Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,708 members, 7,802,126 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (192) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1774700 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 27, 2014
HappyJoe:

Hmm, I thought Calabar was better planned than Enugu (anyway, I've only been there once, in 2003).

Yes, overall Calabar is very well planned than Enugu but my emphasis is on street design and modern houses...there are lots of newer, modern , Abuja -style, expensive estates I saw in Enugu that you will only find in a handful of places in Calabar. I think it has to do with taste, fear of Nigeria separating and Igbos investing heavily in real estate in the East of which Enugu is their number 1 spot. Most importantly, I think Igbos have the largest concentration of individual income in Nigeria compared to other ethic groups; they can easily afford such expensive real estate projects without government assistance. Price of properties and land have skyrocketed too in recent yrs in Enugu. I'm a developer and my co-partner is from Enugu.

You have to remember both Calabar and Enugu were capitals of former Eastern Nigerian Region; both are planned cities and received the same planning that bears resemblance to Abuja Planning.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 27, 2014
londoner: ^^^^^ Maybe these developers are the same Igbo developers responsible for some of the houses/hotels in Abuja. They also need to invest and design greenery to compliment those streets and estates.

Very likely. Some top Abuja developers are Igbos that I know personally.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 8:03pm On Jul 27, 2014
new2020:
Yes, overall Calabar is very planned than Enugu but my emphasis is on street design and modern houses...there are lots of newer, modern , Abuja -style, expensive estates I saw in Enugu that you will only find in a handful of places in Calabar. I think it has to do with taste, fear of Nigeria separating and Igbos investing heavily in real estate in the East which Enugu is number 1 spot. Price of properties and land have skyrocketed too in recent yrs. I'm a developer and co-partner is from Enugu.
You have to remember both Calabar and Enugu were capitals of former Eastern Nigerian Region; both are planned cities and received the same planning that bears resemblance to Abuja Planning.

Do you have any pictures of Calabar?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
HappyJoe:

Do you have any pictures of Calabar?

I don't have any. The link to the thread on Calabar city below can be helpful
https://www.nairaland.com/364691/beautiful-calabar-pictures

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 11:11pm On Jul 27, 2014
I wish to read more APC posts patterned after Osita Okechukwu's style:

The All Progressives Congress, APC, has expressed concern over the listing of Enugu among the parasitic states contributing nothing to the Federation Account, in spite of the huge coal deposit worth billions of Dollars in the state yet to be explored.
The party’s spokesman in the South East zone, Mr. Osita Okechukwu, made this known while addressing the Udi Local Government Area Exco of APC, Enugu State, at 9th Mile Corner, near Enugu, Sunday.
He recalled that mid July, a pro-Jonathan group, Committee of Pro-Federal Delegates, National Conference, in an advertorial on how Southern states subsidize Northern states, listed Enugu among the states with zero contribution to the Federation Account.
The party said enough revenue would have been generated from Enugu State had the Federal Government, led by President Goodluck Jonathan, fulfilled his promise to revamp Enugu Coal into Coal-Fired-Plant aimed at producing 1000MW of electricity.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/apc-raps-fg-abandonment-enugu-coal-deposit/

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in the South-East on Sunday in Enugu called on the Federal Government to facilitate the revival of the coal deposits in Enugu State.

The call was contained in a statement by the party’s spokesman in the zone, Osita Okechukwu. It said this would help to increase the revenue base of the country.

The statement however lamented the delay in the planned seismic survey to determine the quantity of the deposits. “The delay is not healthy for the development of the state and the country at large,” it said.

The statement said the delay was also restraining international interventions and competitive bidding on the project.

“President Goodluck Jonathan promised the people of the South-East during the party’s zonal rally for the 2011 presidential election, that he will revamp the Enugu coal deposits to produce over 1,000 megawatts of electricity.

“The federal government should fulfill this promise to generate more revenue and improve the standard of living of the people of the area.

“Enugu State is sitting on top of a huge coal deposit worth billions of dollars,” it said.

The statement appealed to the Federal Government to keep the people of the area abreast of latest developments on the project as a way of ensuring good governance.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/07/27/apc-wants-enugu-coal-deposits-revived/
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by signz: 11:38pm On Jul 27, 2014
DeCritique: Uncle Spyder, ndewo! Please I'll be visiting Enugu quite soon, New Haven to be precise. I don't know if you can give me the names of any hotels around the area with not too expensive rates and a little idea of how the rates would be like. Thanks

At otigba junction, sunshine guesthouse is btw 5k - 6.5k per night. Likewise blue island at bisalla road.

Barrygold just opposite new haven police station is btw 4k - 5.5k.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 27, 2014
Enugu coal has served Nigeria.

Agriculture and Tourism(including medical tourism) is another sector where Enugu can venture. But our leaders have their eyes fixed on oil and the monthly alawi. No one wants to be bold, to strategize, to take the bull by the horn, set targets not limited to the immediate regime or tagged to any person but a kind of blueprint for the state, for the igbos.
Unfortunately, due to our culture of poor continuity and selfishness, everyone wants a project to be started and completed within his tenure.

As for GEJ, the earlier Igbos recognise that he is not serious with them the better us.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kettykin: 12:07am On Jul 28, 2014
cjrane:

Great estate! I hope Igbos in the north seize all these opportunity to have a home in the southeast before the coming pogrom of those who stubbornly refused to leave the north.

I am highly interested in seeing this estate transformed with trees and flowers to resemble Shell camp PH. They say only "Oyibo" people understand the importance of flowers and a conducive environment to their lives, but I think we Africans must begin to create beautiful housing estate-communities with plenty of trees and flowers too.

If only the developers will remember that a home isn't just about joining blocks with cement and putting a corrugated sheet over it as roof.
A home is very importantly " a conducive environment that allows families and communities to thrive in peace with nature"
Therefore planting flowers and trees around each house in that estate will convert it from looking like a prison camp in a residential shell-camp like community.

Apart from the coming pogrom and genocide , igbo developers lost trillions of Naira in demolished property during the Elrufai madness and even up till today demolition is still going on. If Only igbos can find a way to link Enugu to Abuja via a high speed rail link it would as a matter of necessity transform Enugu to a mega city as most igbo business owners would prefer to transit daily from Enugu to Abuja to transact their businesses and come back to Enugu , most civil servants would spend weekends in Enugu and weekdays in Abuja, businesses like NBL , 7UP etc will leverage on that for their distribution to Lokoja and Abuja and to other middle belt towns. igbo investments in the North which Boko Haram is targeting will now be centered in Enugu where there will not be abandoned property or unnecessary imposition of property taxes

Abuja to Kaduna rail link is almost complete , Enugu to Abuja which is normally 5 hours by road can be 2 hours by rail if properly designed or Abuja to lokoja and lokoja to Enugu , Enugu to Abuja will be double the distance from Aba to Enugu

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by gabbytabby: 12:44am On Jul 28, 2014
spyder880:

Thank you sister, where have you been all these while, did you take a trip to relax at Ibiza? grin
for where, I don land for war front 2 weeks now and na so so rain and communication failure dey challenge me.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 1:09am On Jul 28, 2014
kettykin:

Apart from the coming pogrom and genocide , igbo developers lost trillions of Naira in demolished property during the Elrufai madness and even up till today demolition is still going on. If Only igbos can find a way to link Enugu to Abuja via a high speed rail link it would as a matter of necessity transform Enugu to a mega city as most igbo business owners would prefer to transit daily from Enugu to Abuja to transact their businesses and come back to Enugu , most civil servants would spend weekends in Enugu and weekdays in Abuja, businesses like NBL , 7UP etc will leverage on that for their distribution to Lokoja and Abuja and to other middle belt towns. igbo investments in the North which Boko Haram is targeting will now be centered in Enugu where there will not be abandoned property or unnecessary imposition of property taxes

Abuja to Kaduna rail link is almost complete , Enugu to Abuja which is normally 5 hours by road can be 2 hours by rail if properly designed or Abuja to lokoja and lokoja to Enugu , Enugu to Abuja will be double the distance from Aba to Enugu

To make my point clear, I am not advocating that Igbo should leave Abuja or elsewhere where they derive their daily bread, but should be wise on how much they are staking there in immovable assets. Igbo are sometimes so silly that they have no hut in their village, but will go to Gusau or Potiskum to build and boast of having the biggest mansion in another man's hometown! My entire point is around the age long wisdom; "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"
I know many of us wish that Nigeria will somehow understand that developing the southeast is to its ultimate advantage.
The bitter truth is that Nigeria is filled with wicked,clannish,shortsighted evil minded fellows.
The last thing you can hope for in your life time is a rail link from Enugu to Abuja!
They will even build rail links to Niger Republic before they will build one to Enugu for the southeast to benefit.

Imagine how much sleepless nights they had simply because Enugu airport was merely given permission by GEJ for international flight? They fought Mrs. Stella Oduah with the last drop of their blood and even used the House of Reps. to refuse to include the Enugu terminal building in the $500 million dollars loan for International airports terminal! O'l boy, we are living with extremely wicked so called "fellow countrymen". Therefore, we must be very wise and always have a plan-B as we are running around and investing all over Nigeria, as if it is our hometown! Merely hoping that these places will remain peaceful forever or by some miracle, tribal hatred of Igbo will disappear and Nigeria will suddenly be one united country is not a strategy. Failure to be wise and shrewd will result in catastrophically repeating the same mistakes of our fathers who had dozens of houses and investments in faraway places such as Katsina,Kano, Bauchi, but had no hut in their hometown.

Igbo must learn from the wisdom and business acumen of Aliko Dangote who is the wealthiest blackman in the world,most of the billions of naira spent on cement houses in Onitsha,Enugu,Aba, Asaba, Umuahia or Owerri go to Dangote. Yet, inspite of the East being historically safe to businesses owned by northerners, he does not have a hut in any part of Igboland! Do you think that was merely by accident? No! Astute business decisions have been made at the highest level of that company to avoid any investment in the southeast, even though the company reaps billions from selling their cement in that region.

I can understand the plight of economic migrants and Igbo petty traders migrating up north to eek out a living doing menial jobs. But for the millionaire Igbo business man that concerns himself with silly thoughts such as I'm Enugu,I'm Imo , I'm Anambra or I'm Delta to prevent them from investing in the East where their investment is safe, guaranteed and can be bequeathed to their future offspring, do not have my pity when they are maimed and their investment burnt to the ground in the north or elsewhere.

The essence of history is to learn from it or you are bound to repeat the same terrible and unfortunate mistakes. I heard Nnewi people got together after the civil war and counted their enormous loss in different parts of Nigeria, then made a vow to always keep the bulk of their business in their hometown whether it had infrastructure or no infrastructure.
That is how we must all learn from our history to be wiser or we are bound to repeat the unfortunate mistakes of our fathers. God forbid!
Ka chineke mezie okwu ...

14 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 2:02am On Jul 28, 2014
cjrane:
To make my point clear, I am not advocating that Igbo should leave Abuja or elsewhere where they derive their daily bread, but should be wise on how much they are staking there in immovable assets. Igbo are sometimes so silly that they have no hut in their village, but will go to Gusau or Potiskum to build and boast of having the biggest mansion in another man's hometown! My entire point is around the age long wisdom; "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"
I know many of us wish that Nigeria will somehow understand that developing the southeast is to its ultimate advantage.
The bitter truth is that Nigeria is filled with wicked,clannish,shortsighted evil minded fellows.
The last thing you can hope for in your life time is a rail link from Enugu to Abuja!
They will even build rail links to Niger Republic before they will build one to Enugu for the southeast to benefit.
Imagine how much sleepless nights they had simply because Enugu airport was merely given permission by GEJ for international flight? They fought Mrs. Stella Oduah with the last drop of their blood and even used the House of Reps. to refuse to include the Enugu terminal building in the $500 million dollars loan for International airports terminal! O'l boy, we are living with extremely wicked so called "fellow countrymen". Therefore, we must be very wise and always have a plan-B as we are running around and investing all over Nigeria, as if it is our hometown! Merely hoping that these places will remain peaceful forever or by some miracle, tribal hatred of Igbo will disappear and Nigeria will suddenly be one united country is not a strategy. Failure to be wise and shrewd will result in catastrophically repeating the same mistakes of our fathers who had dozens of houses and investments in faraway places such as Katsina,Kano, Bauchi, but had no hut in their hometown.
Igbo must learn from the wisdom and business acumen of Aliko Dangote who is the wealthiest blackman in the world,most of the billions of naira spent on cement houses in Onitsha,Enugu,Aba, Asaba, Umuahia or Owerri go to Dangote. Yet, inspite of the East being historically safe to businesses owned by northerners, he does not have a hut in any part of Igboland! Do you think that was merely by accident? No! Astute business decisions have been made at the highest level of that company to avoid any investment in the southeast, even though the company reaps billions from selling their cement in that region.
I can understand the plight of economic migrants and Igbo petty traders migrating up north to eek out a living doing menial jobs. But for the millionaire Igbo business man that concerns himself with silly thoughts such as I'm Enugu,I'm Imo , I'm Anambra or I'm Delta to prevent them from investing in the East where their investment is safe, guaranteed and can be bequeathed to their future offspring, do not have my pity when they are maimed and their investment burnt to the ground in the north or elsewhere.
The essence of history is to learn from it or you are bound to repeat the same terrible and unfortunate mistakes. I heard Nnewi people got together after the civil war and counted their enormous loss in different parts of Nigeria, then made a vow to always keep the bulk of their business in their hometown whether it had infrastructure or no infrastructure.
That is how we must all learn from our history to be wiser or we are bound to repeat the unfortunate mistakes of our fathers. God forbid!

True words.

I remember an influential person telling me that Okonjo-Iweala had to assure the Yorubas about Lagos/Ibadan expressway, before work started on 2nd Niger Bridge.

It is true that under a Yoruba or Hausa leader we would have never gotten an international airport or a 2nd Niger Bridge. We must thank Jonathan for that.

However, Stella was responsible for her downfall. Nebo is in power, we have the Minister of Health, Okonjo-Iweala is still in Finance. Stella was too greedy and her greed was responsible for her downfall. She didn't cover her tracks & she has no one to blame but herself.

Work on the new terminal is ongoing. I think they'll finish the structure by September and start working on the fittings, luckily Chidoka is aviation minister & should speed things up.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:31am On Jul 28, 2014
cjrane:

@bolded. I have stressed on those points before. It's very unfortunate. And tomorrow, we'll all come out and shout one Nigeria...

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 2:37am On Jul 28, 2014
centje: @bolded. I have stressed on those points before. It's very unfortunate. And tomorrow, we'll all come out and shout one Nigeria...

Aliko is into cement business. You cannot do cement in the Southeast with Ibeto & Nkalagu already dominating it. We have lot of business men & Aliko doesn't want that kind of competition.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:42am On Jul 28, 2014
HappyJoe:

Aliko is into cement business. You cannot do cement in the Southeast with Ibeto & Nkalagu already dominating it. We have lot of business men & Aliko doesn't want that kind of competition.
He is into other businesses, it's not only cement. What stops him from setting any of them in the east??

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 2:43am On Jul 28, 2014
centje: He is into other businesses, it's not only cement. What stops him from setting any of them in the east??

Like which one?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:55am On Jul 28, 2014
HappyJoe:

Like which one?
dangote sugar, dangote noodles, dangote pasta, dangote flour, dangote semovita, dangote tomato, dangote juice(dansa), dangote salt, dangote milk, dangote water...

real estate, many other businesses. You think he is Africa's richest by dealing only on cement. Who controls stock market...

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 6:44am On Jul 28, 2014
ChinoElects1: The same reason unilorin and uniben and unilag are all also the most sought-after. Well u are just a teenager who know little or nothing about how the system works.

who is a teenager? I tnk everybody here kws who behaves like a teenager

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:15pm On Jul 28, 2014
Around CBN quarters, Trans Ekulu Enugu.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:16pm On Jul 28, 2014
Zoological gardens, Enugu.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:19pm On Jul 28, 2014
Fellow Enugu people, please give your candid opinions about this topical issue as captured on this poster I saw somewhere in Enugu town.

As you contribute, remember we are politically mature in this state. No hard words or insult, please.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2014
^
That's funny.
Enugu stands on a tripod: Nsukka, Nkanu and Udi.
Udi has subsumed Awgu in much the same way as it subsumed Oji River areas.
That picture is more of an emotional appeal, but far from factual.
Nsukka of 7LGAs cannot be coequals with Awgu (1 LGA. Or 2 even if you add Aninri)
It's just not fair na!
I suggest Awgu joins forces with Aninri, and then wrestle for Oji River. If they succeed, then Udi will be left with a weaker Udi/Ezeagu. That way, the Awgu power bloc might emerge stronger than Udi.
But asking to be recognized as co-equals with Nsukka or Nkanu is Mission Impossible.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oilykid(m): 1:22pm On Jul 28, 2014
The good people of agwu should be patient and let the Nsukka zone complete their tenure after chime leaves office next year,may be after that the seat of power be shifted to them.BTW agwu is under which senatorial zone
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 2:18pm On Jul 28, 2014
oilykid: The good people of agwu should be patient and let the Nsukka zone complete their tenure after chime leaves office next year,may be after that the seat of power be shifted to them.BTW agwu is under which senatorial zone

Awgu is under Udi senatorial zone. And, trust Nkanu people to hijack power after Nsukka tenure, that's why Awgu is afraid.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by DeCritique(m): 3:17pm On Jul 28, 2014
signz:

At otigba junction, sunshine guesthouse is btw 5k - 6.5k per night. Likewise blue island at bisalla road.

Barrygold just opposite new haven police station is btw 4k - 5.5k.

Thank you very much bro/sis. In the event of this I should hold about 30-50k . Come November 2nd, I might invite some of you guys in Enugu to a birthday party fr my girlfriend. Hope you guys will be available then. Thanks for the info.

On a second thought, Uncle Spyder880, what's the make of your phone abeg? The camera picture quality too shaaaaaaarrrrrpppppp. I've already fallen head over heels for it. Hope you don't mind telling me.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 4:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
spyder880: Fellow Enugu people, please give your candid opinions about this topical issue as captured on this poster I saw somewhere in Enugu town.

As you contribute, remember we are politically mature in this state. No hard words or insult, please.
Oga Spyder, I just came into Enugu and discovered the solution to your puzzle along Okpara Avenue.

cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by signz: 5:16pm On Jul 28, 2014
DeCritique:

Thank you very much bro/sis. In the event of this I should hold about 30-50k . Come November 2nd, I might invite some of you guys in Enugu to a birthday party fr my girlfriend. Hope you guys will be available then. Thanks for the info.

On a second thought, Uncle Spyder880, what's the make of your phone abeg? The camera picture quality too shaaaaaaarrrrrpppppp. I've already fallen head over heels for it. Hope you don't mind telling me.

Confam.

And I inflated the prices by as much as 500 - 1000 just in case of any inflation wink
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 9:31am On Jul 29, 2014
spyder880: Fellow Enugu people, please give your candid opinions about this topical issue as captured on this poster I saw somewhere in Enugu town.

It is not all about producing governors and senators as some areas of Enugu have not seen the light of this Government since the first term. Awgu people have good roads and hospitals(including UNTH) to an extent. We should pray for a selfless Governor from Enugu north senatorial zone that will affect the lives of umu Enugu n'ile and not one group. Daalu nu umu NNE mu.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by DeCritique(m): 3:18pm On Jul 29, 2014
signz:

Confam.

And I inflated the prices by as much as 500 - 1000 just in case of any inflation wink

Thanks jare
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by myhobbies(m): 6:36pm On Jul 29, 2014
spyder880:

Awgu is under Udi senatorial zone. And, trust Nkanu people to hijack power after Nsukka tenure, that's why Awgu is afraid.

I don't even care where the next governor emerges from as far as he or she touches all the places in the state.

I am from Nkanu east but the last Nkanu man, Chimaroke that ruled Enugu did not reach our domain at all. Even up till now we are still praying and hoping that Enugu state government should remember us..

I am talking about Ubahu - Owo - Amechi Idodo - Amankanu and the rest.
I don't know if we are not among Enugu state.
Peace be with you...

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 8:34pm On Jul 29, 2014
I was just going through the Enugu life style and golf city (centenary city) website and i came to realise that close to half of the plots are already sold.

Wow!

Real estate is moving faster than hot cake in Enugu.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by pazienza(m): 10:43pm On Jul 29, 2014
cjrane:

Such a well written post. 1 million likes.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by WIZGUY69(m): 11:32pm On Jul 29, 2014
Not Impressed. still that backward and underdeveloped town/village.
042 ko, 024 ni. what's all these?

(1) (2) (3) ... (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) ... (694) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.