Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,266 members, 7,807,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

Radiator Cover Wont Work! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Radiator Cover Wont Work! (4288 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Nissan Maxima 2001 Wont Work, Keyprogrammer And Rewire Please Help Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radiator Cover Wont Work! by Gluckdude(m): 3:11pm On Jun 24, 2012
I'm not sure if anyone has encountered my kind of issues.
i use a Honda 2005 EOD, but unluckily for me, i had to replace the engine,
after noticing oil shortage when i drive a long distance,
my mec said the engine is weak that i need to get a replacement, which i did.

but ever since then, my radiator cover wont seal effectively, water from the radiator
sneaks into the white container reservoir just adjacent the radiator.
i have changed the tank cover 4 times this week, still all to no avail.
i am beginning to wonder if this is ordinary as i am contemplating blocking the hole in the radiator.
not really sure if that would be a good decision to make.
don't know if anyone can help?
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 24, 2012
Gluckdude: I'm not sure if anyone has encountered my kind of issues.
i use a Honda 2005 EOD, but unluckily for me, i had to replace the engine,
after noticing oil shortage when i drive a long distance,
my mec said the engine is weak that i need to get a replacement, which i did.

but ever since then, my radiator cover wont seal effectively, water from the radiator
sneaks into the white container reservoir just adjacent the radiator.
i have changed the tank cover 4 times this week, still all to no avail.
i am beginning to wonder if this is ordinary as i am contemplating blocking the hole in the radiator.
not really sure if that would be a good decision to make.
don't know if anyone can help?
Honestly ur post is clumsy and vague. may be u can analyse the issues ne after the other.

i'll say if the radiator isnt expensive, get a replacement
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by Lexusgs430: 5:33am On Jun 27, 2012
That hole you want to block, is the hole that sends water over-flow to the reservoir, if you block that hole and the radiator needs to shed excess water, the water pressure would be released thorough the weakest point, which could be any where ie pipe coming off, break in radiator etc etc etc
Do you know if a pressure test was done on the replacement engine before installation? If it wasn't done,for all I care, the engine you dumped could be better than the replacement !!!
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by cretin: 8:58am On Jun 27, 2012
jeeez..this ur post ....i find annoying..

wait based on what ur mechanic - a semi ignorant technician said...u simply went ahead to replace the complete engine of ur 2005 eod?!!.....seems u gat loads of cash floating around!!.

b4 u undertake such projects..its usually best to get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion from other mechanics and preferablly HONDA PLACE.
i blv u dashed ur 'ol trustworthy mechanic' the old engine that was replaced?!!..--- i bet u..he has sold this engine for a good profit...a whole engine doesnt go bad like that...an a 2005 car for that matter.

anyway..back to the matter at hand...pls try n read the owners manual of any vehicle u buy..that way u wudnt be asking this question here...that hole u so wish to block is designed by the car manufacturers to ease pressure and steam into the coolant reservoir!!...so ur car is behaving perfectly....is ur car over heating?...why r u concerned about the water entering the reservoir?..is it affecting u in any way?...gas bubbles trapped in the radiator cud be the culpit..u need to flush the radiator and refill it with good collant..that shud displace any trapped gas bubbles.

also beaware that any engine overhaul done by most mechanics in nigeria always has side effects.....the never ever connect back all the sensors/fittings...many things are left half hazard and the performance of ur car will suffer for it.

i really really wish u luck.......u need it
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 27, 2012
1. How long have u used ur radiator cover. If u have used it for long, do u find d radiator dry after a long drive. If ur answer is yes.

2. Remove your radiator cover and check d radiator cover's rubber..

3. If its unevenly chopped off or worn out.

4. Change ur radiator cover. But don't allow the spare parts dealers or whoever to give u just any radiator cover. It cud be from 'frying pan to fire experience'

5. Make sure d radiator cover u buy has very good rubber inside it. Make sure it is not worn out.
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by ozoebuka1(m): 3:30pm On Jun 27, 2012
Go and sell da car and do something good with da money! stop those managements!
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by odionomoike: 3:37pm On Jun 27, 2012
Replace the radiator. You could purchase a full engine, why contemplate with the radiator cover. Obviously, its also weak so it comes off easily. Changing the engine for the EOD was a wise decision, saves you everyday mechanic troubles.

If you have changed the cover 4 times, brother please get another radiator for the new engine. Don't complicate issues.

Also your question is a bit hazzy, wait a second, are u saying water returns to the reservoir and you feel its an issue? How much do you know your car and can you explain if its the radiator cover that has a leakage or there is a leakage in the water reservoir. Water sneaking into the reservoir is very normal and you do not experience overheating. So please is your question centred on water sneaking to the reservoir or overheating issues as a result of shortage of water which is characterized by a leakage?
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by Ortis: 3:40pm On Jun 27, 2012
U are riding a 2005 model honda car nd u had d guts 2 post it on NL seriously its so embarasing nd heartbreakin bt....my advise 2 u is 2 dispose dat lame car nd buy a 2012 model bicycle
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by Gluckdude(m): 4:47pm On Jun 27, 2012
^^^^^^who is this?

1 Like

Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by lacasa: 4:49pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ortis: U are riding a 2005 model honda car nd u had d guts 2 post it on NL seriously its so embarasing nd heartbreakin bt....my advise 2 u is 2 dispose dat lame car nd buy a 2012 model bicycle

is something wrong with Ɣou? undecided
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by lacasa: 4:50pm On Jun 27, 2012
Gluckdude: ^^^^^^who is this?

i wonder ☺º°˚˚°ºoo

Inferiority complex anϑ jealousy is the cause i suspect
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by Gluckdude(m): 5:08pm On Jun 27, 2012
@ortis dont worry he go better! cheesy cheesy
back to the normal folks, i travel a lot, and once the water in the radiator sneaks into the reservour the water in the radiator gets drained to an extent,( about 15% reduction) thereby resulting in over heating when i am stuck in traffic. i dont experience such problem while using the previous engine. the water in the radiator always stay filled up, irrespective of how many miles i travel.
i think i might just have to change the radiator.
thanks for all your suggestions.
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by funshint(m): 5:20pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ortis: U are riding a 2005 model honda car nd u had d guts 2 post it on NL seriously its so embarasing nd heartbreakin bt....my advise 2 u is 2 dispose dat lame car nd buy a 2012 model bicycle
u are nofin but a big ful...spoilt brats, we know dem!
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by odionomoike: 5:37pm On Jun 27, 2012
Another thing, please check the hose that connects the radiator to the engine or any hose that takes water from the engine. Its possible there is a leakage from the pipe and if it gets to the engine when its hot, it evaporates or dries up immediately.

Also try using coolant to prevent rust in the radiator. I have had similar issues but the hose that links water to the engine was a bit worn out and minor leakage.

You have to try these options please.
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by LordReed(m): 5:54pm On Jun 27, 2012
I wonder why people with such modern cars cannot go and perform a scan on their vehicles to determine the true cause of the problem. Older cars may not have an ECM but your 2005 Honda has one so why did you not do a scan before having the engine changed? Better correct yourself and do a scan to find the source of your current predicament before another mechanic tells you rubbish.
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by DTutu1: 6:42pm On Jun 27, 2012
My brother the engine u bought is not good. Ur mechanic is fake. U did not state why ur old engine was having oil shortage.
Does ur car emit smoke when u drive or do u have oil leakage from bad oil seals.
For all i know if ur car is pumping water into the white tank then the top cylinder gasket is bad.
U just need to change the gasket but pls don't give it to that ur mechanic to change. Use original paper gasket to replace the iron one ur car came with because u can't get the main one here and the paper will help to seal little cracks u may not be able to c without the help of special tools.
Finally do not file the top before changing the gasket.
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by baaliyah(m): 6:55pm On Jun 27, 2012
what type of scanner will discover leakage from hose or radiator blockage.
This sounds like water leaking from somewhere.
Check your engine oil hope it does not contain water.
Our collective exeperience and suggestions here have solved a lot of problems. Try out some simple suggestions offered here before you think of any scan. Good luck
Re: Radiator Cover Wont Work! by icemann(m): 2:21am On Jun 28, 2012
DUDE CLICK ON THE LINK AND READ THE THREAD BELOW
https://www.nairaland.com/943602/benefits-using-coolants-versus-water#11147713
[url][/url]

You are leas than one month away from a new radiator, water pump and possibly a new engine.
Your car manual says Use a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze(coolant) So why are you using only water?

Ever radiator cap is pressure rated (mine is 10psi). You bought a cap that is lower rated than the OEM radiator cap of that engine

The cooling system is kinda complex to explain but i can try my best to Educate you and you have to be imaginative

Water would boil at lees than 100 Celsius (causer its impure) and its boiling produces gasses like water vapor and gasses dissolved in water(air etc)

Gas expansion is ALMOST exponential like at that temperature range (Google Gas expansion by heat and PVT Graphs)
This expansion causes pressure build up in your cooling system(A closed system)and when it reaches 5psi(Lets say your rad cover is rated that), It squeezes the spring on your radiator cover up and fluid escapes through the tinny opening by the side of the cover(Flow back line) and flows into the white(the colour most times) reservoir. and when the reservoir is full, it gives way and spills (he is the weakest man in the closed system). That's why "Your water dey short"

When your car cools down, You get a low pressure in the system which causes a suction from the reservoir ie. the water suppose to flow from the reservoir back to the radiator, but it doesn't cause the system is design for a antifreeze/coolant. The reason for that is another whole new complex topic that i dont wana go into (i hope you don't mind)

If you block the flow-back line (eliminate the weakest link) the next weakest link which is your water hose would rupture. But since your car is not new, you cant be sure if its your hose, radiator, water pump, or engine block is the 2nd weakest link.

If you decide to block your flow back line, i promise you would be going through engines faster than you go through toothbrushes(Doc says we have to change our toothbrush every 3 months), and in 2 years your Mech would be driving a 2012 Accord. He may probably buy your 05 accord and advice you to buy a new car. He is getting 2 cars for the price of one. Maga fall guy man chop. LOL. Please don't take my last 3 sentences seriously my post was getting boring so i added a joke.

In summary
1. Change to Coolant
2. By an OEM Rad Cover
3. Get your reservoir inspected
4. Avoid High RPM it saves fuel and prevents over heating

When you solve the problem do post it so others can learn

Thanks
ICEMANN

(1) (Reply)

Is Toyota Rav4 2008 Model A Good Car ? / 1.5million What Kind Of Car Can I Get For This Amount / Petrol Vs Diesel (why You Should Choose Diesel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.