Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? (55297 Views)

Sweden To Become A Third World Country By 2030, According To UN / Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? / Is Nigeria A Developing Nation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Larufa(m): 1:44pm On Apr 04, 2006
I am often confused, annoyed and belittled when reading both local and foreign newspapers and my potentailly great country, Nigeria, is refered to a 3rd world country. I prefer been refer to as a Developing Country/Nation.

Come to think of it, what are criteria for nation classifications??

What do you think?
Is it not a case of calling us a lesser human being?
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by demmy(m): 5:01pm On Apr 04, 2006
3rd world countries were the non-aligned countries during the cold world era but it had come to mean the non-functioning countries characterised by dictatorship and poor economy so yes Nigeria is a developing third world country.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 04, 2006
What is a definition of a "third world country"?
What is the definition of a first world nation? What is the yardstick for measuring development? The US or the EU? Why are nations like Brazil and Mexico still second world nations despite their thriving economies?

We are not an underdeveloped country, we are simply an exploited nation! Exploited by those same "super powers" for their own greed and selfish gain. Their economies where built on the backs of poor africans and the resources they stole from us!
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Hotstepper(f): 5:05am On Apr 05, 2006
If you know about NEO-LIBERALISM, u will understand why we r refered to as THIRD WORLD or sumtimes as developing world, it worsened during BABANGIDA regime when STRUCTURAL ADJUSTMENT PROGRAM propelled by the IMF and the WB was introduced and implemented In Nigeria and other countries that are refered as THIRD WORLD. This developed nations took advantage of us and we privitaized things, cut social services, debt increased, devaluation of local currencies so we were bascially exploited as someone mentioned so people found their ways to this advanced nations and even their government supported it. example with the Phillipines and Sri Lanka etc
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Jakumo(m): 7:55am On Apr 05, 2006
Nigeria can only be classified as a third world country for the following reasons.

1.  Mains electricity supplies are erratic or non-existent in most parts of the country.

2.  There has never been provision for any form of social security, unemployment or retirement benefits to most Nigerian citizens.

3.  The streets are strewn with mountains of trash in most major Nigerian cities as municipal trash collection is effectively non-existent.

4.  It is possible to break the law and sometimes even get away with murder simply by bribing the Nigerian Police.

5.  The innocent often wind up in jail or get summarily shot for failure to bribe Nigerian policemen. 

6.  Armed robbers very commonly lay siege on residential neigborhoods FOR HOURS AT A TIME in many Nigerian cities, without police response.

7.  Federal and state highways in Nigeria are pock-marked with massive craters that constitute death traps to motorists.

8.  Nigerian state-run hospitals are under-funded, under-staffed, housed in run-down buildings and lacking both equipment and reliably safe pharmaceutical drugs.

9.  Dead bodies are a common sight on the streets in metropolitan areas as well as in plain view along major highways.

10.  Vehicle safety codes in Nigeria are non-existent, and vehicle smog emmission controls entirely unheard of in Nigeria.

11. In Lagos, Nigeria's commercial hub, there exist TODAY pedestrian over-head bridges in such disrepair as to have rotted clear through, leaving gaping holes through which unwary pedestrians do regularly fall 50 feet into traffic below.

12. The number of Nigerian metropolitan areas that are served by a centralized drinking water supply can be counted on the fingers of one hand. 

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who feels that ANY SINGLE ONE of the above twelve points does not on its own classify Nigeria as a third world nation, or who feels that any one of the above twelve points contains an exaggeration or lie.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by OlaAjia(m): 8:53am On Apr 05, 2006
Jakumo, Wetin dey do you sef? You det talk like say things never better for this country. 9ja is one of the few countries in the world that cost of living is affordable. I got to Kenya and I noticed that fuel Price is three times the amount it is in 9ja. People tell me that it's because we produce oil, but I don't buy that because Gabon also produces oil and things are not any better over there. For your information, I'm proud of the country because we've got an outstanding economic growth over aperiod of just 7 years. Believe you me, Rome was not biult in a day. So, same applies to 9ja. Things might not get better immediately, but signs show that they sure will. Besides all you said might have been true before now, but I don't see the fact in them at this time sha.
Jakumo:

Nigeria can only be classified as a third world country for the following reasons.

1.  Mains electricity supplies are erratic or non-existent in most parts of the country.

2.  There has never been provision for any form of social security, unemployment or retirement benefits to most Nigerian citizens.

3.  The streets are strewn with mountains of trash in most major Nigerian cities as municipal trash collection is effectively non-existent.

4.  It is possible to break the law and sometimes even get away with murder simply by bribing the Nigerian Police.

5.  The innocent often wind up in jail or get summarily shot for failure to bribe Nigerian policemen. 

6.  Armed robbers very commonly lay siege on residential neigborhoods FOR HOURS AT A TIME in many Nigerian cities, without police response.

7.  Federal and state highways in Nigeria are pock-marked with massive craters that constitute death traps to motorists.

8.  Nigerian state-run hospitals are under-funded, under-staffed, housed in run-down buildings and lacking both equipment and reliably safe pharmaceutical drugs.

9.  Dead bodies are a common sight on the streets in metropolitan areas as well as in plain view along major highways.

10.  Vehicle safety codes in Nigeria are non-existent, and vehicle smog emmission controls entirely unheard of in Nigeria.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who feels that ANY SINGLE ONE of the above ten points does not on its own classify Nigeria as a third world nation, or who feels that any one of the above ten points contains an exaggeration or lie.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Rottweiler(m): 10:27am On Apr 05, 2006
We feel great when we compare ourselves with countries like Gabon, Benin, Sudan. Ain't it funny?Why not Ghana just next door. Our country is like a rudderless ship on the high sea. Our leaders are visionless. In the next 10years, we don't even know what the state of NEPA (now PHCN). We like to deceive ourselves by saying we are developing. We are not! If someone out there has a contrary opinion please enlighten me.

The police is god
the local government thugs are lords
traffic warden is a terrorist
lecturers in schools are capones
our roads (apart from the ones that lead to Aso rock and other government houses) are death traps
in some primary schools, students still seat on block. some come with the chairs and tables everyday (some of you won't believe)
we beg to get kerosene from the petrol stations (even with our money)
Petrol is for the big men
Diesel, emmmm only for the big companies to run their generators
we beg the NEPA men anytime we have problems with our light. At times we don't have lights for months because the transformer is bad but we still get our bills for electricity not consumed

I can go on and on.
Billions have been pumped into NEPA and there's nothing to show for it
Same for the railway

My people, i dey cry for our nation.

We should be classified as UNDER-DEVELOPED NATION. period.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by lurvsite(f): 12:43pm On Apr 05, 2006
I totally agree with jakumo.I hate to say it, but we are a third world country, pretty sad, but thats just the way it is. we have been over exploited, not only by the so called world powers, but even by our own leaders themselves.with all our resources, both natural and human, we shouldnt still be in the state we are in, but its just so unfortunate.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by larger20(m): 1:28pm On Apr 05, 2006
Third world, there is no argument about that, simple
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by vanunu: 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2006
If we call Nigeria a developing country, what the do we call , India, Singapore, China, Ghana and South Africa. In fact what we are having in Nigeria is unsustainable growth without development.

Politically, we are nowhere, because the entire citizens are disenfranchised. They vote during elections, but results are compiled before the actual voting.

Economically, we are nowhere, no Nigerian company can compete in the international market. Every company makes use of electric generators, This indeed adds to the cost of their finished product or service.

The number of generators in the city of Lagos is more than the number of houses. whereas A country like South Africa makes use of 40,000 mega watts of electricity, Nigeria produces only mega watts3,600
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by otokx(m): 5:30pm On Apr 05, 2006
way to go rottweiler; we are even lucky to be in the group of third world countries. With all the opportunities available to us; its a shame.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Hotstepper(f): 6:07pm On Apr 05, 2006
most times we r refered to as 10th world tongue
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Scatter(m): 7:15pm On Apr 05, 2006
@ rottweiler word !! U have said it all. even 3rd world is elevating the country i would rather call it 10th world.Because our leaders and corrupt stealing politicians are f**king  up. lets stop pretending and face reality and not stick our heads in the sand like the proverbial  osterich bird because  u never know who will come and kick your a$$.Calling nigeria a 3rd world is not an insult rather its meant to encourage stealing corrupt  politicians to sit up and raise nigeria from its decaying state to a standard state. I live in germany and visit naija every xmas streets have turned into moats due to errosion, nepa (PHCN) does not supply regular electricity, no water supply, people are dying due to poor health facilities, armed robbers rule the nights, govt infrastructures are decaying due to neglect the list is endless and we want to call nigeria an advanced country? please lets stop decieving ourselves
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by zeb(m): 9:14pm On Apr 05, 2006
Many people  even in the government know very well that Nigeria can  be better than most Advance country on earth,   

But our Rulers in Nigeria have turn against its citizens.  By committing indirect mass torture with unsustainable growth without development for over decades.
We the citizens know very well where  our enemies are.  we know also were the people that is making life impossible for this country  are, 
BLACK MAN IN WHITE SKIN  Becomes a  weapon of total destruction,

Instead of uniting and fighting our common enemy which is the government ,
After you will agree with me.   power lies behind the barrel of a gun
We decided to create church every were to bombard heaven with prayer,

Only bombarding Jesus and God with prayer will not change noting,
Until we are ready  to die for our future generation then a change can happen quickly or else,

Nigeria is not a developing country or a 3rd world county. 
What really Nigeria Is.   is Chaos grin.  below 3rd world standard of living,
When I went home on march this year.  the number of children I saw selling on the street was  alarming. What caught my attention was when I saw a girl of  about  10 or 9 year old got  kill by a vehicle while hucking on the express way people where just looking no ambulance.

(MAKE  EVERYBODY  SIDON DE WAIT TO CHOP THE NATIONAL CAKE)

I  rest my case here and go in peace

Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by kimba(m): 3:31am On Apr 06, 2006
@onanugaola
theres no need to be confused, annoyed and belittled when you hear/read that Nigeria is a 3rd world country. The case with Nigeria is the case of someone who was placed on a bed to sleep, but willingly got up and slept on the cold floor.

@jakumo,
thanks for the enumeration. You hit 12 solid nails on their head!!!!!!!!!!!!
And a note about that your #9. I wonder why dead bodies lying helplessly on the road are now rampant in Lagos, mostly beggars/drug addicts who might have passed out during the night.

One was funny tho, I was going to Ikeja some about 3 Sundays ago, and twas around 1pm, and i think i just passed that Anthony overhead bridge, when I saw an ambulance parked on the main road, by the left side and behold there was a dead body on the floor. The boot was opened, and i guess they driver and another guy were repairing the tires, i mean the dead man was not even placed in a coffin, for Christ sake, yet they were carrying him inside an ambulance, i was like, yeparipa!! anyway, thats Nigeria for you o!!!

@Rottweiler
We should be classified as UNDER-DEVELOPED NATION. period
Abeg, you too harsh o. Lets just put it like this: At least we have developed to an extent, thats why you can see roads and bridges. But as of now, we have STOPPED-DEVELOPING, so we can call ourselves a STOPPED-DEVELOPING NATION!!!!! grin

If only the oyinbos have something they called 4th world nation, i believe they should have deputized Nigeria as the group leader.

@vanunu
If we call Nigeria a developing country, what the do we call , India, Singapore, China, Ghana and South Africa. In fact what we are having in Nigeria is unsustainable growth without development.

I believe you dont want to compare Nigeria with India, SIngapore and China. They have gone far. Even Ghana and SOuth Africa have left us behind. Forget Ghana sef, talk of Namibia. Na remote control we dey use open gate for Namibia, as far as '96. In Ghana, you'll find relative Peace and harmony. 70% of the prisoners there are Nigerians(armed robbers). Their education is far ahead of ours. The kind of bed wey some student dey sleep on, the person wey dey work for bank for Nija no fit sleep for dat kinda bed. What surprises me most is that majority of their houses dont have burglary bars/iron weldings that make our houses in Nija look like prisons.

The number of generators in the city of Lagos is more than the number of houses. whereas A country like South Africa makes use of 40,000 mega watts of electricity, Nigeria produces only mega watts3,600
This one na insult o, how can the number of generators be more than the number of houses? yeh. Its true sha, coz i myself, I have two, just in case one of them pafuke, With the level of noise that Nigerians have to suffer nowadays, the present generation will be going deaf at 50yrs of age.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by kimba(m): 4:05am On Apr 06, 2006
I completely agree with Zeb,

The problem of Nigeria is basically Greed, let me explain:
I say greed because the average Nigerian is greedy, The average Nigerian seeks to gain knowledge so as to become independent, be self-established to the point he'll take over his masters/tutors wealth/possession/ know how, and he wont have to take instructions from anyone. The idea of gaining knowlege for the purpose of using it to help others is not there. Ask any Nigerian child "what do you want to be in future"? he/she will tell you a profession that he/she can later rely upon. A doctor prefers to quickly gain experience and set up his own Medical facility. The same goes for dentists, etc. Nigerian lawyers prefer private practice.Nigerian engineers prefer consultancy. Everybody wants to start a Business. Even in the religious circle, every-pastor has a business doing. Everybody wants to establish so that "when I grow old, ill have something to fall back on". Nothing wrong with that mentality, but it usually causes a problem of greed later on, because with such a mindset, all one is looking for is Money, Money, money. And, Money is the root of all evil, emotion is lost, reasoning is trampled upon.

The thought of what i will eat, what i will do, how i will get money, has really destroyed the emotional and rational fabric of most people in Nigeria. The truth is the Money is not so hard to get. Greed leading to the love of money and wealth, has led to disunity among the people, this is why everyone wants a piece of the national cake. The truth is where is the national cake. And this is the reason why "the state you are from" now becomes a major factor is getting jobs in some places, because everyone wants to put a relative in a position of power, for future purposes so that the goody-goody will continue revolving round their table alone.By the time each person belongs to his/her own state, who will stand up and say he/she is a Nigerian? nobody. Thats what you call self-destruction!!! This compounds the reason why the south will not agree with the west, nor with the east etc,

the problem of Nigeria is not the government. Its the people. There can't be a government, without a people. Since the people are not united, are not ready to unite, the govt can do anything and get-away with it. Obasanjo can wake up tomorrow morning and increase the fuel price again and surely, nothing will come out of it. Everyone will just cushion the situation and try to find a way out for himself alone, and not for the people around him.

At the end of the day, we'll all say that God is in control. Which God? God is not in control of corruption and evil. He has given us the brain to make things work out for ourselves. If we decide  not to use that brain, theres nothing He can do.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by sage(m): 6:55am On Apr 06, 2006
@Jakumo

Uve said it all sir. Infact i am still looking 4 words to describe how u got the bulls eye on this one (and to think people compare naija to living in western countries ).
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Eastcoast(f): 11:29am On Apr 06, 2006
Nigeria is presently a 3rd world country and for that reason, we are still "developing" while 1st world countries are developed.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Reverend(m): 2:41pm On Apr 06, 2006
Nigeria was a developing Country until the 1st of October 1960.

When the British gave Nigeria it's independence everything started to go wrong and Nigeria again has become a backward, third World state and unfortunately is known as one of the most corrupt and criminal nations of the World.

I feel it was a mistake to seek independence from the UK. Nigeria could have been the leading African state if things had been different and under the guidance of the British would have become a forward looking modern state.

It is a real shame!
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Odeku(m): 2:52pm On Apr 06, 2006
Reverend you make me sick to my head to even consider the idea of colonization, and what did the white Britons teach us/ how to steal and drink palm wine, I'll rather we lead and rule ourselves than to be a peasant farmers and servants to white man. Nigeria will over come eventually
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Reverend(m): 3:23pm On Apr 06, 2006
Odeku

I was not suggesting that Nigeria should be re-colonized! I am just saying that Nigeria would have faired far better if it had kept
stronger ties to the UK. Not as a British territory, but maybe an independent protectorate.

At least then the oil wealth would had been shared among the citizens and there would not have been 9 military governments since 1960.

I also don't think it was the British that taught the Nigerians how to sit in internet cafes the whole day sending out 419 scam letters :-)

As for the palm wine, what does it taste like?
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Odeku(m): 4:18pm On Apr 06, 2006
last time i tasted palm wine, it taste like shyt. True Nigeria's are very creative, and the only reason there are more 419's now is because there is no hope for the average Nigerians at home, they believe In nefarious activities to survive. the only question is how come they can't hold the politicians who stole from the country at ransome?
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Eastcoast(f): 6:02pm On Apr 06, 2006
Reverend:

Nigeria was a developing Country until the 1st of October 1960.

When the British gave Nigeria it's independence everything started to go wrong and Nigeria again has become a backward, third World state and unfortunately is known as one of the most corrupt and criminal nations of the World.

I feel it was a mistake to seek independence from the UK. Nigeria could have been the leading African state if things had been different and under the guidance of the British would have become a forward looking modern state.

It is a real shame!
the british did it all intentionally according to my history teacher. Many african countries were advancing while under their rule, and they united nIgeria pretty well. but they left in the middle of crisis leaving all the different tribes to fend for themselves and that according to my teacher is the genesis of africa's problems. undecided
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by OldGlory1(m): 2:08am On Apr 07, 2006
If your country has more than 40% Unemployment, No Healthcare and more than 50% of the population would rather live somewhere else, then i would say that Nigeria is an Underdeveloped Third World Country. There is potential, but no progress. As long as we need aid and ask and beg for foreign aid, i think they will call us whatever they want to. Shameful but true.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by toshmann(m): 11:54am On Apr 07, 2006
when you consider countries like india, brazil, indonesia etc being called 3rd world countries, one begins to wonder if there is a 4th world country. because the situation in nigeria is so funny, imagine hosting a world cup and the light goes out in the middle of a match.
common election we can't hold, see census. ha! we may be 5th world sef
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Eastcoast(f): 12:57pm On Apr 07, 2006
India is really doing good. the rate of progress especially in the computer industry is so incredible.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Reverend(m): 1:15pm On Apr 07, 2006
Yes, but there are only 750 million people living in India :-)
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by toshmann(m): 2:15pm On Apr 07, 2006
sorry reverend, india has over 1 billion people.very close to 1.5billion people,

and by the way, why do you call 750 million "only"

wink
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Reverend(m): 3:58pm On Apr 07, 2006
Toshmann!

It was a joke tongue

We are both wrong about the population of India. Here are the official figures:-

Population 1,027,015,247

Males 531,277,078
Females 495,738,169

Did you know that 25% of Indians are under 15 years old!

250 million spotty kids shocked
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by my2cents(m): 6:06pm On Apr 07, 2006
dis "3rd world" crap done dey tire me sef. Who be "first world" or "second world"? D terminology was cooked up during the cold war. Either way, I no dey subscribe to the subtle subjection to inferiority. I prefer to see nations as Developed and Developing. Given my definition, no country is developed, not even the US. If so, there would be no need for further research, for example, on a daily basis.

, and that's my 2 cents
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by Larufa(m): 7:27pm On Apr 07, 2006
my2cents:

this "3rd world" crap done dey tire me sef. Who be "first world" or "second world"? D terminology was cooked up during the cold war. Either way, I no dey subscribe to the subtle subjection to inferiority. I prefer to see nations as Developed and Developing. Given my definition, no country is developed, not even the US. If so, there would be no need for further research, for example, on a daily basis.

, and that's my 2 cents

I fully agreed with you. Why call some 1st, 2nd and call us 3rd.
Where was the criteria used agreed upon. What are the criteria.
It either a developed or developing country.
Infact every country keep developing no matter their level of development and advancement.
Re: Is Nigeria A Developing Or A 3rd World Country? by toshmann(m): 7:36pm On Apr 07, 2006
@2 cents

then we may re classify the nations into seriously developing more(usa et g8 nations), developing(india et al) not developing(many sub saharan african nations), refused to develop nations, and undevelopable nations(nigeria)

@reverend.
sorry o. any time i discuss nigeria i'm so upset that i don't recognize jokes. that was a good one sha.

and thanx for the data.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hilarious Cartoon About Buhari And The Fuel Scarcity / Femi Fani-Kayode: "Buhari Is Looking Like Gollum, Behaving Like A Goblin" / Nnamdi Kanu To Attend Parents Burial February 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.