Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? (894 Views)

Uzodinma Iweala: 'Beast Of No Nation', Based On Novel By Okonjo-iweala‘s Son / Oscar Winners Based On Books / Are You New To Fairytales And Movies Based On Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? by Aizebioje(m): 6:36pm On Jul 02, 2012
Just thinking aloud!Why does Nollywood not act movies based on Novels/books written by African authors?I mean,being about the biggest movie industry in Africa,they would have an edge don't ya think? The only movie based on a book I know of is Things Fall Apart! With books like The Black Boy,Joys Of Motherhood, The African Child and even p The Man Died! But no!they prefer to depend on their feeble brains...
Another question Is Why Isn't There a re-make of Things Fall Apart? Their so called foreign counter parts do this all the time but NO! This is the only logical thing left to do if they wanna out their Ghanian rivals and maintain their current status! Instead,they keep releasing same old garbage of Abused Themes like royalty,cancer and Love(THE MOST ABUSED).
Now i'm not into acting,directing,producing nd all that but I hope someone who is into the entertainment industry sees this and act quick.FORGIVE THE INCONSISTENCY,I JUST WROTE AS THE THOUGHTS CAME RANDOMLY
Re: Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? by VillageBoi(m): 6:15pm On Jul 03, 2012
Probably because 'Nollywood' isn't a sensible 'place'.
Re: Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? by Briareos(m): 8:37pm On Jul 04, 2012
1. They do not have the infrastructures and equipment to shoot such movies.

2. They are only interested in quick money and they cant understand why they should pay over a million naira to obtain the rights to those books.

3. There are no good scriptwriters who can convert such great works into movie. By the dialogues and grammatical blunders in nolly movies, one can conclude that these people cant even understand the literature books you mentioned. It is no small difference the superiority of Nigeria literature over their movies counterpart.

4. Maybe, it never occured to them.
Re: Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? by dwizy(m): 6:52am On Jul 05, 2012
I was thinking... Do Nollywood producers accept scripts from writers? I have a collection of very fine plays that I believe would met the desires of Nollywood producers.
This is just one one them;;
THE POPE IS ADOPTED, THE CONSPIRACY BEGINS. NIGERIA IS THREATENED BY MERCURIAL ENEMIES. THE POPE IS TO BE MURDERED.......... WHAT'S NEXT

This is a work and concept of MACDOVE MEDIA. Your can contact us on the following addresses if you want to become a member or link/connect us with producers in the NOLLYWOOD MOVIES INDUSTRY. This will surely earn you a great reward...
::::#.
Re: Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? by VillageBoi(m): 8:46am On Jul 05, 2012
@ Briareos... good points but...
Instead of them buying the rights, which really is hardly ever done for books, they should just 'option' the book. It's so much cheaper - or should be, no idea how things are done in Naija/Nollywood.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? by suxes2005(m): 10:03am On Jul 05, 2012
the question you are suppose to ask is
if they do read at all!

Sheyi
Re: Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? by VillageBoi(m): 5:46pm On Jul 05, 2012
suxes2005: the question you are suppose to ask is
if they do read at all!

Sheyi

Hopefully they do read lol. One thing about filmmaking is it's very hard 'teamwork' but fun. And until there is a whole bunch of 'creative' people on the same page Nollywood might just keep on churning out the same stuff.
Re: Why Aren't There Movies Based On Books By Seasoned African Writers? by euee2003: 11:05am On Jul 07, 2012
This is a work and concept of MACDOVE MEDIA. [img]http://www.keyforex.info/g.gif[/img]

(1) (Reply)

Gabriel Afolayan Stars In Elimihe Osezuah’s “first Cause” / Mo’ Abudu To Launch A N2bn TV Channel / 2013-bet-awards-winners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.