Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,125 members, 7,807,407 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

How To Make Your Child Succeed At School - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Make Your Child Succeed At School (1450 Views)

What It Is Like Coming From A Poor Background, And The Way To Succeed In Life. / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by DeGenius3(m): 3:02am On Jul 01, 2012
What Are The Possible Ways To Make Your Child Succeed At School?
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by horny4u(f): 9:00am On Jul 01, 2012
De-Genius:
What Are The Possible Ways To Make Your Child Succeed At School?

Nutrition -
Good: beans, Greener the better,fruits, salads, Amala, Efo riro etc
Bad: coke, indomie, bread, milk, sugar etc
Sunlight
Fresh air
Siesta
Lots of Love
Excursion to educational places- Museum etc
Educational toys
Read to your child every night (1-3 years old )
If your child can read buy books for your child- Enid Blyton etc
Be aware of your child's inate intelligence and speak to him/her that way
Spoil your TV- Cartoon network is rubbish
No PSP only educational toys
Spend time with you child -challenge their minds- play with them- answer even silly questions with clarity and patience
Do your child's homework with him/her
Be your child's lesson teacher.
Be your child's best friend
Last but not least- PRAY WITH YOUR CHILD- SO HE KNOWS WHERE TO RUN TO WHEN HE NEEDS HELP-It will help him to be independent

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by omosexy1: 7:03pm On Jul 01, 2012
horny4u:

Nutrition -
Sunlight
Fresh air
Siesta
Lots of Love
Educational toys

nice
Spend time with you child -challenge their minds- play with them- answer even silly questions with clarity and patience
Last but not least- PRAY WITH YOUR CHILD- SO HE KNOWS WHERE TO RUN TO WHEN HE NEEDS HELP-It will help him to be independent

nice
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jul 01, 2012
i am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is NO WAY you can make your child smart if he aint. you can try all the tricks in the world, but if that child doesnt have it in him then you are shiit out of luck.
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 02, 2012
I think its important to note that helping your child live up to the best of their potential and have a positive experience IS succeeding for them. Being supportive and knowing your child goes a long way. Dont forget to let you kids have the freedom to just be kids too. Some good points horny4u!
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by DeGenius3(m): 2:38pm On Jul 02, 2012
horny4u:

Nutrition -
Sunlight
Fresh air
Siesta
Lots of Love
Educational toys

sounds really Funny. but some helpful advice there.
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by DeGenius3(m): 2:41pm On Jul 02, 2012
MRbrownJAY: i am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is NO WAY you can make your child smart if he aint. you can try all the tricks in the world, but if that child doesnt have it in him then you are shiit out of luck.

i do agree with u at some extent. but the thing is i have seen so many "children who doesn't have it in them" become REAL smart.
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by DeGenius3(m): 2:44pm On Jul 02, 2012
talina: I think its important to note that helping your child live up to the best of their potential and have a positive experience IS succeeding for them. Being supportive and knowing your child goes a long way. Dont forget to let you kids have the freedom to just be kids too. Some good points horny4u!

That is 100% true. Your Child's success is also your success.
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 02, 2012
MRbrownJAY: i am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is NO WAY you can make your child smart if he aint. you can try all the tricks in the world, but if that child doesnt have it in him then you are shiit out of luck.

Absolutely not true. The brain is very elastic and can be trained to do a lot more than we think as long as you start from an early age. I went from being a complete dullard at math to completing my SSCE math sylabus in 4 yrs instead of the regular 6, scoring an A1 in WAEC math before i even completed SS2. Thank God my father did not subscribe to your idea.

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by Akpunwa(f): 6:22pm On Jul 02, 2012
Horny4u some good points u have there. However I strongly disagree with grouping milk in d bad category. What? Check again. Milk is nutritionally complete and should be given to children, esp under fives, as far as you can afford them. Otherwise, diversify a child's meal (balanced diet) so that he/she obtains nutrients needed for healthy growth.
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by horny4u(f): 10:46pm On Jul 02, 2012
De-Genius:

i do agree with u at some extent. but the thing is i have seen so many "children who doesn't have it in them" become REAL smart.

No child that is created by God is dull....every child is intelligent.

I am dyslexic and so sometimes have spelling problems, cannot discern left from right , much more ( it may show in my comprehension sef) ....but my parents buckled down with me , saw the greatness and pulled it out and you will hardly know as I own 4 businesses, building a career, professional courses, passed waec at one sitting, 2.1 from Uni etc...
A friend who is also dyslexic after hearing my story decided to go to UNI today she is a practising Nurse and studying for her masters.
Richard braxton and Duncan bannatyne to name a few business men are dyslexic....amongst other learning disabilities...

No child is dull....just lazy parents... tongue

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by horny4u(f): 10:48pm On Jul 02, 2012
Akpunwa: Horny4u some good points u have there. However I strongly disagree with grouping milk in d bad category. What? Check again. Milk is nutritionally complete and should be given to children, esp under fives, as far as you can afford them. Otherwise, diversify a child's meal (balanced diet) so that he/she obtains nutrients needed for healthy growth.

I prefer greens as a source of Nutrition for a human child...Mothers milk is very very good but Cow's milk in my books is a NO NO...my opinion for now as I am too lazy to pull out the facts but do your research.
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 02, 2012
horny4u:

No child that is created by God is dull....every child is intelligent.

I am dyslexic and so sometimes have spelling problems, cannot discern left from right , much more ( it may show in my comprehension sef) ....but my parents buckled down with me , saw the greatness and pulled it out and you will hardly know as I own 4 businesses, building a career, professional courses, passed waec at one sitting, 2.1 from Uni etc...
A friend who is also dyslexic after hearing my story decided to go to UNI today she is a practising Nurse and studying for her masters.
Richard braxton and Duncan bannatyne to name a few business men are dyslexic....amongst other learning disabilities...

No child is dull....just lazy parents... tongue

This is so nice! You were lucky to have the parents you did. smiley

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by Akpunwa(f): 9:04am On Jul 03, 2012
Milk, human or animal, is the most complete of all foods as it contains a fine blend of all the nutrients necessary for growth and devt of toddlers.
E.g. Animal proteins such as milk, eggs, meat, fish etc contain all the essential amino acids in adequate amounts as against veggie sources which u have to diversify to supplement one another (if u r a vegetarian)
The nutritive value of cow's milk is slightly higher in fat, calcium, minerals, energy and protein(nearly 3X more) when compared with human milk. That is not to say it is suitable for infant feeding but once a baby turns one, whole cow's milk is a great source of nutrients.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by obasijoy(f): 3:03pm On Jul 03, 2012
@op train up a child in the way he/she should go and when he is old he/she can't depart from it. Every child is smart it depends on how you teach them. I used my son's care giver to know. He is just 10yrs, I brought him from village. When this boy came, he doesn't know how to speak come or go. He doesn't know ABC. I have to put him in the same school with my son and I don't speak igbo to him. I speak only english to him and my son and make sure he talks to me in english any how I must correct him and I teach him ABC always and flog him most times so that he knows that I am serious. Also told him if he comes first, I will buy bicycle for him. Now this boy speaks well and he reads and writes well too. How you train your child, determines how smart he will be. Secondly, when we were small in my house, my dad always give 5000 to one with 1st position, 3000 to 2nd position and 1000 to 3rd position. You find out every term each person must come first at least 2nd in his or class. That format my dad used really helped us and it made us to read/study well both in sec/uni. It also made me to make 2:1 in university even my sister. We parents have to have time for our children and access their work always. How you make your bed, so shall you lay on it.
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 03, 2012
davidylan:

Absolutely not true. The brain is very elastic and can be trained to do a lot more than we think as long as you start from an early age. I went from being a complete dullard at math to completing my SSCE math sylabus in 4 yrs instead of the regular 6, scoring an A1 in WAEC math before i even completed SS2. Thank God my father did not subscribe to your idea.

bro, you had it in you and just didnt have the tool to get it out....that is completely different as we all know that some people are just NOT SMART........and to these ones, there is nothing you can do for them. also, many may be smart but are not INTERESTED/MOTIVATED to learn. anyone saying that we are all born smart, is a damn liar........yes a child can "improve" with whatever AIDS, but to become SMART is a completely different ball game.

but hey, if you believe that all men are born smart, and they just need to get the right "tool", then we have a long discussion on our hands.
Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by horny4u(f): 10:34pm On Jul 03, 2012
obasijoy: @op train up a child in the way he/she should go and when he is old he/she can't depart from it. Every child is smart it depends on how you teach them. I used my son's care giver to know. He is just 10yrs, I brought him from village. When this boy came, he doesn't know how to speak come or go. He doesn't know ABC. I have to put him in the same school with my son and I don't speak igbo to him. I speak only english to him and my son and make sure he talks to me in english any how I must correct him and I teach him ABC always and flog him most times so that he knows that I am serious. Also told him if he comes first, I will buy bicycle for him. Now this boy speaks well and he reads and writes well too. How you train your child, determines how smart he will be. Secondly, when we were small in my house, my dad always give 5000 to one with 1st position, 3000 to 2nd position and 1000 to 3rd position. You find out every term each person must come first at least 2nd in his or class. That format my dad used really helped us and it made us to read/study well both in sec/uni. It also made me to make 2:1 in university even my sister. We parents have to have time for our children and access their work always. How you make your bed, so shall you lay on it.

Madam you have done well! except for the beating part....a rare smack or ear twisting is ok and should be very rare too. Fear of cane erodes kids of creativity....I have seen the effects first hand and when the beating is too much and gets to a stage of is not only cane then what will you do.

Spare the rod and spoil the child is only for kids who are on the path of being truly spoilt not those who are having to learn something new.

Without creativity we will have Nigeria/ Africa lots of certificate but no proper initiative yet the moment they move out to countries where they see creative stuff they excel beyond their dreams.

Wish you and your son all the best and he will surely continue to make u a proud mama...your hard work is already paying off.

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Child Succeed At School by cogniskillslec: 1:45pm On Jun 07, 2013
Cognitive Skills Training is a technique that would solve any child's learning disabilities.My name is Anayo Ezennia,am a certified Cognitive skills trainer.www.cogniskillslec.com. info@cogniskillslec.com. 08038586878.

Cognitive skills are the underlying tools that enable us to successfully think, prioritize, plan, understand, visualize, remember, create useful associations and solve problems. These skills include: attention, working memory, processing speed, visual processing, logic and reasoning, auditory processing, long-term memory and comprehension skills. Each of these skills plays a specific and necessary role, and must work in concert before an individual can learn effectively. Weak skills result in a diminished capacity to learn and perform. Cognitive skills are vital not only for learning but also for various tasks or jobs that require different levels of mental abilities. Consequently, if these cognitive skills are developed and strengthened, more effective work is done. For over 40 years, science has continued to confirm that cognitive skills can be developed and strengthened.

Our programs are based on scientific learning and reading principles that have been researched and developed in the United States of America and South Africa by a multi-disciplinary team of professionals, to quickly and significantly build those underlying mental skills which are responsible for effective learning.

This is a totally new concept and the first of its kind in Nigeria, though widely used in United States and Europe.

www.cogniskillslec.com. info@cogniskillslec.com. 08038586878.

(1) (Reply)

Ibadan Man Commits Suicide Ιn A Toilet In His Mothers House (pix) / I Want To Celebrate My Child's Birthday In Abuja, Who Do I Contact? / Urgent Pls!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.