Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,399 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal (9218 Views)

Mesut Ozil Officially Signs For Arsenal / Santi Cazorla Signs For Arsenal / Didier Drogba Signs For Shanghai Shenhua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by awesomet1(m): 10:29am On Jun 26, 2012
Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that France international Olivier Giroud has agreed to join the Club on a long-term contract.

The 25-year old striker completed a medical before agreeing terms at the Club’s training ground on Monday evening. The completion of the transfer is now just the subject of formal processes.

Giroud arrives from French champions Montpellier, where 21 goals in 36 league appearances made him the French league’s joint top goalscorer last season and also earned him a place in the Ligue 1 Team of the Year.

Giroud, who enjoyed a two-year spell at the Stade de la Mosson and broke into the national team in November 2011, flew to London after representing Les Bleus at the European Championship in Ukraine and Poland.

The Chambéry-born player spent his formative years in France's lower leagues, developing his game with Grenoble, on loan at FC Istres and then at Tours FC, where he played alongside Laurent Koscielny for a season before being awarded the Ligue 2 Player of the Year award in 2009/10.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “We are delighted to have secured the signing of Olivier Giroud. He has a very good physical presence and is exceptional in the air, with a great work ethic. We are excited about Olivier joining us and he will add an additional dimension to our attacking options next season.

“He has proved that he is capable of performing at the top level with club and country, and we saw what a big influence he was in Montpellier’s championship-winning side last season. We all look forward to Olivier joining us and seeing him play in an Arsenal shirt.”

Giroud, whose contract with Arsenal will officially commence on July 1, said: “I am delighted to be here at Arsenal and to be part of one of the great teams in English football. It's a huge satisfaction to join this great club and it’s been a dream since I was young to play in the Premier League.

“I was attracted by the philosophy of football and Arsène Wenger’s 'touch' at this club. I have always admired Arsenal with its great history and reputation, and I now hope to achieve great things here. I’m very proud to be a Gunner and I will give my best for all the Arsenal fans.”

Giroud will join up with the Gunners for the Club’s pre-season preparations ahead of the new season.
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/olivier-giroud-agrees-deal-to-join-arsenal

2 Likes

Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by delkuf(m): 10:53am On Jun 26, 2012
Good one for Arsenal. Which them best of luck
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by mukina2: 11:21am On Jun 26, 2012
Welcome!! cool

1 Like

Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by inspirenet: 11:28am On Jun 26, 2012
wink
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by cherish(m): 11:28am On Jun 26, 2012
wish him best at emirate
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by chelseabmw(m): 11:29am On Jun 26, 2012
Another flop.........but I think I like the guy personally...I want arsenal to win but manchester clubs next season....but why is arsenal always buying french players?
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by dotcomnamename: 11:29am On Jun 26, 2012
Dis is 9ice
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by awesomet1(m): 11:30am On Jun 26, 2012
chelseabmw: Another flop.........but I think I like the guy personally...I want arsenal to win but manchester clubs next season....but why is arsenal always buying french players?
Because Arsene is French!
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by Tsmooth1(m): 11:32am On Jun 26, 2012
O.k i don hear.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by folahann(m): 11:35am On Jun 26, 2012
At least we are seeing some early deals. Another french from french Ligue
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by HNIC(m): 11:35am On Jun 26, 2012
chelseabmw: Another flop.........but I think I like the guy personally...I want arsenal to win but manchester clubs next season....but why is arsenal always buying french players?
Is Podolski French?
Take it back to last season. . .I am sure Oxlade Chamberlain,Gervinho,Mertesacker,Santos, Park and Arteta are not French players.

1 Like

Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by Jaywon242(m): 11:37am On Jun 26, 2012
@chelsea,so because he's not a chelsea player,u called him a flop.How can d highest goal scorer in d french league be a flop.Drogba was also d highest goal scorer for d french league b4 he came to chelsea. Sm1 like you could also ve called koscielny a flop when arsenal bought him. And moreover, there are only 3 french players in arsenal(koscielny,diaby,sagna).Try to always be objective and sensible in ur analysis.

4 Likes

Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by Dejohnbull: 11:38am On Jun 26, 2012
Buying french playerz is our wish' wenger,viera flamini, henry, sagna, kolceiny... Gud 4 Gunners .......
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by emmke(m): 11:50am On Jun 26, 2012
Arsene get rid of Chamahk...NOW
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by mrperfect(m): 11:50am On Jun 26, 2012
Let hope that this will bring something positive to the team.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by ibrash600: 11:52am On Jun 26, 2012
Jaywon242: @chelsea,so because he's not a chelsea player,u called him a flop.How can d highest goal scorer in d french league be a flop.Drogba was also d highest goal scorer for d french league b4 he came to chelsea. Sm1 like you could also ve called koscielny a flop when arsenal bought him. And moreover, there are only 3 french players in arsenal(koscielny,diaby,sagna).Try to always be objective and sensible in ur analysis.
coquelin is also french..
I wish new signing d best at emirate, i hope dis wil improve our striking prb
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by odedipapa(m): 11:53am On Jun 26, 2012
Jaywon242: @chelsea,so because he's not a chelsea player,u called him a flop.How can d highest goal scorer in d french league be a flop.Drogba was also d highest goal scorer for d french league b4 he came to chelsea. Sm1 like you could also ve called koscielny a flop when arsenal bought him. And moreover, there are only 3 french players in arsenal(koscielny,diaby,sagna).Try to always be objective and sensible in ur analysis.
Nice one bro. I don't know y most of my chelsea fans talk nonsense.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by BizBooks(m): 11:59am On Jun 26, 2012
HNIC:
Is Podolski French?
Take it back to last season. . .I am sure Oxlade Chamberlain,Gervinho,Mertesacker,Santos, Park and Arteta are not French players.

Well, Gervinho can be considered a French player. He is from Ivory Coast, a French
speaking country and used to play in France. There is no doubt that Arsene Wenger has a
strong bias for French or France based players. Take a look at this long list of French
players on Arsenal squad:

Bakare Sagna
Abou Diaby
Laurent Koscielny
Sebastien Squillaci
Francis Coquelin
Marouane Chamakh
Olivier Girourd
Alex Song (Cameroun / French)
Gervinho (Ivory Coast / French)

Thierry Henry (ex-player)
Christian Viera (ex-player)
Gael Clichy (ex-player)
Samir Nasr (ex-player)

If Wenger gets a goal-keeper from France, he could field an entire team made up of French
players.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by idirect(m): 12:02pm On Jun 26, 2012
Another Chaamakh in making.

The guy handsome sha cheesy
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by tobechi74: 12:21pm On Jun 26, 2012
Welcome Giroud..i tink arsenal has got a long term replacement for henry. I think he shud be able to combine wel wit vanpersie if wenga plays 4-4-2.

I believe he wunt b a flop like chamak and park chu young. Kudos 2 arsenal
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by ayojango(m): 12:32pm On Jun 26, 2012
BizBooks:

Well, Gervinho can be considered a French player. He is from Ivory Coast, a French
speaking country and used to play in France. There is no doubt that Arsene Wenger has a
strong bias for French or France based players. Take a look at this long list of French

Bakare Sagna
Abou Diaby
Laurent Koscielny
Sebastien Squillaci
Francis Coquelin
Marouane Chamakh
Olivier Girourd

Gael Clichy (ex-player)
Samir Nasr (ex-player)

If Wenger gets a goal-keeper from France, he could field an entire team made up of French
players.

Don't use grammer to confuse your self u say french based: what does that mean,wat club did henry Arsenal from,and vieiras first name is patrick.

We knw English players aint got skillz so no one bids for them and d few ones abroad Flop. So get ur facts correct,being based in a place doesn't mean ur from there
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by slimming: 12:39pm On Jun 26, 2012
Good step for him.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 26, 2012
Good one. nw we nid yann m'villa to mk our squad complete.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by 1025: 1:04pm On Jun 26, 2012
now that he just signed for arsenal, his club has made money and he is also coming to make more money than he was making in his former club and possibly win trophies.
come next season or two, if he shines, other clubs will come calling. only then will these same fans celebrating here now tell us how wenger made him and how he is a judas.
please if this player is a judas, let us start calling him judas now not when he wants to change club tomorrow.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by BizBooks(m): 1:08pm On Jun 26, 2012
ayo jango: .

Don't use grammer to confuse your self u say french based: what does that mean,wat club did henry Arsenal from,and vieiras first name is patrick.

We knw English players aint got skillz so no one bids for them and d few ones abroad Flop. So get ur facts correct,being based in a place doesn't mean ur from there

You're right, it is Patrick not Christian Viera. But every single player on my list is
either French or French speaking. Tell me one out of the 13 that is not.

This matter is not even in dispute. It is a well established fact that Wenger looks to
France for his players.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by mukina2: 1:11pm On Jun 26, 2012
BizBooks:

Bakare Sagna
Abou Diaby
Laurent Koscielny
Sebastien Squillaci
Francis Coquelin
Marouane Chamakh
Olivier Girourd

Gael Clichy (ex-player)
Samir Nasr (ex-player)

players.

he is Patrick Vieira

Christian Viera is Italian and he never played for arsenal
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by BizBooks(m): 1:14pm On Jun 26, 2012
mukina2:
he is Patrick Vieira

Christian Viera is Italian and he never played for arsenal

Yes, I have corrected that in an earlier post.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 26, 2012
idirect: Another Chaamakh in making.

The guy handsome sha cheesy
HOMO ALERT!!!

1 Like

Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jun 26, 2012
This is why I don't believe anything until it is confirmed. This guy came out last week to debunk these claims and now he is smiling in an Arsenal Shirt. I guess that means RVP is headed somewhere else. If he does.... grin grin grin grin
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by BizBooks(m): 1:23pm On Jun 26, 2012
Zeddicus: I guess that means RVP is headed somewhere else. If he does.... grin grin grin grin

On the contrary, this actually means van Persie will stay. He has been complaining that
Wenger has not purchased "quality" players. Now here's one.
Re: Olivier Giroud Signs For Arsenal by ebgbest(m): 1:25pm On Jun 26, 2012
awesome_t: Because Arsene is French!
coz player fro france are cheap

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UCL: Schalke Vs Arsenal - (2 - 2) -On 6th November 2012 / West Ham Vs Arsenal (0 - 0) On 13th December 2017 / Manchester United Remains World's Richest Sport's Club - Forbes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.