Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

Wind Turbine Construction With Pics - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Wind Turbine Construction With Pics (25038 Views)

Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. / The Wind Turbine Can Generate Electricity For Every Home In A Country / Vision 2020 Electric Power Generation: Backyard Turbine System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Feraz(m): 9:48pm On Jun 28, 2012
Feraz: loving the replies I'm seeing here....don't have much to say since I'm an undergraduate of the same field.....goodluck on your project and hope you get the desired grade you worked hard for........pls, you can check my thread here for some help
https://www.nairaland.com/976112/industrial-training
thanks
pls, Engineers in the house, i need your comments and opinions in the above thread i created....thanks
Sadik, sorry for using your thread as a platform....your opinion is also needed.....
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by purpinkx(m): 10:20am On Jun 29, 2012
A step forward ... Will ur wind speed clock-up 500rpm/250rpm ... Ac motor cheesy Some1 wants to get a shot(ghrrrr)
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 10:29am On Jun 29, 2012
purpinkx: A step forward ... Will ur wind speed clock-up 500rpm/250rpm ... Ac motor cheesy Some1 wants to get a shot(ghrrrr)
Probably not, but with pulley system I'll get somthing high.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 10:33am On Jun 29, 2012
homerac7: On issue if u should use slip ring motor or not, only DC motors/generators use slip rings.

And on using speed improvement/reduction drive train, I want u to remember dt if u increase speed, u will lose torque; and if u reduce speed, u gain torque. Consider also the attendant losses to friction, slip and elasticity (since I saw in ur drawing a belt and pulley arrangement). For bigger power transmission, those r minor losses, but for a smaller arrangement like what u r planning, it becomes significant and reflects on ur final output.

Please mail me, I need to ask you somethings.. Thanks.
Sadikk99@yahoo.com
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Feraz(m): 2:47pm On Jun 29, 2012
homerac7....pls do you mind checking my link above.....thanks
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 8:55pm On Jul 01, 2012
Hey dude sorry I stopped communication. Exam stuff.
So what did you decide on?
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 2:15am On Jul 02, 2012
Mynd_44: Hey dude sorry I stopped communication. Exam stuff.
So what did you decide on?
No wahala.. Hop your exams are going well.. Wish you all the best.
I went back to test the motors, I left out the dc motors because I did some reserch and discovered its going to be a very hectic and just using a rectifier is not just going to be enough.. So i tried the dc motors alone, unfortunately there were no match. I started thinking of making an axial flux generator, but after serching high and low I couldn't find neodymium magnets, something you can walk into walmart and buy in yankee.
If only I could get it, it would have been awesome, to make my own generator.
So as I was serching I came across a dc motor that seems to work perfectly, I wasn't able to analysis the motor, the guys was rushing to get home, curfew thingy.. Today is a sunday, so tomorow ISA the first thing I'll do is go check him and finalise the deal.
But right now I am busy on the calculations, of the blades and blade design. I am holding back a lil, because I don't have an approximate air speed.. I did some reserch and got speed, but I want to go to the airport and get more accurate data and then really work on it.
So that's where I am..
If I get the motor tomorrow I'll upload the pic..
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 7:57pm On Jul 02, 2012
Ok!
I have aquired my motor.. Its nice, I only hope it performes well.
But from the testing I have carried out its working very fine. Pics of the motor below and testing which I did from just cranking it with my fingers.

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 8:03pm On Jul 02, 2012
This are pic from the test, I just cranked it with my fingers and got this amazing output.. cheesy cheesy

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 8:10pm On Jul 02, 2012
Sorry, forgot to give the spec.
Its a DC motor, 60volts but don't know the speed..
Its not in rpm, I'll go through it and covert it to rpm.. I also don't know the current. But that's shouldn't be a problem.. God willing.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Nadoson: 4:21pm On Jul 03, 2012
Im hapy dat nigeria is growin technocaly 2ru nigarian engineering graduates. I graduated as a fully practical Mechanical engineer. My 1st project was AUTOMATED HYDRAULIC JACK & my 2nd in group was COMPUTERISED HEAT TREATMENT FURNACE.
But i was d 1 designed & fabricated d mechanical aspect of d 2nd project. Pls if u need help on mechanical ,den i would lik 2 b of help tnx. 08039300363 or nadolink@yahoo.com Goodluck. May God help u 2 finish wot u stated.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Vergil: 5:04pm On Jul 03, 2012
Funny! Didn't always think a motor can double as a generator. Hmm!

Wondered why u all were saying "motors", instead of "generators"

Guess it makes sense. Since the science is similar/the same.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 5:37pm On Jul 03, 2012
Nadoson: Im hapy dat nigeria is growin technocaly 2ru nigarian engineering graduates. I graduated as a fully practical Mechanical engineer. My 1st project was AUTOMATED HYDRAULIC JACK & my 2nd in group was COMPUTERISED HEAT TREATMENT FURNACE.
But i was d 1 designed & fabricated d mechanical aspect of d 2nd project. Pls if u need help on mechanical ,den i would lik 2 b of help tnx. 08039300363 or nadolink@yahoo.com Goodluck. May God help u 2 finish wot u stated.

Thanks bro, I'll sure give you a call..

Vergil: Funny! Didn't always think a motor can double as a generator. Hmm!

Wondered why u all were saying "motors", instead of "generators"

Guess it makes sense. Since the science is similar/the same.

Your right, that was before I got one, the aim was to get a motor that could be used as a generator, but now that I have it, is no more motor but generator..
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 6:29pm On Jul 12, 2012
Ok so, I know its been long since I made my last post.
I have been hustling wind data from my local airport. Luckily I was able to acquired it today. Imagine I couldn't get complete data from state NIMET or somthing like that, but they were helpful and very nice, they didn't give me much trouble as I anticipated.
Anyways, I got the data and was able to calculate my average wind speed, as well as my TSR and some other minor calculations.
I just want to read a lil bit more on aerodynamics of the blades before I design the blades.
So that's where I satand at the moment, I'll update more frequently from here on out.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by homerac7: 7:15pm On Jul 12, 2012
u r doing good bro. keep it up
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 10:20pm On Jul 12, 2012
homerac7: u r doing good bro. keep it up
Thanks bro.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 7:05am On Jul 15, 2012
كلورين:
Thanks bro.
bro how far have you gone with your project? I am still writing exams so time it is sort of difficult to keep up here
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 11:10am On Jul 15, 2012
Mynd_44:
bro how far have you gone with your project? I am still writing exams so time it is sort of difficult to keep up here
Not bad bro, I am due to start construction tomorrow.God willing. I just hope my supervisor would sign off on it, he kinda slowing me down.
I have changed my design again, to something much more direct, it might not be as sexy looking as the former but hope it gets the job done grin grin
Good luck with your exams..
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 12:13pm On Jul 15, 2012
I am sending you a mail right now
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 11:32pm On Jul 15, 2012
Mynd_44: I am sending you a mail right now
You got mail.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by serrajay(m): 4:16am On Jul 18, 2012
This is a nice project, i wish you could spend much time on the blade design, as that is what determines the performance of the turbine.
check out this site http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/index.html
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 5:18am On Jul 18, 2012
كلورين:
You got mail.
I am just checking it. Been too busy
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 4:56pm On Jul 18, 2012
serrajay: This is a nice project, i wish you could spend much time on the blade design, as that is what determines the performance of the turbine.
check out this site http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/index.html
Thanks for the link.
I actually am goint to make a new set of blades, out of wood. Choose a nice airfoil and carve them to increase the efficiency areodynamically.
If I get enough time, then I can compare the result from two blades.
Mynd_44:
I am just checking it. Been too busy
No wahala..
I hope it helps.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 11:53am On Jul 24, 2012
Arrggghhhh!!! After spending so much time in designing my blades, carving them is now more of a challenge..
Work shop guys are shying away from it, I can't do it my self because I have school work.
I obviously can't go give it to a road side carpenter because it requires a high degree of precision.
So annoying!
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2012
Ok, so I have started the fabrication.
I had to, if not I would have changed the design over and over and over!
Even now that I have started I still changed somethings, I have a pic of what I started with, you need the design pics to understand what is going on, that I will upload later when I get to school.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2012
cheesy cheesy

Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 2:18pm On Jul 25, 2012
Its not much but hey, johnny walker or whatever his name is said "journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
Well this is my first step.
However, the charge controller is finished.. Techinically
Its just remaining astetics, the case for it and finishing it up. I'll also upload the pics of that later on together with the circuit diagram.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 11:42pm On Jul 25, 2012
I just finished the last design!! I hope!
My head aches am tired, its not easy with this fasting as well.
Anyways, am not going to look at it again or look anything up online.. I hope I can finally, concentrate on school work like everybody else.
Upload them tomorrow! I need some sleep.
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Dambudzo: 1:02am On Jul 26, 2012
كلورين: Sorry, forgot to give the spec.
Its a DC motor, 60volts but don't know the speed..
Its not in rpm, I'll go through it and covert it to rpm.. I also don't know the current. But that's shouldn't be a problem.. God willing.

Do you know the number of poles in the motor ?
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 5:32am On Jul 26, 2012
Dambudzo:

Do you know the number of poles in the motor ?

Unfortunately I don't know much about the my generator "motor"
Why do you ask?
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by Mynd44: 3:57am On Jul 30, 2012
You've got mail dude
Re: Wind Turbine Construction With Pics by member10: 7:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
OK!
So, I know I said I started fabrtication some time back, I had to stop. So I have been away for a while because
I was busy working on the technical aspect of the project. My supervisor requested for it.
So I know I said I wouldn't change the design, well I ended up changing it again and again. I guess that is the down side of being a perfectionist, I can't help it but make sure I make the best out of this kind of work. However I believe that's why I almost always end up with the highest assignment score or best prestntation etc. But lose momentum a little bit when it comes to the craming/memorising aspect.
Oh well, I have been finally cleared by my supervisor.. So fabrication can start proper.
I however have made progress in the electrical part, I have my charge contoller ready, just remaing to case it, as I have mentioned in am earlier post. The pics are below.
Then I have designed my blades, going to carve it out of TEAK wood, but if its not available I think I'll use mahogany, haven't researched deeply into mahogany just teak and its the perfect choice, I just pray I get it.
So that's how far I have gone, I have one month to fabricate and test, lightning speed from here on out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Astronomers Discover Non-Habitable Earth-Sized 'Pi Planet' With A 3.14-Day Orbit / Www.whatsapp.com| Download Whatsapp On Android, On Ipad / What Do You Know About Fuelless Generator?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.