Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,166 members, 7,807,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (260) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1778142 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oneeast: 5:11pm On Sep 17, 2014
As 'onye nese foto' have I ever failed in this task of 'photoing'? I don't think so! cheesy

asha80: one can only believe chino when he actually posts pics not all these 'i passed there and i saw massive construction','i will get you thepics' stories
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oneeast: 5:13pm On Sep 17, 2014
Don't worry, I will create the thread myself and furnish it with pictures once I resume my annual leave. Spyder should continue with his own task here!

Handsomegod: @CJ looolzzz@limpopo! @Spyder! Remember ur promise o! Kindly find time out of ur busy schedule and create the Anambra thread so we can launch it officially with Chino's expected pics of projectws in our Omambala cities. Enugu thread is a moving train and the trendiest topic on NL! Time to divest the brainstorming and mutual jabs. @Chino,endeavour to get close and clear pics so we can better disect the quality of work done on them.Interestingly,the PR team of 2 south eastern states(names withheld) are ardent followers of this thread since men started discussing ingrated and inclusive regional development plans for alaigbo. By d way,there was a certain enignmatic dude known as" smartalk" who created a series titled "preparing the east for post-nigeria future" and he captured all we have been discussing here even to the point of philosophical foundations of the future igbo land.d dude was so on point and I wish he will jump in as well.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 5:16pm On Sep 17, 2014
oneeast: What are you talking about? This report was in July precisely 18th. Go through the report, that was when he extracted from the contractors to complete the project within 10months and this is September.

Bia nwokem, are you the only one in Jerusalem that does not know there is a difference between "earmarked" and "eyemarked"?

Biko, i don't worry about timelines published by faceless people on newspapers. When you "Eye Mark" the completed Malls and post them, Okpari! grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
cjrane:

Which bridge is this?

On Abakaliki road towards the airport?

Sure.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 5:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
spyder880:

Sure.

Wow! see solid work!

Thanks for sharing Sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
oneeast: Don't worry, I will create the thread myself and furnish it with pictures once I resume my annual leave. Spyder should continue with his own task here!

Thank you bro, hoping to contribute there. Anambra is my home too. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
The bridge over a rail line.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
Beautification process for the embankments ongoing.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 5:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
oneeast: Don't worry, I will create the thread myself and furnish it with pictures once I resume my annual leave. Spyder should continue with his own task here!

Ezinwoke! Thanks a lot!

After we have successfully launched and started that, will you help me with a thread titled

"Asaba: Pearl on the Niger" ?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:26pm On Sep 17, 2014
It's a beautiful city.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 5:31pm On Sep 17, 2014
spyder880: It's a beautiful city.

Wow! Sweet!

Allah! Person wey insult Sullivan Chime deserves hell fire in Jesus name!

The projects are all done to international standard. Even the grassing of that slope to prevent erosion and road failure!

I hope he plants pine trees too on that slope. Their roots help to keep the soil tight from erosion.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:50pm On Sep 17, 2014
cjrane:
Wow! Sweet!
Allah! Person wey insult Sullivan Chime deserves hell fire in Jesus name!
The projects are all done to international standard. Even the grassing of that slope to prevent erosion and road failure!
I hope he plants pine trees too on that slope. Their roots help to keep the soil tight from erosion.

The small road by the left hand side of the embankment was created and completed last year. It leads into New Haven from Abakaliki express under the tunnel.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2014
oneeast:

Governor Willie Obiano was and received by equally enthusiastic residents and traders at Nnewi as he stormed the Shoprite Centre located at the former Nkwo-Nnewi Triangle where he appreciated the pioneering business wizardly of the indigenes of the area led by the late Sir Louis Philip Odumegwu-Ojukwu, whom he recalled was so successful in business that when the Queen of England visited Nigeria many decades ago, he offered the Federal government his personal Rolls Royce Car to chauffer her.

The Governor told the contracting firm, traders, residents and natives that he came on an inspection visit to assess the ongoing work, noting that “what we are constructing here is unprecedented. We don’t have this type of Mall anywhere. The car park is on top of the Mall, It is a befitting edifice to support the business acumen of Nnewi people

Wow! If the highlighted is indeed true, then Anambra is making headway. I have not seen a lot of structures with top-floor parking garage in Nigeria. Someone from Anambra and local need to get us pictures and monthly updates on these on-going malls...this is why we need Anambra thread. These malls and resorts will boast Anambra economy and attract people to invest more along those lines. Gov. must stay resolute in giving Onitsha, Nnewi and Akwa some serious face lifts. Especially Onitsha with those Europe-looking tall buildings, all it needs is a modern street roads and neatness. I came across a thread few months ago of a GRA in Onitsha; I couldn't believe eyes...lots of beautiful, expensive, well planned modern houses. Can't find this thread anymore. I'm impressed!

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nnewi1stSon: 7:33pm On Sep 17, 2014
Innovator90:

Wow! If the highlighted is indeed true, then Anambra is making headway. I have not seen a lot of structures with top-floor parking garage in Nigeria. Someone from Anambra and local need to get us pictures and monthly updates on these on-going malls...this is why we need Anambra thread. These malls and resorts will boast Anambra economy and attract people to invest more along those lines. Gov. must stay resolute in giving Onitsha, Nnewi and Akwa some serious face lifts. Especially Onitsha with those Europe-looking tall buildings, all it needs is a modern street roads and neatness. I came across a thread few months ago of a GRA in Onitsha; I couldn't believe eyes...lots of beautiful, expensive, well planned modern houses. Can't find this thread anymore. I'm impressed!
Bro I'm from Nnewi, the last time I was there (August) I went there to take pics,but the entire structure was shielded with Zinc! I wonder what they are hiding undecided I hope it would be open in time for Christmas tho

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:10am On Sep 18, 2014
Ikengawo:

New York has 0 federal presence, and Washington DC is 100% federal presence. You can't compare NY to DC.
The difference is with Nigeria the government was in Lagos because that's where the economy was, afterwards they went to Abuja but you can't say that Abuja's superior federal and government presence has made it more economically viable than Lagos.

The post below, by cjrane, highlighted a point i made initially. When we say federal presence, it's not whether the federal capital is physically sited in a place. Nigeria saw the mistake we made in planning of lagos as capital and didn't want to repeat the same in Abuja. How often do you hear that a factory, refinery etc been sited in Abuja...the design is to make Abuja cool, and to have an administrative feel. Again US has a different system from ours. In our own system, too much power is concentrated in the centre.

The point i was trying to let you see is this. Take a closer look at Chime's projects. You did see a government trying to create a better environment to attract investments. Imagine if such a person has more power and fund at his disposal. He made a good decision, With the presence of international airport, Enugu needed to be revived for the potential investors to take the state serious. For instance, I can still remember how refuse dumps filled streets in enugu, but now you hardly see such.

Investors don't put their money where they are not assured of securities and other facilities necessary for smooth running of business. And it's the job of government to provide such, and watch investors come in.

cjrane:

I think making an overly simplistic direct comparison of America's Federal Government to Nigeria's Federal Government without considering the realities of Nigeria will make you miss the point.

In USA, the federal government resources are from royalties,taxes and specific federal investments. The states are free to use whatever resource they have within their states to fund their budgets. If Rivers state or Akwaibom were part of the USA, they should and will be more developed than anywhere else in Nigeria.

In Nigeria, the Federal government collects 100% of the states' resources and only recently it began to give back only 13% for mineral wealth mined to the states that own the wealth. The taxes are collected centrally and only a minute fraction is disbursed to the state. Key infrastructure projects in any state such a refinery, power plants, trunk-A road bridges or flyovers etc must have exclusive permission from the central government to happen, and the permission can be withdrawn anytime by the FG before any state can do it. In the light of the realities of Nigeria's unitary system of government, of course any state that hosts the FG will have the benefit of encumbering funds derived from other areas for it's development.Add this to the fact that Nigeria is a highly tribalistic place where the capital will of course be sited in the preferred areas of the country and whoever controls the FG will use the opportunity of the flawed system to develop his area at the expense of the other places in the country.

Abuja is a shining example of this unjust system. A thick bush was converted into a shining city within a space of 15 years, yet places like Warri, PH Oron, Eket until recently had remained isolated sorry places without good roads,electricity nor pipe borne water for decades.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 7:16am On Sep 18, 2014

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:32am On Sep 18, 2014
Kcinho: Meanwhile our IGR keeps increasing. Enugu Na adi mma.
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-rivers-enugu-generated-the-most-igr-in-2013/189296/?utm_content=bufferb8975&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
na wa o, check out lagos IGR compared to other states shocked

Well, If our IGR is improving then we are still on track, small small, one step at a time, we will get there.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 7:36am On Sep 18, 2014
I really love the analysis you guys are making here for the future development of the Igbo nation. I agree that a functional international airport will kick start the development. In my view, we need a Speed train that will connect all igbo states within two hours and will be manage and own by private sector. We should seriously push for these not with the fed govt by with the state Governors and private sectors involved. May be one person can just draw the train lines and stopovers connecting all the eastern major cities and the Southern states as well. I tell you guys, the South african investors in Nigeria and seriously looking for such a viable project that will profit them that they will invest on. All of us need to check the economic advantage of having such a project achieved here. If all the Governors especially Rochas Okorocha will leave politics and think about how he will join other igbo governors to build the igbo nation, then things might get better soon. Plz remember to tell your brothers to stop investing in Abuja, its a great city but I feel it has no future gong by what is happening. Lagos too should not be considered cause of what the owners of the state are saying and might do one day. Bring all your investment home and create and enabling environment to make it viable. We still have investment that have survived all these and still standing. Imagine if our people did heed this call back then. What will this igbo nation be like it now. Those in the north may tell yu better what it means to invest where you are not wanted.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 7:52am On Sep 18, 2014
If we can get Bishop42 to draw a speed train line that will connect all the eastern states and South south, we will start pushing to investors. Any other powerful architecture can also help to do the drawing including powerful and beautified stations, we will start pushing to investors right away. First to all the igbo groups and unions in diaspora, we can get someone to tender it to the eastern governors in there meeting, and individually, we will send it to investors home and abroad. If governors set persoonal and selfishness aside, I know that the south african investors in Enugu now will not let the opportunity pass by. Please do not disclose to newspaper and others igbo haters cause when the investors comes to the minister of Federal govt, they may be cornered to another East in the north or South west. It has happened before, it will happpen again if care is not taken.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 7:53am On Sep 18, 2014

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ketoprofen(m): 8:09am On Sep 18, 2014
centje:

The post below, by cjrane, highlighted a point i made initially. When we say federal presence, it's not whether the federal capital is physically sited in a place. Nigeria saw the mistake we made in planning of lagos as capital and didn't want to repeat the same in Abuja. How often do you hear that a factory, refinery etc been sited in Abuja...the design is to make Abuja cool, and to have an administrative feel. Again US has a different system from ours. In our own system, too much power is concentrated in the centre.

The point i was trying to let you see is this. Take a closer look at Chime's projects. You did see a government trying to create a better environment to attract investments. Imagine if such a person has more power and fund at his disposal. He made a good decision, With the presence of international airport, Enugu needed to be revived for the potential investors to take the state serious. For instance, I can still remember how refuse dumps filled streets in enugu, but now you hardly see such.

Investors don't put their money where they are not assured of securities and other facilities necessary for smooth running of business. And it's the job of government to provide such, and watch investors come in.

We are talking about Enugu state here not just the capital.
The state has potentials for agricultural industries for eg.
Remember we still have UDI, awgu, nsukka, nkanu to develop economically.
It should be in such a way that you can stay in Ezeagu and still make mad money other than moving all the way to Enugu to get a good job.
Obviously, Enugu indigenes don't have this flair for investing at home like their anambra sister state indigenes.
That too should be worked on

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 18, 2014
henrychubayo: If we can get Bishop42 to draw a speed train line that will connect all the eastern states and South south, we will start pushing to investors. Any other powerful architecture can also help to do the drawing including powerful and beautified stations, we will start pushing to investors right away. First to all the igbo groups and unions in diaspora, we can get someone to tender it to the eastern governors in there meeting, and individually, we will send it to investors home and abroad. If governors set persoonal and selfishness aside, I know that the south african investors in Enugu now will not let the opportunity pass by. Please do not disclose to newspaper and others igbo haters cause when the investors comes to the minister of Federal govt, they may be cornered to another East in the north or South west. It has happened before, it will happpen again if care is not taken.
i think it's time we go beyond mere posting here. We can get all these ideas organised and integrated, and see how we can sell them to politicians and leaders of igbo nation, and to the old eastern region.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by omicron(m): 9:11am On Sep 18, 2014
centje: i think it's time we go beyond mere posting here. We can get all these ideas organised and integrated, and see how we can sell them to politicians and leaders of igbo nation, and to the old eastern region.
Welcome to the Nairaland Think Tank Initiative.....for Integrated South East Development cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 10:43am On Sep 18, 2014
centje: i think it's time we go beyond mere posting here. We can get all these ideas organised and integrated, and see how we can sell them to politicians and leaders of igbo nation, and to the old eastern region.
Your ideas are great. But we need to have something first to push. That is why I said if we can get someone to draw the structural speed train line and solid beautified stations. We will then start going beyond mere posting here. Do you have idea who can help with that?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ozonna(m): 11:02am On Sep 18, 2014

Gbam!!!

There's this Kengali (hope I got the spelling right) guy who also has wonderful ideas about SE development. In my spare time I'll search for his posts

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 11:22am On Sep 18, 2014
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 6:28pm On Sep 18, 2014
centje:

oh ok. the US uses the same system as Nigeria, the federal capital is in DC and you don't see that much industry there (for an american city that is). I see your point though, but I was illustrating that the issue with Nigeria isn't that federal government needs to be there for businesses to thrive, but the fact that a lot of ppl think this is how it is and thus flood into 'capitals'. If I were in industrialist in Imo state for example, I would go to Orlu before Owerri. Land is cheaper, and there's a lot of supply industries near by that I can feed from. Orlu people are also better connected in markets like alaba than Owerri people. What I'm illustrating is that there are several reasons a business can chose a place outside of government presence.

It's about finding your comparative advantage or 'selling point'. There are things Enugu has the Abuja and Lagos don't. It's something we can measure right now. Abuja is a beautiful city but Nollywood for example has chosen Enugu Owerri and Asaba as home. Why? Because most actors are from the area, they're peaceful clean places, and since they're used to seeing filming and are cool mannered people they won't swarm the set like Lagosians. There's cheap apartments and hotels stars and cast can stay at during filming and all of the marketers in Nigeria are from the East so it's easy to make contacts. In all of these calculations, where does federal presence play a part?

Most businesses are like this. Federal presence only attracts people and people create a market which attracts business, but that's only 1 of a million factors that make a business environment thrive.

My key point is that we as africans in general need to stop focusing so much on government this and government that. The government is 1 organization out of millions in the country and thousands in a city. It's powerful, yes, but few Nigerian business people encounter or consider it when planning.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 2:17pm On Sep 19, 2014
Insightful comments from the pro themselves, just wish our leaders are reading these comments and also form developmental ally that would propel the south east to its rightful position in the continent. God bless u all!!! #stillrockingthecoalcity.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 2:32pm On Sep 19, 2014
Even in my school the wind of transformation is also blowing across. Here is sociology/anthropology department by the right (do u notice the workers around keeping the surrounding and buildings clean?), faculty of social science building by the left (housing four departments), faculty of education at the extreme end with pol. Science in the middle. We are not yet there but we would surely get there #repingUNN, and kudos to Bartho!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 2:34pm On Sep 19, 2014
Ozonna:

Gbam!!!

There's this Kengali (hope I got the spelling right) guy who also has wonderful ideas about SE development. In my spare time I'll search for his posts

^^^I think you meant 'svengali'.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 2:43pm On Sep 19, 2014
christejames: Even in my school the wind of transformation is also blowing across. Here is sociology/anthropology department by the right (do u notice the workers around keeping the surrounding and buildings clean?), faculty of social science building by the left (housing four departments), faculty of education at the extreme end with pol. Science in the middle. We are not yet there but we would surely get there #repingUNN, and kudos to Bartho!

Keeping the surrounding clean is a great thing to do. But most importantly planting trees, grass and flowers to transform the entire environment into a true campus feel is a begging issue in our higher institutions. We must teach young people that a conducive environment is just as important as the building itself. The best place to impact that awareness is in the universities...... and you can only do so by planting trees and flowers so that they see the difference between the campus environment to their hometown.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinasaekp3rem: 2:48pm On Sep 19, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:

Keeping the surrounding clean is a great thing to do. But most importantly planting trees, grass and flowers to transform the entire environment into a true campus feel is a begging issue in our higher institutions. We must teach young people that a conducive environment is just as important as the building itself. The best place to impact that awareness is in the universities...... and you can only do so by planting trees and flowers so that they see the difference between the campus environment to their hometown.

I am Chinemerem Emmanuel Okpan, a young and cool dude. I am Hiv positive and need a relationship. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) ... (696) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.