Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (517) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1778736 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PDPGuy: 6:42am On Nov 26, 2017
^^
That airport may become less viable whenever Anambra’s airport city gets going. And if the FG continues to neglect the AIIA, and allows facilities there to rot, the likes of Ethiopian (or even Emirates) may decide to move their SE operations to Umueri

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAgbalajob: 3:13pm On Nov 28, 2017
PDPGuy:
^^
That airport may become less viable whenever Anambra’s airport city gets going. And if the FG continues to neglect the AIIA, and allows facilities there to rot, the likes of Ethiopian (or even Emirates) may decide to move their SE operations to Umueri
That is if our people patronize the airport as they have snubbed enugu airport
Funny enough many people in SE and Igbos in diaspora are still unaware that international travels take place originating from Enugu or ending in Enugu. Many SE based business people still take the risk of carrying money to Lagos when flying to China instead of using the nearer Enugu international airport.

Our diaspora Igbos are even more hilarious. I have seen too many people using Ethiopian airline from Europe or America fly to Abuja or Lagos. Then board overnight bus with their families to travel to Enugu or somewhere in the SE. grin grin grin imagine the risk they expose those children to with very long road travels. Apart from robbery and bad roads; most of them experience untold abuse when their vehicles break down in the middle of nowhere. Then they make vlogs complaining about rough roads, police harrassment at checkpoints and other funny troubles they brought on themselves for lack of knowledge. grin

Some of our people are so outdated with developments in Nigeria that its not even funny.

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 5:39pm On Nov 28, 2017
ChimaAgbalajob:

Funny enough many people in SE and Igbos in diaspora are still unaware that international travels take place originating from Enugu or ending in Enugu. Many SE based business people still take the risk of carrying money to Lagos when flying to China instead of using the nearer Enugu international airport.

Our diaspora Igbos are even more hilarious. I have seen too many people using Ethiopian airline from Europe or America fly to Abuja or Lagos. Then board overnight bus with their families to travel to Enugu or somewhere in the SE. grin grin grin imagine the risk they expose those children to with very long road travels. Apart from robbery and bad roads; most of them experience untold abuse when their vehicles break down in the middle of nowhere. Then they make vlogs complaining about rough roads, police harrassment at checkpoints and other funny troubles they brought on themselves for lack of knowledge. grin

Some of our people are so outdated with developments in Nigeria that its not even funny.

Our people have a very very funny mentality that Lagos makes them "civilized" or more "respectable" than anywhere in the SE. even if they live in a rat hole in Lagos grin

I say this as someone who is living in Lagos and see what our people go through there. The smart ones usually find a way to build a decent business for themselves in the SE than running around in Lagos living like a rat being chased around. i have seen a few smart girls set up hair dressing and braiding saloons in Obosi and Aba, than remain jobless and working as maid servants in Mama-put in Lagos. On the other hand, I have seen the follish ones living in Makoko slums in Lagos claiming to be somewhat "better off" than people living in GRA or independence layout enugu!!! On what grounds bikonu?

Even those Ebonyi youths selling pure water in Lagos traffic see themselves as "better' than those with decent market shops and earning a decent living as a merchant in Abakaliki.

In the same vein, i can see our people thinking that arriving or leaving the country through Lagos or Abuja somehow makes them "higher or superior" than arriving or leaving in Enugu. The illiterate mentality is real and just needs to be addressed.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PDPGuy: 9:46am On Nov 29, 2017
ChimaAgbalajob:

Lol

In addition to your reasons, I also think that ticket prices are another reason why most Igbo diasporas prefer flying to Lagos or Abuja.

The relatively expensive ticket to Enugu may be due to the fact that the airport still lacks some critical safety infrastructure. Hence, Ethiopian Airlines would want to guarantee that they have enough money in the bank in the event of something terrible happening to their aircraft.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by shaibu123: 10:24am On Nov 29, 2017
ChimaAgbalajob:

The reason why people fly to lagos or Abuja is the ticket price. For example from any European country to Enugu will cost between €900-€1200,why lagos or Abuja can sometimes go as cheap as €398 return ticket. So if you have a family of 2 adults and 3 kids flying to Enugu it Will cost you €4900 but if you choose to fly to lagos or Abuja it will cost you €2500 on average. So when you put 2 and 1 together you will understand. Enugu Airport has to undergo serious rehabilitation in every area to allow for more traffic from other airlines. And this will cause competition between the airlines. At the moment Ethiopian airlines decides the price,no competition.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OyiboUgbo04: 12:01am On Dec 03, 2017
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 2:15am On Dec 03, 2017
shaibu123:
The reason why people fly to lagos or Abuja is the ticket price. For example from any European country to Enugu will cost between €900-€1200,why lagos or Abuja can sometimes go as cheap as €398 return ticket. So if you have a family of 2 adults and 3 kids flying to Enugu it Will cost you €4900 but if you choose to fly to lagos or Abuja it will cost you €2500 on average. So when you put 2 and 1 together you will understand. Enugu Airport has to undergo serious rehabilitation in every area to allow for more traffic from other airlines. And this will cause competition between the airlines. At the moment Ethiopian airlines decides the price,no competition.

This is not true.
I have flown from Washington DC to Enugu via Addis Ababa and my husband also flew the same day from Washington to Lagos via Addis Ababa and we both paid $1200 for the round trip regarless if we were landing in Enugu or Lagos. We flew in the same flight until we got to Addis Ababa and he joined the plane going to Lagos and i joined the plane going to Enugu. Mind you we started our journey from New Orleans using United Airways which was part of the total ticket.
I don't know where the information that flying to Enugu costs more, except this is something they do to people purchasing tickets locally that are not doing so through Ethiopian Airline website or their office in Polo Park Mall. I also know it is harder to purchase tickets on Expedia and other travel sites since Ethiopian airline wants you to purchase from their site only and they will still call you to confirm the flight booking.

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PDPGuy: 3:01am On Dec 03, 2017
^^
For me, I was able to book an Ethiopian Airlines ticket through a third-party travel site, from LAX to Lagos, and it cost under $1,000.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 4:35am On Dec 03, 2017
PDPGuy:
^^
For me, I was able to book an Ethiopian Airlines ticket through a third-party travel site, from LAX to Lagos, and it cost under $1,000.

Ticket prices fluctuate based on the season.

If you try to travel from USA now, the ticket price is always more than $2000 per adult because it's Christmas. Also all flights into Nigeria from now until December 31st, will be fully booked but the plane will be almost empty on returning. The reverse will begin from January 1st when outgoing flights are fully booked while incoming are almost empty.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 03, 2017
I quite enjoy travelling from Enugu with Ethiopian air. My return ticket to London cost me 250k, a bargain considering the fact i bought it a week to my travel date. The flew the dreamliner from Enugu on my outbound flight and it was such a smooth journey. The back half of the plane was empty though which made me wonder if we had enough sustained year round demand for international flights in Enugu.
Ps. Half of the travelers were traders not particularly from Enugu, on their way to China!

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:53am On Dec 03, 2017
On the other hand the return leg of my journeys from Enugu are the only down side, the bad functionality of the airport makes the whole process from landing to walking out the airport a nightmare. Immigration ques are insane, only one bus to transport passengers from tarmac to terminal, irritating staff looking for money, long waiting times for luggage etc.
Also pray they Ethiopian air dont fly a small plane like their Boeing 767-300 from addis to Enugu because the passengers are usually unruly and will add up to the stress.

Ps the airport in Ethiopia is amazing with a very nice duty free, different restaurants and ethiopian antique shops. Id recommend

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:16pm On Dec 03, 2017
View of Bisalla Rd. from Adig suites

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by shaibu123: 2:53am On Dec 06, 2017
OreMI22:

This is not true.
I have flown from Washington DC to Enugu via Addis Ababa and my husband also flew the same day from Washington to Lagos via Addis Ababa and we both paid $1200 for the round trip regarless if we were landing in Enugu or Lagos. We flew in the same flight until we got to Addis Ababa and he joined the plane going to Lagos and i joined the plane going to Enugu. Mind you we started our journey from New Orleans using United Airways which was part of the total ticket.
I don't know where the information that flying to Enugu costs more, except this is something they do to people purchasing tickets locally that are not doing so through Ethiopian Airline website or their office in Polo Park Mall. I also know it is harder to purchase tickets on Expedia and other travel sites since Ethiopian airline wants you to purchase from their site only and they will still call you to confirm the flight booking.

Google is very good.End of discussion

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:58am On Dec 08, 2017
Work has continued in the new road construction from Nenwe to Nomeh Unateze up till Nara in Nkanu East of Enugu state.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:00am On Dec 08, 2017
Rural development works in Enugu state.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:03am On Dec 08, 2017
We remain ever grateful for the efforts of Ike Ekweremmadu, the senatoe representing Enugu state, he is the best senator in Nigeria. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by mangood74: 11:31am On Dec 08, 2017
ENUGU ANYI NICE AND EASY DECEMBER HERE I COME
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by SoNature(m): 12:14pm On Dec 08, 2017
Ndi Igbo are busy shouting restructuring while south east governors are wasting time. South East governors should gear their efforts towards industrialization.

Our IGR is poorest in the south yet we are shouting restructuring up and down. The north is getting ready for it by establishing industries.

South West and some parts of South South have massive industries, which explains why their IGR is biggest in the south. The east seems to be the only region taking first position from behind.

And Okorocha is busy moulding statues and kicking against restructuring.

The biggest calamity of South east is brain drain!

If Nigeria is restructured today, it's going to take the east a long time to stabilize because our states depend largely on federal allocation.

https://www.nairaland.com/4221298/kano-buhari-visits-oil-rice.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 12:53pm On Dec 08, 2017
spyder880:
Work has continued in the new road construction from Nenwe to Nomeh Unateze up till Nara in Nkanu East of Enugu state.
The quality of the work is topnotch... that's one thing I love about Enugu state, building of legacy infrastructures, and not in the league of states that hurriedly teds and pour coal tar on roads in the guise of constructing so many roads.
Thanks so much Ikeoha (Ekweremadu) for this intervention, it's indeed special.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by rdokoye: 1:03pm On Dec 08, 2017
SoNature:
Ndi Igbo are busy shouting restructuring while south east governors are wasting time. South East governors should gear their efforts towards industrialization.

Our IGR is poorest in the south yet we are shouting restructuring up and down. The north is getting ready for it by establishing industries.

South West and some parts of South South have massive industries, which explains why their IGR is biggest in the south. The east seems to be the only region taking first position from behind.

And Okorocha is busy moulding statues and kicking against restructuring.

The biggest calamity of South east is brain drain!

If Nigeria is restructured today, it's going to take the east a long time to stabilize because our states depend largely on federal allocation.

https://www.nairaland.com/4221298/kano-buhari-visits-oil-rice.

The North, with one of the highest poverty rates on earth, the highest number of children out of school, and an insurgency waging in it, is preparing for something, according to you?

the South-East is the only region with any real industrial might, all the other regions have foreign industries operating in them, so what benefit is that to the people, outside of tax revenue and perpetual dependency.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by SoNature(m): 1:09pm On Dec 08, 2017
rdokoye:

The North, with one of the highest poverty rates on earth, the highest number of children out of school, and an insurgency waging in it, is preparing for something, according to you?

the South-East is the only region with any real industrial might, all the other regions have foreign industries operating in them, so what benefit is that to the people, outside of tax revenue and perpetual dependency.

This sort of argument can never help our people! Nobody is an island. Even in the US, there are Asian companies creating jobs and paying taxes. Please stop this senseless Nairaland argument...it won't take us anywhere. A man whose house is in trouble should not be bragging!

Ogwu ka oram na onu!

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by legitnow: 2:00pm On Dec 08, 2017
Any update on the International airport?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 08, 2017
The airport remains a mystery. Outer work seems to be done and completed.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by whirlwind7(m): 8:45pm On Dec 08, 2017
spyder880:

That's cool. This is one of the roads that leads to your village, right?
About time too! Seem like your complains have finally been heard! cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:05pm On Dec 08, 2017
whirlwind7:

That's cool. This is one of the roads that leads to your village, right?
About time too! Seem like your complains have finally been heard! cheesy

Through my whole town, even passing so close to this my house grin

Merry Christmas in advance everyone grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Cjrane2: 9:10pm On Dec 08, 2017
spyder880:

Through my whole town, even passing so close to this my house grin

Merry Christmas in advance everyone grin

This is an Excellent house, but the windows are always too small. I don't why the make such designs?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:18pm On Dec 08, 2017
Cjrane2:

This is an Excellent house, but the windows are always too small. I don't why the make such designs?

Choice my brother, for the house to have a different look from the normal boring square shaped windows in my father's old house, I arranged a double formation to make it wider and dropped the level take the windows longer in length. This will increase airflow.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by rdokoye: 11:35pm On Dec 08, 2017
SoNature:

This sort of argument can never help our people! Nobody is an island. Even in the US, there are Asian companies creating jobs and paying taxes. Please stop this senseless Nairaland argument...it won't take us anywhere. A man whose house is in trouble should not be bragging!

Ogwu ka oram na onu!

It's not an argument, it's facts. Northern Nigeria is one of the poorest regions on earth; as a region, it's not preparing for anything, and would become a global humanitarian case, in the event that Nigeria were to split up.

How many people is that rice mill going to employ? What about the millions of beggars roaming the Northern streets? The children hooked on glue? The terrorists, constantly destroying what limited infrastructure that exists in that region? What about the ridiculously low literacy rate? The university admission rates? There are more University graduates in Imo State than in every state in the North combined? Education is the foundation of Western capitalist, and the North is currently found wanting in that department.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by legitnow: 11:49pm On Dec 08, 2017
This is a death trap.

All vehicles on this route should be forced to slow down some miles away before approaching that bend.

Speed bumps and various other measures to slow dem down until they cant miss the bend.

Further, a bend like dat should be a one way street/traffic.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 5:03am On Dec 09, 2017
legitnow:
This is a death trap.

All vehicles on this route should be forced to slow down some miles away before approaching that bend.

Speed bumps and various other measures to slow dem down until they cant miss the bend.

Gbam!

Since there is no hill or valley or River they were avoiding to snake the road dangerously like that.

You sometimes worry about the type of engineers designing state highways in Nigeria.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 5:24am On Dec 09, 2017
legitnow:
This is a death trap.

ChimaAdeoye:

Gbam!

Since there is no hill or valley or River they were avoiding to snake the road dangerously like that.

You sometimes worry about the type of engineers designing state highways in Nigeria.

That sharp bend is well planned. If I had taken the picture from the opposite end of the road, you will see that the spot I stood to take this picture is exactly on the Enugu-Port Harcourt federal highway and we need these bends to slow down any vehicles speeding up towards the express. I also suggest more speed bumps at that point before drivers speed into fast traffic heading to Enugu city.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (514) (515) (516) (517) (518) (519) (520) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.