Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,816 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:46 PM

N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana (6864 Views)

FG Suspends Deduction Of States’ Loans / JUST IN! Buhari Arrives Nigeria, Suspends Aide / Kokori, N-delta APC Leaders Stoking My Row With EFCC —tompolo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by Ngwakwe: 7:53am On Jul 01, 2012
BY LEKE BAIYEWU

Nigeria has decided to suspend its diplomatic tussle with Ghana over the alleged deportation of Nigerian businessmen from the country following the intervention of the Economic Community of West African States. The Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Diaspora Affairs, Mrs. Abike Dabiri- Erewa confirmed this to SUNDAY PUNCH.

Ghana had slammed foreign businessmen, mostly Nigerians, with a $300,000 (N46m) business establishment fee and allegedly sent those who could not pay packing. Dabiri-Erewa however, told our correspondent in an interview, that ECOWAS had called for a negotiation between the countries.

She said, “Ghana has rescinded the decision and the negotiations would last for four months. We hope we will reach a mutual understanding within the period.” A text message notifying her of the suspension was forwarded to our correspondent. It read, “The task force, charged with the responsibility to close shops, is made up of the officials of Ghana’s Registrar-General’s Department, Ghana Investment Promotion Centre, Ghana Revenue Authority, Immigration, Ghana Police Service, Ministry of Trade and Industry and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

“Representatives of these agencies, as well as journalists had gathered at the Ministry of Trade in Accra on Monday, June 25, 2012 for the closure exercise. Suddenly, the Director of Communication, Ministry of Trade and Industry, Mr. Nana Akrasi Sarpong, emerged and announced that the exercise had been called off for now.

“While this was going on, the Vice-President, Ghana Union of Traders Association, Mr. Daniel Aggrey, angrily dashed in to oppose the suspension of the exercise. We believe the call-off is temporary.”

Dabiri-Erewa had recently led a delegation to the Deputy Senate President and Speaker of the ECOWAS parliament, Sen. Ike Ekweremadu to register a complaint over Ghana’s policy. According to her, the Ghanaian Parliament’s law which states that
Nigerians must have the $300,000 before they can run a business in Ghana is unfair.

She said, “Most of these Nigerian traders in Ghana, deal in small goods like CDs, videos, cassettes. For anyone to ask them to bring $300,000 before they can set up a petty business is a bit hypocritical.

“Even if the traders come together, I don’t think they will get N46m to do business there. Ghana should not take us back to 28 years ago when we had issues in West Africa.”

The Ghana Investment Promotion Council had first introduced the fee on November 28, 2007. The council was alleged to have sealed-up hundreds of shops that were not able to pay the fee for more than 20 months.

It would be recalled that South Africa and Nigeria had been embroiled in a diplomatic feud in March, 2012, after authorities at the Oliver Thambo Airport, Johannesburg deported 125 Nigerians, alleging that their yellow fever vaccination cards were not genuine. Nigeria had, in return, deported 84 South Africans within two days.

www.punchng.com/news/n46m-trade-fee-nigeria-suspends-row-with-ghana/
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by Ngwakwe: 8:42am On Jul 01, 2012
ECOWAS was just for Ghana and Co. to have access to Nigerian markets and not for Nigerians to benefit from them.

6 Likes

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by damola1: 9:36am On Jul 01, 2012
Ngwakwe: ECOWAS was just for Ghana and Co. to have access to Nigerian markets and not for Nigerians to benefit from them.

How many ghanian business men have you seen in 9ja... Nigerians are quite dominating set of people...
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by virgo(f): 9:40am On Jul 01, 2012
damola1:

How many ghanian business men have you seen in 9ja... Nigerians are quite dominating set of people...

Really? How does that justify frustrating Nigerian businesses on a whim? Ghanaians are doing harm to their own economy. The clamp down on foreign businesses in order to encourage local businessmen might not be the brightest of ideas. I don't see how it has helped their economy in any way.

3 Likes

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by virgo(f): 9:41am On Jul 01, 2012
Ngwakwe: ECOWAS was just for Ghana and Co. to have access to Nigerian markets and not for Nigerians to benefit from them.

I am all for reciprocal diplomacy. If Ghana does not want Nigerian businessmen in Ghana. Nigeria should show Ghanaian businessmen in Nigeria the door.

4 Likes

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by McCoy91(m): 9:42am On Jul 01, 2012
A $300,000 registration fee is simply hilarious. Nowhere is it done in the world. Nowhere. Most of those businesses will never be worth that amount and you ask them to pay that to begin with?

2 Likes

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by virgo(f): 9:47am On Jul 01, 2012
McCoy91: A $300,000 registration fee is simply hilarious. Nowhere is it done in the world. Nowhere. Most of those businesses will never be worth that amount and you ask them to pay that to begin with?

I wonder o!
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by royallord1(m): 9:51am On Jul 01, 2012
Honestly, i realy like what d ghanians are doin, its time nigeria get her fat as s of the ground and work. Since nigeria is a corrupt nation, no true nation willin to develop wil allow us to invade their country even nw dey hav oil, it time we learnt from dis actions by other nation and change. The law is simple if u are comin to ghana 4 buisnes come prepared to develop the country and nt endanger its economy by takin cash out of it

1 Like

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by Umunede(m): 9:52am On Jul 01, 2012
I don't see how ghana will backed down on this at all, no matter the negotiation
. Petty petty biz which the ghanaians are suppose to be doing themselves are being ran by nigerians. This foreign ownership of biz in ghana is putting too much pressure on their currency.
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by virgo(f): 9:53am On Jul 01, 2012
royal lord: Honestly, i realy like what d ghanians are doin, its time nigeria get her fat as s of the ground and work. If nigeria is as a corrupt nation, no true nation willin to develop wil allow us to invade their country even nw dey hav oil, it time we learnt from dis actions by other nation and change. The law is simple if u are comin to ghana 4 buisnes come prepared to develop the country and nt endanger its economy by takin cash out of it

So that justifies imposing such huge fees on small businesses?
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by virgo(f): 9:56am On Jul 01, 2012
Umunede: I don't see how ghana will backed down on this at all, no matter the negotiation
. Petty petty biz which the ghanaians are suppose to be doing themselves are being ran by nigerians. This foreign ownership of biz in ghana is putting too much pressure on their currency.

Please! Flimsy excuse. The presence of foreign businesses do not stop the Ghanaians from running their own businesses.
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by royallord1(m): 10:04am On Jul 01, 2012
virgo:

So that justifies imposing such huge fees on small businesses?

if ur economy is good why wil u leave ur country to another country, smal and medium enterprises ar economy growers, if dis vital part is controld by nigerian who take d money out of ghana instead of reinvesting it for d growth of d ghana economy and provision of enployment .if u were ghanian how wil u feel
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by royallord1(m): 10:12am On Jul 01, 2012
@ umunede, abeg is it just a name or where u ar from
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by unclenna(m): 10:20am On Jul 01, 2012
royal lord:

if ur economy is good why wil u leave ur country to another country, smal and medium enterprises ar economy growers, if dis vital part is controld by nigerian who take d money out of ghana instead of reinvesting it for d growth of d ghana economy and provision of enployment .if u were ghanian how wil u feel
i don't blame Ghana, i blame Nigeria govt. All govt officials causing pains to poor and average Nigerians .them and there 100 generations will not see gud, they shall b alive and watch there servants rule there children.
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by Ironi: 10:21am On Jul 01, 2012
Selling cd's and all that shiit is petty trading which is reserved for Ghanaians by law.
The 300000 is partly to prevent foreigners from engaging in Petty trading.
Ghana has so much unemployment it does not need foreigners to worsen the situation.
This is not over. It's purely economics.

2 Likes

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by trigar12(m): 10:25am On Jul 01, 2012
Wots wrong with this ghanians sef, 1st it was banning nollywood movies and deportation, they ll regret it on a long run. LETS WAIT AND SEE
Via: Nokia 3110c
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by tjmc: 10:26am On Jul 01, 2012
McCoy91: A $300,000 registration fee is simply hilarious. Nowhere is it done in the world. Nowhere. Most of those businesses will never be worth that amount and you ask them to pay that to begin with?

WITH SUCH AMOUNT I WOULD RATHER GO TO HONG KONG,

2 Likes

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by Lisa1: 10:36am On Jul 01, 2012
Look good
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by Ironi: 10:37am On Jul 01, 2012

That is the whole idea.
Ghana wants to discourage those petty traders. They are not wanted in Ghana.
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by wildorchid(f): 10:44am On Jul 01, 2012
Three hundred thousand dollars for company registration? Is that a joke?
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by PetroDolla: 10:46am On Jul 01, 2012
very simple. Nigeria must go. simplicita. maybe then the economy of Ghana will collapse,abi? Idiotic morons who can't even run their country but want to claim credit for another country's success.
Ironi:

That is the whole idea.
Ghana wants to discourage those petty traders. They are not wanted in Ghana.

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by wine4dguy: 11:00am On Jul 01, 2012
Seriously i am not impressed by dat move ghana has made, It is quite obvious dat ghanains are d non-industrious set of people. They are very dependent I am speaking from experience hence am writing from ghana. Am not taking sides here but from my knowledge of ghanains i am convince that this is pure 'envy'. I was seeking a ghanains opinion on this issue and he replied "Nigerians should go. Look at how they have colonized our markets the best shops belong to them" and i kept asking is it the fault of nigerians that the ghanains do not have good market strategies? Well, this is what is happening on ground u are entitled to ur own opinion.

1 Like

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:01am On Jul 01, 2012
royal lord:

^^^Are you serious with the bolded undecided? You mean to tell me Indians, Lebanese, Chinese, Americans, etc, all these countries with their citizens conducting business in Nigeria and Ghana are doing so because they ran away from their countries 'bad economy'?

I can understand Ghana wanting to empower its citizens in the small/medium enterprise sector, but the way they are going about it goes contrary to ECOWAS free trade/movement protocols. If you say this is so but Ghana has to take care of its own first, i'll equally agree with you, but remind them to bear in mind that this is what they signed up for. A way out for them would be to withdraw from ECOWAS and send all Nigerians (of course it's us they are targeting) packing from their country: and when i say ALL Nigerians i mean those that are in their schools that pump in $1 BILLION into the Ghanaian economy every year; i mean ALL Nigerians that come to Ghana for short and long holiday stays; i mean ALL Nigerians that own luxury homes in Accra (they should blow them up b/4 leaving); i mean ALL high-networth Nigerians engaged in business like GLO, SILVERBIRD GROUP; i mean the banning of Nigerian actors/actresses/movies/musicians from Ghana, and we will do likewise; All these people/products/services should be sent packing together with the small/medium enterprise Nigerians- they can't eat their cake and still have it.

The mistake those of you in support of this ill-advised move by Ghana are doing is to look at only one aspect of Nigerias economic/social relations with Ghana, ignoring other aspects which cancel out any perceived negatives these Nigerian traders are causing. What i would have expected Ghana to do (since we're talking of small/medium scale enterprises) is to empower Ghanaians in these businesses that they see Nigerians engaged in, and by giving Ghanaians subsidies/loans, thay can edge out any foreign competition that doesn't have the financial muscle to compete; that would be a fair/legal way of doing it.

The fact of the matter is that Ghana having good relations with Nigeria (and vice versa) serves a good purpose for both countries as it encourages healthy rivalry in music, sports, movies, etc. Any Ghanaian being honest with himself would tell you that the strides and improvements you see in Ghana in the areas of movies, music, sport, owes largely to either the influence from their Nigerian brothers or from a healthy competition with Nigeria (you know in sports, Nigeria/Ghana can admit/accept defeat to anyone but each other, let's be honest here).

5 Likes

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by member479760: 11:19am On Jul 01, 2012

that's what the old man prof advise them!
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by ebamma(m): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2012
i dont blame the ghanaians,because the are just paying us back in our own coin,abi no be we first deport their people in the name of ghana must go?
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by eddyhaze(m): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2012
what about american and british companies in nigeria( chevron,texaco,etc)? does it affect nigerian companies like oando or conoil?
royal lord:

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by fm7070: 11:39am On Jul 01, 2012
Hon. Dabiri is the kind of person we need in the parliament. She's been up to the task.
Foreign countries will begin to respect Nigerians like they will respect American.
Though we are not there yet, but with this kind of proactive steps of Hon. Abike, we will get there.

Ghana government just wanted to take Nigerians for granted. Forgeting that if Nigerians should leave Ghana, their economy will crash down.
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by jmslimx(m): 11:47am On Jul 01, 2012
They will end up begging Nigeria , Because i know Ghanians , most of there guys are damn lazy there women do stuffs for them , i have gone there several times and even there own locals find it hard for there business to grow, we mostly dominate there economy and its just racism as far as i am concerned to there follow black dudes , it happens with other African countries like Gambia , Senegal , I have seen them hating Nigerians more and more because any country Nigeria is we dominate and take over.

This is a big punch to our government , they should do things right and put the suffering of Nigerians to be minimal , At least provide us with power so that medium scale business can grow , we also need to change our banking policies , because it only favors the rich , How many banks have given small loan , venture capital .

There aint a lot of Ghanians doing Business in Nigeria so retaliation wont even affect them.

1 Like

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by PetroDolla: 11:53am On Jul 01, 2012
oya, what are you waiting for? Leave and let's see whether the Ghanaian economy will collapse. deluded morons! If Ghanaians don't want una is it by force? Go back to your 'peaceful and prosperous' nigeria where everything works.
fm7070: Hon. Dabiri is the kind of person we need in the parliament. She's been up to the task.
Foreign countries will begin to respect Nigerians like they will respect American.
Though we are not there yet, but with this kind of proactive steps of Hon. Abike, we will get there.

Ghana government just wanted to take Nigerians for granted. Forgeting that if Nigerians should leave Ghana, their economy will crash down.

3 Likes

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by virgo(f): 11:55am On Jul 01, 2012
ebamma: i dont blame the ghanaians,because the are just paying us back in our own coin,abi no be we first deport their people in the name of ghana must go?

Wrong. Nigerians were first deported from Ghana in the late sixties during the height of the civil war before we reciprocated in kind years later. #KnowYourHistory wink
Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by keneri(m): 12:21pm On Jul 01, 2012
These Ghanians are growing in envy, pomposity and pseudo-courage when it comes to matters concerning Nigeria. Its time we show them who the boss still is. Since they feel we are "contaminating" their economy or country, then lets pull out our big businesses from there e,g GLO, SILVERBIRD...sell or destroy our posh properties acquired there, lets stop recognizing university certificates that originate from there and ask all our naija students to return home...lets stop any form of cooperation in the areas of sports, music, movies etc...lastly, they are more than free to pull out of the ECOWAS treaty. Stupid set of people. Na our govt i dey blame for making us look caricature in front of these lesser humans who shouldn't have the audacity to talk to any Nigerian straight in the face in the first place.

1 Like

Re: N46m Trade Fee: Nigeria Suspends Row With Ghana by dasparrow: 12:32pm On Jul 01, 2012
virgo:

Wrong. Nigerians were first deported from Ghana in the late sixties during the height of the civil war before we reciprocated in kind years later. #KnowYourHistory wink

Yes you are right. I was made to understand that to. These document talks all about it: http://www.imi.ox.ac.uk/pdfs/rasheed-olaniyi

PetroDolla: oya, what are you waiting for? Leave and let's see whether the Ghanaian economy will collapse. deluded morons! If Ghanaians don't want una is it by force? Go back to your 'peaceful and prosperous' nigeria where everything works.

You are too aggressive, hyper and defensive mehn! I have quietly observed that any thread that even remotely mentions 'Ghana', you come hyperventilating and agitating all over the place. Why is that woman? You are taking nairaland way too seriously and if you dispise Nigerians so much why are you on their forum? I mean I am sure there are Ghana media sites and forums where Ghanians don't always speak sweetly or postively about Nigerians either. At the rate you are going, high blood pressure might end up being your new best friend soon.

Petrodolla, it is unrealistic to expect every Nigerian to talk positively about Ghanians/Ghana the same way it is unrealistic to expect every Ghanian to talk positively about Nigerians/Nigeria. You cannot force everyone to like your country. No matter how much bile/hatred you spew in your posts, it will not stop some Nigerian forumites from stating their opinions about Ghana/Ghanians be it positive or negative.

I was not exactly brought up by my parents to hate other Africans hence I get tired of the back and forth bickering Nigerians and Ghanians engulf in on every single thread that concerns the country Ghana. It is getting really old and childish. You are going to get yourself worked up and upset over nothing. It is not a mandate to be a member of a Nigerian forum abeg especially since it is quite obvious that Ghanians and Nigerians are not exactly the best of buddies from what I have observed on Nairaland. Anyway, whatever! Make una continue with una cyber foolishness and insults if it makes yall sleep better at night. I'm out, peace!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is KORO The Real Messiah For Lagos State?? / Do U Now Agree That Nnamdi Kanu Is A Mad Man? / Army Denies Attack On Chibok church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.