Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,532 members, 7,770,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:05 AM

Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 (67875 Views)

Between Peugeot 406 Ew10 And Ew12... / Peugeot 406 EW10-V6 Range Vs 2008 Honda Accord V6 / Peugeot 406: How Reliable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 2:56pm On Jun 24, 2012
[size=12pt][/size]I'm considering buying Peugeot 406 mainly for travel, I dont want to be using my other car for long journeys.
I heard its easy to maintain, rugged and balanced at very high speeds. I intend getting a manual trans cos of the many woefull tales i've heard about the auto.
I also heard the AC is super too and fuel economy is reasonable.

But a friend then advise i get the one wit EW10 engine, that its less prone to problems. and that the EW12 is more powerful but gives problems easily.
Anyone in the house knowledgable on this issue?
Or care to share any pleasant or unpleasant experience you have had wit 406.

Thank you as you contribute.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Ikenna351(m): 3:25pm On Jun 24, 2012
The EW12 is more powerful like you said, more hp & engine torque than the EW10, which will be more pleasurable & fun to drive on long distance.

What I donot know is the availability of parts, since the 406 assembled/manufactured in Nigeria never had the EW12, but the EW7 & EW10 (though more of EW10). But i wont be surprised that if EW10 & EW12 share the same engine parts. The difference usually is in the engine induction, the Cylinder head, piston & sleeve sizes. I would advice that you google for the images of the EW10 & 12 engines to see if they look the same. If so, then all sensors & components will be the same. You dont get to change Piston & sleeve all the time, for you to be bothered, except if you blow up your head gasket, you maynot find the EW12 head gasket here, unless you source for it outside the country. But that will be if the 2 head gaskets arent the same.

The EW10 is also good. At least 145 hp & 197 Nm isnt bad for the EW10. But I would choose the V6 over the 2, without even blinking, if I have the purchasing power now. But thats me, anyway.

Ikenna.

5 Likes

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 3:35pm On Jun 24, 2012
Thankk you very much for you input, but d EW10 does 170-180km wit so much ease and stays very stable at that speed.
that would be ok for me since thats nomally my threshold.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Ikenna351(m): 4:08pm On Jun 24, 2012
thomasjohn: Thankk you very much for you input, but d EW10 does 170-180km wit so much ease and stays very stable at that speed.
that would be ok for me since thats nomally my threshold.

Yes, it does. And being a Manual trans, driving a long distance with the car will be fun.

Its not always about how much speed a car do on Nigerian highway, but how quick the car is. This is where engine torque comes in, not just only the hp. What will make your car to overtake a long queue of 5 crawling big trucks/Trailers on our single highways within a second or two on low rpm is your engine torque. And manual trans makes it more pleasurable when in the action.

Ikenna.

11 Likes

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by yungboss(m): 1:31pm On Jun 25, 2012
Ikenna351:

Yes, it does. And being a Manual trans, driving a long distance with the car will be fun.

Its not always about how much speed a car do on Nigerian highway, but how fast accelerating it is. This is where engine torque comes in, not the hp. What will make your car to overtake a long queue of 5 crawling big trucks/Trailers on our single highways within a second or two is your engine torque, not the hp. And manual trans makes it more pleasurable when in the action.

Ikenna.
for long distance for a stable road, horsepower wins handsdown. There really has to be a balance between the two
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Midecuc(m): 2:00pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ew10 eng is the best for 406,i use my own for 2yrs and still using it without any problem,cheap eng part,availabity easy to mantain than ew12

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Ikenna351(m): 4:20pm On Jun 27, 2012
Midecuc: Ew10 eng is the best for 406,i use my own for 2yrs and still using it without any problem,cheap eng part,availabity easy to mantain than ew12

How do you know EW10 is easier to maintain than EW12? Have you owned EW12 before?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 9:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ikenna pls which model is the attached pic? does it have the EW10 Engine and is it 2001?

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Ikenna351(m): 10:01pm On Jun 27, 2012
thomasjohn: Ikenna pls which model is the attached pic? does it have the EW10 Engine and is it 2001?

You cannot tell from a 406 interior what engine model is inside the engine bay. One need to see the engine bay to tell. So picture alone might not be enough. Though there might be some slight differences.

the interior, or rather, the side mirror in that pic shows that its a 2nd series 406, which the production started in 1999 & ended in 2004 in Europe. So, it could be 2001 model or any model between 1999 & 2004.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 10:12pm On Jun 27, 2012
some models have a speed of 230km/h while some have 250km/h, what does that difference tell?
does it differentiate the type of engine?

the one in the pic has 250
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Ikenna351(m): 11:09pm On Jun 27, 2012
thomasjohn: some models have a speed of 230km/h while some have 250km/h, what does that difference tell?
does it differentiate the type of engine?

the one in the pic has 250

I think nearly all Nigerian manfactured 406 have the 250km/h as top speed on instrument cluster (am not sure o!). You can check the instrument cluster of 406 manufactured in Nigeria, especially the one with Prestige badge,

the EW12 406 is a rare car. Not all countries got the EW12 model & Nigeria is one of them.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 9:38pm On Jun 28, 2012
thank you very much, will be getting the 406 soon, just want to be sure wat i'm getting
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Ndata(m): 3:38pm On Jul 07, 2012
And don't forget to tell the house which one you finally got.Best of luck.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 12:20am On Jul 09, 2012
most that i've come across are converted ones, i inspected 3 very clean ones but all converted from RHD to LHD.
but i'll keep searching.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Ikenna351(m): 12:24pm On Jul 09, 2012
thomasjohn: most that i've come across are converted ones, i inspected 3 very clean ones but all converted from RHD to LHD.
but i'll keep searching.

Whatever you do, please stay away from the converted ones. No matter how long it takes, you will still find the standard LHD EW10 manual tranny 406.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 12:41pm On Jul 09, 2012
Ikenna351:

Whatever you do, please stay away from the converted ones. No matter how long it takes, you will still find the standard LHD EW10 manual tranny 406.

Ikenna.

thanks for the advise, I'm even thinking of crossing over to Cotonou to get a clean LHD.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 12:43pm On Jul 09, 2012
i hope to get something that looks like dis.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 2:32pm On Jul 09, 2012
2.0L (135bhp) - XU10J4R - RFV
The engine was fitted with a single non monitored catalyser and combustion gas levels were monitored by a single upstream lambda oxygen sensor.

3 Likes

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 2:34pm On Jul 09, 2012
2.0L (137bhp) - EW10J4 - RFN
the EW10J4 was given a multiplexed electrical wiring system and an ECU monitored catalyser with lambda sensors both upstream and downstream of the unit.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 2:36pm On Jul 09, 2012
2.2L (160bhp)- EW12J4 - 3FZ
heard that this engine comes only as a manual trans
Like other engines introduced with the D9 model change, the EW12J4 was provided with a fully ECU monitored catalyser with both upstream and downstream lambda oxygen sensors.

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 2:39pm On Jul 09, 2012
3.0L V6 (210bhp) - ES9J4S - XFX

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 2:40pm On Jul 09, 2012
3.0L V6 (194bhp) - ES9J4 - XFZ

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 2:41pm On Jul 09, 2012
2.2L (136bhp) HDi - DW12TED4 - 4HX

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 8:40pm On Jul 13, 2012
havent been able to come across a clean non-converted 406, will just have to visit Cotonou by month end when i'm free.
Thats the only place i think i will get a clean LHD 406 dat i will enjoy for sometime.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Euroclydon(m): 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2012
This thread has been very helpful...Thanks for all ya contribution. Am also interested in a 406 too. Could someone pls tell me how to know d difference btw a convered LHD and the original LHD?
Thanks!
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 3:17pm On Jul 14, 2012
Euroclydon: This thread has been very helpful...Thanks for all ya contribution. Am also interested in a 406 too. Could someone pls tell me how to know d difference btw a convered LHD and the original LHD?
Thanks!

here are some few that i know of,
1. If you leave the key in the ignition and open d passenger side the car will make a sound cos that was the original driver side and those doing the conversion hardly change that wiring.
2. To minimise cos they might not change the seats so the driver's seat becomes the passenger's seat and vice-versa. hence u'll be able to raise and lower the passenger seat but not the driver's seat.
3. Cos of the new wiring they had to do, you'll see a bunch of wires beneath the dashboard on the new driver's side.
there are other ways to know which i dnt know,other ppl can add.

I dnt advise ppl to go for the converted cars cos

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Euroclydon(m): 4:20pm On Jul 14, 2012
Thanks ThomasJohn... u too sabi

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by gloryland(m): 1:42pm On Jul 15, 2012
1. The wipers. No matter how hard they tried during the conversion, the wiper stick/blade looks weird. It curves in a very unprofessional manner.
2. The power window buttons on the drivers side after conversion to LHD has the one touch'AUTO' button controlling the front passenger window which was originally designed as the drivers side in RHD instead of the drivers window in LHD.
3. The pedals are badly positioned sometimes and u can easily identify the absence of the foot rest beside the clutch pedal. This foot rest is seen on the front passengers side indicating that it's converted from RHD.
4. The a/c vents do not channel the air properly. You will observe that air comes from almost all the openings in the dashboard, beneath it and from the gear lever region. The ac fan/blower under the dash is usually inverted and blows downwards instead of upwards, therefore giving no direction to the chillers. The passenger in the front seat may have his feet frozen in a long journey because that is where majority of the chilled air is directed.
5. Look out for over long throtle cable.
6. The pedal compartment on RHS will be covered after transfering the pedals to the LHS and it can be see when you open the engine compartment. It is either welded or coverec with black plastic.
thomasjohn:

here are some few that i know of,
1. If you leave the key in the ignition and open d passenger side the car will make a sound cos that was the original driver side and those doing the conversion hardly change that wiring.
2. To minimise cos they might not change the seats so the driver's seat becomes the passenger's seat and vice-versa. hence u'll be able to raise and lower the passenger seat but not the driver's seat.
3. Cos of the new wiring they had to do, you'll see a bunch of wires beneath the dashboard on the new driver's side.
there are other ways to know which i dnt know,other ppl can add.

I dnt advise ppl to go for the converted cars cos

3 Likes

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 2:05pm On Jul 15, 2012
gloryland: 1. The wipers. No matter how hard they tried during the conversion, the wiper stick/blade looks weird. It curves in a very unprofessional manner.
2. The power window buttons on the drivers side after conversion to LHD has the one touch'AUTO' button controlling the front passenger window which was originally designed as the drivers side in RHD instead of the drivers window in LHD.
3. The pedals are badly positioned sometimes and u can easily identify the absence of the foot rest beside the clutch pedal. This foot rest is seen on the front passengers side indicating that it's converted from RHD.
4. The a/c vents do not channel the air properly. You will observe that air comes from almost all the openings in the dashboard, beneath it and from the gear lever region. The ac fan/blower under the dash is usually inverted and blows downwards instead of upwards, therefore giving no direction to the chillers. The passenger in the front seat may have his feet frozen in a long journey because that is where majority of the chilled air is directed.
5. Look out for over long throtle cable.
6. The pedal compartment on RHS will be covered after transfering the pedals to the LHS and it can be see when you open the engine compartment. It is either welded or coverec with black plastic.
these are enough reasons to discourage a person from converting or buying a converted car if he/she truly wants to enjoy his/her driving.

I also hear cos the tie-rod, steering, shaft have to be changed,and are badly done in most conversion then the much sought after sability of d 406 and other converted cars is lost. imagine not being able to accelerate beyond 100km/hr cos the car will start vibrating like hell if u do so.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by gloryland(m): 3:25pm On Jul 15, 2012
Peugeot is European, it comes in both LHD and RHD for different european countries. France, Spain , Germany etc use LHD while UK use RHD. 406 is designed primarily to favour the LHD. Those RHD for th UK market are manufactured with special consideration for possible conversion to LHD one day. This you will observe during the conversion from RHD to LHD. The manufacturer has already marked/punched out the areas where u can fix LHD accessories eg steering rack, pedals, a/c evaporator and fan. 406 is one of the easiest cars to convert because the manufacturer has made it so easy because of europe market. The problem we have is our greedy Nigerian brothers who always like to cut corners so as to maximise profit. Imagine when the RHD pedals and steering rack are bent to fit into the LHD instead of buying the LHD pedal, dashboard, steering rack, A/C evaporator. The result is outright calamity on the road. The pressurized air in the ac pipes can even bust due to the wrong bending and forceful positioning of the system. My 406 was converted badly. The RHD steering was used in the LHD. The RHD pedals were also bent and forced to fit into the LHS. It looked so funny and very difficult to drive. It didnt give me the 'FOX' satisfaction so i took it to another workshop were all the LHD parts were fitted propery. I have used this same ride for about a year and six months without any problem. It still remains my best ride. 406 is so adorable. If converted properly with the right parts, you wont notice the difference with a factory LHD even in the performance.
Good conversion will cost about N220k but car dealers spend less than 100k for this same conversion to save cost and endanger the lives of their supposed esteemed customers.
My advise to anybody that wants to buy a UK used 406 which is always exceptionally clean and cheap is to buy it as RHD, then buy the LHD parts yourself and supervise closely the entire conversion process. Above get info of good workshops where it could be done. Most techicians can handle the conversion if they avoid the greed factor.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by thomasjohn: 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2012
gloryland: Peugeot is European, it comes in both LHD and RHD for different european countries. France, Spain , Germany etc use LHD while UK use RHD. 406 is designed primarily to favour the LHD. Those RHD for th UK market are manufactured with special consideration for possible conversion to LHD one day. This you will observe during the conversion from RHD to LHD. The manufacturer has already marked/punched out the areas where u can fix LHD accessories eg steering rack, pedals, a/c evaporator and fan. 406 is one of the easiest cars to convert because the manufacturer has made it so easy because of europe market. The problem we have is our greedy Nigerian brothers who always like to cut corners so as to maximise profit. Imagine when the RHD pedals and steering rack are bent to fit into the LHD instead of buying the LHD pedal, dashboard, steering rack, A/C evaporator. The result is outright calamity on the road. The pressurized air in the ac pipes can even bust due to the wrong bending and forceful positioning of the system. My 406 was converted badly. The RHD steering was used in the LHD. The RHD pedals were also bent and forced to fit into the LHS. It looked so funny and very difficult to drive. It didnt give me the 'FOX' satisfaction so i took it to another workshop were all the LHD parts were fitted propery. I have used this same ride for about a year and six months without any problem. It still remains my best ride. 406 is so adorable. If converted properly with the right parts, you wont notice the difference with a factory LHD even in the performance.
Good conversion will cost about N220k but car dealers spend less than 100k for this same conversion to save cost and endanger the lives of their supposed esteemed customers.
My advise to anybody that wants to buy a UK used 406 which is always exceptionally clean and cheap is to buy it as RHD, then buy the LHD parts yourself and supervise closely the entire conversion process. Above get info of good workshops where it could be done. Most techicians can handle the conversion if they avoid the greed factor.

had to laugh at the bolded part.
Thanks for the above info, its very enlightening.
I now understand, RHD conversions are not as bad as i thought, they are even just as good if done properly, however i will still want to get a LHD.

Will it be possible for me to get a clean factory LHD in Cotonu? cos i'm looking at going there by the end of the month.
Re: Peugeot 406 EW10 Engine Against EW12 by Ikenna351(m): 11:39pm On Jul 15, 2012
406 sold massively all over the world, not just in UK & Australia that had the RHD version. UK 406s are very cheap, hence, reason why they are everywhere in Nigerian markets as Tokunbo. But i consider that foolishness on the part of the Nigerian car dealers. I also blame anyone that buys the RHD 406, since the person knows that its against the law and that the RHD 406 is not the only option to own one. So many LHD European countries had 406. And in actual fact, the UK market had few petrol version of 406, since the inhabitants of UK are diesel freaks. They had more of HDIs than the petrol version, hence, very few V6 version were sold in UK.

Please, stay away from any converted car. Talking from experience. No matter how the conversion was done, it will never be like the factory. Its simply a modifcation, not a swap or replacement. There is nothing wrong with modificstions if done right. But, modification that is not based on improvement is not worth it. Something can be modified in a vehicle to work, because the replacement couldnt be found. In that case, the owner is interested for it to work, even if its not given 100%. You can modify an I-4 to V6. But the car would still lack some V6 specifications, no matter how good the conversion is. But that is better than the RHD to LHD conversion, since its for an improvement.

Always remember that those spots that were panel beated during the conversion will in future start rusting, whether you like it or not. The car will never be as sound-proofed as the factory, since some of the firewall insulators must have been removed during the conversion.

Stay away from the RHD 406, when you still can. There are thousands of the LHD 406 out there. Just have to be patient enough to find one of them. Always remember that UK wasnt the only Europeans that had 406. Other Eurpean countries even had more better versions, like the EW12 & V6.

Ikenna

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Young Men Who Own Cars Have More Sex – Study Reveals / Embattled Mompha And His Insane Car Collection (PHOTOS) / The Reason Why You Must Go Round Your Car Before You Drive Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.