Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (270) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1778307 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 3:01pm On Oct 01, 2014
passion007: ^ It's 'Abakpa' rather than 'Agbakpa'.
You need to get the spelling right so we don't mistake you for ndiofe.

Yes, Enugu has her fair share of slums. With rural-urban migration, it is inevitable that such slums will crop up to cater to immigrating persons who want accommodation on the cheap.
Abakpa is a village of the Nike people, and the trouble with such land is that it is owned piece by piece, square metre by square metre. As such, any Govt that attempts to raze the slum must be ready to spare no expense. To put things in perspective, when houses were demolished around Ozalla to give way for the Ozalla-Udi Highway, our neighbour's grandma was paid N3.5m to offset her expenses. Now, Abakpa is not on the outskirts but rather it sits on a choice area bordered by New Haven, Trans Ekulu, and is in fact the home of the 82 Division Army HQ. That's a lot of value in real estate.
Theroretically, I support that the place be razed and rebuilt, but can our government do that? The cost of buying back the land alone is daunting. Now add that to the cost of relocating the myriad of persons who own land there, even if such land is no larger than a square metre. And then the cost of rebuilding. Plus, the governor must be ready to wear the toga of "Heartless and Elitist". Abakpa is home to very many persons. It is probably the densest part of Enugu. Considering these, I think it is safer not to raze the area. The Gynecologists have a saying about some tumors : " if it's not symptomatic, leave it alone!"

Now I see you are a doctor! No wonder you have such excellent analytic mind! wink

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2014
cjrane:

Now I see you are a doctor! No wonder you have such excellent analytic mind! wink

Heh heh heh
Cjrane nwannem o.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 4:15pm On Oct 01, 2014
Maiduguri and Kano particularly offer a way of dealing and upgrading slums without bulldozing the entire place. The residents must work with the state town planners to mark out where standard streets must pass through. Any structures encroaching on the right of way once the streets are marked out have to go down. That way, you only take down structures that absolutely have to give way for the streets to be well connected into the neighborhoods.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of open spaces before and after Elim Federal housing which are seriously being converted into another Abakpa.(Albeit with newer buildings). My fear is that if the State government does not enforce a minimum distance which every building must steer-away from the new Enugu-Opi road, that road may soon get so choked up from the rapid pace people have been encroaching on the road to build up houses and shops. Houses along that road must have the same minimum distance away from the road accorded to federal highways so that in the future,it can be comfortably dualized without knocking down peoples houses as the area continues to develop rapidly.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 4:26pm On Oct 01, 2014
Here is the Video.
Abakpa is pretty clean but i am not really confortable with its buildings.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=muixVKeZ7Ow&list=97DEEAC9313A0847&gl=NG&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 6:13pm On Oct 01, 2014
I've seen the video.
The Joe Chukwu guy is a good photographer; the soft background music mollified me in so many ways. And the video was anticlimactic, ending much less dreadfully than it began. Also at 5.20 or thereabouts where the young tired schoolgirl returning home after a busy day at school pauses to help a handicapped man retrieve something ---that was my best scene, but I digress.

Joe Chukwu knows the nooks and crannies of Abakpa sha. From Last Bus stop, he still waka pass Holy Cross still dey enter inside inside. Ihe onye cho k'ofuu.
Heh heh heh.

Abakpa appears to be remediable though. Cjrane's suggestion is likely the best option. There are enough open spaces in the early scenes of the clip through which inner roads can run without much demolition.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 6:30pm On Oct 01, 2014
There are portions of Abakpa in the video (from 05:00 to the end of the youtube vid) that are actually ok. Just plant flowers, contrut new roads,ban people from trading in their homes, ban street trading, build mini markets and corner shops in every street and you have a standerd estate anyone can be proud of.

Meanwhile here is a video of the real Enugu. I am proud of this City grin grin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUP9U2Gj3-Q&itct=CDUQpDAYAiITCKjTmZb5i8ECFQecqgodqRAA2FITZW51Z3Ugc3RhdGUgbmlnZXJpYQ%3D%3D&client=mv-google&hl=en-GB&gl=NG

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by B2mario(m): 6:57pm On Oct 01, 2014
spodathug: Please can somebody pls help me make list of largest igbo cities by population and wide land area of development because I am in a deep argument now with someone about owerri and umuahia which is more developed and large. Pls brothers and sisters in this thread help me out with the above list and clarify me on owerri and umuahia,if possible let's debate about both cities. Thank you

Owerri is far larger than umuahia both in population and landmass, but in city ranking they normally put Umuahia ahead of Owerri of which i don't know where they got the figure from.

The 4 largest cities in SE according to population and area covered are:
1. Aba, over 1million population.
2. Enugu, close to 800,000
3. Onitsha, 750,000
4. Owerri, 500,000

umuahia is coming up both cannot be compared with the 4 mentioned above, but i think it ranks 5th in SE.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:05pm On Oct 01, 2014
[quote author=B2mario]
Owerri is far larger than umuahia both in population and landmass, but in city ranking they normally put Umuahia ahead of Owerri of which i don't know where they got the figure from.

The 4 largest cities in SE according to population and area covered are:
1. Aba, over 1million population.
2. Enugu, close to 800,000
3. Onitsha, 750,000
4. Owerri, 500,000

umuahia is coming up both cannot be compared with the 4 mentioned above, but i think it ranks 5th in SE.

Ofe Owerri inspired rating....lol
Abeg,exclude Omanbala when you do that your ratings because we dont wanna be part of your madness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HarmLessAkpi: 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2014
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HarmLessAkpi: 9:16pm On Oct 01, 2014
OdenigboAroli: .
Abeg shift comot for road.

Who are the we?

Only you and chino?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by B2mario(m): 10:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
HarmLessAkpi: Abeg shift comot for road.

Who are the we?

Only you and chino?
My brother 100thanks for you.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
HarmLessAkpi: Abeg shift comot for road.

Who are the we?

Only you and chino?

Do I know u,fool ?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HarmLessAkpi: 12:11am On Oct 02, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Do I know u,fool ?
and who the fvck are you?
I said you should shift comot for road.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:30am On Oct 02, 2014
What is wrong with the picture below?

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:33am On Oct 02, 2014
The Billante bridge is experiencing traffic jams every morning and evening. We need a second major entrance into Trans Ekulu Enugu.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:37am On Oct 02, 2014
So many workers are still in our secretariat complex, putting finishing touches to the magnificent structures. I will get closer next time. This is a high quality project being delivered.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2014
Again. .....

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Francis5: 9:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
Unlike Anambra, nearly all the photos shown here are clean. And this is 250+ pages. Enugu adigo nma
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oneeast3: 9:55pm On Oct 02, 2014
Keep deceiving yourself. Hope these are clean pix as seen here.. cheesy cheesy

Francis5: Unlike Anambra, nearly all the photos shown here are clean. And this is 250+ pages. Enugu adigo nma
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 02, 2014
spyder880: What is wrong with the picture below?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1750483_20140929154520_jpeg3c42e4b6800adb6c079ac37722b08774

This highway needs re-construction, at least from Abakpa junction to New market junction. It's a federal highway but the city has engulfed it.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:03am On Oct 03, 2014
Ok, let's see how this goes...google earth pictures of enugu and some suburbs of enugu... cheesy
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:08am On Oct 03, 2014
New airport terminal

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 03, 2014
Airport road with the on-going reconstruction of the flyover,

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:16am On Oct 03, 2014
The reconstructed road at naira triangle, enugu-ph expressway, adjoining abakaliki road.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:19am On Oct 03, 2014
This should be the site of the centenary city.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:23am On Oct 03, 2014
Uwani.
Ogui.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 03, 2014
The structures looking like buttons are the secretariat under construction. To the left is a structure like fan, that's coal city gardens; first estate built during chime's first term.

In the fourth pic, notice the white structure to the left of the coal city gardens, that's the polo mall.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:32am On Oct 03, 2014
The polo mall in closer view.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:36am On Oct 03, 2014
wink
Well planned.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:43am On Oct 03, 2014
Abakpa, the most densely populated part of Enugu. Home of ruffians grin

In the third pic, the major road leading out of Nike is the new highway been constructed by Enugu state govt, at finishing touches stage. To the left, the road leads to nsukka, and shortens the distance, while to the right, it leads to Abakpa nike. Along the road, to the left, notice some structures on both sides of the road, those are Elim estate, vivyain estate and Nigerian communication commission zonal headquarter.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:54am On Oct 03, 2014
A closer view of the road and the structures mentioned ealier.

The red roof: elim estate
The blue roof: nigeria communication commission zonal headquarter.
The gray roof: vivyain estate.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:01am On Oct 03, 2014
cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (696) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.