Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network (1270 Views)

Bloggers What Good Advertising Network Do You Use? / Reliable Advertising Network That Pays- Earnprime.com / Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by sweetpawn1: 8:37am On Jul 04, 2012
Have Wikipedia, the so called "Non-Profit" Organization finally succumbed to the economic woes experienced about the globe by resorting to advertising on their website?

I thought I was on the wrong site when I saw the image below!

Guess there's no longer anything such as "Non-Profit" anymore!

Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by mrperfect(m): 1:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
Good for them, so that they can stop worrying about money.
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by Afam4eva(m): 2:13pm On Jul 05, 2012
Are you kidding me? Anyways, i guess the money they get from donations are not enough to keep the website running.
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by Afam4eva(m): 2:15pm On Jul 05, 2012
I just checked now and didn't find any advertisement.
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by yawatide(f): 9:12pm On Jul 05, 2012
If this is true (I can't see ads on my end. Maybe it is location-specific), I see no problems with a non-profit organization placing ads on their site to raise funds, as long as (and this is where Nigeria wouldn't factor, sadly) it is within the laws of the land where the organization was established.

They need money, begging from individuals isn't working, so do they close shop or stay in business, again, within the law. I am pretty sure that if we were a fly on their walls, we would have overheard them discussing placing ads on their site, as part of their overall strategy, should all else fail.

I remember vividly when I launched a news site 5 years ago. I went around asking (and then begging) for people to advertise on there. No responses at all. I was faced with either shutting it down (it takes time, which is money, to update the site every day) or seeking other sources of revenue, within the law. Guess which avenue I took? To "punish" my audience, I place 3 ads per page - top, bottom and right column. So far, no complaints - based on web stats, the site grows by 100% at least every year.

Make dem do wetin work for dem, jare smiley

1 Like

Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by sweetpawn: 9:56pm On Jul 05, 2012
Hmm, Funny and Strange that you guys did not see the ads. Could it be tied to the particular topic I searched for? Which in this case would be "Guillotine" ?

Perhaps the editor of that topic sneaked in a few ads! is that even possible? why did Wikipedia not ban them and get rid of the ads? Does that mean that editors can now place their ads on the topics that created on Wikipedia?

Hmm, I wonder. . . I just wonder! shocked
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 06, 2012
Why guillotine? Haba!! Well, me, i no see am for advertisement o.
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by Afam4eva(m): 9:42am On Jul 06, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
If this is true (I can't see ads on my end. Maybe it is location-specific), I see no problems with a non-profit organization placing ads on their site to raise funds, as long as (and this is where Nigeria wouldn't factor, sadly) it is within the laws of the land where the organization was established.

They need money, begging from individuals isn't working, so do they close shop or stay in business, again, within the law. I am pretty sure that if we were a fly on their walls, we would have overheard them discussing placing ads on their site, as part of their overall strategy, should all else fail.

I remember vividly when I launched a news site 5 years ago. I went around asking (and then begging) for people to advertise on there. No responses at all. I was faced with either shutting it down (it takes time, which is money, to update the site every day) or seeking other sources of revenue, within the law. Guess which avenue I took? To "punish" my audience, I place 3 ads per page - top, bottom and right column. So far, no complaints - based on web stats, the site grows by 100% at least every year.

Make dem do wetin work for dem, jare smiley
I don't see anything wrong with a non-profit ogarnization running ads on their site because their aim is not to make profit but to source for funds to run the website and also pay their staff. Harvard is also a non-profit organization but they collect school fees just like every other school. But their aim is to use the money they get to better the lot of the school and not to make profit.

Btw, can i know which news site you're referring to?
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by item: 10:05am On Jul 06, 2012
That maybe the beginning of their downfall. I tell you!
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by Afam4eva(m): 10:07am On Jul 06, 2012
item: That maybe the beginning of their downfall. I tell you!
Do you mind explaining why you think so?
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by sweetpawn1: 11:25am On Jul 06, 2012
*dhtml:
Why guillotine? Haba!! Well, me, i no see am for advertisement o.

Hmm, that's serious. . .

I will make more research into the matter!
As to why guillotine, I wanted to have more insight on the gimmick that was designed to wipe out the French Monarchy.
Just watched a Series Movie on "Tudor" about King Henry and I was intrigued at the thought that the same traditions held
by the British all those years ago, were still reserved to this day, while the French as Spartacus would say, "Killed Them All" with the Guillotine.

Obviously the French Monarchy must have been EVIL!
Wonder if the same thing can happen in Nigeria? What device would we create for that? grin
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by yawatide(f): 5:44pm On Jul 06, 2012
Btw, can i know which news site you're referring to?

YIM me...
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by Afam4eva(m): 5:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
yawa-ti-de:

YIM me...
I will but i'm curious why it's under G. It is a public website?
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by yawatide(f): 12:05pm On Jul 07, 2012
huh? What is under G?
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by Afam4eva(m): 12:21pm On Jul 07, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
huh? What is under G?
Underground.

Btw, I've added you but you've not accepted.
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by binaflexia: 1:30am On Jul 08, 2012
I think the OP PC is hit by a spyware that runs advert on any site he/she visits. Just checked wikipedia.org no sign of advertisement.

1 Like

Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by yawatide(f): 11:34am On Jul 08, 2012
afam4eva,

As long as my sites are online, they can't be UG. Having said that, I have pointed out in the past that I am not here to advertise myself or what I do but to share, impart and absorb knowledge. To that effect, I only share what I do privately. I don't want what I do to be misconstrued as blowing my own trumpet or unauthorized advertising.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.

1 Like

Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by Afam4eva(m): 11:39am On Jul 08, 2012
I get you.

But why haven't you confirmed my YIM request.
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by yawatide(f): 11:42am On Jul 08, 2012
Could it be because I haven't logged in yet? tongue

Blessed are the Patient for they shall surely get their YIM friend request approved tongue
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by yawatide(f): 2:09am On Jul 10, 2012
So I was watching a CNN show yesterday and as it turns out, this seeing ads where they normally don't show might not be unrelated to the DNS changer virus that was set to strike on yesterday. One of the symptoms, prior to yesterday's shutting down of internet service was the showing of ads where they normally wouldn't be.

OP can you confirm, when you can, that you don't have the DNS changer bug?
Re: Alas! Wikipedia Finally Joins Advertising Network by instinctg(m): 4:20pm On Jul 10, 2012
na now dem de wake up

(1) (Reply)

Vanguardngr.com Is Reporting "Attack Page" / Recommend A Good E-commerce Software / Voguepay Has Removed The N3000 Limit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.