Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,252 members, 7,780,537 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:02 PM

Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) (13261 Views)

My Business 1 0 1: The Entrepreneurs' Lounge / 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by wealthyguy(m): 5:02pm On Jan 26, 2009
hi guys,

i have been following this thread and i'm
getting more interested about the education
that is been introduced on starting a business
for the entreprenuer.

but i think we should expand our view a bit
by talking about what is takes anybody that
is considering starting an online business i.e
becoming a Netpreneur.

so what does it take to be one?

any information is necessary.

keep it up guys.

==================================
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by teemy(m): 6:14pm On Jan 26, 2009
Well wealtyguy, I am not sure if this thread is meant to cater for internet biz issues. However let's hear the comments from other members.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by omobana: 6:30pm On Jan 28, 2009
I quickly went to check on the meaning of Enterpreneur and Businessman all I got was just more confusion. The most important thing here is we want to make money.

Apart from all the scholastic steps to starting a business which I still havent tried, the most important thing is finding a niche. The next thing is starting no matter how small.

From my little experience what kills many business ideas is thinking too big from the beginning. Even the biggest ventures out there today started small. The only difference is how long it takes to reach the top.

I started computer selling and repairs with nothing more than a screwdriver and CDs. Three years later I am doing business worth $10,000. This all started by helping family and friends for free. One day a friend said why dont you charge people since you spend time and effort.

Another complain I hear is the need for capital. It is true some capital is needed to start a business but like I said start small. Somewhere in this forum I read that it take about 3M Naira to start a fishing farm and at the same time some started with as little as 200K or less. A guy also started poultry with probably 50K by just buying 10 cockrels. Most important thing is start.

The good thing about starting no matter how small is you get to meet people. You have started something so you dont want it to fail --thus you start talking to people doing the same thing. This could lead to break through.

If you noticed, I said I now do business worth $10,000, this is all cash transactions (I dont deal with credit) which makes things harder. Like I said, I started with a screwdriver and some CDs and then part of my salary ($200-$300). One day, I meet this guy that I was about to buy some laptops from and we started talking. He then told me he could supply me as much as I wanted. I thought it was a joke. After about 3 to 4 transaction, we have built a relationship to the extent that this guy would give me product worth thousands of dollars with out me depositing anything.

[center]So my people start no matter how small. I guess this is more of a testimonial[/center]
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by teemy(m): 9:40pm On Jan 28, 2009
omobana:

I quickly went to check on the meaning of Enterpreneur and Businessman all I got was just more confusion. The most important thing here is we want to make money.

I really like that opening line. smiley

I could add 'profits'

Ciao
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by omobana: 9:32pm On Jan 29, 2009
I hope no one believes all these scam of making certain amount in certain number of days.

The only way to make a certain amount of money in a certain number of days is if someone is hiring you to do some work.

Dont fall for the scam. Look at this person and ask a simple question "Why are you still running around if you have a scheme for making money?"

Well his/her scheme of making money is to scam you.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by teemy(m): 2:33pm On Jan 30, 2009
omobana:

I hope no one believes all these scam of making certain amount in certain number of days.

The only way to make a certain amount of money in a certain number of days is if someone is hiring you to do some work.

Dont fall for the scam. Look at this person and ask a simple question "Why are you still running around if you have a scheme for making money?"

Well his/her scheme of making money is to scam you.

I really believe that one can over a period in time one can acquire large sums of cash when one is deligent in a particular business at hand. One thing comes to note though, you only make money when someone(s) 'lose' to you.

Let me explain: You go to the local store to purchase an item having it in mind that you are going to lose your cash at hand in exchange for whatsoever good(s) you want. The shop keeper in this case loses what you gain from him (in this case the good(s) you purchased) and himself gaining the money you lose in the deal. At the end of the day both parties are happy as the transaction comes to an end.

Our store keeper here has to do a lot of 'losing and gaining' and will be able to achieve his dream of being rich as long as the gaining - losing = profits by selling more to many customers and repeatitively to each of them.

Tiemo:

BEGIN TO PROFIT  NOW AS AN ENTREPRENEUR

How to become 100,000 naira richer in 40 days, increase six figures by each month

Guaranteed!

For my motivated people who haven't made a single kobo online to help them with my range of helpful materials and articles.

I Do not advocate a Get rich quick syndrome, but if you follow my step by step guide you are sure of making at least above 60,000 naira monthly

Will you like a free information on how to make money legitimately on the internet send a mail to me[b] ibizoffice@aol.com[/b]

So as long as Tiemo can prove withing reasonable logic that there is indeed a ready market that is really willing to lose 60 grand monthly, I am willing to believe him.

One more thing Tiemo, don't you feel that by selling the same information to many people our N60,000 market would be splitted among a mighty bunch  wink .  Entrepreneurs await your response to this.

Ciao.                   

-Teemy
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by janeobi2: 4:34pm On Feb 03, 2009
Starting a business is not for the chiky hearted. It is only for those who can organise their lives, beleiving in hardwork, focus, and setting their mind positively to overcome every challenges. I will say from experience in starting business you are likely not to see the money you are spending coming in. But as time goes on, you will be able to smile to the bank if you are able to correct ur mistakes and push harder for the gold mine.

To be a succesful enterprenuer did not depend on how many degree  you have bargaind but how are you able to make yourself an attractive personality to be able to sell yourself through in ur chosen carear. For example, as a sales man, you need to possess some attractive characters that will help you get more customers so easily.
Learn the 15 IMPORTANT CHARACTERS OF AN ATTRACTIVE PERSONALITY  www.homeofachievers..com
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Epi: 11:07pm On Feb 07, 2009
An Interesting Read

Expand Your Niche

If you've been running your business for a while, you've probably fallen into somewhat of a routine. Sure, there are the day-to-day fires that need to be put out, and your head may be swimming with all the new ways the Internet presents to get your name in front of potential customers in your niche market. But, if you are successful, you probably stay focused on selling to that niche market you've already identified as most likely to buy your product or service.

And that's a good thing, right?

Well, yes, to a point.

Finding a need and filling it is the way most small businesses succeed. But don't let your success box you in.

If you do nothing but serve that one niche, you could be missing one or more other markets that wouldn't be all that difficult to reach. For example, instead of relying solely on the walk-in retail business at your bakery, could you increase profits by selling the bread and cakes to local restaurants? If you're selling successfully to the business community, could you also sell to state, federal or local government agencies?

To make sure you're not missing opportunities to branch into new markets, once a quarter, take the time to ask, "Who else needs what we sell?" Throw the question at your team, at business acquaintances who don't compete with you, at family and friends. Write down their responses and review them with an open mind. The result could be a new lucrative market for what you sell.

http://www.businessknowhow.com/businessideas/market_research/expand_your_niche.php
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by bolakuti: 5:50pm On Feb 10, 2009
I have been able to read alot, but no one specifically brought an idea of a business that others can learn or practice. I run a business of frozen foods but these days NEPA don too show me pls my nigeria family tell me what other business can i do with two new deep frizers and a Generator (5.5kw), I need to go on. Thanks, bolakuti
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by sleekdot(m): 5:55pm On Feb 12, 2009
@omobana I read ur post I must say u touched the right spot.I am in a business just like you,I repair PCs,sell PCs,netwk wired n wireless et al. before i got stated I got myself trained in all aspects of the biz,after the trainen i had another trainin on entrepreneurship,after which I started the biz,am nu though but i can the bright lite,am not lookin for some fast money that would get me into trouble,i want to work n get paid.keep the hope alive
thanks so much
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by nwajohn(m): 10:28am On Feb 16, 2009
All of you guys have made good point(s) about entreprenuership and starting a business. But for me what is very essential for success in business or  in any adventure is to have the desire to do what you are doing. Because whatever you desire and give it all you got bet me you will certainly achieve it doesn't matter how long it takes remember 'Rome was not built in a day' so you can do your self a good favour to read this book from a veteran -Napoleon Hill titled THINK AND GROW RICH it will certainly help any aspiring entreprenuers.

thanks
john
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by nwajohn(m): 10:30am On Feb 16, 2009
All of you guys have made good point(s) about entreprenuership and starting a business. But for me what is very essential for success in business or  in any adventure is to have the desire to do what you are doing. Because whatever you desire and give it all you got bet me you will certainly achieve it doesn't matter how long it takes remember 'Rome was not built in a day' so you can do your self a good favour to read this book from a veteran -Napoleon Hill titled THINK AND GROW RICH it will certainly help any aspiring entreprenuers.

thanks
john
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by NewsFlash: 6:29pm On Feb 17, 2009
You are in the spirit my brother. Lets share information that will help one another. I just found this site that is offering free Business tool kit. If you are starting a business, or already in business, they are offering software to create professional balance sheet, cashflow, profit and loss account for free

If you have staff, they have another free software called A - Z of staff management. It contains templates for application forms, staff recruitment letters, disciple procedures and letters for all stages, retirement, etc

It also has 50 standard business template letters. You just modify the letter and send. See their article at

http://www.mynaijanews.com/content/view/2884/144/

If it's free help for software and business tools you want, read this article quickly before they finish.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by ceebayjo(m): 12:10pm On Feb 23, 2009
Hello,
My firm publishes a bi monthly business newsletter. The next edition is expected to be out by March 2009. We want to feature 10 young Nigerian business owners of our time. Are you between the ages of 18 and 40? Let's have a description of your business, i.e what you do, how you started, why your services are very unique, plans you have for the future, how you have been able to manage crisis that affects your business,etc. Send it in an email with a scanned copy of your best picture to classic.bayjo@gmail.com
please submit your details with your real names before 2nd of March. Publication will be on first come basis.
Best regards.
Ayokunle Bankole
Publisher, The Business Anchor Newsletter
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Hayatto: 5:43pm On Feb 23, 2009
New Business?

Tired of overheads?

Get the BEST out of your business (small, medium or large scale businesses)

www.fbaglobal.com  or contact us direct on info@fbaglobal.com to see how we can assist you in achieving your business goals.

Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Epi: 5:09am On Feb 24, 2009
Just thought I should throw this question out. 

Buying a Business vs. Starting a Business

Assuming you are passionate about this business.  You are satisfied with the business sales history and as to why they are selling the business. The company has a good reputation and customer base is solid.  Question: would you buy a business or start a new one?

Personally, I think buying a business is the best way to go. It's expensive but worth it. I know it’s cheaper to start your own business but hey, you have a lot of marketing to do.
Whereas, when you buy a business (already established) you have the existing customers hence quick revenue. 

What's your take on this?
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by LateefO(m): 5:16pm On Feb 27, 2009
Hello,
In starting a new business you require a lot of things but definitely capital is not the first thing like some people will see it and thus will not start on time.

The starting key or the most important tool I will recommend is SELF. What do I mean by self?
>Your Burning Desire To Start.
>Positive Attitude
>Passion/Zeal.
See, these factors I stated above is what I call SELF, they are the driving force to the starting of a business after which Knowledge and Capital follows.

With the replies to these post you might not have to pay for any consulting service again but if you do it will be a plus.
I can render a free consulting service to anyone from this forum on starting a business.
I guess my advice will help to a reasonable extent.

To Your Success.
Lateef (Online Business Expert)
http://www.onlinebusinessexpose.com
0805-2243-778
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by harkeju(m): 6:27pm On Mar 01, 2009
If u r lookin 4 a biz 2 venture in2 i fink d first fing 2 do is to make a list of d fings u luv doin best, den 4rm d list, fink of ways by which u can make money doin dose fings, startin' 4rm d best. Afta determinin' dat, make an evaluation of d idea dat seems 2 be lucrative d most. NOTE: U really need 2 go out 2 investig8 dose already in d biz 2 know d challenges, den u get prepared nd build on dem. Afta all dis capital sets in.
One more fing, muv wif d rite pple

nd re-shedule ur daily activities
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by brianromel(m): 1:56pm On Mar 08, 2009
For one who has worked in 2 different states and in 4 different sectors,it was easy for me to step out on my own.
I work in the oil and gas sector when i finished my service in 2006,went into the security sector 3 months later,dabbled into insurance marketing in sept 2007,then to mobile softwares in jan 2008,to palm kernel supply by feb 2008,to working for a consulting firm by june 2008,to finally running my own business in feb 2009.
In each case i saw what i was doing as gathering experience for later.
I never knew that experience would come to bear now.Cos it ain't been easy for me and my partner.
Imagine working out of each others home with no office or initial capital but using our gathered experience to start a marketing firm that employs marketers for small businesses.A laptop sales arm helped by a large pull of partner firms in computer village thats sells laptops and get paid only delivery any where in LAGOS and A webdesign arm that designs mini sites for small businesses.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by brianromel(m): 2:01pm On Mar 08, 2009
Its not been an easy task but our effort and our ability to think up new arms and business areas that are within our experience scope has given us the clients,we need to establish a base with.
I have found out that when you want to start a business,don't just look at cash and a need for a office,just look at making it look professional first then start.
http://vicnigeria.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by leniboy: 2:56pm On Mar 11, 2009
hello everybody,i have read the topics on this section and i know you can help me with my enquiry,i have a honda crv presently in lagos state which i have put up for sale but have not gotten any credible buyers,so i am thinking of registering it and using it for private car hire services in lagos,please is there anyone who has an idea how much i can expect monthly or a rough estimate?

i spoke to a man at the sheraton hotel in ikeja and he said about 60,000 naira monthly, please if you have any idea contribute as i have to make a decision very soon thank you all!!
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Epi: 10:07pm On Apr 02, 2009
I was Spring cleaning and found these two books.  Thought I should share with you.

No More Mondays by Dan Miller

Dan Miller reveals, the only way to find true security is by following your calling and then finding or creating work that matches that calling and passion

http://48daysblog./no-more-mondays/

Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

http://www.amazon.com/Total-Money-Makeover-Financial-Fitness/dp/0785289089

enjoy!

1love
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by shawonlese: 9:38am On May 14, 2009
From all my visits to banks in western countries, they are more interested in assisting entrepreneurs in growing their business because they believe the success of the entrpreneur's business is also the success of the bank.

Come to my country Nigeria, some banks are more interested in what is in it for the bank.

As a customer, we approached GTbank with a proposal, they politely declined it, and a month later, re-packaged our proposal into one of their new products.

We shall get to the end of this case. No matter how big a man is, a soldier ant in his trouser will definitely make him pull off the trouser.

In the mean time, please pass this on to every entrepreneur or intending entrepreneur you know.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by coolted(m): 3:44pm On Jun 22, 2009
i can assure that the best business you can do is a business that you have a total control of.

many pple thought that the best thing to do after school is to get a jo, but i ask where do you these jobs?

lets be realistic, there is no more new jobs being created. so you look for what to do.

i have a Msc in computer engineering, but i couldn't work with it, because no jobs.

what do i do?

i went into traing in forex trading, yes many of you might think its a joke but it is true, trust me. i got my hands burnt, i lost over $1000 in this business even though i started with $700,because i never followed some rules.

well that is a school of hardnucks for me.

now i'm comfortable, i still trade in forex, i make atleast $400 weekly following simple rules, i do survey, in all i only do 3 works on net which makes me comfortable. so i'll advice look for someting doing or copy my system, it might not be perfect but i get paid handsomely every week.

if you need my system i could gladly offer them to you. just mail me at cooligine@yahoo.com, subject system.

thanks.
nb if you have any other good system let me know 2.
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by mygeeone(m): 7:19pm On Jun 22, 2009
To me to start a business is very risky. It is not easy to take out of the meagres paid as salary to establish a business because after the house rent, transportation and other expenses are deducted, the remains are not sufficient enough to finance any notable project. Lets think of someone that earns #18000 per month, of which about #9000 is spent on transportation. This persons will have to feed himself paid for rent and other miscellaneous expenses. He will find it difficult to even safe a thousand naira
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by rtforex: 7:24pm On Jun 24, 2009
I am also interested in this thread particularly in starting oil business
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by luck007(m): 12:00am On Jul 03, 2009
hi everyone,i read this thread and i want u guys to give me some ideas on establishing a Record label
what kind of things that i'm gonna face?
which people i'm gonna hook up with when i start?
how much is it going to cost me?

i need ideas from everyone pls
Re: Starting a Business (For The Entrepreneurs) by Uche2nna(m): 8:53pm On Jul 04, 2009
U prolly need to redirect ur request to one of the numerous music threads around, there are cats on those threads who seem to know their stuff.

Maybe NL members like Sauron, Crackles, lalaboi et al might go a long way in helping U. I suggest U talk to one of them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Customs Is Dishonest About N486bn Revenue - Omokri / World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 / Militants Destroy Trans-niger Pipeline, Nigeria Loses 150,000bpd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.