Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? (5732 Views)

Donald Trump To Chase Nigerians Out Of US / Cameroonian Soldiers Chase Nigerians Out Of Bakassi (Photo) / South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by kabna(m): 12:43am On Jul 04, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
IS IT TRUE GHANA STARTED THIS GET OUT OF OUR COUNTRY THING? IT SEEMS MANY NIGERIANS DON'T KNOW THIS AND WE TEASE GHANAIANS WITH THIS BUT APPARENTLY THEY DID IT FIRST. IF SO WHY DO THEY NOT TAG US WITH IT AS WE HAVE TAGGED THEM WITH IT?
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by dasparrow: 1:12am On Jul 04, 2012
kabna: [color=#990000][/color]
IS IT TRUE GHANA STARTED THIS GET OUT OF OUR COUNTRY THING? IT SEEMS MANY NIGERIANS DON'T KNOW THIS AND WE TEASE GHANAIANS WITH THIS BUT APPARENTLY THEY DID IT FIRST. IF SO WHY DO THEY NOT TAG US WITH IT AS WE HAVE TAGGED THEM WITH IT?

Yes they did. I found that out here on nairaland. Read this academic piece by Dr Rasheed Olaniyi (Ph.D): http://www.imi.ox.ac.uk/pdfs/rasheed-olaniyi

The reason many Nigerians are not aware that Nigeria got kicked out of Ghana first is because it happened during the height of the biafra war between 1967-1970 and many of us were not yet born into this confused wicked world at that time. The Nigerian people most affected by the deportation exercise were the yorubas according to Dr Olaniyi. He said that Igbo migrants were allowed to remain in Ghana because of the biafra war.

In addition, Ghanian government instructed her citizens not to purchase the homes of the about to be deported Nigerian migrants. So Nigerians ended up leaving behind their homes and investments in Ghana and the Ghanians had a ball with these properties that did not originally belong to them (as mentioned in Olaniyi's paper). This should also serve as a lesson. Before you spend your hard earned money investing in property in another man's land, make sure you have the citizenship or at least permanent residency of the country in question so you don't risk losing your investment.

Anway, if you have adobe acrobat reader installed on your desk computer or laptop, I suggest you read the paper. It is very informative with pictures of some of the Nigerian migrants that were sent back to Nigeria, copies of newspaper articles from back in the day highlighting the deportation exercise and statistical information. It is no wonder Nigeria chose to retaliate in the early 80s when some of us were either infants, toddlers, under 8 years of age or not even born yet.

Hope I answered your question.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by jmaine: 1:19am On Jul 04, 2012
^
Very Insightful . . . . .Thanks for that link smiley
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by Kazeem1987: 3:20am On Jul 04, 2012
It's true. The only difference is Nigeria doesn't b**ch and cry about it. Ghana will ALWAYS hold onto the past though. it's in their nature. They seek to blame Nigeria for all their problems. F**k them as far as I'm concerned. I'm tired of the Ghanaian sob story.
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by dasparrow: 4:10am On Jul 04, 2012
jmaine: ^
Very Insightful . . . . .Thanks for that link smiley

You're most welcome smiley
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by kabna(m): 3:20pm On Jul 04, 2012
I assume bot were linked to economic reasons, that is the natives complaining about the guests taking their means of living abi?

And I also assume that in both cases the other's economy was doing relatively well or at least relative favorable opportunity than the other hence the migration of one group into another country abi?
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 04, 2012
I got this from an elderly Nigerian. He said a lot of Nigerians of the ogbomosho stock were deported circa 1967-70. Most of them were born in Ghana and had no relations with Nigeria. They only had Nigerian names and most of them knew their parents and grandparents migrated from somewhere called ogbomosho in Nigeria. Was told they had it tough integrating with the Nigerian born locals.
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by kabna(m): 5:15pm On Jul 04, 2012
[quote author=saxywale]I got this from an elderly Nigerian. He said a lot of Nigerians of the ogbomosho stock were deported circa 1967-70. Most of them were born in Ghana and had no relations with Nigeria. They only had Nigerian names and most of them knew their parents and grandparents migrated from somewhere called ogbomosho in Nigeria. Was told they had it tough integrating with the Nigerian born locals.[/quote

Well that might not be the whole story so i think it will be informative to read the link posted by the second poster on the subject
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by Dede1(m): 6:14pm On Jul 04, 2012
dasparrow:

Yes they did. I found that out here on nairaland. Read this academic piece by Dr Rasheed Olaniyi (Ph.D): http://www.imi.ox.ac.uk/pdfs/rasheed-olaniyi

The reason many Nigerians are not aware that Nigeria got kicked out of Ghana first is because it happened during the height of the biafra war between 1967-1970 and many of us were not yet born into this confused wicked world at that time. The Nigerian people most affected by the deportation exercise were the yorubas according to Dr Olaniyi. He said that Igbo migrants were allowed to remain in Ghana because of the biafra war.

In addition, Ghanian government instructed her citizens not to purchase the homes of the about to be deported Nigerian migrants. So Nigerians ended up leaving behind their homes and investments in Ghana and the Ghanians had a ball with these properties that did not originally belong to them (as mentioned in Olaniyi's paper). This should also serve as a lesson. Before you spend your hard earned money investing in property in another man's land, make sure you have the citizenship or at least permanent residency of the country in question so you don't risk losing your investment.

Anway, if you have adobe acrobat reader installed on your desk computer or laptop, I suggest you read the paper. It is very informative with pictures of some of the Nigerian migrants that were sent back to Nigeria, copies of newspaper articles from back in the day highlighting the deportation exercise and statistical information. It is no wonder Nigeria chose to retaliate in the early 80s when some of us were either infants, toddlers, under 8 years of age or not even born yet.

Hope I answered your question.

When will these goofy individuals leave Igbo people out of their tribal madness in Nigeria? First of all, Dr. Kofi Abrefo Busia became Ghana Prime Minister on October 1, 1969. The Alliance Compliance Order did not come until Busia was sworn-in on October 1, 1969. One wonders where Dr Olaniyi got the drift that Ndigbo were allowed to stay in Ghana while the Yoruba were deported which led him/her to conclude that Yoruba were more adversely affected than Igbo.

All Africans of non-Ghanaian citizen were affected by the Alliance Compliance Order of 1969. The bulk of Nigerian deported from Ghana peaked after the civil war in January 1970.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by kabna(m): 8:52pm On Jul 09, 2012
Dede1:

When will these goofy individuals leave Igbo people out of their tribal madness in Nigeria? First of all, Dr. Kofi Abrefo Busia became Ghana Prime Minister on October 1, 1969. The Alliance Compliance Order did not come until Busia was sworn-in on October 1, 1969. One wonders where Dr Olaniyi got the drift that Ndigbo were allowed to stay in Ghana while the Yoruba were deported which led him/her to conclude that Yoruba were more adversely affected than Igbo.

All Africans of non-Ghanaian citizen were affected by the Alliance Compliance Order of 1969. The bulk of Nigerian deported from Ghana peaked after the civil war in January 1970.

you seem to have some additional insight can you please post your academic references as well or any well meaning reference for that matter

1 Like

Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by 2mch(m): 8:55pm On Jul 09, 2012
Abeg leave Ghana alone, dem better pass una. If i had my way i will kick Nigerians out of my village too. smh. Only animals live and reason like Nigerians.
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by Bennyboy11: 11:14pm On Jul 09, 2012
Ghana did it in a Civilized way as you would expect
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by ektbear: 6:08am On Jul 10, 2012
Bennyboy11: Ghana did it in a Civilized way as you would expect

You are being sarcastic, right?
Re: Is It True That Ghana Kicked Nigerians Out Of Their Country Before Nigeria Did? by gidson12(m): 12:42pm On Jul 10, 2012
2mch: Abeg leave Ghana alone, dem better pass una. If i had my way i will kick Nigerians out of my village too. smh. Only animals live and reason like Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING FROM VANGUARD NEWS!!! Buhari Gives VP Slot To Tinubu / Why Are Yorubas Not Protesting The Fulanis Forceful Occupation Of Kwara??? / Godwin Emefiele: Tinubu Is Really Taking Good Care Of Him (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.