Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

And They Say Its Not A Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / And They Say Its Not A Religion (1030 Views)

Ex Muslim: Qur'an Revealed A Religion I Did Not Like / Atheism Is A Religion / Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

And They Say Its Not A Religion by oncode1: 8:24am On Jun 23, 2012
Someone posted this on her facebook wall and I taught I share because its Interesting.

"Even a successful atheist is a religious atheist! because he must continue 2 maintain certain strict tenents of belief or belief systems,which is wat regious is all abt. D only difference between anatheist & monotheist is dat d latter believes in his God,while d former believes in himself.”Bt a self-made man is self-destroyed man“D. O.Oyedepo"
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by Jenwitemi(m): 8:54am On Jun 23, 2012
And a religion-made man is a religion-destroyed man. Check mate! grin
on-code:
”Bt a self-made man is self-destroyed man“D. O.Oyedepo"
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by logicboy01: 9:00am On Jun 23, 2012
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by thehomer: 9:18am On Jun 23, 2012
on-code:
Someone posted this on her facebook wall and I taught I share because its Interesting.

"Even a successful atheist is a religious atheist! because he must continue 2 maintain certain strict tenents of belief or belief systems,which is wat regious is all abt. D only difference between anatheist & monotheist is dat d latter believes in his God,while d former believes in himself.”Bt a self-made man is self-destroyed man“D. O.Oyedepo"

This makes no sense. Is a successful free speech campaigner a religious free speech campaigner? How about a successful conservative? Is that person a religious conservative? You see, when such concepts of religion are used, they simply destroy the meaning of the word "religion".
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by 2good(m): 10:20am On Jun 23, 2012
on-code:

Oyedepo is a fraud star using people's gullibility to gain popularity. Stop this nonsense of making him look like a role model just because many Nigerians refuse to use their brain to think for themselves but instead prefer to be spoon fed by people who are not better than they are.
Atheism is not a religion but a lack of belief in religion!
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 23, 2012
2good:

Oyedepo is a fraud star using people's gullibility to gain popularity. Stop this nonsense of making him look like a role model just because many Nigerians refuse to use their brain to think for themselves but instead prefer to be spoon fed by people who are not better than they are.
A tithe-made man is a slap-destroying bastard....

3 Likes

Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 3:19pm On Jun 23, 2012
thehomer:

This makes no sense. Is a successful free speech campaigner a religious free speech campaigner? How about a successful conservative? Is that person a religious conservative? You see, when such concepts of religion are used, they simply destroy the meaning of the word "religion".

Perhaps it would be a good thing if the meaning of the word 'religion' were destroyed completely. At the moment it is only partially meaningless which is an extremely dangerous way to be. Once it is totally meaningless it loses a great deal of it's ability to cause harm. I think that it is good that all words constantly undergo change in their connotations and denotations.
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 3:25pm On Jun 23, 2012
2good:

That totally depends on what you mean by religion. If religion merely means a belief that you hold strongly then the world is full of more religions than are accounted for. A lot more, probably more than we can actually count, considering that new religions are being formed every minute. And Atheism would be one of them.

However if Religion is a PRACTICE, an activity, whose aim is to bring harmony to the life of the practitioner, then that is a different kettle of fish altogether . . . .
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by vescucci(m): 11:44am On Jun 24, 2012
^^^ Truth. Religion the way I understand is just a code by which you live by. Whether it be foisted upon you or invented by you is not relevant. We all have our religions.

What Mr. Oyedepo is just trying to say is that an atheist is of no use to him since he won't contribute towards financing private jets and the likes
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by logicboy01: 11:48am On Jun 24, 2012
vescucci:
What Mr. Oyedepo is just trying to say is that an atheist is of no use to him since he won't contribute towards financing private jets and the likes

grin grin grin
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by thehomer: 3:15pm On Jun 24, 2012
Pastor AIO:

Perhaps it would be a good thing if the meaning of the word 'religion' were destroyed completely. At the moment it is only partially meaningless which is an extremely dangerous way to be. Once it is totally meaningless it loses a great deal of it's ability to cause harm. I think that it is good that all words constantly undergo change in their connotations and denotations.

I don't think the word "religion" is what makes it able to cause harm, I think that lies more with the tenets of the religion and the sorts of leaders that arise in them and of course the sort of society they find themselves in.
I personally see no way that atheism, Christianity and Islam can be classified together unless one uses a very broad category.
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 6:16pm On Jun 24, 2012
thehomer:

I don't think the word "religion" is what makes it able to cause harm, I think that lies more with the tenets of the religion and the sorts of leaders that arise in them and of course the sort of society they find themselves in.
I personally see no way that atheism, Christianity and Islam can be classified together unless one uses a very broad category.

One way in which it can cause harm is by pulling a screen of untouchability over many nefarious and criminal behaviours. Con men fleece the naive and do it tax free all under the banner of religion. All manner of nasty things are tolerated once they are under the banner of religion.

Once we recognise religion as meaning just any belief that one adheres to strongly then all ideologies will be able to be exploited commercially without having to pay tax. They will be able to make race hate, and other minority hate, statements respectfully. Nazism as a religion would get away with so much more.

That 'very broad category' is exactly what is needed for the classification and subsequent reduction of religion to meaninglessness.
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by vescucci(m): 6:52pm On Jun 24, 2012
^^^ Just write a book already, Sir.

Where's your favourite argumentative ally/opponent, Deepsight?
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 7:50pm On Jun 24, 2012
I don't know why my post was deleted. Maybe because I put the link. Let me do it again without the links. The book the quotes come from is The Vision of Arda Ardaf, a zoroastrian book from Persia.

18. And there stood before him his own religion and his own deeds, in the graceful form of a damsel, as a beautiful appearance, that is, grown up in virtue; (19) with prominent breasts, that is, her breasts swelled downward, which is charming to the heart and soul; (20) whose form was as brilliant, as the sight of it was the more well-pleasing, the observation of it more desirable.

21. And the soul of the pious asked that damsel (22) thus: 'Who art thou? and what person art thou? than whom, in the world of the living, any damsel more elegant, and of more beautiful body than thine, was never seen by me.'

23. To him replied she who was his own religion and his own deeds, (24) thus: 'I am thy actions, O youth of good thoughts, of good words, of good deeds, of good religion. (25) It is on account of thy will and actions that I am as great and good and sweet-scented and triumphant and undistressed as appears to thee. (26) For in the world the Gathas were chanted by thee, and the good water was consecrated by thee, and the fire tended by thee; (27) and the pious man who came from far, and who was from near, was honored by thee. (28) Though I have been stout, I am made stouter through thee; (29) and though I have been virtuous, I am made more virtuous through thee; (30) and though I have been worthy, I am made more worthy through thee; (31) and though I have been seated on a resplendent throne, I am seated more resplendently through thee; (32) and though I have been exalted, I am made more exalted through thee; (33) through these good thoughts and good words and good deeds which thou practicedst. (34) They honored thee, and the pious man after thee, (35) in that long worship and communion with Ohrmazd, when thou performedst, for Ohrmazd, worship and proper conversation for a long time. (36) Peace be from it.'

(12) And in that wind he saw[b] his own religion and deeds as a profligate woman,[/b] naked, decayed, gapping, bandy-legged, lean-hipped, and unlimitedly spotted so that spot was joined to spot, like the most hideous, noxious creature (khrafstar), most filthy and most stinking.

13. Then that wicked soul spoke thus: 'Who art thou, than whom I never saw any one of the creatures of Ohrmazd and Ahriman uglier, or filthier, or more stinking?'

14. To him she spoke thus: 'I am thy bad actions, O youth of evil thoughts, of evil words, of evil deeds, of evil religion. (15) It is on account of thy will and actions that I am hideous and vile, iniquitous and diseased, rotten and foul-smelling, unfortunate and distressed, as appears to thee. (16) When thou sawest any one who performed the Yazishn and Dron ceremonies, and praise and prayer and the service of God; (17) and preserved and protected water and fire, cattle and trees, and other good creations; (18) thou practicedst the will of Ahriman and the demons, and improper actions. (19) And when thou sawest one who provided hospitable reception, and gave something deservedly in gifts and charity, for the advantage of the good and worthy who came from far, and who were from near; (20) thou wast avaricious, and shuttedst up thy door. (21) And though I have been unholy, I am made more unholy through thee; (22) and though I have been frightful, I am made more frightful through thee; (23) though I have been tremulous, I am made more tremulous through thee; (24) though I am settled in the northern region of the demons, I am settled farther north through thee; (25) through these evil thoughts, and through these evil words, and through these evil deeds, which thou practisedst. (26) They curse me, a long time, in the long execration and evil communion of the Evil spirit.'

27. Afterward, that soul of the wicked advanced the first footstep on Dush-humat and the second footstep on Dush-hukt, and the third on Dush-huvarsht; and with the fourth footstep he ran to hell.

Anyone that wants to look these up further should just google the Book of Arda Viraf.
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by thehomer: 8:23pm On Jun 24, 2012
Pastor AIO:

One way in which it can cause harm is by pulling a screen of untouchability over many nefarious and criminal behaviours. Con men fleece the naive and do it tax free all under the banner of religion. All many of nasty things are tolerated once they are under the banner of religion.

Once we recognise religion as meaning just any belief that one adheres to strongly then all ideologies will be able to be exploited commercially without having to pay tax. They will be able to make race hate, and other minority hate, statements respectfully. Nazism as a religion would get away with so much more.

That 'very broad category' is exactly what is needed for the classification and subsequent reduction of religion to meaninglessness.

Hmm I see. In that case, what are currently called religions may as well be called "movements" or "ideologies" or something along those lines. And those who follow them no matter their devotion will have no special exemptions.
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 8:29pm On Jun 24, 2012
thehomer:

Hmm I see. In that case, what are currently called religions may as well be called "movements" or "ideologies" or something along those lines. And those who follow them no matter their devotion will have no special exemptions.

. . . in the case of special exemptions being removed from religions, or any other 'movements' or 'ideologies', the answer would be Yes.
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by UyiIredia(m): 9:14pm On Jun 24, 2012
Pastor AIO: I don't know why my post was deleted. Maybe because I put the link. Let me do it again without the links. The book the quotes come from is The Vision of Arda Ardaf, a zoroastrian book from Persia.

18. And there stood before him his own religion and his own deeds, in the graceful form of a damsel, as a beautiful appearance, that is, grown up in virtue; (19) with prominent breasts, that is, her breasts swelled downward, which is charming to the heart and soul; (20) whose form was as brilliant, as the sight of it was the more well-pleasing, the observation of it more desirable.

21. And the soul of the pious asked that damsel (22) thus: 'Who art thou? and what person art thou? than whom, in the world of the living, any damsel more elegant, and of more beautiful body than thine, was never seen by me.'

23. To him replied she who was his own religion and his own deeds, (24) thus: 'I am thy actions, O youth of good thoughts, of good words, of good deeds, of good religion. (25) It is on account of thy will and actions that I am as great and good and sweet-scented and triumphant and undistressed as appears to thee. (26) For in the world the Gathas were chanted by thee, and the good water was consecrated by thee, and the fire tended by thee; (27) and the pious man who came from far, and who was from near, was honored by thee. (28) Though I have been stout, I am made stouter through thee; (29) and though I have been virtuous, I am made more virtuous through thee; (30) and though I have been worthy, I am made more worthy through thee; (31) and though I have been seated on a resplendent throne, I am seated more resplendently through thee; (32) and though I have been exalted, I am made more exalted through thee; (33) through these good thoughts and good words and good deeds which thou practicedst. (34) They honored thee, and the pious man after thee, (35) in that long worship and communion with Ohrmazd, when thou performedst, for Ohrmazd, worship and proper conversation for a long time. (36) Peace be from it.'

(12) And in that wind he saw[b] his own religion and deeds as a profligate woman,[/b] naked, decayed, gapping, bandy-legged, lean-hipped, and unlimitedly spotted so that spot was joined to spot, like the most hideous, noxious creature (khrafstar), most filthy and most stinking.

13. Then that wicked soul spoke thus: 'Who art thou, than whom I never saw any one of the creatures of Ohrmazd and Ahriman uglier, or filthier, or more stinking?'

14. To him she spoke thus: 'I am thy bad actions, O youth of evil thoughts, of evil words, of evil deeds, of evil religion. (15) It is on account of thy will and actions that I am hideous and vile, iniquitous and diseased, rotten and foul-smelling, unfortunate and distressed, as appears to thee. (16) When thou sawest any one who performed the Yazishn and Dron ceremonies, and praise and prayer and the service of God; (17) and preserved and protected water and fire, cattle and trees, and other good creations; (18) thou practicedst the will of Ahriman and the demons, and improper actions. (19) And when thou sawest one who provided hospitable reception, and gave something deservedly in gifts and charity, for the advantage of the good and worthy who came from far, and who were from near; (20) thou wast avaricious, and shuttedst up thy door. (21) And though I have been unholy, I am made more unholy through thee; (22) and though I have been frightful, I am made more frightful through thee; (23) though I have been tremulous, I am made more tremulous through thee; (24) though I am settled in the northern region of the demons, I am settled farther north through thee; (25) through these evil thoughts, and through these evil words, and through these evil deeds, which thou practisedst. (26) They curse me, a long time, in the long execration and evil communion of the Evil spirit.'

27. Afterward, that soul of the wicked advanced the first footstep on Dush-humat and the second footstep on Dush-hukt, and the third on Dush-huvarsht; and with the fourth footstep he ran to hell.

Anyone that wants to look these up further should just google the Book of Arda Viraf.

Lovely ! But I must say I'll take my chances with the Bhargavad Gita.
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by Kay17: 11:07pm On Jun 24, 2012
Generally non profit organisations are taxed. So churches' therapeutic services haven't been valued and assessed before or accurately. So they are still NGOs
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by Enigma(m): 4:36am On Jun 25, 2012
Posted elsewhere previously. smiley

I am convinced that the battle for humankind’s future must be waged and won in the public school classroom by teachers who correctly perceive their role as the proselytizers of a new faith: a religion of humanity that recognizes and respects the spark of what theologians call divinity in every human being. These teachers must embody the same selfless dedication as the most rabid fundamentalist preachers, for they will be ministers of another sort, utilizing a classroom instead of a pulpit to convey humanist values in whatever subject they teach, regardless of the educational level—preschool, daycare, or large state university. The classroom must and will become an arena of conflict between the old and the new—the rotting corpse of Christianity, together with all its adjacent evils and misery, and the new faith of humanism, resplendent with its promise of a world in which the never-realized Christian ideal of “love thy neighbor” will finally be achieved.

Then perhaps we will be able to say with Tom Paine that “the world is my country, all [hu]mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.” It will undoubtedly be a long, arduous struggle replete with much sorrow and many tears, but humanism will emerge triumphant. It must if the family of humankind is to survive.

John Dunphy, “A Religion for a New Age,” in The Humanist (1983)

cool
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by Nobody: 4:42am On Jun 25, 2012
on-code:

Quite a meaningless quote i must say.
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by Kay17: 10:27am On Jun 25, 2012
Enigma: Posted elsewhere previously. smiley

John Dunphy, “A Religion for a New Age,” in The Humanist (1983)

cool

It wouldn't spoil anything if humanism is considered a religion, with a faith of hope and a better world. But its best represented as a philosophy.
Re: And They Say Its Not A Religion by PastorAIO: 10:55am On Jun 25, 2012
Kay 17:

It wouldn't spoil anything if humanism is considered a religion, with a faith of hope and a better world. But its best represented as a philosophy.

That too would depend on what we mean by philosophy. Is every thought that a man can think his 'philosophy'?

(1) (Reply)

Things That Science Cannot Prove / Calling Bible Students To Evaluate These Verses: Davidlyan, Frosbel, Goshen Etc / You Don't Have To Be A Genius To Prosper. All It Takes Is One Idea From God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.