Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:55 PM

Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon (3253 Views)

Serena And Venus Williams Live In Lagos, Meets Gov Fashola (pixs) / Serena And Venus Williams To Visit Nigeria In October / French Open 2009: Nadal Loses In The Fourth Round!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by mukina2: 3:43pm On Jun 25, 2012
WIMBLEDON, England — Five-time champion Venus Williams lost in the opening round of Wimbledon for the first time since 1997, falling 6-1, 6-3 to Elena Vesnina of Russia today.

Williams had lost in the second round at the French Open, her first Grand Slam action since Aug. 29, 2011, at the U.S. Open; two days later, she pulled out of her second-round match at that tournament, revealing that she’d been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.

The unseeded Williams lost the first five games today. She put up more of a fight in the second set but was broken in the sixth game when she missed a forehand. Vesnina clinched the match with a service winner.

Williams was making her 16th straight appearance at Wimbledon and had not lost in the first round since her debut.

Source
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by EPOMA(m): 3:47pm On Jun 25, 2012
nawoooo
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by tunapawizzy: 3:52pm On Jun 25, 2012
So? We should go and jump inside red sea? Hissssss nonsense
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by chuckdee4(m): 3:53pm On Jun 25, 2012
She should call it a day, its becoming embarrasing now
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by toluxe0075: 3:58pm On Jun 25, 2012
She don sha..she should just retire
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by OAM4J: 4:05pm On Jun 25, 2012
Retirement!
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by femzy(m): 4:40pm On Jun 25, 2012
[size=13pt]Quite sad she crashes out.... Alot of Psychological issues i reckon and @ 32 what do you expect [/size]
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by Afam4eva(m): 5:31pm On Jun 25, 2012
This is really embarassing. Venus Williams has lost steam and should think of retiring. Her sister, Serena still has it in her and has a couple of years to go.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by bikerboy1(m): 5:56pm On Jun 25, 2012
Its quite unfortunate, I feel for her. Just hope thesame fate would note befall her sister, Serena.

Maybe the law of diminishing return is setting in.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by emekson(m): 6:28pm On Jun 25, 2012
ókò ti poju ;Dókò ti poju

1 Like

Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by linkin8k(m): 6:41pm On Jun 25, 2012
Not by force to comment

tunapawizzy: So? We should go and jump inside red sea? Hissssss nonsense
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by Sagamite(m): 6:51pm On Jun 25, 2012
tunapawizzy: So? We should go and jump inside red sea? Hissssss nonsense

Why don't you shut up if you have nothing sensible to say?

They forced your dumb arse to visit NL or comment on it?

1 Like

Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by Egbagirl(f): 9:44pm On Jun 25, 2012
femzy: [size=13pt]Quite sad she crashes out.... A lot of Psychological issues i reckon and @ 32 what do you expect [/size]

Heard and read she has some kind of illness (autoimmune disease) and that's prolly what's taking a toll on her. Here's a link to an article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/sports/tennis/venus-williams-battling-disease-back-at-french-open.html
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by allenuzoma(m): 10:29pm On Jun 25, 2012
Make she come marry me.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by ortopazz(m): 11:08pm On Jun 25, 2012
My childhood crush hate to see her suffer, she still has olympics wiv serena, God I feel for her.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by Otses(f): 7:02am On Jun 26, 2012
Too bad for her, but I think it is time she stopped playing competitive tennis. Her days of glory seem to be over.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by femzy(m): 8:00am On Jun 26, 2012
Egba girl:

Heard and read she has some kind of illness (autoimmune disease) and that's prolly what's taking a toll on her. Here's a link to an article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/sports/tennis/venus-williams-battling-disease-back-at-french-open.html

[size=13pt]With the no of gals that are playing fine on the circuit; i doubt she has any chance to clinch a title.[/size]
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by webmanlag: 8:14am On Jun 26, 2012
afam4eva: This is really embarassing. Venus Williams has lost steam and should think of retiring. Her sister, Serena still has it in her and has a couple of years to go.

Serena? the only thing she got left is that fat arse...
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by Afam4eva(m): 8:27am On Jun 26, 2012
webmanlag:

Serena? the only thing she got left is that fat arse...
Apart from her arse, she still can still play good tennis. She won a major compeition some months back and got to the Quater/Semi final of the french open.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by pssword: 12:26pm On Jun 26, 2012
I think it's time foe her to retire before she destroys her legacies with more of this kind of losses.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by Egbagirl(f): 2:06pm On Jun 26, 2012
femzy:

[size=13pt]With the no of gals that are playing fine on the circuit; i doubt she has any chance to clinch a title.[/size]

True. It's gonna be really hard. I think goal right now is to win at the olympics. Not sure if she's after any major title anymore after that. I wish she finishes strong though.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by GudluckIBB(m): 8:21pm On Jun 26, 2012
Disliked these 2 ladies when one of them said he cannot date a back man.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by webmanlag: 10:18pm On Jun 30, 2012
afam4eva:
Apart from her arse, she still can still play good tennis. She won a major compeition some months back and got to the Quater/Semi final of the french open.

major competition in terms of grand slams or ATP 1000? The title she won last was the Madrid Open this year. I have watched tennis for at least 20 years and I do not believe Serena can win another grand slam. However, she has 13 slams so her place in tennis history is secured. She just doesn't have the physical prowess over the rest of the field that she used to have. That goes for Venus as well, both of them don't have any consistency to win big titles. By the way, Serena lost in the first round of the French open to unseeded Virginie Razzano 6-4,6-7,3-6.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by AndroBlaze: 4:52pm On Jul 08, 2012
webmanlag:

major competition in terms of grand slams or ATP 1000? The title she won last was the Madrid Open this year. I have watched tennis for at least 20 years and I do not believe Serena can win another grand slam. However, she has 13 slams so her place in tennis history is secured. She just doesn't have the physical prowess over the rest of the field that she used to have. That goes for Venus as well, both of them don't have any consistency to win big titles. By the way, Serena lost in the first round of the French open to unseeded Virginie Razzano 6-4,6-7,3-6.

Probably to hasty with this comment.
Re: Venus Williams Loses In First Round At Wimbledon by webmanlag: 11:34am On Jul 09, 2012
Andro Blaze:

Probably to hasty with this comment.

I agree. However, I still believe she is far too inconsistent to win regularly.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Make Money On Nairabet VFL / Top Five Best Soccer Players In The World 2017-2018 Current List / Nigeria Football Quiz 3(Xmas Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.