Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,472 members, 7,801,194 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

Scientists Find "God" Particle! - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Scientists Find "God" Particle! (3303 Views)

Scientists Find Black Hole Spewing Iron, Nickel In Powerful Jets / Scientists Find Gold Particles On Eucalyptus Plants In Australia / Scientists Find Chemicals In Skin That Makes Humans "Invisible" To Mosquito (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Find "God" Particle! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 02, 2012
God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle has been discovered
Scientists 'will say they are 99.99% certain' the particle has been found
Leading physicists have been invited to event - sparking speculation that Higgs boson particle has been found
'God Particle' gives particles that make up atoms their mass

_
Scientists at Cern will announce that the elusive Higgs boson 'God Particle' has been found at a press conference next week, it is believed.
Five leading theoretical physicists have been invited to the event on Wednesday - sparking speculation that the particle has been discovered.
Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider are expected to say they are 99.99 per cent certain it has been found - which is known as 'four sigma' level

The particle accelerator: It is within these tubes that physicists are hunting for the 'God' particle.
_
Peter Higgs, the Edinburgh University emeritus professor of physics that the particle is named after, is among those who have been called to the press conference in Switzerland.

Invite: Peter Higgs, the professor the particle is named after, has been asked to attend the press conference at Cern

The management at Cern want the two teams of scientists to reach the 'five sigma' level of certainty with their results - so they are 99.99995 per cent sure - such is the significance of the results.
Tom Kibble, 79, the emeritus professor of physics at Imperial College London, has also been invited but is unable to attend.
He told the Sunday Times: 'My guess is that is must be a pretty positive result for them to be asking us out there.'
The Higgs boson is regarded as the key to understanding the universe. Physicists say its job is to give the particles that make up atoms their mass.
Without this mass, these particles would zip though the cosmos at the speed of light, unable to bind together to form the atoms that make up everything in the universe, from planets to people.
The collider, housed in an 18-mile tunnel buried deep underground near the French-Swiss border, smashes beams of protons – sub-atomic particles – together at close to the speed of light, recreating the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the Big Bang.

If the physicists’ theory is correct, a few Higgs bosons should be created in every trillion collisions, before rapidly decaying.

An aerial view of the Swiss-French border, indicating the route of the Large Hadron Collider

Inside: The giant project is the most enormous piece of scientific apparatus ever constructed, and is buried 100m beneath the ground
SOURCE
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 02, 2012
When they find the so called "God particle", let them create their own realm! grin
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:09pm On Jul 02, 2012
They should have just asked the Klingons Nicely grin grin

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by JoeBatters: 9:26pm On Jul 02, 2012
All these oyinbo sef, u ppl r lookin for god particle abi!!!, na devil particle una go find, by dat time 'had I known' na wetin u go dey talk. grin
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by mkmyers45(m): 9:36pm On Jul 02, 2012
Nice development...
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jul 02, 2012
God particle is a misnomer. Higgs boson will do.

One more victory for Humanity!!!!!

I hope this will also help in discovering exactly what was pre-BiG B.AN.G

1 Like

Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by adsega(m): 6:48am On Jul 03, 2012
dis oyinbo people self with their unending quest for acquiring knowledge, i fear go destroy something big in dis earth one day
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 03, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: They should have just asked the Klingons Nicely grin grin

_
Klingons drool, Romulans rule!
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by Nebeuwa(m): 9:02pm On Jul 04, 2012
This is BIG NEWS!

Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by nduchucks: 11:18pm On Jul 04, 2012
I will only get excited about this 'god' particle after scientists can tell me how the first such particle originated. When they find the creator of this first particle, then I will be excited for them.

Unfortunately, what these scientists have been looking for recides within they themselves but they will never look there. Freaking Kafiris and Atheists cheesy
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by Nebeuwa(m): 4:10pm On Jul 05, 2012
ndu_chucks: I will only get excited about this 'god' particle after scientists can tell me how the first such particle originated. When they find the creator of this first particle, then I will be excited for them.

Unfortunately, what these scientists have been looking for recides within they themselves but they will never look there. Freaking Kafiris and Atheists cheesy

Finding this particle is may be the biggest scientific discovery of this century. I do not think some of you realize the enormity of this discovery.

The Higgs finding could help us predict how much dark matter is in the universe and the Higgs particle may also offer an answer to how particles acquire mass.
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by Nebeuwa(m): 1:56am On Jul 06, 2012
I think this article should be placed on the homepage. This is big news for the scientific community.

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 16, 2012
ndu_chucks: I will only get excited about this 'god' particle after scientists can tell me how the first such particle originated. When they find the creator of this first particle, then I will be excited for them.

Can't you find it for them?

Bloody hypocrites. When the benefits of that discovery becomes apparent to you, you will be the first to celebrate it.
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:04pm On Jul 16, 2012
Darui:
Can't you find it for them?

Bloody hypocrites. When the benefits of that discovery becomes apparent to you, you will be the first to celebrate it.

The same dunder-head peeps Jesus warned his flock of -Christians! a lying bunch of religious clots tongue
Re: Scientists Find "God" Particle! by oseo1(m): 9:05pm On Jul 29, 2012
i worked on this project and im not an aethist. For me its more about understanding our world than saying where it came from.

(1) (Reply)

How To Download Torrents Easily Using IDM (Pictures) / The World’s Oldest Tortoise Is Still Having Sex Daily Aged 186 / Auroras

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.