Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain (22572 Views)

3 Things You May Be Doing On Facebook That Make People Dislike You Immediately / Three Things Microsoft Can’t Explain About Their Operating System / Windows Speed Secrets - Things Microsoft Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Ojobojo1(m): 2:29pm On Jun 27, 2012
This are 3 Things or Magic that MICROSOFT Could not Explain to Us! TRY this out & Pls Share your Candid Opinion by Posting your Comments.

MAGIC #1
Found that nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the Computer which can be named as "CON" without the Quotes. This is something funny and inexplicable? At Microsoft the whole Team, couldn't answer why this happened! TRY IT NOW, IT WILL NOT CREATE A "CON" FOLDER. After Trying it, I thought it's Impossible to Create a Folder with 3 letters but i was able to create many Folders with just 3 letters but CON, No way.

MAGIC #2
Again this is something funny and can't be explained? At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened! It was discovered by a Brazilian Programmer. Try it out yourself? Open Microsoft Word and type "=rand (200, 99)" without Quotes And then press ENTER, Wait and see the magic! Is this a Bug or What??

Magic #3
Am sure you all know that a flight number from one of the planes that hit one of the two WTC towers in U.S by Osama on 9/11 was Q33N. In Notepad / WordPad or Microsoft Word, type that flight number i.e Q33N. Increase the font size to 72 then Change the font to Wingdings, You will be amazed by the Findings, You should see the Picture of a Plane, 2 Tower Building and a Symbol meaning Danger.. This has actually been in existence even before the Incident.. Microsoft should be able to explain this.

Microsoft should be able to explain this.

13 Likes

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Ojobojo1(m): 2:32pm On Jun 27, 2012
Mods can you please get this to the front page,people need to know this.Thanks
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by tessyade: 2:47pm On Jun 27, 2012
This is interesting. I tried all and its true. Programmers should have an explanation for it.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Maleeq(m): 3:18pm On Jun 27, 2012
No biggie. Its a known tradition that programmers/developers add "Easter Eggs" to applications.

These are hidden features that don't necessarily add features to the application. But they are kinda cool. Google it out, do you know there are hidden car racing games in lower versions of excel??

Ojobojo1:
MAGIC #1
Found that nobody can create a
FOLDER anywhere on the Computer
which can be named as "CON"
without the Quotes. This is
something funny and inexplicable? At
Microsoft the whole Team, couldn't
answer why this happened! TRY IT
NOW, IT WILL NOT CREATE A "CON"
FOLDER. After Trying it, I thought it's
Impossible to Create a Folder with 3
letters but i was able to create many
Folders with just 3 letters but CON,
No way.
There are several reserved keywords in Windows. The restriction isn't a mistake/magic that, as you claim, even Microsoft cant explain. Ofcourse they put it there to avoid conflict. The CON is a DOS reserved keyword that was brought forward into Windows. CON is used to specify the device file used to capture whatever was printed onscreen.

And oh yes, you can create the folder. You have to specify the UNC (Universal Naming Convention) path though. Try it:
Open the Command prompt by clicking Start -> Run and typing cmd
Enter: C:\> md \\.\c:\con and press the ENTER key.
Now, Open My Computer and browse through the path where you created CON folder... Surprising.. ?? Yeah.. you have created it successfully

Now, try to delete the folder from My computer. OOPS!!! You cant delete it...

Now, try this in command prompt console

C:\> rd \\.\c:\con

Yeah!! You did it...
Check this link for other names you cant use: Restricted File Names On Windows/DOS

Ojobojo1:
MAGIC #2
Again this is something funny and
can't be explained? At Microsoft the
whole Team, including Bill Gates,
couldn't answer why this happened!
It was discovered by a Brazilian
Programmer. Try it out yourself?
Open Microsoft Word and type
"=rand (200, 99)" without Quotes And
then press ENTER, Wait and see the
magic! Is this a Bug or What??
Another hoax. They put it there to create "Filler texts" in a document. Not just the numbers (200, 99), try any combination.
Typing =rand(X,Y) (with numbers for X and Y) results in X paragraphs of Y repetitions of the sentence.
For example, =rand(10,10) will produce ten paragraphs, each with ten repetitions. Microsoft has officially described this as a feature and not an Easter egg.
While you are at it, try =rand() and see the "magic"

Ojobojo1:
Magic #3
Am sure you all know that a flight
number from one of the planes that
hit one of the two WTC towers in U.S
by Osama on 9/11 was Q33N. In
Notepad / WordPad or Microsoft
Word, type that flight number i.e
Q33N. Increase the font size to 72
then Change the font to Wingdings,
You will be amazed by the Findings,
You should see the Picture of a Plane,
2 Tower Building and a Symbol
meaning Danger.. This has actually
been in existence even before the
Incident.. Microsoft should be able to
explain this.
Wingdings font is all about symbols (characters to symbols), it was developed by Microsoft in 1990 and since then it has been a part of every text editor by Microsoft. Its no magic or hoax, but an amazing coincidence.
The magic is valid, but the flight number is a lie, those are not the flight numbers of the one that hit Twin Towers. The flight numbers were United Airlines Flight 175 and American Airlines flight 11. These, if shortened, would be UA175 and AA11. Q33N is just an interesting coincidence in notepad.

Neeeeeeeext!

54 Likes

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by forkadict(m): 3:58pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maleeq: No biggie. Its a known tradition that programmers/developers add "Easter Eggs" to applications.

These are hidden features that don't necessarily add features to the application. But they are kinda cool. Google it out, do you know there are hidden car racing games in lower versions of excel??

There are several reserved keywords in Windows. The restriction isn't a mistake/magic that, as you claim, even Microsoft cant explain. Ofcourse they put it there to avoid conflict. The CON is a DOS reserved keyword that was brought forward into Windows. CON is used to specify the device file used to capture whatever was printed onscreen.

And oh yes, you can create the folder. You have to specify the UNC (Universal Naming Convention) path though. Try it:
Now, Open My Computer and browse through the path where you created CON folder... Surprising.. ?? Yeah.. you have created it successfully

Yeah!! You did it...
Check this link for other names you cant use: Restricted File Names On Windows/DOS

Another hoax. They put it there to create "Filler texts" in a document. Not just the numbers (200, 99), try any combination.
Typing =rand(X,Y) (with numbers for X and Y) results in X paragraphs of Y repetitions of the sentence.
For example, =rand(10,10) will produce ten paragraphs, each with ten repetitions. Microsoft has officially described this as a feature and not an Easter egg.

Wingdings font is all about symbols (characters to symbols), it was developed by Microsoft in 1990 and since then it has been a part of every text editor by Microsoft. Its no magic or hoax, but an amazing coincidence.
The magic is valid, but the flight number is a lie, those are not the flight numbers of the one that hit Twin Towers. The flight numbers were United Airlines Flight 175 and American Airlines flight 11. These, if shortened, would be UA175 and AA11. Q33N is just an interesting coincidence in notepad.

Neeeeeeeext!

BOBZ. I bow o!

But men, you be hacker?

12 Likes

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Kk4(m): 3:58pm On Jun 27, 2012
Choii.. I don't know if u r right or wrong but @maleeq u smart gan.. Nice one prof
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by ODB1: 4:00pm On Jun 27, 2012
As for flight Q33N IT'S A HOAX. Do you believe everything you read on the internet?The planes which crashed on 11 Sep. 2001 were flight number AA11 (tail number N334AA), flight number AA77 (tail number N644AA), flight number UA93 (tail number N591UA) and flight number UA175 (tail number N612UA).
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by okunboy: 4:06pm On Jun 27, 2012
@maleek! Thanks for this...... You just helped to put to death some mischief.

1 Like

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by youngdee168(m): 4:06pm On Jun 27, 2012
Interesting, @Maleeq i believe u, this points u gave are convincing.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by mrman2(m): 4:07pm On Jun 27, 2012
Hmmmn intresting. wink
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by ezme(m): 4:09pm On Jun 27, 2012
*thumbs up* Maleeq ..........end of thread
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by inspirenet: 4:09pm On Jun 27, 2012
K,k:
Choii.. I don't know if u r right or wrong but @maleeq u smart gan.. Nice one prof
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by valencia25(m): 4:10pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maleeq: No biggie. Its a known tradition that programmers/developers add "Easter Eggs" to applications.

Yeah!! You did it...

Neeeeeeeext!

Raising my Both Hands Up 4u here....

1 Like

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by HighBK: 4:11pm On Jun 27, 2012
@maleek nice one, but you should have allowee people to enjoy this for sometime first. @ OP don't believe everything you see on the internet, they are sometimes maligned to amaze and entertain you. Nice post though.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Afam4eva(m): 4:14pm On Jun 27, 2012
Hmmm, these are questions begging for answer from the microsoft team. It's crippy.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by executinal(m): 4:15pm On Jun 27, 2012

Yeah!! You did it...

Neeeeeeeext!
EXCELLENT RESPONDS HE SHOULD EQUALLY TRY M&V THEN IT WILL BE BOKOHARAM BOMB AND CHURCH SIGN.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by FXKing2012(m): 4:15pm On Jun 27, 2012
@Maleeq, u are very good. Nice one bro! I was wondering if u would like to work my company.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Tyche(m): 4:17pm On Jun 27, 2012
If not Maleeq, this thread ...

1 Like

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Muttex(m): 4:17pm On Jun 27, 2012
@Maleeq, you are very correct...in programming, we have so many reserved words. it is no big deal.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by HighBK: 4:17pm On Jun 27, 2012
some of Microsoft's early products included hidden Easter eggs. Microsoft formally stopped including Easter eggs in its programs as part of its Trustworthy Computing Initiative in 2002.

Office 97
Microsoft Excel contained a hidden flight simulator.
Microsoft Word contained a hidden pinball game
Source: wikipedia
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jun 27, 2012
One of those mysteries of the world that can never be explained.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by BizBooks(m): 4:30pm On Jun 27, 2012
We really need several Maleeqs to help debunk some of the junk people post here. Mukina & Co
are making it more difficult by posting materials on the front page without editorial
oversight.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jun 27, 2012
#Maleeq, u rock. Thnks 4 saving someone's arse. I luv all d analysis. I'll jst chk all ds out, brb...
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 27, 2012
OP has been bursted!
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 27, 2012
chipmunkey: One of those mysteries of the world that can never be explained.

chei grin another one has been brought into OP's net.
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by candylips(m): 4:41pm On Jun 27, 2012
wow
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by abdul4me(m): 4:42pm On Jun 27, 2012
from my experience of writing programs in C, C++, VB and etc, these are no news, unless the person posting this blog is not an ICT compliant.

thank GOD for people like Maleeq and the existence of web blog (where ideas and opinions are shared).

before this age, many people where used to be blindly drown in the rivers of ignorant pumped from shallow wells above the figures of processional band wagons. Am not causing the guy who posted this message, but letting us know, in the absence of internet and web blog; how much we would have continued to be arguing over real and deliberate requirement in programming to let end users enjoy software (eg MS office and windows)

Long Live Internet (and web blog)
Long Live Naira Land
Long Live Ojobojo1
Long Live Maleeq

1 Like

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by stepo707: 4:49pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maleeq is a bug wink
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Foxybone(m): 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2012
What will you guys say about the M&V... It shows what we are experiencing now in Nigeria.... It looks like the world has been preplaned abi na programmed before no.... shocked shocked shocked
Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by freecocoa(f): 4:53pm On Jun 27, 2012
Nairaland is the place to be for reals.

This rubbish has been circulating all over BB and other sites,you need to see the comments people made about it,some even said microsoft guys and Bill gates are illuminati members,that they knew about the crash and other things.

But few minutes here on NL,we(maleeq and I) cracked it.cheesy

Long live NL and its good members jawe.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by 2kass(m): 5:00pm On Jun 27, 2012

Yeah!! You did it...

Neeeeeeeext!
Even without knowing what you are saying, i concur grin

5 Likes

Re: 3 Things Microsoft Cannot Explain by Ejine(m): 5:02pm On Jun 27, 2012
Choi! Maleeq don nakked the OP for market square oooooooo! Chaaaai! shocked shocked shocked grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"I Am Not Cooking Your Balls" - Laptops Protest / What Do You Normally Use To Clean Your Laptop Screen ? / My Computer Is Infected With A Very Deadly Virus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.