Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 (9716 Views)

Ikem ​bridge Collapses And Cuts Off Enugu, Benue, Ebonyi Communities (Photos) / Communal Clashes Between Offa And Erin-ile Kwara State. / PDP fails Abia and Ebonyi State: Apga now essential. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by naptu2: 11:40am On Jun 27, 2012
Renewed Clashes Claim 10 in Benue, Ebonyi

27 Jun 2012

Ten persons were feared dead in a renewed fighting between the bordering communities of Agila  in Ado local government area of Benue State and Ngwo in Ebonyi State.

The perennial land dispute between these two neighbouring communities which has defile resolution, erupted at the early hours of Tuesday with the Ngwo community allegedly deploying mercenaries into Agila and threatening to march into Agila main town. 

An eye-witness at the Benue end of the border said that the renewed fighting has forced inhabitants of Ai-Nedu clan in Agila to flee to Apa Agila for safety. According to him, farmers of Ai-Nedu community had gone to carry out their routine farming activities yesterday morning when they ran into an ambush of over 100 men who marched through Ogilolo community dressed in military camouflage and armed with sophisticated weapons.

“The farmers flee on sighting the men but the mercenaries caught up with one Oche Adayi, a father of four and beheaded him. From that point, they moved in further, shooting sporadically and killing any living thing within the area; as at now we can not ascertain the number of the dead because many people are still missing while some are believed to be trapped in the farms”.

“As at 30 minutes ago we were hearing sounds of gun shots coming from the besieged community near the Community Secondary School in Agila while people are still scampering for safety” he said.

When contacted on phone, the Caretaker Committee Chairman of Ado local government area, Mr. Benard Ochepa,  lamented the extent of the attack on his people.

“The attack was just overwhelming; it is sad that despite efforts by the state government to ensure that this crisis was brought to an end, the people we gave land to habit have now resorted to killing my people, it is sad indeed”.

“In fact the situation is even more painful when you realised that our people have been displaced from their places of abode and their communities made desolate,” Ochepa lamented.
The development yesterday prompted a forced cancellation of all official engagements organised by the Benue State Government.

As at the time of filing this report, the Benue State Security Council, chaired by the Deputy Governor, Chief Steven Lawani, had conveyed an emergency meeting to deliberate over the matter.

When contacted the Deputy Police Public Relations Officer for Benue State, Mr. Ejike Alaribe ASP, who said the police recorded one death in the fighting, added that the state Police Commissioner, Mr. Christopher Katso, personally directed the Area Commander in charge of Otukpo to move to the troubled community to ensure that peace was restored in the communities immediately.

He added that Benue State Police Command was also working in concert with  its counterpart in Ebonyi state to ensure that calm returned to the areas.
“We have drafted more men to the area, and i can assure you that calm has returned to the area”, Alaribe said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/renewed-clashes-claim-10-in-benue-ebonyi/118814/
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Afam4eva(m): 1:44pm On Jun 27, 2012
I think a commitee should be setup to find a way of settling land disputes between communities.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Obinoscopy(m): 1:46pm On Jun 27, 2012
Too bad!

If a study is done to ascertain the number of deaths and money lost due to land disputes in Nigeria since independence, it would be apalling.

FG needs to resolve all these land borders once and for all!
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Tsmooth1(m): 1:47pm On Jun 27, 2012
Imagine people fighting over land that they met and would leave in this world. I de come come abeg make i go do aluwala(ablution) pray.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
as the hausas and fulani and keep conquering and marching southward, its high-time, we start marching northwards, conquering every land, while we now meet up with the hausas and start the war
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by emmyitodo: 1:58pm On Jun 27, 2012
these ibgo man-eaters aka wáawa don dey look for people to chop again....bastards

1 Like

Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Tsmooth1(m): 1:59pm On Jun 27, 2012
crusifis u just de hate with ur face like needle, luk @ d way u de talk like pikin. abeg comot make i see beta people jor.

1 Like

Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by lacasa: 2:01pm On Jun 27, 2012
Na poverty cause all dis 4 naija
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by mabcos: 2:04pm On Jun 27, 2012
crusifis: as the hausas and fulani and keep conquering and marching southward, its high-time, we start marching northwards, conquering every land, while we now meet up with the hausas and start the war
IT'S UNFORTUNATE U DID NOT ASK UR GRAND FATHER ABOUT BIAFRA.

3 Likes

Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by kaiter: 2:09pm On Jun 27, 2012
Imagine people fighting over land that they met and would leave in this world.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Afam4eva(m): 2:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
kaiter: Imagine people fighting over land that they met and would leave in this world.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Talk is cheap free. Why not relinquish your own land(if you have any) since you no carry come and you no go carry go.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by dj5naira(m): 2:12pm On Jun 27, 2012
Stop the circulation of amstel malta in that zone, because they renew.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jun 27, 2012
mabcos: IT'S UNFORTUNATE U DID NOT ASK UR GRAND FATHER ABOUT BIAFRA.

yeah, i ASKED HIM (HE IS STILL PROUD THAT HE FOUGHT) IVE LEARNT THEIR MISTAKES, AND I PROMISE U THAT IN THE NEXT WAR, NIGERIA IS GOING DOWN, DEM NEVA FIT DEFEAT ORDINARY ABOKI, NA INTELLECTUALS AND WARRIORS DEM WAN DEFEAT

2 Likes

Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 27, 2012
Govt should build an airport, Stadium or Mega mall on the disputed land.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by achi4u(m): 2:30pm On Jun 27, 2012
there's no community in Ebonyi state called Ngwo.so,@op do ur reseach well before you post.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Afam4eva(m): 2:31pm On Jun 27, 2012
achi4u: there's no community in Ebonyi state called Ngwo.so,@op do ur reseach well before you post.
I thought so too. The only Ngwo that i know is in Enugu.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 27, 2012
when hausa fulani (in the form of bokoharam) carry out suicide bomb attacks-we call them cowards!
when fulani herdsmen attack farmers unaware in the thick of the night-we call them cowards!
when islamic fanatic dress in military gear and attack christians-we call them cowards!
so now, what do we call igbo villagers dressed in military gear and attacking people? BIG "FOOLISH" COWARDS!!

3 Likes

Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Tsmooth1(m): 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2012
torkaka u no get point abeg go school and learn.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by mekaboy(m): 3:22pm On Jun 27, 2012
THE PAINFUL PART IS THAT THIS LAND DISPUTED IS NOT USED FOR ANYTHING, THEY DON'T BUILD ON IT. JUST FIGHTING AND KILLING FOR NOTHING.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by BlueMurder(m): 3:47pm On Jun 27, 2012
dj5naira: Stop the circulation of amstel malta in that zone, because they renew.

What on earth are you talking about and how is it related to this post?
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Ejine(m): 3:56pm On Jun 27, 2012
afam4eva:
Talk is cheap free. Why not relinquish your own land(if you have any) since you no carry come and you no go carry go.

That thing you just replied is a spambot which copies sentences from the previous posts of others in a thread it features in, and then republishes the post as its own.
The bot just copied T-Smooth's post. I've been monitoring these unusual robots for quite some time now.
Check its previous posts.

I know it ain't much an issue, but hey, it's quite an intriguing discovery smiley
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by ebamma(m): 3:58pm On Jun 27, 2012
killing a fellow human because of land,its high time people realize that u can't kill a fellow human over a piece of land,afterall the land was there before u were born and will still be there after your death.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by ebamma(m): 4:00pm On Jun 27, 2012
dj5naira: Stop the circulation of amstel malta in that zone, because they renew.
someone needs a doctor.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 27, 2012
T-smooth:
torkaka u no get point abeg go school and learn.
^^sharaaap there! Only cowards would disguise in military uniforms to attack unsuspecting civilians; plain and simple.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by ebamma(m): 4:01pm On Jun 27, 2012
man u need deliverance.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Afam4eva(m): 4:03pm On Jun 27, 2012
Ejiné:

That thing you just replied is a spambot which copies sentences from the previous posts of others in a thread it features in, and then republishes the post as its own.
The bot just copied T-Smooth's post. I've been monitoring these unusual robots for quite some time now.
Check its previous posts.

I know it ain't much an issue, but hey, it's quite an intriguing discovery smiley
I noticed it too.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Nuzo1(m): 4:06pm On Jun 27, 2012
torkaka: when hausa fulani (in the form of bokoharam) carry out suicide bomb attacks-we call them cowards!
when fulani herdsmen attack farmers unaware in the thick of the night-we call them cowards!
when islamic fanatic dress in military gear and attack christians-we call them cowards!
so now, what do we call igbo villagers dressed in military gear and attacking people? BIG "FOOLISH" COWARDS!!

In your bid to excuse the messes those blood thirsty Northern islamic fundamentalists and ethnic bigots, you forgot that the reporter may have been paid to pen this chit from their Boko Haram bombed office in Abuja.

I wish to make it clear to you that the Nigerian media belongs to the gutters. This article culled from Thisdaynewpapers is incoherent, biased and full of lies at least. Their mistakes started from mentioning none exitent villages; Ngwo and Agila in both states respectively. If am right, it should be Igala in Benue state and Ngbo in Ebonyi state.
Secondly, it is apperently a biased article to source for imformation regarding this dispute from only one side of the two communities. Notice that the only source of info came from the chairman who live and govern from Markurdi.

I'm also not trying to make excuses for the Igbo villagers. However, it is worthy to note that they went on a retaliatory mission. Sources also have it that the disputed land belongs to them.

The Ngbo people are known to be peacefull set of Igbos. However, they go all out when provoked.

The Benue and Ebonyi govts should be held responsible for turning a blind eye to this dispute.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 27, 2012
Nuzo':

In your bid to excuse the messes those blood thirsty Northern islamic fundamentalists and ethnic bigots, you forgot that the reporter may have been paid to pen this chit from their Boko Haram bombed office in Abuja.

I wish to make it clear to you that the Nigerian media belongs to the gutters. This article culled from Thisdaynewpapers is incoherent, biased and full of lies at least. Their mistakes started from mentioning none exitent villages; Ngwo and Agila in both states respectively. If am right, it should be Igala in Benue state and Ngbo in Ebonyi state.
Secondly, it is apperently a biased article to source for imformation regarding this dispute from only one side of the two communities. Notice that the only source of info came from the chairman who live and govern from Markurdi.

I'm also not trying to make excuses for the Igbo villagers. However, it is worthy to note that they went on a retaliatory mission. Sources also have it that the disputed land belongs to them.

The Ngbo people are known to be peacefull set of Igbos. However, they go all out when provoked.

The Benue and Ebonyi govts should be held responsible for turning a blind eye to this dispute.
^^If you were a journalist, you will be worse-off than the dimwit journalist we have around, who daily harass us with their junk reportage.
You set out to notify us that you are not out to make a case for the Ngbo people meanwhile you went ahead to quote a nameless source who told you that the land in dispute belong to the Ngbo people.
Furthermore, you said the attacker were on a retaliatory mission yet, you fail to tell us what they are avenging. What then is the difference between you and the Thisday reporter you sought to castigate?
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by jamil2(m): 4:34pm On Jun 27, 2012
Can someone help me and notify David Mark this is a great challenge to him and also hang around at his doorstep let him have this issue explained first, before pebbledash the issues outside his periphery.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by adaybayor(m): 4:41pm On Jun 27, 2012
Where is that stupi.d david mark, now this is happening in his state...maybe his kins are also interested in the virgins.
If this was in the core muslim areas some fo.ols will try to make us believe its boko haram but, since it is otherwise we hear it is communal clash..smh.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by bakila: 4:48pm On Jun 27, 2012
afam4eva: I think a commitee should be setup to find a way of settling land disputes between communities.
And the MASSOB attack on Agila should go the way of other commitees, story story storryy.
Re: Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 by Chyz2: 4:49pm On Jun 27, 2012
This whole thing is funny because none of the non-igbo commenters here even knew the Ngbo people were Igbo until one of us said it then thats when all these vultures started coming out to comment,lol. Hell, they don't even know what the people in Ado,Benue state are. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don’t Threaten Danjuma, ACF Warns Tompolo, Dokubo / Tinubu, Ambode And I Are Cool Says Fashola / Ekiti Assembly Sacks Workers As Labour Protests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.