter does the same thing: quiet in front of the tv, but she can recognise 2 or 3 shows she likes. But she doesn't talk much when watching it. Funny enough, she is now singing "Twinkle Twinkle little star" and she learnt it from me singing it to her and not from YouTube videos showing it (she can't recognise it when it is showing). I guess that's why books are recommended more, babies can feel and touch it and interact with it.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ahnie: 11:05am On Aug 31, 2016
soonest:

She's tired of pap na! Give her the goldenmorn that she likes, in that way she's happy and you are happy. Hope you have started giving her family diets too.
The happy hour drink should be once in awhile not regularly. Regards to Miss Zino

Family diets..yes for long..she no longer takes her usual bread n tea,even swallows and pap..but only goldenmorn.

Nne dalu.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 11:52am On Aug 31, 2016
Onegai:
Comtem2011, I've read and have been told, that too much tv below the age of 2 is not good. That there are studies which monitor their brain pattern during watching tv and it shows very little brain activity during watching (they can't interact with the tv so they don't use their brains) so tv doesn't benefit them before the age of 2, which leads to slower learning at that age. My daughter does the same thing: quiet in front of the tv, but she can recognise 2 or 3 shows she likes. But she doesn't talk much when watching it. Funny enough, she is now singing "Twinkle Twinkle little star" and she learnt it from me singing it to her and not from YouTube videos showing it (she can't recognise it when it is showing). I guess that's why books are recommended more, babies can feel and touch it and interact with it.
God bless u ma for this piece. I really appreciate.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by lcoral(f): 1:24pm On Aug 31, 2016
i really do appreciate contributions from mothers on the reading topic. very educative and i have learnt something new.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 2:01pm On Aug 31, 2016
Onegai:

I read to my daughter and sing to her too. I got this pinkfong app on my fone with colourful display of stories and songs. It catches her fancy,i do sing along and read along.. I also got her singing books.
I wanna get her more simple lettered colourful books.
I will check out broad street anybody know any other place in mainland i will appreciate.
She is 3months plus.

Can i start giving her abidec n codliver drops now

(1) (2) (3) ... (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) (595) (596) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.