Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,495 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha (7149 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Invade Enugu Communities, Many Feared Dead / Car Thieves At FCMB Rumumasi In Port Harcourt Caught (Graphic Photos) / Robbers Invade Alausa Secretariat, Cart Away N3 Mn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by youngies(m): 7:40am On Jul 04, 2012
A crime syndicate that specialized in stealing children and selling them in different parts of the country has been smashed by the police. The bubble burst for the gang of suspected child thieves recently after the members had stolen 11 babies from different locations within the commercial city of Onitsha and an investigative journalist helped the police to bring an end to their evil act.

Daily Sun gathered that the gang had turned Onitsha and its environs into a safe haven, until their reign was brought to an end by the combined efforts of the journalist and the police. Even now, two families are at each other's throat over two unclaimed children who were allegedly stolen from their parents in Onitsha.

Little Chimaobi Adina Okoro who was stolen by the suspected leader of the syndicate, identified as Ngozi, from 70, Akunnia Njote Street, Woliwo, Onitsha on February 5, was one of the victims of the syndicate alleged to have stolen many babies and sold them out to different wealthy individuals across the country.

According to the journalist, who is the publisher of a local magazine, The 3rd Eye, Mr. Nweke Nweke, the arrest of the suspects in connection with the disappearance of the 11 babies was made possible through a complaint brought by one of the women whose baby was stolen.

Mr. Nweke said: "One Mrs. Monday Ogba who resides at Central School Road, Obosi in Idemili North Local Government area of Anambra State brought a story to my office to publish about her baby girl, Uchechi Ogba who was eight months old at the time of her theft. One lady had pretended to be the woman's aunt and then stole her baby. When I began investigation, the little housemaid described the lady that pretended to be the victim's aunt and with my connection, the lady was sighted at Lokpa Nta in Umunnochi Local Government area of Imo State."

The publisher said further that when he went to the village and pretended to be a customer to the suspect, Ngozi, he invited a policeman from Akparata police station who assisted him in arresting the suspect. Ngozi is currently in prison in connection with child stealing and child trafficking, He continued: "When Ngozi was arrested, I then came back to Anambra but before then, the mother of Uchechi had reported the matter to Obosi police station and when we came back, the matter was also reported at Awada police station. Then a Deputy Superintendent of Police, (DSP) volunteered her Mercedes Benz and it was used to bring Ngozi back from Imo State to Awada where the crime was committed."

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/1917-baby-thieves-invade-onitsha
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by mimima(f): 7:52am On Jul 04, 2012
wonders shall never cease.Thank God for their arrest
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by youngies(m): 7:59am On Jul 04, 2012
I'm not sure if we have any law in place to deal with thieves stealing babies.

Maybe they can be viewed as just thieves, robbers, kidnappers, abductors etc undecided
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by youngies(m): 8:00am On Jul 04, 2012
On a more serious note, why must every bad thing happen in Onitsha?
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by cyril83(m): 8:57am On Jul 04, 2012
Onitsha again?
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by mattsteve(f): 8:59am On Jul 04, 2012
youngies: On a more serious note, why must every bad thing happen in Onitsha?
wat kinda silly and dumb question is dat.tell me a part of this godforsaken country or a part of the world wer bad things dont happen.we shld b thankfull dat the culprit was caught.
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by maclatunji: 9:01am On Jul 04, 2012
youngies: I'm not sure if we have any law in place to deal with thieves stealing babies.

Maybe they can be viewed as just thieves, robbers, kidnappers, abductors etc undecided

We do! Ask NAPTIP.
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by gbadexy(m): 9:11am On Jul 04, 2012
The publisher of the magazine did a wonderful job, but he too needs to be safety conscious.
He is providing too much details of his involvement in fighting the crime. He may write inside information without describing his active role in foiling crimes.

1 Like

Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by Lordave: 9:12am On Jul 04, 2012
Kirikiri has gotten anoda passenger.
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by gidson12(m): 9:37am On Jul 04, 2012
kind of reminds me of gbomogbomo, and where it all started, your guess is good as mine
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by kcreal(f): 10:02am On Jul 04, 2012
@T@BD so dirty business is an Ibo thing? condemn evil and leave Ibos out of it. ODE
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by youngies(m): 10:07am On Jul 04, 2012
maclatunji:

We do! Ask NAPTIP.

I have just browsed through the NAPTIP Act, can't find any relevant laws relating to baby theft. What they have is more of 'Trafficking'
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 04, 2012
The kidnapping of children is a crime that affects all ethnic groups in Nigeria. Its not just an Igbo thing.
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by lacasa: 10:52am On Jul 04, 2012
From kidnaping armed robbery τ̅o bunkering τ̅o cultism τ̅o baby stealing

Chai! i dey fear SE/SS oo

Anytin 4 money

i no fit stay anywhere near dat side shocked
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by ifyalways(f): 11:28am On Jul 04, 2012
People still take "bluetooths Igbo" hating serious ? tongue
I find some of the city names related to this story fake sha.
No news is news!or new.
The main koko is after they arrest all this child thieves and traffickers, what becomes of them?they are left to roam freely after sometime?
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by princedant: 12:07pm On Jul 04, 2012
Kudos to the police for acting on vital information.....The journalist deserves a national honour...
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by ziccoit: 12:17pm On Jul 04, 2012
Those babies are just expressing the inherited genes. No big deal.
Re: Baby Thieves Invade Onitsha by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 04, 2012
ifyalways: People still take "bluetooths Igbo" hating serious ? tongue
I find some of the city names related to this story fake sha.
No news is news!or new.
The main koko is after they arrest all this child thieves and traffickers, what becomes of them?they are left to roam freely after sometime?

I love ibo girls especially those ones from Imo state.Will you gimmie ya sister ? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Orders Destruction Of 14 Containers Of Tramadol / Fire Guts EKEDC Lagos Island Station in Idumagbo / Nigerian Man Arrested For Heroin Trafficking In India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.