Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State (16919 Views)

New Year Train Ride From Portharcourt To Enugu (Pics Inside) / Ethiopian Airlines Flight Schedule/prices To Enugu / Pictures Of Juju's Road Trip To Enugu... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by Tinyemeka(m): 9:04am On Jun 30, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Thanks for the pics and the effort you took in snapping them.

Maybe it's just me and the fact i'm something of a perfectionist, but i would advice the Governor to do a couple of things:

1) plant more trees by the road sides to give the city more of a lush green feel;

2) ban the pasting of posters willy-nilly as it defaces the city and itches my eyes just seeing them in pics angry;

3) have at least two well maintained and manicured parks where families can go to to 'catch their fun' (that phrase makes me laugh anytime i hear it- it's so Nigerian grin);

4) maintain all street and traffic lights, immediately fixing any that gets damaged (i noticed some street lights were missing some parts, and i didn't see the traffic lights that were installed a few years back, though i hope those are still working as well). Taking care of little things like these are a pointer to tell if the bigger things in a city are managed well.

I also hope there's an adequate public water scheme, and that the intracity bus service is still working and maintained well.

The key word is MAINTAINANCE.

The state govt does these things you listed. Believe me, the streets are swept everyday. As for the broken street lights; consequences of drunk, unruly drivers. There are Yellow cabs of Nissan Sunny make, IVM intra-city buses. Sullivan regularly carries out beautification projects in Enugu metropolis and road/street constructions in the sub-urban and rural areas. And he doesn't engage in all these unnecessary narcissistic adverts you find from most non-performing governors. The man is a silent, performing governor. And I'm not even an indigent of the state. LOL
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by Tinyemeka(m): 9:07am On Jun 30, 2012
igbo boy: Enugu looks clean, quiet, mellow and de-populated.

Umu Enugu, where are the ENugu populace? The place scarce die.....

Go to Abakpa or Achara layout. LOL
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by SpiritofOkija(m): 9:30am On Jun 30, 2012
Tinyemeka:

Go to Abakpa or Achara layout. LOL

The picture on my thread tagged trans ekulu is actually Achara layout
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by Whitehorse: 10:36am On Jun 30, 2012
honouruy: @ poster y did u not show d pics of places lik Obiagu, Gareki, holy ghost nd Abakpa

I did not get an oppurtunity to move around so much. It was a one week trip split between Enugu and Lagos. Maybe next time.
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by FACE(m): 11:49am On Jun 30, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Thanks for the pics and the effort you took in snapping them.

Maybe it's just me and the fact i'm something of a perfectionist, but i would advice the Governor to do a couple of things:

1) plant more trees by the road sides to give the city more of a lush green feel;

2) ban the pasting of posters willy-nilly as it defaces the city and itches my eyes just seeing them in pics angry;

3) have at least two well maintained and manicured parks where families can go to to 'catch their fun' (that phrase makes me laugh anytime i hear it- it's so Nigerian grin);

4) maintain all street and traffic lights, immediately fixing any that gets damaged (i noticed some street lights were missing some parts, and i didn't see the traffic lights that were installed a few years back, though i hope those are still working as well). Taking care of little things like these are a pointer to tell if the bigger things in a city are managed well.

I also hope there's an adequate public water scheme, and that the intracity bus service is still working and maintained well.

The key word is MAINTAINANCE.

Number 3 was the main idea behind open spaces in Owerri and Enugu. I know for sure that parts of Achara layout and several other areas in Enugu were originally designated as open spaces.

In Owerri, parts of Ikenegbu, Ama JK park, garden park and other areas were also planned to be open spaces with the most significant park being the LAVAM park at the other side of Otamiri, near the dam. The military governors turned around and built other things on those lands and sold the remainder to private people.

Although , I was happy about the development of polo park mall in Enugu; I was also disappointed that they chose polo park when they could have chosen any other location for the mall and modernized the park. Polo park was part and parcel of the original Enugu and we had loads of fun there as kids. I think we should go back to our open space planning in order to avoid cluttering.
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by babeface3: 12:15pm On Jun 30, 2012
This is a crude politics at the expense of human development. Why wont politicians choose beautification of capital cities in the commity of shanty pestilential squalours in the hinterland begging for some care (I am from that state). This is specifically targeted as it is catchy and plays very fast to the heart of the electorates whose votes are targeted. Beautifying a capital city is very cheap and endears to the non elitist and not so informed majority, a great asset in electioneering process in Nigeria. Invariably capital intensive projects like investing in education, creation of jobs, power generation etc are cleverly avoided. I have been in Europe for a while and come to understand that the cart is always placed before the horse in Nigeria and people expect things to work.
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by Whitehorse: 12:19pm On Jun 30, 2012
^^^
What is your point, pls clarify
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by PROUDIGBO(m): 6:10pm On Jun 30, 2012
FACE:

Number 3 was the main idea behind open spaces in Owerri and Enugu. I know for sure that parts of Achara layout and several other areas in Enugu were originally designated as open spaces.

In Owerri, parts of Ikenegbu, Ama JK park, garden park and other areas were also planned to be open spaces with the most significant park being the LAVAM park at the other side of Otamiri, near the dam. The military governors turned around and built other things on those lands and sold the remainder to private people.

Although , I was happy about the development of polo park mall in Enugu; I was also disappointed that they chose polo park when they could have chosen any other location for the mall and modernized the park. Polo park was part and parcel of the original Enugu and we had loads of fun there as kids. I think we should go back to our open space planning in order to avoid cluttering.

^^^I felt the same way too when i heard they were going to site the new mall at the old polo park. That place should have been left as a natural well maintained park. Its use over the decades had become ambiguous, and it wasn't so much a park -in the strict sense of the word- as it was a seedy place where all sorts congregate to drink, smoke and chase skirts in the name of relaxation. Maybe that was what the government noticed and felt constructing the new mall there would be a good idea.

The mall should have been sited in a place like new heaven or some other central location, while polo park is used for what it was originally intended for. Our problem in this country is that approvals for all sorts of businesses and constructions are given without proper regard to town planning laws; kinda like what they did to Ikoyi after the colonialists left in the 60's; by the 80's it wasn't strictly a residential area anymore. This is exactly what is happening presently to GRA and independence layout in Enugu.

From the pics shown it's clear Enugu is also in dire need of investments (real estate and other businesses), and this is the case mainly because everything has been taken to and focused at Lagos and Abuja. I've always maintained that Ndigbo have been cheated by the bastards that controlled things in Nigeria since after the civil war. They made it such that investing in Nigeria meant investing in Lagos owing to the monopoly of access (up till the early 90's) it had with the outside world; conducting business on an int'l level meant siting your headquarters/business in Lagos for ease of access to the int'l airport and seaport; Lagos was developed as the administrative/business capital of Nigeria (with the necessary funds needed for such) to the detriment of other regional capitals which were treated like any other backwater state capital in funds disbursemnet (ie, they were to manage with what comes into the states coffers in the general scheme of things). Meanwhile, we now have a Lagos and Abuja (built with our collective commonwealth) to which ALL Nigerians DO NOT [/b]have an equal stake in running its affairs. I wouldn't have minded if all regions had a city that received equal financial attention from the centre commensurate with that given to Lagos and Abuja. That's 'one naijeriah' for you- doesn't get any fairer than that does it wink?

See how Ndigbo have been fobbed off with a pathetic looking 'international' airport and river port [b](that are dead on arrival)
, and nobody seems to think there's a problem except me and a few others .

1 Like

Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by delpee(f): 10:24pm On Jun 30, 2012
Nice pictures, the governor try small. Our governors should do more than cosmetic facelifting IMO. How about other areas like education health and rural infrastructure especially light and water. Please see link below for instance.http://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=enugu%20general%20hospital&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CFQQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ngrguardiannews.com%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D90778%3Aenugu-where-a-people-perish-because-of-poor-medical-facilities%26catid%3D105%3Asaturday-magazine%26Itemid%3D566&ei=wmzvT43VJsHC0QWHpMSSDg&usg=AFQjCNGOBcygGz2UklyIp2eBuX_NoTQonw instance.
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by delpee(f): 10:28pm On Jun 30, 2012
No bad belle intended. IMO most of our governors concentrate on projects that are readily visible and bring in money faster while a lot of critical issues remain pending. Happy that Enugu roads are far better than what i saw on my last visit in 2008/9.
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by Nonybb: 9:57am On Jul 01, 2012
Enugu
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by NosaHenry(m): 11:26am On Jul 01, 2012
I am pleasantly surprise that Enugu is this beautiful.
Re: Easter 2012 Trip To Enugu State by mauchion: 10:34am On Apr 09, 2015
nice pics

(my state Enugu Coal city)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Your Cost Of Transportation Daily From Work To House / Work And Live In Canada / Working In Dubai - List Of Verified And Legitimate Recruitment Agencies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.