Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (283) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1778336 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 8:42pm On Oct 24, 2014
Ikengawo:
We need another Iine in enugu asap! In only a few months it has surpassed the almost century old kano. With more options it will surpass Lagos. Look at the stats for sw states. This tells you factually that igbos are the bread and butter of aviation in nigeria

Bros, no talk am loud oo before them go close the airport kpata kpata. grin grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by vanbonattel: 7:31am On Oct 25, 2014
is this not the state where them dey dash kia Picanto to every girl wey pass in front of government house? grin

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by lyntiffany(f): 9:08am On Oct 25, 2014
vanbonattel:
is this not the state where them dey dash kia Picanto to every girl wey pass in front of government house? grin
which is an achievement. If you don't know how to spread your mouth in a better way mbok just STFU

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 1:37pm On Oct 25, 2014
spyder880:
Breezing down O'connor road. ....

While on visit to the USA, when Americans asked me the difference between Nigeria and America infrastructure wise, they are surprised when i say NONE!
Because everything in America was in Nigeria at some time, but had collapsed. America builds her infrastructure just once, then continues to maintain and upgrade it. Nigeria will build her infrastructure, then allow it to collapse and then starts re-building the same thing from the scratch again! Imagine the billions of dollars used to rehabilitate roads as Enugu-PH roads because they were neglected to completely collapse and then had to be re-done from the scratch.So we are stuck in rebuilding roads which were already built in the 1960s and 1970s without aggressively adding new ones or massively upgrading the roads with more lanes and flyovers to make commute easier.In comparison, the roads the Americans built in 1960 is still being used and maintained,while many of such roads have already been upgraded into expressways with flyovers to make connection with other roads easier.

Thus, I am glad that maintenance culture is top notch in Enugu. The road gutters, roadmarks and street signs,the street lights and traffic lights are constantly being maintained to serve their functions. True to God, Enugu Akwulogo!!!
God bless Sullivan Chime for having such great vision which is uncommon among political leaders in Nigeria.

........but that ugly road median again! We need to do something about planting aesthetic trees and flowers in our road medians or simply cover the median with concrete if we don't have time for flowers or we think flowers may not thrive on such roads. Leaving them unsightly with over grown bush does not speak well of the new functional world class city Enugu is fast becoming.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 25, 2014
^^
I agree that Nigerian governments (at all levels) should imbibe the spirit of maintenance culture.

But those American roads (inter-state freeways) built during the 1950s by President Eisenhower, need upgrading and the additional of High Speed Rail.
In fact, the American Society of Engineers estimates that the US needs $2 trillion to bring her infrastructure up to the standard of Western Europe, SE Asia, and the Middle East.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 4:06pm On Oct 25, 2014
CFCfan:
^^
I agree that Nigerian governments (at all levels) should imbibe the spirit of maintenance culture.

But those American roads (inter-state freeways) built during the 1950s by President Eisenhower, need upgrading and the additional of High Speed Rail.
In fact, the American Society of Engineers estimates that the US needs $2 trillion to bring her infrastructure up to the standard of Western Europe, SE Asia, and the Middle East.

Absolutely bro. American infrastructure need serious upgrading.

Actually, my focus was on their great culture of maintenance. Once they tar a road, even if it is a street, as soon as pot holes appear, they will quickly patch them up so that the street does not break down to the point that they need to award a complete rebuilding of the entire street at a cost similar to what it would cost to tar brand new streets.

That is what i see in Sullivan's approach. He builds what he can afford to the highest quality, and more importantly maintain them so that the achievements are not lost.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by rdokoye: 4:08pm On Oct 25, 2014
cjrane:

While on visit to the USA, when Americans asked me the difference between Nigeria and America infrastructure wise, they are surprised when i say NONE!
Because everything in America was in Nigeria at some time, but had collapsed. America builds her infrastructure just once, then continues to maintain and upgrade it. Nigeria will build her infrastructure, then allow it to collapse and then starts re-building the same thing from the scratch again! Imagine the billions of dollars used to rehabilitate roads as Enugu-PH roads because they were neglected to completely collapse and then had to be re-done from the scratch.So we are stuck in rebuilding roads which were already built in the 1960s and 1970s without aggressively adding new ones or massively upgrading the roads with more lanes and flyovers to make commute easier.In comparison, the roads the Americans built in 1960 is still being used and maintained,while many of such roads have already been upgraded into expressways with flyovers to make connection with other roads easier.

Thus, I am glad that maintenance culture is top notch in Enugu. The road gutters, roadmarks and street signs,the street lights and traffic lights are constantly being maintained to serve their functions. True to God, Enugu Akwulogo!!!
God bless Sullivan Chime for having such great vision which is uncommon among political leaders in Nigeria.

........but that ugly road median again! We need to do something about planting aesthetic trees and flowers in our road medians or simply cover the median with concrete if we don't have time for flowers or we think flowers may not thrive on such roads. Leaving them unsightly with over grown bush does not speak well of the new functional world class city Enugu is fast becoming.

Maintenance requires continuity and political stability, something Nigeria has NEVER had, up until the year 1999.

Nigeria is more stable today than it has ever been, this increases the chance of the new administration (in 2015) coming in and continuing on from where the previous administration left off.

Many Nigerians have a knack for being myopic, because they choose to look at the country from one perspective, without considering the facts.

Such as, that the country was ruled by dictators for almost 40 years, these dictators were undereducated, none of these dictators continued on from where the previous administrations left off, none of these dictators were Nigerian in the true sense, as they were all ethnic bigots, and none of these dictators built any real lasting infrastructure in the country during their tenure.

That’s why Nigeria today is so far behind where it should be.

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Yeske2(m): 4:36pm On Oct 25, 2014
I hope no native of Enugu state claims Enugu as it belongs to us all, Enugu a togbu gom. Was there last weekend and boy o boy, see clean well laid streets with street light o. @Spyder, be careful

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:42pm On Oct 25, 2014
Yeske2:
I hope no native of Enugu state claims Enugu as it belongs to us all, Enugu a togbu gom. Was there last weekend and boy o boy, see clean well laid streets with street light o. @Spyder, be careful

grin I will be saying it again, Enugu belongs to all of us bro grin

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 8:13pm On Oct 25, 2014
spyder880:
This is the Ogui road/Ebeano tunnel/artisan roundabout, this afternoon.

Oga mi spyder,
the next stage will be to drive around these roads and make a video to post on youtube like this one here. So that so of us will use what we see as Christmas present for our eyes! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2krrOJ3Yfw

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Yeske2(m): 7:47am On Oct 26, 2014
spyder880:

grin I will be saying it again, Enugu belongs to all of us bro grin
I for just sue you if you had said otherwise.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 2:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
New Enugu Secretariat. Can they give this project a befitting finishing touches.

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 2:34pm On Oct 26, 2014
biafrandream:
New Enugu Secretariat. Can they give this project a befitting finishing touches.

Sadly, its going to be yet another Green- White - Green building in Nigeria.

I wish they were a little more creative in choosing the exterior color as they did choosing the building style and shape.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 3:14pm On Oct 26, 2014
cjrane:

I wish they were a little more creative in choosing the exterior color as they did choosing the building style and shape.

another governor can repaint it
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 3:30pm On Oct 26, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

another governor can repaint it

What for?
Do you know how much it costs to repaint such buildings, not even minding the disruption to the civil service such action would cause?

I think we should just manage whatever outcome we get with the painting. At least structurally, the building is beautiful.

Same as how the inside of the renovated AIIA was painted bright pink. Have we not forgotten about that and moved on?

But seriously ooo, Our leaders need to learn how public buildings are painted abroad and stop using this pink stuff.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 4:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
cjrane:

I passionately hate that Islamic green white green colour. The project is being handled by boko haram brothers, that is why they choose to paint their colour. When our beloved country, Biafra comes, we will repaint it undecided undecided undecided

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 26, 2014
biafrandream:

I passionately hate that Islamic green white green colour. The project is being handled by boko haram brothers, that is why they choose to paint their colour. When our beloved country, Biafra comes, we will repaint it undecided undecided undecided
you're kidding, right?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by millionaireman: 11:45pm On Oct 26, 2014
biafrandream:

Bros, no talk am loud oo before them go close the airport kpata kpata. grin grin
Who be dem that can close the airport? Time for military dictatorship don pass for Nigeria. If at least 70% of Igbos abroad use Enugu International, before long it may chase Abuja numbers in passenger usage.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:01pm On Oct 27, 2014
biafrandream:

I think this is only half of the complex, in the picture we are seeing only the A and B complexes of the secretariat. This picture looks as if it was taken from the top of complex C? Am I right? cheesy
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 4:28pm On Oct 27, 2014
basilo101:

my dear, dat is not a PG school. Its equivalent to Peter Odili PG hall in Nsukka campus. I hav told u d activities that take place at PG skul and its not among wat u mentioned. Check daily sun of October 22, u will see UNN PG admission list there. u will discover that all department both nsk and enugu are there and it was signed by the secretary, school of post graduate studies UNN whose office is at the PG school in Nsukka campus. And by the way, my name is on the list. We all hustled to submit forms and write aptitude test at Nsk main campus with enugu based departments (sometimes dey collect all the forms at enugu before bringing them to the PG skul), there is no office in UNEC that process and offer admission to postgraduates. Stop this blind argument
that's nice the super lion, congratulation! On your admission, its not easy being a lion. It seems you are an academic of the school.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 6:28pm On Oct 27, 2014
spyder880:

I think this is only half of the complex, in the picture we are seeing only the A and B complexes of the secretariat. This picture looks as if it was taken from the top of complex C? Am I right? cheesy

Spyder880, you may be right. There were actually many of those pictures where I downloaded this one. The pictures seemed to have been taken originally by one of the contractors because he wrote in Arabic on his Facebook wall.

Man, it's a massive project.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 7:14pm On Oct 27, 2014
biafrandream:

^^^As they're about finishing this project, shouldn't the landscaping and planting of trees have started already? See what Akpabio is doing at the tropicana entertainment centre Uyo; works are still on-going there, yet they've already started beautifying the environment in preparation for when the works are finished!

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jazzydee: 7:05pm On Oct 29, 2014
Shocking: How Gov. Chime Was Publicly Disgraced At PDP Secretariat In Abuja

Enugu State Governor, Sullivan Chime, was given a cold shoulder at the national secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Tuesday, leading to his storming out of the party secretariat in anger. The governor, who was said to have been at the party’s secretariat to obtain his nomination form for senatorial contest, made atte
Source: http://.com.ng/index.php/political-news/item/875-shocking-how-gov-chime-was-publicly-disgraced-at-pdp-secretariat-in-abuja
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 2:43am On Oct 30, 2014
cjrane:

[size=15pt]Come to think of it, it may not cost up to N200,000 naira to pay horticulturists to plant aesthetic flowers and trees along the median of Chime avenue to reproduce the likeness in the picture.If our amiable governor is listening as some of you have alluded, please make Chime avenue median look like the median in the picture!

This will truly be a spectacular feat for Enugu to have a major road like Chime avenue resemble an "oyibo" man's road. Gov. Chime please give this to us as your parting gift to crown your legendary transformation of the coal city.
[/size]

Here are some nice roads median which could be used as a template to transform the Chime Avenue median and others in Enugu.
One great thing is that there are gaps in the median for pedestrians to cross the street without stepping in the median as in the 2nd picture.
I wish someone close to the governor will see this and push to begin the transformation before the action governor Chime finally leave the Lion building next year.

Cultivating a culture of planting aesthetic palm trees along Enugu major roads and even inside the Polo Park mall parking lot will greatly transform the feel of the Enugu city. South East Nigeria is one region where the people don't care about creating a conducive environment with aesthetic flowers, even though the our weather supports luxuriant plants growth. Instead, our weather now supports wild bush growing everywhere in all our open spaces, roundabouts and road median.
We need men who have the urge to build the right physical structures and roads, but most importantly value the need for landscaping to change the feel of our environment.

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 2:56am On Oct 30, 2014
^^^Any reason why you didn't say which city those pics were taken in? That could be anywhere!!

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 10:57am On Oct 30, 2014
IGBOSON1:
^^^Any reason why you didn't say which city those pics were taken in? That could be anywhere!!
Judging from the plate numbers, it appears not to be Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 12:19pm On Oct 31, 2014
The efforts to complete the Enugu state secretariat complexes is ongoing this morning.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 1:03pm On Oct 31, 2014
spyder880:
The efforts to complete the Enugu state secretariat complexes is ongoing this morning.

Great that Sullivan is determined to make this building functional before he leaves office or it would end up exactly like the abandoned International conference center if he hopes on someone else to finish it.

Oremi, thank you for the median in your pictures. It buttresses the point that planting flowers and trees truly is part of development not just build the roads alone.The talk about modernizing and beautifying Enugu is a very welcome one that warms my heart. Imagine if the first picture of Enugu had been adorned with trees as in the second picture. It would have been a spectacular sight!
I think we should have one or two water fountain roundabouts in Enugu. Since Enugu roundabout already have great sculptural works of art, The smaller sprinklers at the periphery of the roundabouts make more sense for Enugu roundabouts than the big pump at the middle of the roundabouts showed in the picture. It's one of those things that give a great feel to a city. The sculptures in our roundabouts should be made more breath taking with water fountains around the base of the art work. Better still, more roundabouts should be constructed and fitted with a water fountain.
What do you guys think?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 1:16pm On Oct 31, 2014
Well decorated Roundabouts along with medians with flowers and trees offer a great ways to showcase a city than merely having traffic lights at intersections.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:23pm On Oct 31, 2014
For recent pictures of the abandoned Enugu conference centre as at today, click this link cheesy http://amazingviewpoints..com/
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 31, 2014
spyder880:
For recent pictures of the abandoned Enugu conference centre as at today, click this link cheesy http://amazingviewpoints..com/
wow!!! Spyder has his blog now cheesy That's lovely.

By the way, is there on going work at the conference centre?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 11:56pm On Oct 31, 2014
Oga,
Spyder, i will be coming to your blog o!

By the way, i decided to post the picture to help enrich our thread.

I hope the in coming administration will complete and put this powerful edifice to use. Imagine all the opportunities of conference tourism, seminars, AGM etc which could have held in Enugu if this edifice were completed! I love Sullivan for his effort to transform Enugu state, but i think he took his disdain for Chimaroke a little too far. You should support good ideas for your state, even if it were originated by your political foe.

I cannot imagine Obiano abandoning the Onitsha & Agulu hotels because Obi who had left his party started it. Such attitude amount to a disservice to the people of the state that voted you into power and whom you had sworn to serve.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (696) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.