Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,422 members, 7,800,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? (17133 Views)

Between HP And Apple Laptops, Which Is Best? / Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? / My Hp Laptop Makes Me Sick.are Apple Laptops Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by threnody: 11:02am On Jun 30, 2012
POVERTY STRICKEN AREA
Resident evil: 300k to 400k...this money will get me å plot of land in ikorodu and other places in lag!
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Ozegbe(m): 12:19pm On Jun 30, 2012
Idi-Amin:
I can understand the arguemant here. Of course they are expensive and over-priced, I agree.
But if you can afford it, then don't go for anything else
I have had 3 generations of macbooks, currently using the Macbook Pro 15 inch. I do a lot of video & audio editing, the software runs smoothly and it's as easy as 1,2,3. For the 6 years I have been using apple,never bought an anti-virus software or had any problems with viruses.
I use DELL laptop at work everyday and Macbook Pro at home, and the experience is simply incomparable.
If you cant afford it, then get your HP or Toshiba, you can probably do the same things on there too. If you have the coins, then go for Apple, it's in a different class.
so how much did you get the macbook pro 15inch?
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by gidig(m): 12:28pm On Jun 30, 2012
Recently, I was on the verge of acquiring one of those laptops for design work. I was really put off by the ridiculous price they come with in comparison with laptops with the same specs in the market. Everyone in my industry was divided the way people in this forum are right now. The Mac Users said it was the best thing that has happened to them while the PC buffs disagreed. A senior colleague went to the market to get a Mac for about 300k and I waited for his first response to the usage. First, he had install a Windows OS for usage at a very high and additional cost. So, I fiddled around with it a bit and I was impressed with the 'look' of it. I just didn't see any reason why I should pay an extra 100k for it. The two components that I look out for are the processor speed and the Nvidia Geforce Graphic Card (which are made for all computers by independent Apple). For me, the argument of performance cant be credible if its Intel and Nvidia that speed up things, except that the ios is of course a better OS than windows. Eventually, I settled for a Dell XPS and I was able to save a lot of money while still getting the kind of performance I want from my laptop. Ultimately, I may still go for Alienware, with the kind of spec that those machines come with.

Apple products are great brands and I think they are tad overpriced. From a branding perspective, they have wonderfully connected with our desire to estimate our sense of value by how much or how exclusive a product is. My clients don't care what I do their jobs with as long as i meet their expectations. So, whether its Mac or a PC, its whats between your heads that will add value to what you do- not necessarily what you type with!
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by IdiAmin2(m): 12:39pm On Jun 30, 2012
Ozegbe:
so how much did you get the macbook pro 15inch?

I paid £1399 for it then, Dec 2010 and it still runs like new, no hang ups whatsoever.
The new retina display ones are out now with ethe quad-core Intel Core i7 processors, but I dont think it's worth it to upgrade just for retina display. I had a look at one of them on display in the Apple store, the screen really looks amazing and super sharp, but not worth double dipping for really
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Repubocrat(m): 12:43pm On Jun 30, 2012
They are quite good at handling viruses.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Mafun: 12:54pm On Jun 30, 2012
::Andrew:::
why are apples expensive more than mango and other fruits? grin grin grin grin

yes o! Its simply because they r importd fruits. You kn get mango & other local fruits behind ur house.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by olaolaking: 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2012
I must be sincere that apple products are always over-priced. Not only laptops but all their products.

But there is this usual saying, "once you go mac you will never want to look back" In most countries where they consider performance such as the USA. Apple is the best product they go for. Lynda.com guys(workers) use apple laptop all trough and they have reason for that. When it comes to performance, apple have an edge over others.

I use Macbook and I want to say it that their operating system "Mac Ox is far better.
Go to the internet and search for the comparation between all the available os and you will see that Windows is not one of the leading.

You can only say much if you have use both windows and Mac, apple and other products.

All the same, apple are over-priced but apart from that they are almost the best.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Ozegbe(m): 5:03pm On Jun 30, 2012
Idi-Amin:

I paid £1399 for it then, Dec 2010 and it still runs like new, no hang ups whatsoever.
The new retina display ones are out now with ethe quad-core Intel Core i7 processors, but I dont think it's worth it to upgrade just for retina display. I had a look at one of them on display in the Apple store, the screen really looks amazing and super sharp, but not worth double dipping for really
Bro do you mind giving me the basic specs of that mac that cost almost 400k.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Vergil: 5:25pm On Jun 30, 2012
Ola one:

Costs more than this (if bought in the UK, for example). But, I have to agree, it is NOT worth it.

Not if you buying mac pro for £990
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by fitinwell: 5:35pm On Jun 30, 2012
well not just apple mac laptops check out sony vaio f,l,series... don t no wat there market his turning into...
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Vergil: 5:59pm On Jun 30, 2012
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:29pm On Jun 30, 2012
as usual, those who claim to know r actually quite ignorant and keep making outrageous claims and unfounded assertions
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by hispy99(m): 7:40pm On Jun 30, 2012
ekt_bear:

Any HP that costs the same as a Mac will absolutely [b]murder the Mac in terms of specs.
[/b]
All I know is, Apple is a wonderful STOCK to own (and I say this as an Apple shareholder).

But for the same reason they are wonderful for investors, they are not a company a budget-conscious person should be looking to buy major hardware from.

Is it all about specs? Yes, any HP that costs the same as a MAC will absolutely murder a Mac in terms of specs, but what about reliability? I have used an HP(approx $1,600), DELL (company provided) and Toshiba (approx $1,600). I had actually sworn never to buy an HP after seeing the HP of a friend crash after about a month of use in 2002! However, the tech person at my place of work convinced me to buy one in 2006 as HP had improved. What happened? My HP fell apart after 3 months; the letters on the key board first started falling off, next it was the speakers that went out, then the screen began to separate from the main body (my wife bought a similar HP and the same thing happened to her own, apart from the letters falling off her keyboard). Then after about 18 months, the HP crashed (My wife's crashed after 2 years).

My Toshiba held up better than the HP; after about 6 months I noticed a green line that split my screen into 2. I got it fixed and then it was the battery. I changed it and then after 2 years, it began showing symptoms it was going to crash, which it did after another 3 months.

My DELL? Don't even get me started, I used it for 3 months and parked it under my office table. I haven't touched it since then.

I finally convinced myself to buy a a MacPro ($2,300) almost 3 years ago and guess what? I have not had ONE single problem. Not One. My wife got hers 2 years ago and guess what again? Not ONE single issue (apart from her machine being slow at some point, which was due to the fact that she was not updating her OS patches. Once we updated her Mac's OS, it worked just fine).

Needless to say, I am never going back to a HP or Toshiba. I would rather pay $2300 and use my laptop without issues for 3-4 years, than buy a HP for $1600 and change it every 18 months. The apple OS is also a lot stable than Windows. Does my Mac freeze sometimes? YES, but very infrequently. I can't remember the last time I had to reboot my Mac because it was not responding. I can't say that for any windows machine.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Xionez(m): 7:43pm On Jun 30, 2012
Been SMH as I read through the pages.
And who the hell said Apple is strong?. Ask ifixit.com what happened to their devices when they tried to do a professional tear down.
Personally, I would rather get a Dv6t or an Alienware full specs for that kind of cash.

But all in all, it boils down to differences in choices
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by dave247(m): 7:55pm On Jun 30, 2012
Apple Laptop(s) are the best or the in the World.... it compatable with many softwares and modern stuffs like for cctv, private configurations and networks service. i have one, but bought it when i went 2 Australia..... I also asked the same questions about that too. Apple is far more better than HP....Dell is better than HP too, but for noise HP dey Blah blah blah....
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by IdiAmin2(m): 8:02pm On Jun 30, 2012
Ozegbe:
Bro do you mind giving me the basic specs of that mac that cost almost 400k.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP582
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by ektbear: 8:55pm On Jun 30, 2012
lavita2: I've been using the Mac for more than a month now. I must confess, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. grin. Worth every penny I paid. RIP PC cool

The hilarious thing to me is that they use PC parts.

Intel processor.

Standard PC memory.

Etc.

So you are just paying extra money for the same hardware the guy next to you who bought a HP has grin

It isn't like Apple makes their own processors or anything these days..
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Ozegbe(m): 10:37pm On Jun 30, 2012
ekt_bear:

The hilarious thing to me is that they use PC parts.

Intel processor.

Standard PC memory.

Etc.

So you are just paying extra money for the same hardware the guy next to you who bought a HP has grin

It isn't like Apple makes their own processors or anything these days..
abi they could have just made every piece of hardware themself, at least to justify the price.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by nethacker(m): 5:42am On Jul 01, 2012
Nothing like my Apple. I am a computer guy with experience using windows PC - HP,Dell,Toshiba - my mac experience cant be compared to any windows machine. If i need to use a windows pc, i will run a VM on my MacBook Pro. Overall, I love my investment on MacBook Pro.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by gidig(m): 1:53pm On Jul 01, 2012
I always laugh when people talk about Mac as if its one of the transformers. My friends 250k Mac that I referred to above is up for sale if you are interested. He has changed the power pack twice as a result of a power surge that my Dell XPS managed to survive. Mac is good piece of machine, no doubt as Apple set the standards for other products in the market but much of its rep is now contrived. It runs faster than any other laptop.Really? The basic components that 'speed' up a laptop are not even made by Apple or any PC brand for that matter. Apple does make their laptop from stronger materials, no doubt. A trend the XPS series from Dell is trying hard to copy. From my experience, a lot of people are happy with their Mac and its reputation- how factual they are is another matter. A very close Girlfriend has been a Mac user for about fours years now and the thought of any other laptop is almost an insult to her.The funny thing is that all she does one the poor 300k laptop is type letters and use excel files. yet, she too says its the greatest thing since slice bread.

My point? Mac does have some excellent features but much of the reputation it has is in the head of the users, cleverly placed there by Apple and the extra price they have charged for it! If I am paying this ridiculous price for a laptop, it has to be the best there is. My friend paid 250k for a Mac with a slightly lower Spec than my DEll XPZ I got for 170k and looking to sell it. If anyone is interested, will let you how to buy it off him.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by captalex(m): 6:07pm On Jul 01, 2012
damilola15: Apart from functionality, they're sleek and easy on the eye.
I saved-up some time ago to buy a brand new 160GB ipod classic. I felt so reluctant to let go the money that I eventually opted for a higher capacity memory card.
How much did you gets yours for? And where.I intend to get one soon.thanks.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by captalex(m): 6:15pm On Jul 01, 2012
monkeyleg: Good to see people are catching on the over pricing. Apple used to justify this when they own processors and specific hardware. That is no longer the case, there are other very good computers out there for half the price. If you are not doing media related work, then really the cost cannot be justified
You said it all there to be honest.you cannot seriously tell me that you can play games at decent frame rates on the ALMIGHTY MAC. So you guys should stop being illogical fanboys and making it seem like if you haven't used a Mac you haven't used a decent computer yet. When they review the prices based on the hardware and capability they provide then ,I might decide to get one.
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by moonraker(m): 6:00am On Jul 02, 2012
Some peeps on this thread making a hell of noise about

the MAC being the best shit out there since the discovery

of atlantis, havent even use a mac before. talk less of

eating 3 square meals a day..

Heres the deal, Can anyone on this thread justify the high price tag

on the mac??

Ok let me re phrase my question

What is inbuilt into the mac that makes it so expensive??

the build?? OS or the components??

as it had been said on this thread

the components in the mac are parts that can be gotten from third parties.

I own a macbook pro 2011 version Speced out!!! Its a nice computer, no doubt

but i saw an hp envy 17 recently and i was WTF
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Fiveseventy: 5:53pm On Aug 25, 2012
This answers the question. I think! From La Web

Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by pleep(m): 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2012
I bought a Macbook pro for college because literally everyone has one over here... when i got home and tried to do my work i realized i had just payed $1,800 for a computer that doesn't even have word.

First thing i did with my mac was go on Sony.com and custom make a windows computer with 1 terabyte of memory, 12gb of ram, an invidia G-force graphics card, a lithium polymer battery and 3 years of virus protection... all for $1,700. I returned the [i]fu[/i]cking macbook the next day.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by OOG(m): 8:43am On Aug 27, 2012
moonraker: Some peeps on this thread making a hell of noise about

the MAC being the best shit out there since the discovery

of atlantis, havent even use a mac before. talk less of

eating 3 square meals a day..

Heres the deal, Can anyone on this thread justify the high price tag

on the mac??

Ok let me re phrase my question

What is inbuilt into the mac that makes it so expensive??

the build?? OS or the components??

as it had been said on this thread

the components in the mac are parts that can be gotten from third parties.

I own a macbook pro 2011 version Speced out!!! Its a nice computer, no doubt

but i saw an hp envy 17 recently and i was WTF

How much does the HP Envy 17 Cost?
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:14pm On Aug 28, 2012
pleep: I bought a Macbook pro for college because literally everyone has one over here... when i got home and tried to do my work i realized i had just payed $1,800 for a computer that doesn't even have word.

First thing i did with my mac was go on Sony.com and custom make a windows computer with 1 terabyte of memory, 12gb of ram, an invidia G-force graphics card, a lithium polymer battery and 3 years of virus protection... all for $1,700. I returned the [i]fu[/i]cking macbook the next day.

lmao
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by moonraker(m): 3:51am On Aug 29, 2012
OOG:

How much does the HP Envy 17 Cost?

Didnt buy it in Nigeria but i am gonna give you

as estimate!!! 285,000
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by OOG(m): 10:06am On Aug 29, 2012
moonraker:

Didnt buy it in Nigeria but i am gonna give you

as estimate!!! 285,000

Interesting... I got my core i5 macbook pro for N172,000 mid last year. Immediately upgraded to 8gb ram and hybrid 500Gb hdd with another N30,000 which brings it to a total of N202,000 and yet it's still way cheaper than the Envy 17 you mentioned.
Is this thread still about macbooks being so expensive? The HP Envy 17 I got for a client recently cost twice the amount I spent on my macbook pro and yet the guy is stuck with Windows OS whereas I dualboot Windows and Mac OS on my macbook pro! So who do you think got a better bargain?
The plain truth is that I don't believe macs are expensive; you really get what you pay for. I spend virtually 70% of my time on my laptop and I assure you the Mac OS gives you a far better and stable user experience. I still have qualms with Apple in some areas but largely, they've done a great work.
At the end of the day PCs will sell and Macs will sell no matter what our varied opinions may be but let's not try and cheapen and discredit the good work Apple has done in giving us an alternative to PCs. Recently, macbook sales have been on the rise because most people are just plain tired of their PCs.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by moonraker(m): 1:00pm On Aug 29, 2012
OOG:

Interesting... I got my core i5 macbook pro for N172,000 mid last year. Immediately upgraded to 8gb ram and hybrid 500Gb hdd with another N30,000 which brings it to a total of N202,000 and yet it's still way cheaper than the Envy 17 you mentioned.
Is this thread still about macbooks being so expensive? The HP Envy 17 I got for a client recently cost twice the amount I spent on my macbook pro and yet the guy is stuck with Windows OS whereas I dualboot Windows and Mac OS on my macbook pro! So who do you think got a better bargain?
The plain truth is that I don't believe macs are expensive; you really get what you pay for. I spend virtually 70% of my time on my laptop and I assure you the Mac OS gives you a far better and stable user experience. I still have qualms with Apple in some areas but largely, they've done a great work.
At the end of the day PCs will sell and Macs will sell no matter what our varied opinions may be but let's not try and cheapen and discredit the good work Apple has done in giving us an alternative to PCs. Recently, macbook sales have been on the rise because most people are just plain tired of their PCs.

Haahhahaha My hp envy 17 comes with 2 SSD drive. Would you like to take a wild guess how much one ssd drive cost??

or is it the bluray player or ram running at 1600mhz? Pls mate, dont embarass yourself here. The issues here is

why are macs expensive yet you get less bang for buck. this is the issue here.. Oh by the way, ever heard of

hackintosh??
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by Xionez(m): 7:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
hispy99:

Is it all about specs? Yes, any HP that costs the same as a MAC will absolutely murder a Mac in terms of specs, but what about reliability? I have used an HP(approx $1,600), DELL (company provided) and Toshiba (approx $1,600). I had actually sworn never to buy an HP after seeing the HP of a friend crash after about a month of use in 2002! However, the tech person at my place of work convinced me to buy one in 2006 as HP had improved. What happened? My HP fell apart after 3 months; the letters on the key board first started falling off, next it was the speakers that went out, then the screen began to separate from the main body (my wife bought a similar HP and the same thing happened to her own, apart from the letters falling off her keyboard). Then after about 18 months, the HP crashed (My wife's crashed after 2 years).

My Toshiba held up better than the HP; after about 6 months I noticed a green line that split my screen into 2. I got it fixed and then it was the battery. I changed it and then after 2 years, it began showing symptoms it was going to crash, which it did after another 3 months.

My DELL? Don't even get me started, I used it for 3 months and parked it under my office table. I haven't touched it since then.

I finally convinced myself to buy a a MacPro ($2,300) almost 3 years ago and guess what? I have not had ONE single problem. Not One. My wife got hers 2 years ago and guess what again? Not ONE single issue (apart from her machine being slow at some point, which was due to the fact that she was not updating her OS patches. Once we updated her Mac's OS, it worked just fine).

Needless to say, I am never going back to a HP or Toshiba. I would rather pay $2300 and use my laptop without issues for 3-4 years, than buy a HP for $1600 and change it every 18 months.

Funny, i wouldn't be off the mark if I said you take special care not to mal handle your precious Macbook the same way you would for your previous Windows product. I mean, who wouldn't?
. grin

Oh look, a blue cushion to place by Macbook on.
Wait. . .WtF. . .$500 for that. . .well I guess you Apple guyz are right, I need it. . .here you go. . .fits perfectly too. tongue

Another funny thing is that people hate doing Windows Update but are quick to do an Apple Update. So who is fooling who?
Re: Why Are Apple Laptops So Freaking Expensive? Really? by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:38am On Aug 30, 2012
hispy99:

Needless to say, I am never going back to a HP or Toshiba. I would rather pay $2300 and use my laptop without issues for 3-4 years, than buy a HP for $1600 and change it every 18 months. The apple OS is also a lot stable than Windows. Does my Mac freeze sometimes? YES, but very infrequently. I can't remember the last time I had to reboot my Mac because it was not responding. I can't say that for any windows machine.

NO, it is not true that the laptops you bought were of such a poor quality.

its that you are a very very rough person who habitually misuses his gadgets
you have a very low maintenance ability

ironically you absolutely respect the MAC you bought because you practically worship the price you got it, and cant be arsed to do same for a pc that costs much much less!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Buy Scrap Laptops / How To Share Internet On My Laptop Through WIFI / Ten Most Common Laptop Problems And Their Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.