Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? (14409 Views)

30 Wedding Gowns To Inspire Brides-to-be / My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training / Must Wedding Gowns Be Sleeve-less? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by sofadj(m): 7:57am On Jun 26, 2012
So many females flooding this thread all because its a "wedding thread"
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by sunny2011: 8:22am On Jun 26, 2012
There is no big deal leasing a weeding gown. This is just a one off material that will be discarde after the occasion why
waste resources that could channel to other areas
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 26, 2012
JeSoul: Personally, I wouldn't. Solely because of the 'mental' factor, I wouldn't like to wear something someone else already wore - just my personal thing, it holds sentimental value though I may not wear it again (we're playing with the idea of a 10yr anniv renewal wearing the same dress/suit smiley).

I do agree on not blowing so much money on an item you'll only use once, very reasonable approach. Women should know that with a little shopping around, and taking their focus of "designer labels" you can find gorgeous dresses at prices that won't break the bank.

I agree. I personally cannot wear what someone else has worn or what someone I don't know is going to wear after me on my wedding day.

It had to be brand new for me. No negotiation cool
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Lexusgs430: 9:36am On Jun 26, 2012
jennykadry:

I agree. I personally cannot wear what someone else has worn or what someone I don't know is going to wear after me on my wedding day.

It had to be brand new for me. No negotiation cool

When the time comes, you might have a change of mind. There is personally no rationale in buying a brand new tux and gown, that you probably would never wear again.
Buying both could set you back about £2,500, while hiring could only cost £400!!!! (the pricing is me been conservative )
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Sagamite(m): 9:39am On Jun 26, 2012
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 26, 2012
Lexusgs430:

When the time comes, you might have a change of mind. There is personally no rationale in buying a brand new tux and gown, that you probably would never wear again.
Buying both could set you back about £2,500, while hiring could only cost £400!!!! (the pricing is me been conservative )

The time has come and gone and my answer is still same
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by queensmith: 10:27am On Jun 26, 2012
The difference between buying and renting isn't that much nowadays. The only thing is, what the hell is one going to do with the gown afterwards? Ebay maybe?

You can buy a very nice wedding gown for around £100 (cost of renting one i suppose) and the cost of renting a designer gown you can get a famous boutique custom dress.

I don't mind really. . . .if I know someone I can give it to after using it I don't mind buying it.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Sagamite(m): 10:38am On Jun 26, 2012
queensmith: The difference between buying and renting isn't that much nowadays. The only thing is, what the hell is one going to do with the gown afterwards? Ebay maybe?

You can buy a very nice wedding gown for around £100 (cost of renting one i suppose) and the cost of renting a designer gown you can get a famous boutique custom dress.

I don't mind really. . . .if I know someone I can give it to after using it I don't mind buying it.

You can always give it to Gabourey Sidibe if she decides to go down the aisle.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by sucre05: 11:01am On Jun 26, 2012
Renting wedding gowns is now a big business. I own a bridal shop in Lagos, when I started initially, brides were always shy of renting. They come alone or in company of their fiance, and keep it a secret.

But the story is different now, most people are no longer ashamed and come out openly to rent. It is becoming increasingly popular to rent a wedding gown. Why go broke after your wedding?? In fact you can rent a new wedding gown, and some very good designer gowns are even more expensive to rent than buying a new gown with unknown label. So it doesn't mean you cannot afford a new one neither does it diminish your status.

If you want additional advice, you can visit my shop Trendy Brides located along idimu - egbeda road almost opposite GT bank, or call 08080519878
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Sweetlemon(f): 12:14pm On Jun 26, 2012
Your wedding day is not just any day or any ocassion, Its a day filled with memories you would want to keep forever (except of course you are not getting married for the right reasons) so you cannot use the excuse of "afterall I will be wearing it for only a few hours!"
How in God's holy name would I wear ANYTHING a bunch of strangers have already for my once-in-a-life-time momoment with the man of my dreams? It does not have to be an expensive dress. Just something decent and pretty enough for you to feel special in.
The only excuse for that is if finances are just toooooooooooooo tight and none of us prays for that or do you?

1 Like

Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by lahips: 12:25pm On Jun 26, 2012

1 Like

Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Beync(f): 12:27pm On Jun 26, 2012
I will rent, but definitely the best. No I will buy, what for? 8hrs mbanu
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by impish: 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2012
Well, I bought a mildly expensive wedding dress and sold it off this year for about $1000. I promised my hubby that we would sell it off after the day and we did just that. So all in all, I think we got a good deal. To be honest, if you can comfortably afford the dress of your dreams, please buy it! But if your hubby cant afford it, dont pressure him. Buy a china imitation (ive seen a few and they looked good) or rent! Shikena.

For some people, their wedding dress is the most important thing. For others, its the food and drinks at the wedding, or the car they will buy once they are married. Everyone has their thing!
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by slimming: 12:34pm On Jun 26, 2012
Non is crime, it is a choice not melt for debate
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Sagamite(m): 12:38pm On Jun 26, 2012
slimming: Non is crime, it is a choice not melt for debate

Your attention is needed on this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/974439/emmanuel-ohuabunwa-1st-blackman-3.98

A lot of people are looking for you because of the "intellectual" post you made there.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Deedee49(f): 1:05pm On Jun 26, 2012
It is my wedding! I want my own wedding gown! I cant wear a gown and keep tinkin how d person who wore it b4 me felt. Such tinz are way too personal!
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Beync(f): 1:32pm On Jun 26, 2012
sofa-dj:
So many females flooding this thread all because its a "wedding thread"
deal with it
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by eghost247(m): 1:54pm On Jun 26, 2012
this is a simple question if you can afford a new gown buy it and if you cant lease one abeg next
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by sirt1(m): 3:08pm On Jun 26, 2012
For me, renting/leasing is not for me. I will pray to God to help me and I will buy a brand new one for my jewel. I want to see her that day and be happy. Left for my wife to be, she will prefer renting/leasing. She even suggested we go for low level/key wedding maybe just going for engagement and registry and then pastor's blessing the following sunday in the church, but i refused. It is going to be my best day and I will make sure it is. Though, I wont break bank for it, moderation is my key word. When I told her that I'd gone around to make enquiry for the gown, she was curious to know the amount. When I told her the range, she was of the opinion that we should not buy it... but, I'd made up my mind to buy cos I wont rent/lease my own wedding suit. I must buy new one even if I av millions suits.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by dexterush(f): 5:50pm On Jun 26, 2012
i believe dats a very rational thing to do,cos i for one dont plan on buyin for mine,wen is just for one day
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Wislet(f): 6:25pm On Jun 26, 2012
buck wild: My cousin was about to get married,he set aside some money to buy the wedding gown.

When it was time to get it,his fiancee insisted that they lease it instead of buying it,stating that its not rational to spend so much on something that she is going to wear for about 6 to 8 hours.

They should use the money for something instead.i was really surprised,i was like do such ladies still exist?

Nairalanders what do you think?
why do you sound like an alien?
'Do such ladies still exist?'. Are you for real?
Sure if it was a relation of yours that made the suggestion, you wouldn't have asked that question.
Wonder why some men think ALL ladies have lost it or something.
That a few/many have lost direction doesn't mean everything has caved in.
Change that negative mentality.
Whether you buy or do not buy...it doesn't make you a saint/devil.
If you can afford it and want to have it for keeps, by all means do so.
Who knows, the money could come in handy at a future date.
If u can't, then you don't.
It is when all reason is thrown to the wind and you purchase- above your means- that it becomes ridiculous.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Wislet(f): 6:31pm On Jun 26, 2012
Sagamite:

Your attention is needed on this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/974439/emmanuel-ohuabunwa-1st-blackman-3.98

A lot of people are looking for you because of the "intellectual" post you made there.
hehehehheeheeee.
Wickeeeeed .
'uncle' Saga, i know say na u go do this mischief grin
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by crackhouse(m): 7:33am On Jun 27, 2012
O.k whatever
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Lexusgs430: 8:50am On Jun 27, 2012
lahips: i am getting a custom made gown from China, with a detachable sash and a veil, guess how much $550 delivered to Abuja. i think it's worth it, cause even in Lagos i am sure i wont easily get a good gown with sash and veil at that price. ladies if your man aint bouyant enough and you want your gown bought, please save towards it, we should learn to spoil ourselves, it must not always be about the man's money.

The idea of renting is cool also, everyone has their taste, pocket and decision to make.

I hope when the gown arrives, it is has described. You know what this chinkos are like.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Sagamite(m): 9:41am On Jun 27, 2012
Wislet: hehehehheeheeee.
Wickeeeeed .
'uncle' Saga, i know say na u go do this mischief grin

How can he be such an intellectual and then run when people are commenting on his scholarly opinions. grin
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by AGgal(f): 11:17am On Jun 27, 2012
Der's nutin wrong wit leasing a gown. Buying a gown is a waste of money
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
Chew.were do u live girl? Eskimo?
&200 dollars s your 'cheap prices'??

i'm not sure u are on the right page cos last tym i checked this was called nairaland
JeSoul: Lol, assuming its in my diet to begin with grin. I don't remember the last time I ate any of the above.

Chai...e go hard oh... but I think I would still lean towards the latter. It is very possible to find great-looking dresses at cheap prices - especially from chinese outlets. Two of my friends bought theirs off a website that makes imitations of popular styles starting as low as ~$200 bucks and they turned out great.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by ekoboy: 1:18am On Jun 28, 2012
plz i nid to sell off mine,any ideas would do
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 28, 2012
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by deols(f): 10:09pm On Jun 28, 2012
chaircover:

Deols yes you are right, we were closed for a few hours on Tuesday.

Yes you are right every single item in the shop is UK imported, selected, purchased and imported by moi grin

No we dont just sell bridal gowns and accessories. We are a unisex boutique, gift shop and mart too. Look in my profile for our website details it will give you an idea of some of what is stocked in the shop; cosmetics, perfumes, gifts, greeting cards, chocolates, fashion accessories, shoe, bag sets, handbags, watches, adult bedroom toys, household decor and much much more.

Please feel free to drop by. We look forward to serving you kiss

nice wink smiley I'll be there IA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cynthia Ocheze Wins Miss Apex Queen Nigeria 2018 / Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! / Ini Edo On The Cover Of Fashion & Lifestyle Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.