Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,455 members, 7,801,126 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (644) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4383920 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (641) (642) (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 2:50pm On Sep 29, 2016
cutiereborn and musmgirl27, at that age, wean verryyyy slowly. We just weaned at 15 months. The hardest feed to stop is at night, especially when baby uses it to fall asleep. So for one week, just stop feeding her when she wakes up at night. Baby will cry and all you can do is hand her over to hubby and leave the room until she sleeps back. Also when she wakes at night, give her water to drink. Then once that has been established after a week, stop feeding her to sleep. She will really cry, but know that in 2-3 weeks, she will be fully weaned. The slower you go, the less engorged you feel in your breast. The good thing is, once you wean, baby starts sleeping through the night.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 2:59pm On Sep 29, 2016
Prettyhurts, thanks for sending out those greetings to our missing-in-action Mums. I guess some of them may have moved on or are more active in the Pregnancy Thread and that is fine, if they feel comfy there. Though I have a feeling sometimes questions are lost and it would be hard to answer pregnancy-related questions.

We welcome all our new and old mothers, please always feel free to drop in, say hello, share your funny stories and tough times. We are drama-free here (due to lack of sleep grin) and we pass on our advice with Love (even if it may sound harsh, I'm sure everyone means well). If you don't get a reply immediately, ask again and mention some monikers (questions may get lost sometimes), we aren't ignoring anyone. Remember, we are all rooting for you to succeed and be an awesome Mum and help other new mums. It's a circle smiley

13 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutiereborn(f): 3:04pm On Sep 29, 2016
Onegai:
cutiereborn and musmgirl27, at that age, wean verryyyy slowly. We just weaned at 15 months. The hardest feed to stop is at night, especially when baby uses it to fall asleep. So for one week, just stop feeding her when she wakes up at night. Baby will cry and all you can do is hand her over to hubby and leave the room until she sleeps back. Also when she wakes at night, give her water to drink. Then once that has been established after a week, stop feeding her to sleep. She will really cry, but know that in 2-3 weeks, she will be fully weaned. The slower you go, the less engorged you feel in your breast. The good thing is, once you wean, baby starts sleeping through the night.
Thank you for this wonderful tip Ma'am.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mumsgirl27(f): 3:06pm On Sep 29, 2016
Onegai:

Thank you so much mama..how is your Lo doing nd also can u recommend any milk for my 13months daughter apart from NAN and peak 123. Thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 3:18pm On Sep 29, 2016
mumsgirl27:

Thank you so much mama..how is your Lo doing nd also can u recommend any milk for my 13months daughter apart from NAN and peak 123. Thanks

Well, a couple of little birdies told me that after 1 year, toddlers can drink any type of Whole milk. That follow-up milk is a marketing ploy to package whole milk and sell more expensively. Also, DrAda mentioned here that actually Peak123 is loaded with sugar. So, you can give Nido, Dano or whatever as long as it is Whole/Full-cream milk (same thing).

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 3:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
grin double post
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 3:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
Hello mamas how una dey.

Happybirthday baby olivia cutiereborn.send down d. Cake to ur fellow yaba mama o.
I wee bi waiting grin

Adeime
My case is easier cos mil came.i bought those avent storage cups.they are leak proof and can stack up and u can express directly to dem.
So my dd feeds every 2hrs. I normally express 5 120ml cups everyday.
I express d evening before and put in d freezer.
When am leaving in the morning. I bring out d first feed.tp thaw .it is den warmed in warm water not hot o.
While feeding her her next feed is brot out to thaw. Till i come back.

My colleague that used creche got a very good thermal bag.den got ice pack. She got one dt came with medela pump like a bottle so it stays.in d absense of dt u can get ur icepacks in a bottle or ice bags and wrap in nylon to prevent water from filling d bag when defrosting.
She puts d frozen milk in d thermal bag with d icepack.it keeps it chilled.then she has another bag for hottle water flask then the feeding bottles.she puts 3 or 4 depending on d hours u r away. She doesnt trust d creche with sterilizing.

So she made dfriends with d creche caregiver so they r extracareful in handling d bottle nipples.bought santizers for dem and soaps plus tips for proposed job well done.

She taught them how to thaw d milk at room twmperature den warm and give d baby.

Thats how she did her own exclusive.
It is very important to store milk in quantities ur baby can finish at one go. So they dont feed d baby with leftover milk.it is not advisable to do so.
So they jus pick a bottle per feed.

This was my plan b.but as God will have it mil was available. Hope it helps u.

Concerning hind milk.wat i do sometimes wis to feed baby after pumping.
Also sometimes i mix the first milk and the hind den share n the cups for storage.
Like cup A has d watery first milk and B has thick hind milk.
I turn both milk in cup C den share again between cup A and B. Quality milk grin

Ok bye. Kizzezz

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 29, 2016
Onegai:
Prettyhurts, thanks for sending out those greetings to our missing-in-action Mums. I guess some of them may have moved on or are more active in the Pregnancy Thread and that is fine, if they feel comfy there. Though I have a feeling sometimes questions are lost and it would be hard to answer pregnancy-related questions.

We welcome all our new and old mothers, please always feel free to drop in, say hello, share your funny stories and tough times. We are drama-free here (due to lack of sleep grin) and we pass on our advice with Love (even if it may sound harsh, I'm sure everyone means well). If you don't get a reply immediately, ask again and mention some monikers (questions may get lost sometimes), we aren't ignoring anyone. Remember, we are all rooting for you to succeed and be an awesome Mum and help other new mums. It's a circle smiley

Ywc, I believe after that last qwanta in pregnancy thread, some mama's just decided to mind their biz and become a silent peeper. E aff not fair o jare, if everybody decides to be a guest who'll answer questions and keep the thread going. Is that how you mama's use to do??
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Abiagirl777(f): 4:32pm On Sep 29, 2016
I use to enjoy itoo at ist truth be told but its no more funny,'ve had it up to here,a lot of ppl will laugh but its becoming frustrating,when things are overdone it can cause problems.everybody said with time he'll stop or get tired but it gets worse each passing day.
it is my hubby who can't stay one hour without cleaning things,today alone the house has been mobbed thrice and swept four times of course by himself,the most annoying is that every activity has to be halted while work is in progress.i mean this cleaning goes on at all times even during sex.
I'm not a dirty person and never will be,intact my friends always complimented in that area but when you have someone who overdoes it,I get tired.
even my 1 Yr old is not allowed to play too much,I just suggested this afternoon that he buys us flying carpets so we fly around the house.
I have watched videos of ppl with OCD but ain't convinced.
is this OCD or normal over cleanliness because the nagging is getting to me.right now in my house even if you wantvto eat garden egg ,he'd gladly get you a large tray so that even one seed doesn't touch the floor

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pintoxx(m): 4:43pm On Sep 29, 2016
mompurity2:
Hello mamas. Been a while I posted here. Welcome to the new mamas.

MY LOS of 13weeks plus no longer sleep until about 11.:30pm and then sleep without waking up to feed till 5am or so.
Should I wake them to feed at night or just allow them to sleep till 5am?

Mummy,allow dem 2 sleep o,1 thing i know is dat babies wake up themselves wen hungry,babies hav sleeping pattern n it's always changing as dey grow,pls just enjoy dis pattern cos u hav no idea what d next pattern will b like.I envy u sha,no more vigilante 4now.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Abiagirl777(f): 4:45pm On Sep 29, 2016
baby Olivia happy birthday and many more celebrations,you are a blessing to your family already.mum cutiereborn package our cakeoo

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pheesayor(m): 4:45pm On Sep 29, 2016
Liftedhands , hotmum , temmy2103 , Onegai , mitchyy ,

thank you for your response. We went to Dr. Abimbola Awoliyi Memorial Hospital on Bamgbose street in Lagos, they have the phototherapy lamp and baby was clean after almost 48hrs.

What do you feel about giving the baby (less than 2 weeks old) multivitamin? A cousin of mine bought Abidec yesterday, I insisted baby won't take it until I confirm. Also what happens to the baby's navel and will she fee pains there? Doctors told us to keep cleaning with spirit like we were doing before it fell off but my MIL keeps massaging it with hot (at times warm) towel to my displeasure.
Now she's got "agbo" for what she calls "oka" but looking at the baby's head there's nothing of such, I'm just tired.
Baby got no issues as far as I see, she only cries when hungry and when she needs to belch.

Opinions please

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 5:07pm On Sep 29, 2016
pheesayor, doctors in the U.S. give Vitamin D to newborna because of their diet and medical concerns. Here in Nigeria, we don't have such dietary issues (ours are different) and I'm quite sure a lot of doctors would not recommend any multivitamin till after 6 months.

Don't give Agbo. I do not trust our current crop of trado-medical practitioners (and I say that as someone who likes Alternative Medicine). You don't want to do anything to a newborn's fragile constitution.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutiereborn(f): 5:10pm On Sep 29, 2016
everfaithfulGod:
Happy birthday to pretty damsel Olivia. You shall continue to grow in wisdom, knowledge,understanding and stature. congratulations ma'am.
Amen, Thanks Ma'am
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 5:13pm On Sep 29, 2016
Abiagirl777:
I use to enjoy itoo at ist truth be told but its no more funny,'ve had it up to here,a lot of ppl will laugh but its becoming frustrating,when things are overdone it can cause problems.everybody said with time he'll stop or get tired but it gets worse each passing day.
it is my hubby who can't stay one hour without cleaning things,today alone the house has been mobbed thrice and swept four times of course by himself,the most annoying is that every activity has to be halted while work is in progress.i mean this cleaning goes on at all times even during sex.
I'm not a dirty person and never will be,intact my friends always complimented in that area but when you have someone who overdoes it,I get tired.
even my 1 Yr old is not allowed to play too much,I just suggested this afternoon that he buys us flying carpets so we fly around the house.
is this OCD or normal over cleanliness because the nagging is getting to me.right now in my house even if you wantvto eat garden egg ,he'd gladly get you a large tray so that even one seed doesn't touch the floor

One of my brothers has OCD. One of my cousins has OCD (and he has 3 kids and all-white carpets all over his house). I think you have to get used to it. What you can do is encourage him, with baby steps, to mention something he notices should be clean and then leave it to you to handle. And you have to be very patient and reward him for everytime he allows himself to lose control of the situation e.g. "Baby I'm so glad you left me to tidy up the kitchen, I even cleaned the fridge!". Positive Reinforcement works a lot. If he wants you to use a tray to eat Garden eggs, use it. Let him win the small battles and start weaning him off his need to control his environment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutiereborn(f): 5:13pm On Sep 29, 2016
christybabe:
Happy birthday baby Olivia, age with grace little one.
Thank you Ma
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by tyconcepts(f): 5:34pm On Sep 29, 2016
cutiereborn:
Good morning lovely Mothers!
Please help me celebrate and bless God.
My princess, Olivia is One today.
Sweetheart, you will live long on earth to fulfill God's purpose for your life, Amen.
Happy Birthday!!!

Happy baby Olivia....First always you will be.

My secret : I have plans to name my next baby (I wish for a baby girl) OLIVIA.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 6:12pm On Sep 29, 2016
Pls mamas is it true sexually active women can't take cervical vaccine
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutiereborn(f): 6:17pm On Sep 29, 2016
IryNky:

Happy birthday Olivia. Grow with grace.
Thank you Ma.
@mumsgirl27, thanks for the wishes. I believe you saw mum onegai's post where she addressed the bf issue. It is well with our los
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 6:35pm On Sep 29, 2016
rofemiguwa:
Pls mamas is it true sexually active women can't take cervical vaccine

Gardisil bah? That's what I heard, that you have to take it before being sexually active to protect against HPV. I don't know if I should give Baby E when the time comes (because quite a few parents in the U.S. don't like it), but I think you and I don't qualify. Or what does the Nigerian Medical Council say?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Adeime: 7:26pm On Sep 29, 2016
Many thanks rofemiguwa uve been crying helpful....God bless you big tym.
rofemiguwa:
Hello mamas how una dey.

Happybirthday baby olivia cutiereborn.send down d. Cake to ur fellow yaba mama o.
I wee bi waiting grin

Adeime
My case is easier cos mil came.i bought those avent storage cups.they are leak proof and can stack up and u can express directly to dem.
So my dd feeds every 2hrs. I normally express 5 120ml cups everyday.
I express d evening before and put in d freezer.
When am leaving in the morning. I bring out d first feed.tp thaw .it is den warmed in warm water not hot o.
While feeding her her next feed is brot out to thaw. Till i come back.

My colleague that used creche got a very good thermal bag.den got ice pack. She got one dt came with medela pump like a bottle so it stays.in d absense of dt u can get ur icepacks in a bottle or ice bags and wrap in nylon to prevent water from filling d bag when defrosting.
She puts d frozen milk in d thermal bag with d icepack.it keeps it chilled.then she has another bag for hottle water flask then the feeding bottles.she puts 3 or 4 depending on d hours u r away. She doesnt trust d creche with sterilizing.

So she made dfriends with d creche caregiver so they r extracareful in handling d bottle nipples.bought santizers for dem and soaps plus tips for proposed job well done.

She taught them how to thaw d milk at room twmperature den warm and give d baby.

Thats how she did her own exclusive.
It is very important to store milk in quantities ur baby can finish at one go. So they dont feed d baby with leftover milk.it is not advisable to do so.
So they jus pick a bottle per feed.

This was my plan b.but as God will have it mil was available. Hope it helps u.

Concerning hind milk.wat i do sometimes wis to feed baby after pumping.
Also sometimes i mix the first milk and the hind den share n the cups for storage.
Like cup A has d watery first milk and B has thick hind milk.
I turn both milk in cup C den share again between cup A and B. Quality milk grin

Ok bye. Kizzezz

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by barak4real(f): 7:30pm On Sep 29, 2016
Good evening,please my lo tummy mumbles and she stretches but not as if she is in pain ,she is just two weeks ..hope it is normal.....or is it the navel? Help a ftm .

Cc all mamas,mitchyy..
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by cutiereborn(f): 8:04pm On Sep 29, 2016
Abiagirl777:
baby Olivia happy birthday and many more celebrations,you are a blessing to your family already.mum cutiereborn package our cakeoo
Thank you Ma. Will bluetooth the cake wink
@tyconcepts, Thank you Ma. Olivia is a beautiful name gotten from Olive(peace).
@Rofemiguwa, thank Cappo for kid's book. Will make sure I bluetooth yours as well tongue

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 8:04pm On Sep 29, 2016
Adeime:
Many thanks rofemiguwa uve been crying helpful....God bless you big tym.
This is wat d storage cups look like.
Will send d numba
Lata

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 8:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
Onegai:

Gardisil bah? That's what I heard, that you have to take it before being sexually active to protect against HPV. I don't know if I should give Baby E when the time comes (because quite a few parents in the U.S. don't like it), but I think you and I don't qualify. Or what does the Nigerian Medical Council say?

O boy!!
I planned to go get vaccinated but my boss told me it isnt 4 me.my time haf pass.
Googled.they said dir is still some form of protection but not fully.
Jus confused now
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mompurity2: 9:00pm On Sep 29, 2016
Thanks mamas. You mamas are my go- to mamas. AlphaHandMaiden, olatebony, pinyoxx, onegai.
The reason for my worry is that they were born preterm and I am still trying my best to make them out on weight quick.

I have some more questions. .............

Is it normal for my babies to be taking 90ml of milk for more than 2 weeks now? I thought their demand is supposed to be increasing like every week.

Would it also be okay if I introduce pap and other cereal when they are 4months plus?

One of my friends said post partum belt widens/opens the vjay, how true is that?

Should I also expect them to achieve their milestones like sitting at 4months old, crawling, walking etc like most full term babies??
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zaynie(f): 9:27pm On Sep 29, 2016
Prettyhurts:
#troubletime
If you've ever given your less than 6months old agbo, mumi Zaynie oil/ sugar therapy and you're saying I'm doing EBF, you're on a looong thing.

#najokeoooo

Na so trouble dey start o! cheesy cheesy
Like Olatebony said...... second hand ebf noni wink

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Adeime: 9:49pm On Sep 29, 2016
Ok o mamas I have decided to opt out of EBF I cannot come and kill myself abeg
I'm alone with my ds and decided to try expressing today this afternoon specifically; ds gulped down the 160ml in no time and still latch on my breast ( he didn't even give room for me to express more as He kept crying for more food) now that's not the problem the major problem is I'm home alone with him and everyone that came for omugwo have disappeared to school and my mum to her husband so I have no help
Today alone I was running pillar to post to bath him wash his clothes tidy the house and cook as my dh is around (although he'd be off to work 4 1 month)
Now I wonder how I'd couple all these with work when I resume hence my reason....Please any sabi mama in similar shoes that has successfully done EBF should advise how they went about it.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 9:52pm On Sep 29, 2016
Abiagirl777:
A beg I no fit laugh o.

My hubby was once like that but his own is cooking, mehn that thing can be annoying. If am cooking my food jeje, he will b asking if I have put maggi, salt, how many cube of maggi, how did I slice d onions. One day I just left the kitchen and allow d food to get burnt, he asked me why and I told him that he is the one in charge of the kitchen not me, that I can no longer tolerate him, I told him I have been cooking for my family members before I met him, that was how he stopped.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 10:09pm On Sep 29, 2016
pheesayor:
Liftedhands , hotmum , temmy2103 , Onegai , mitchyy ,

thank you for your response. We went to Dr. Abimbola Awoliyi Memorial Hospital on Bamgbose street in Lagos, they have the phototherapy lamp and baby was clean after almost 48hrs.

What do you feel about giving the baby (less than 2 weeks old) multivitamin? A cousin of mine bought Abidec yesterday, I insisted baby won't take it until I confirm. Also what happens to the baby's navel and will she fee pains there? Doctors told us to keep cleaning with spirit like we were doing before it fell off but my MIL keeps massaging it with hot (at times warm) towel to my displeasure.
Now she's got "agbo" for what she calls "oka" but looking at the baby's head there's nothing of such, I'm just tired.
Baby got no issues as far as I see, she only cries when hungry and when she needs to belch.

Opinions please
That massaging is okay to prevent colic/restlessness. But stop any orthodox application on the head and don't allow anybody to give your baby agbo.

My MIL even bought this tailor oil and said that's what mothers now use for the soft spot, I told her not to use anything on my baby that my baby is okay, this is the baby I ve been taking care of before she came, she was angry that I don't give him medication and I told her my baby is not sick. She wanted to give him agbo and I told his son that nobody should give my baby anything to drink if they don't want wahala. After telling her not to massage d my baby Pen.., she wanted to if not my sister that called my attention.

Pls whatever you don't want tell hour hubby to tell his mum and stand your ground, things have changed from their time.

Be polite on ur approach but stand your ground.

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 10:24pm On Sep 29, 2016
Mitchyy, how far about the cradle cap/ dandruff u complained about?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Abiagirl777(f): 1:40am On Sep 30, 2016
hmmm,thanks mamas Onegai ,&contem,will see what has to be done.but in case anyone knows where flying carpets are sold I'd gladly buy.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (641) (642) (643) (644) (645) (646) (647) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.