Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,485 members, 7,781,453 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:39 PM

Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' (4520 Views)

Two Nigerians Nominated For 2015 Caine Prize For African Writing / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer / Tope Folarin Wins The 2013 Caine Prize For African Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by mukina2: 2:25pm On Jul 03, 2012

Nigerian author, Rotimi Babatunde has won the 2012 Caine prize for African writing with his book titled Bombay Republic.

Babatunde’s book is a tale of a Nigerian soldier fighting the Bombay campaign during World War II. It exposes the exploitative nature of colonialism and the psychology behind the fight for independence

With this feat Rotimi Babatunde join the league of young Nigerian writers that have won the coveted prize in recent years. They include, Heleon Habila, who won the prize in 2001 and EC Osondu in 2009.

The Caine prize which is the 13th in the series is one of Africa’s prestigious awards for literary excellence.

The Chair of Judges for the prize, Bernardine Evaristo MBE, announced Rotimi as the winner of the £10,000 prize at a dinner held Monday evening at the Bodleian Library in Oxford.

According to Evaristo, “Bombay’s Republic vividly describes the story of a Nigerian soldier fighting in the Burma campaign of World War II. It is ambitious, darkly humorous and in soaring, scorching prose exposes the exploitative nature of the colonial project and the psychology of Independence.”

The winner of the Caine Prize will be given the opportunity of taking up a month’s residence at Georgetown University, as a Writer-in-Residence at the Lannan Center for Poetics and Social Practice.

Babatude will also be invited to take part in the Open Book Festival in Cape Town in September 2012 and events hosted by the Museum of African Art in New York in November 2012.

Source

3 Likes

Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by Afam4eva(m): 3:30pm On Jul 03, 2012
Nice one. Congrats Babatunde.
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 03, 2012
What should I say...
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by HyeBits: 3:38pm On Jul 03, 2012
Glad tiding. Congrats Babs.
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by SpiritofOkija(m): 3:39pm On Jul 03, 2012
Add 'Co' to 'Caine'...
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 03, 2012
Spirit of Okija: Add 'Co' to 'Caine'...

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by infofirst(m): 3:47pm On Jul 03, 2012
Congrat Rotimi
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by HyeBits: 3:48pm On Jul 03, 2012
Spirit of Okija: Add 'Co' to 'Caine'...
Co+Caine will no doubt adorn you with the Spirit of Okija. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by superior1: 3:54pm On Jul 03, 2012
Billyonaire: What should I say...

Congratulate him and dont attribute his success to Jonathan

3 Likes

Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by Indexjobs: 3:55pm On Jul 03, 2012
Kudos to you Babatunde Rotimi.
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by DAY12(m): 4:15pm On Jul 03, 2012
Good!
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by yogun(f): 5:10pm On Jul 03, 2012
Congrats dude!!!
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:16pm On Jul 03, 2012
Well done GEJ grin grin grin - FRESH AIR! FRESH AIR! FRESH AIR - all these achievements coming at a time when a humble, shoeless fisherman came into power grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 03, 2012
Good news. We need more of this. Im gon keep working on mine as well. Hopefully, I'd be on some world-class list soon.
Thank you for posting this.
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by Mrchippychappy(m): 7:48pm On Jul 03, 2012
Hope we don't hear allegations of plagiarism soon.
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by akigbemaru: 8:34pm On Jul 03, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:
Hope we don't hear allegations of plagiarism soon.

If you know Rotimi, you wouldn't be saying this. My friend was trying to write SAT and he asked Rotimi over 400 words in the same day and this genius never missed just one word. In American standardized tests, verbal part is always the problem for students, this guy, has had 800/800 in SAT, 800/800 in GRE and 400/400 in GMAT. When Wole Shoyinka makes blunder in English, this guy will tell you that is wrong. This is another Wole Shoyinka in making.

Some people will think this is first term winning prestigious award, nope, he has been winning for the past 12 yrs that I know of. At one time, he won British prestigious award and they were only five people selected all around the world -- they went to three countries, USA, LONDON AND FRANCE.

The funniest thing is, he's just a stammer, but brain full of knowledge!

3 Likes

Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by boyendowed(m): 9:01pm On Jul 03, 2012
Good news.Congrats to Rotimi Babatunde
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 03, 2012
" Up BABS ". keep it up, man.
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by bakenda(m): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2012
I read the winning piece in The Guardian. It is damn so brilliant.
One of the most brilliant pieces I've read in recent times.
There is hope for Nigerian literature.
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by ajanaku2(m): 12:09am On Jul 06, 2012
Waa shere, Omo Iya! Keep representing, Rotimi!...Feel Ya!
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by slap1(m): 4:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
bakenda: I read the winning piece in The Guardian. It is damn so brilliant.
One of the most brilliant pieces I've read in recent times.
There is hope for Nigerian literature.
Can you post the link to the full story, please. . .thanks.
Re: Rotimi Babatunde Wins 13th Caine Prize For 'Bombay Republic' by bakenda(m): 2:27am On Jul 07, 2012
slap1: Can you post the link to the full story, please. . .thanks.

I actually read it in the print newspaper but there is an
online version here.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Your Best Foreign Writer / Beginnigs Of Love And Death / What Does Yahoo Plus 419 Mean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.